February 28, 2020, 12:44:05 PM

Author Topic: Season 2015/16  (Read 215548 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2015/16
« Reply #990 on: April 14, 2016, 09:29:56 PM »
2-3

countinho

you little beauty
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: April 14, 2016, 09:39:47 PM »
hummels should be off...clearly held Origi back

endless pressure and corners....but we can't clear the first man with our corners.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: April 14, 2016, 09:40:35 PM »
3-3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sakho!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: April 14, 2016, 10:01:45 PM »
an awesome night.   :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

to come back from 0-2 down after 9 minutes, against one of the finest teams in Europe, is stunning.

Superb effort.

BUT.   I really think that the club needs to seriously address when our minute's silence is held. 

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: April 14, 2016, 10:48:19 PM »

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: April 14, 2016, 10:58:23 PM »
Woooooooooooooooooow! If that wasn't on par with Istanbul!!! To see both our centre-backs score to take us through. Still, they were by far the better team and only their cocky manager can be blamed for letting this slip by keeping the formation that saw them run away with a 3-1 lead.

Still cred to the lads. What a difference it made to see Lallana and Firmino leave the pitch. I am totally at a loss at how we pulled this one off but it was a huge statement of Klopp to take us past a side that saw off the every so hyped Spurs with ease.

I hope we draw Shaktar. They will give us the space we need. Drawing Villareal would be an absolute nightmare.

Well done lads!
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: April 14, 2016, 11:07:56 PM »
Still, they were by far the better team and only their cocky manager can be blamed for letting this slip

:-[ ???

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

only you could come up with that, Martin!!!!

bloddy h.ell Martin, we played them to a standstill in Germany, and should have scored more.

Tonight, we started the game sleeping and gave them a two goal lead.....and then Hummels should have been sent off, for a second yellow (when he dragged back Origi).

The final half hour, Dortmund had their backs to the wall, they were defending for their lives.

Awesome.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: April 14, 2016, 11:16:15 PM »
We were gods tonight!
Terrible start and somehow through sheer spirit we did it.
Tonight was what being a Liverpool supporter is all about.
FECKING Glorious!!!!!!!

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: April 15, 2016, 09:06:50 AM »
:-[ ???

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

only you could come up with that, Martin!!!!

bloddy h.ell Martin, we played them to a standstill in Germany, and should have scored more.

Tonight, we started the game sleeping and gave them a two goal lead.....and then Hummels should have been sent off, for a second yellow (when he dragged back Origi).

The final half hour, Dortmund had their backs to the wall, they were defending for their lives.

Awesome.

Yes, but the first 60 minutes their display oooozed of class. Their pressing game, positional awareness, passing was brilliant. I haven't seen us so outplayed in the opening 60 since Rafa's Valencia gave us a lesson back in 2002, was it? We thouroughly deserved to go through and created more chances than they over 180 minutes. But as a team I would say they have come farther than we have.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: April 15, 2016, 03:16:43 PM »
Yes, but the first 60 minutes their display oooozed of class. Their pressing game, positional awareness, passing was brilliant. I haven't seen us so outplayed in the opening 60 since Rafa's Valencia gave us a lesson back in 2002, was it? We thouroughly deserved to go through and created more chances than they over 180 minutes. But as a team I would say they have come farther than we have.

you are right, they oozed class, Martin - especially that first hour.

I watched the game again last night, in the early hours.....to try and understand it better.

Goodness, how did the Germans not win that game.   When they were two nil up, they had several good opportunities to make it three-nil.  We were living absolutely on the edge of the abyss.

But I suppose then again, we deserved to score ourselves in that first half, given one or two decent chances we had.

So what changed in that final 30 minutes.

Dortmund stopped going forward - they stopped being the threat that they had been previous.

Did their boss decide "ok, we hold what we have"......or did the Dortmund players subconsciously sit back deeper.....or was it caused by the substitutions.   Dortmund did bring on defenders.....and we brought on offensive players.

For whatever reason, we dominated that final 30 minutes.

Of course, it could have been the amazing atmosphere at Anfield.  The Dortmund players, who are used to their own wall of sound (in their own amazing stadium), surprisingly, looked stage-struck in the final 20 minutes. 

Maybe a mixture of the various issues.  I do think that Dortmund's young manager did make some mistakes, down I bet to inexperience.  And I think we have some lessons to learn as well.  e.g.  When held back with both arms by Hummels, if Origi goes down, then the ref has a decision to make re Hummels and a red card.  I am not a fan of diving - but when you are being fouled, and the defender is already on a yellow....

