February 28, 2020, 11:27:02 AM

Author Topic: Season 2015/16  (Read 215484 times)

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2015/16
« Reply #975 on: April 12, 2016, 07:00:12 AM »
The ability to keep possession is a vital commodity and knowing when to do that, rather than force things with a too adventurous a pass, is a good quality to have. As a young player he's bound to more cautious to begin with when given a rare first team opportunity, but it doesn't mean to say he doesn't have it in him to pick a more progressive pass should the opportunity arise.

I agree with all of that Tes wholeheartedly. However, I had Gerrard  in his 23rd year in mind as I desperately want to see a second coming, if you catch my drift?
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: April 12, 2016, 03:39:02 PM »
Origi is going to be for us what Heskey was for the 00-02 team.....and believe me that is a compliment. Origi has the added bonus of having more composure in front of goal too.

to me, Heskey was like the bloke from the Green Mile - a big semi-mobile piece of granite, that had minimal striking abilities......but was our way of holding the ball up, for young Owen to make hay with.

Whereas Origi is very fast, mobile, has technical ability, and knows where the goal is at.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: April 12, 2016, 04:58:05 PM »
to me, Heskey was like the bloke from the Green Mile - a big semi-mobile piece of granite, that had minimal striking abilities......but was our way of holding the ball up, for young Owen to make hay with.

Whereas Origi is very fast, mobile, has technical ability, and knows where the goal is at.

A bit unfair to Heskey who scored 22 goals in the treble winning season if memory serves. Not many 2nd strikers managed to pull off that feat since. This season our top striker will barely make it to double digits.

I agree on Origi though. His development last 6 months is nothing short of fantastic. It may yet turn out this was his best few weeks ever, but I share your description of his qualities.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: April 12, 2016, 05:41:51 PM »
A bit unfair to Heskey who scored 22 goals in the treble winning season if memory serves.

fair enough, but we did played 150 game that treble winning season. 

my memory of Emile, good lad that he was, is that he couldn't hit a banjo with a cow's a,r,se.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: April 12, 2016, 06:02:15 PM »
Origi's development last 6 months is nothing short of fantastic. It may yet turn out this was his best few weeks ever, but I share your description of his qualities.

Clearly Klopp has great faith in Origi. 

And I suggest that the attributes that Origi displays, are the same ones that Klopp demands in his players - namely hard work, closing down, speed, technical ability, putting an opponent on the back foot.   Can you imagine how Klopp would have loved working with Suarez.   A marriage made in heaven.

I see Benteke getting moved on this summer.  And I suspect that Sturridge (superb that he is, technically) is not 100 percent safe either. 

But what does seem clear (and you will like this Martin) is that Klopp is completely rebuilding our midfield - notably the central part. 

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: April 14, 2016, 03:36:50 PM »
A few more hours til the Dortmund game begins.

No Henderson - so I imagine Joe Allen plays.

Henderson will be a massive miss in the middle of the park.   

The other big decision, is whether we start up front with Sturridge or Origi. 

I think we need to score goals tonight - because Dortmund will score at least one or two.....so we have to win the game on the night.  I am thinking 3-2 or so.....maybe 4-2, or 4-3.   There definitely will be goals.  IMHO   Both teams will attack, and it will be a pretty open game - especially with an early goal.

Given that we most likely need to score a few, I would have imagined Klopp would - on the tiny balance of probabilities - have started with Sturridge.    BUT, with Hendo's steel, guts and energy levels missing from the middle of the park.....would Klopp be tempted to instead go with Origi (to add energy and steel).

We definitely need our magical Brazilian duo, to be on fire tonight.  If they have their shooting boots on, then they can fire this tie beyond Dortmund.

We snuffed out Dortmund in the first leg.  They ran out of ideas.  They just couldn't break us down.  If our defence can hold firm tonight, aided by our midfielders, then Dortmund are in for another tough night.

Dortmund will have to go for it.  They will leave themselves open and vulnerable at times.  I hope we can take advantage.  And I hope one away goal, from the first leg, is sufficient.

Up and at em!   YNWA!!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: April 14, 2016, 08:52:54 PM »
I'm sorry if this sounds politically incorrect.  But the time for a minute's silence was at the weekend.  IMHO

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: April 14, 2016, 08:56:07 PM »
two-nil down after 9 minutes.

A nightmare start. Our lads were dozing, and not at the game (don't start me on the minute's silence before such a crucial tie). 

Our Brazilian duo so far have not found their shooting boots.

Klopp will have to make changes at half time, or early in the second half.

Sturridge will need to come on, sooner rather than later.

We badly need goals. 

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: April 14, 2016, 08:58:34 PM »
I accept that they are a far better team than us. I do not accept, however, to watch such a bunch of mediocre players representing the once mighty Liverpool. The minute I saw both Lallana and Firmino in the starting line-up I knew we were doomed (ask 224 for reference). Klopp got this one badly wrong. One also have to question his ability to instill a winning mentality in this mediocre squad. It was a long time since I last felt so humiliated watching us play.

At least we stayed in the tie for an impressive 8 minutes.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: April 14, 2016, 09:04:21 PM »
upward and onward

45 more minutes.

with an early goal, let's see how they handle it.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: April 14, 2016, 09:07:42 PM »
upward and onward

45 more minutes.

with an early goal, let's see how they handle it.

I admire your optimism, brother.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: April 14, 2016, 09:09:25 PM »
Exactly what did the inept and useless Firmino and Lalalalalana do to merit a 2nd half start??????????? Talk about rolling over.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: April 14, 2016, 09:11:29 PM »
Origi - the only player in our team with a proper cock!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: April 14, 2016, 09:20:24 PM »
1-3

fuken ballwatching defenders

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: April 14, 2016, 09:22:27 PM »
I knew we'd have to score a hatful to beat Dortmund.

but I had hoped we wouldn't gift them a load of goals.

we badly miss Hendo.   It's clear how they are bossing the middle of the park.