November 30, 2020, 07:53:20 AM

Author Topic: Season 2015/16  (Read 287639 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2015/16
« Reply #855 on: March 04, 2016, 04:11:21 PM »
Is true, but then there's the issue of inherent inconsistency I hate to say.

It's been my conviction for a while now we'll see a winning points tally below 75 points for the first time in the PL era. I am also convinced this will be the most crazy run in, in living memory. Here's why:

*Leicester - they've been absolutely awesome. They have overachieved to an unprecedented level. What's more, they are still due a dip in form lest they would replicate the incredible achievement of the "Invincibles" of sorts. I can't shake the feeling they might all of a sudden go on a losing streak. Not saying it'll happen but it would surprise me heavily if doesn't.

*Spurs - have also made big strides this season. Pochettino's done a fantastic job during his 18 months at the club. However, they do not have a very good squad. I'd say our squad is far better although their starting XI is at least equal to our. However, their remaining fixtures are indeed tough. Tougher than anyone elses by far. They have very few givens like Villa or Norwich at home. They will also play Dortmund twice in the coming weeks.

*Arsenal - they lost 3-2 to an incredibly injury stricken United and 2-1 at home to an almost equally injury struck Swansea. They seem to lose confidence at the worst possible time. Still my favorites to win it.

*City - are similar to us in that few can meet their highs whereas noone above position 15 can meet their lows. Their away form's been abysmal all season and having lost the last 2 home games they're bound to lose a lot more before this is all over. Their best chance to qualify for next season's CL is probably by winning it this year.

*United - a bit worried. It is a sign of strength to win against Arsenal and Watford with so many injuries. I fear they're hitting something at this time. Fairly confident they'll finish top-4.

*Liverpool - we'll get some much needed rest next weekend as the homefixture against Chelsea's been postponed due to their FA-cup committments. On paper our run in is fairly generous but we all know that count's for little after beating Chelsea and City comfortably away only to drop points to Norwich and Sunderland at home. If we somehow manage to find some sort of consistency during our final 11 games we'll be in with a good chance to finish top 4. Nothing really suggest that will happen though.

How it'll finish:

1. Arsenal
2. Man Utd
3. Leicester
4. Spurs
5. City
6. Liverpool

The Mancs have stuttered into a mini run of form a couple of times this season but haven't been able to maintain it, so I'm not convinced they're on a roll of any sort. Having said that, they're form over the whole season, our win against City and our results when we've played the Mancs over the last two seasons doesn't make me the least bit more confident for our chances in the UEFA Cup.

Leicester haven't had injuries to contend with and it may well be that continues as it's far easier to play carrying an injury when you're top of the league. Rightly so they see no pressure on themselves, so I don't see a dip in form from a sudden attack of vertigo.

Arsenal could go into freefall or bounce back with four straight wins. They always seem to have a major wobble but still never enough to finish outside the top four or even look in danger of doing so.

Is Pellegrini a lame duck, dead man walking or are all the players going to be playing for a future under Guardiola? The answer will be whether they bounce back and get their challenge back on track all the way to the last game.

Spurs could easily do it. Poch has them looking like they all enjoy being at the club and playing for him and each other, and after so many years in Arsenal's shade they'd relish rather than fear the chance of both finishing ahead of Arsenal and finishing top of the entire pile.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: March 04, 2016, 04:13:54 PM »
We'll be missing our best centre half, as Lucas is out for 6 weeks with a thigh strain.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-team-news-lucas-10991998

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: March 04, 2016, 04:22:57 PM »
It's a shame Brad Smith's not in the provisional squad for Palace, as it would be risky playing Flanno again, and Clyne could go back over to right back, with Smith at left back.

Maybe Klopp could try moving Moreno forward like 'Arry did with Bale and see if he can make a worthwhile contribution there, as he seems to be getting worse in terms of positional sense and sheer rashness of tackles, and I can't see us going forward without upgrading him.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: March 04, 2016, 06:47:41 PM »
Cech is out for a month with a calf injury, so maybe that's advantage Leicester and Spurs once more. I wonder if Arsenal want Mignolet on loan until the end of the season?  ;D

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: March 04, 2016, 07:17:36 PM »
We've no chance of 4th. If we haven't shown consistency from August to March then we won't show it from March to May.

I expect us to finish 7th as I forsee both manc clubs and West Ham finishing above us. I think we'll be a degree of two more consistent but nothing major.

Man Utd surely can't beat us 6 times in a row?! I know we did it to them 5 times and I think they'll do it to us 5 times too.....but I think we'll beat them at Old Trafford and go through on away goals!

My prediction is the mancs beat us 2-1 at Anfield but we'll beat them 3-2 at Old Trafford with us scoring the 3rd in the last minute of injury time   ;D

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: March 05, 2016, 09:31:15 PM »
Cech is out for a month with a calf injury, so maybe that's advantage Leicester and Spurs once more. I wonder if Arsenal want Mignolet on loan until the end of the season?  ;D

:) :) :)

Leicester are now 5 points clear, with 9 games to play.

Spurs have superior goal difference - but are still involved in Europe.

Arsenal are 8 points behind Leicester.