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: April 16, 2016, 10:12:39 PM »
you are right, they oozed class, Martin - especially that first hour.

I watched the game again last night, in the early hours.....to try and understand it better.

Goodness, how did the Germans not win that game.   When they were two nil up, they had several good opportunities to make it three-nil.  We were living absolutely on the edge of the abyss.

But I suppose then again, we deserved to score ourselves in that first half, given one or two decent chances we had.

So what changed in that final 30 minutes.

Dortmund stopped going forward - they stopped being the threat that they had been previous.

Did their boss decide "ok, we hold what we have"......or did the Dortmund players subconsciously sit back deeper.....or was it caused by the substitutions.   Dortmund did bring on defenders.....and we brought on offensive players.

For whatever reason, we dominated that final 30 minutes.

Of course, it could have been the amazing atmosphere at Anfield.  The Dortmund players, who are used to their own wall of sound (in their own amazing stadium), surprisingly, looked stage-struck in the final 20 minutes. 

Maybe a mixture of the various issues.  I do think that Dortmund's young manager did make some mistakes, down I bet to inexperience.  And I think we have some lessons to learn as well.  e.g.  When held back with both arms by Hummels, if Origi goes down, then the ref has a decision to make re Hummels and a red card.  I am not a fan of diving - but when you are being fouled, and the defender is already on a yellow....

You've touched upon them but I believe two things went in our favour. Firstly, they thought it was all over when Reus scored. I can't blame them but that took a couple of percentages off their up until then excellent urgency, intensity. Secondly, Tuchel also thought the game was dead thereby deciding to stick with his formation to prove to the world he doesn't change his gameplan. That allowed us the space for our second which really turned the game in our favor. Had we scored just 5-6 minutes later it would probably have been too late. So you're right in pointing to his inexperience.

We don't, however, the way I see it have any reason whatsoever to apologize for coming back to win progression. As I said above we probably should've scored at least 2 more at their place (Origi and Lovren both missed total sitters). Our place in the semis is well and truly deserved!

What worries me the most tho in terms of winning the whole chabang is our mediocre and substandard midfield. Especially now that Can is out for the reminder of the season. This is the most urgent area to strengthen in the summer alongside the goalie.

Provided we get Matip in and Ings back (who I am confident will be a massive massive hit under Klopp) I would say we're covered at the back and up front. In time we'll need to replace both Clyne and Moreno but Rome wasn't built in a day an'all.

I thought we were fairly unlucky to draw Villarreal who I rate the toughest oppontent remaining. Playing the return game at Anfield is a massive, massive advantage if we can return with a hard fought draw or possibly a single goal defeat. I'd say it's pretty much 50-50 we go through to the final.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 10:17:42 PM by Martinmarx »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: April 18, 2016, 11:10:39 PM »
I thought we were fairly unlucky to draw Villarreal who I rate the toughest oppontent remaining. Playing the return game at Anfield is a massive, massive advantage if we can return with a hard fought draw or possibly a single goal defeat. I'd say it's pretty much 50-50 we go through to the final.

By playing the best team left in the competition we know we have to be at 100% to get through.

We're still on course to meet Sevilla in the final.

3 reasons why I want Sevilla in the final:

1. We have a chance to stop them winning the competition for 3 years running and being the first team to do it.
2. We get a chance to draw level with them on 4 wins and be joint most successful team in the competition's history. We were once the most successful team in this competition.
3. We have a chance to win a competition by beating the reigning holders, which is always a sweeter victory.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: April 20, 2016, 09:00:18 PM »
2-0 up at half time........the gulf in class is clear to see but I can see them getting a scrawny goal, so a third and a fourth please reds!!

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: April 21, 2016, 11:06:17 AM »
What a performance from minute 20 onwards. We really are the form-team in the league right now. The mere fact we're mathematically inside the possibility of finishing 4th is a strong testament to the impact Klopp's had despite the large number of injuries and games we've had.

I think we've played some 15 games more than Leicester and certainly 5-6 more than Spurs who seem unable to put up a fight unless it's the League.

I was gutted to see Origi injured. Thankfully it wasn't broken and hopefully his ligaments aren't too badly damaged.

Everton really are a mess!  ;D

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: April 21, 2016, 07:27:23 PM »
That performance against the blue noses was like watching us in the 80's #masterclass
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!