Only 9 games to go!   Please, please, please.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: March 05, 2016, 09:44:11 PM »
We've no chance of 4th. If we haven't shown consistency from August to March then we won't show it from March to May.

I expect us to finish 7th as I forsee both manc clubs and West Ham finishing above us. I think we'll be a degree of two more consistent but nothing major.

Man Utd surely can't beat us 6 times in a row?! I know we did it to them 5 times and I think they'll do it to us 5 times too.....but I think we'll beat them at Old Trafford and go through on away goals!

My prediction is the mancs beat us 2-1 at Anfield but we'll beat them 3-2 at Old Trafford with us scoring the 3rd in the last minute of injury time   ;D

you're most likely right Edward re West Ham and Utd finishing ahead of us.

Utd and West Ham are refusing to give up, and are hanging on to the coat-trails of City and Arsenal.

Consistency is what is hurting us i.e. lack of it.

But can you imagine, if Klopp had a decent set of players, what we could do.   And I mean 2 or 3 top players could make all the difference.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: March 05, 2016, 11:18:54 PM »

It's ironic that the Mancs stand between us and a UEFA Cup spot for next season in the league and in the actual competition itself this season.

After West Ham's win at Everton today, or rather the manner of it, they are well and truly in the mix for 5th, and for us to even get that means finishing ahead of them (and we've already played them twice) and one of the teams that failed in their attempt at a top four finish.

The points gap is still significant considering you can't be confident we'll pick up what you'd expect us to in any single game.

The UEFA Cup has to be priority, surely. It's a shame Flanno's not in the UEFA Cup squad and we've no real cover for either full back spot and we have to rely on Moreno.

I expect the Mancs will target our left side in both games with Moreno playing there.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: March 06, 2016, 03:38:12 PM »
a straightforward victory at Palace.

never any doubts....played them off the pitch.

;D

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: March 06, 2016, 06:20:02 PM »
First time in it's history that Liverpool have ever won a game coming from behind with 10 men!
Rode our luck a tad though, has to be said.
 :D ;D

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: March 06, 2016, 09:29:13 PM »
First time in it's history that Liverpool have ever won a game coming from behind with 10 men!
Rode our luck a tad though, has to be said.
 :D ;D

In a way it's fair to say we were lucky, though a 1-1 result would probably say we were unlucky on Morone's shot in the post. For a change we made our luck. We wanted the win and we fought for it. I was very impressed by our performance after Milner's sending off. He was clumsy and he knows it but I really thought he had another impressive performance for us. 

Henderson, Firmino and Lallana remain a problem and is cause for deep concern. Play another 10 games like this and we won't win more than 2. Again all three of them let us down. Henderson must start asking himself if he's content with playing it sideways/backwards 9 times out of 10? Lallana and Firmino were back to their ineffective best doing their best to find the more difficult option causing us to lose the fine rythm we hade during the opening quarter. Not to mention their cowardness and sloppyness on Palace's opening goal.

Cred where it's due. Mignolet was good. And so were Sakho and Lovren. For all the criticism Moreno recieves it remains a mystery to me why Flanagan seem immune?
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: March 07, 2016, 04:06:58 PM »
Henderson, Firmino and Lallana remain a problem and is cause for deep concern. Play another 10 games like this and we won't win more than 2. Again all three of them let us down.

Lallana and Firmino were back to their ineffective best

we must be watching a different game, Martin!   :D

Firmino has been only 9 months playing in England, and has yet to peak.  Yet, he has scored 7 goals in his last 8 premiership games.   

In 2016 so far, adding together both his goals and assists, Firmino has the greatest number of goal involvements in the whole league, ahead of the likes of Sergio Aguero, Harry Kane and Riyad Mahrez.   Since January 1, the forward has contributed seven strikes and four assists....11 total.  That combined tally is more than any other player in the Premier League - Sergio Aguero and Diego Costa have both had a hand in 10 goals this year.

And Firmino will only get better, in his second and third seasons in the premiership.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: March 07, 2016, 07:26:14 PM »
You are both right. Firmino does the business in terms of goals and assists. However his general build up play needs improving and his decision making also needs improving in terms of choosing the right and often easiest option at the right time. However you can't complain with his output in 2016.

I look forward to Klopp moulding him into a player suited to his needs.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: March 07, 2016, 08:59:25 PM »
You are both right.

The art of diplomacy is alive!  I detect a politician!   :)

Martin essentially says, Firmino is rubbish.   Whereas, I essentially say that Firmino is great, and will only get better.

And Henry Kissenger says, "you are both right."   ;D   

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: March 07, 2016, 10:36:29 PM »
Not complaining about his output in terms of goals, just don't think his overall game is even close to good enough. Is often careless with the ball, poor decision making making us predictable, slows down our attacking game by always seeking the difficult option. It's not like he's taken us places. And this "he's-only-been-here-for-9-months"-argument I don't buy. We payed 30 million for the lad.

It's a fact we  if play like we did yesterday we'll lose at least 8 out of 10 games. Firmino was a big reason we played like we did yesterday. I have a much lesser problem seeing Benteke coming good for us than Firmino unless he change his game radically.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.