August 23, 2019, 04:23:45 PM

Author Topic: Has the question of balance been addressed?  (Read 2229 times)

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
Has the question of balance been addressed?
« on: July 20, 2015, 06:02:58 PM »
I was thinking over the weekend and today regarding that all important word regarding our team and in fact any team - a word that Dude loves  ;D - Balance.

Thinking about balance in connection to our signings as well and I really do think we have addressed the areas which most concerned us last season.

Clyne is a certainly an upgrade on Johnson and defensively is probably the best right back we've had on our books since Arbeloa.

We've signed Gomez and from what we've seen at Charlton plus in this pre-season fixtures will not be going out on loan but competing for a first team spot. From what I can see he has bundles of pace, good reading ability and is strong. With Ilori seemingly also being gifted an opportunity with us it means we have a couple of pacy CB's as back up - therefore no need to buy first team players in that area. It means this is a big season for Lovren and Sakho though.

With Gerrard going - and to some supporters he unbalanced the midfield a lot - we've addressed that by bringing in Milner. Teixeira it seems will also be given an opportunity. But for me Milner is a key, key signing. He brings a LOT of balance and discipline to the midfield.

We then spent hard on another creative player in Roberto Firmino who can also play as a false No. 9. However its his creative abilities which will give us an extra dimension in our attacking unit. So often last season we solely relied upon Coutinho for creativity. With Firmino and a fit again Lallana who's had a pre-season - which is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT - it now gives us 3 superb creative talents with all 3 having very good finishing ability. That is something I've noticed actually that we're looking to get goals from other areas in these signings and we've got some great finishers in the squad.

Up front we've brought in Ings and Benteke. Ings is to replace Aspas and Borini and he is an upgrade on both. For £5m it's a great deal. Plus he'll know his role in the squad and is obviously satisfied with that. Origi has that raw ability and adds phyisciality and pace. Benteke coming in brings another interesting thought about balancing the attack. Because he isn't renowned for pressing or for his intricate passing. But what he does do is run the channels, use his physicality to bully defenders and use his immense finishing. However what he won't offer his pressing or 1-2-1's with the AM's.

So from what I have seen we've attempted to redress the balance issue by buying players that will fix that problem - or at least in theory having the ability to fix it.

Of course the bigger problem will be are the players going to be fighting hard for Brendan and if we don't do well in the opening months the pressure will be immense. So how they cope with that internally with the management and externally from the supporters will be key.

But I can't think of another transfer window in recent times in which we've signed players that are naturally going to balance out the team/squad.

Additionally we will be wearing New Balance on our shirts so yeah  ::)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Has the question of balance been addressed?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 09:16:06 PM »

Yes, yes you really did. You really went there.  :-\
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 10:23:35 PM »
The transfers seem more cohesive as a collective. Last Summer was just a complete mess and followed no sort of logic or pattern.

We've not been as obsessed with birth certificates either. We're still light on the experience side but there's no point bringing in anyone just for the sake of experience, if they don't improve a place in the first 11.

The other thing that has levelled itself out is there's no 'obvious' star, certainly no 'world class player', which is negative on the one hand, but unless you've got several, then there's always the 'one man team' label or too many can rely on that one to get us 'going' or drag us out of the smelly stuff.

There's no 'un-dropable' player. I think the question marks over Benteke 'fitting in or not' has almost rendered his fee immaterial, or at least has taken the edge off it, and the 'overpriced flop' label (if it becomes justified) will seem like a 'fait accompli' and just a mere statement of fact, rather than a stick to bash anyone with. Sterling so far is the 'one' that needs to live up to his 'billing fee' and has fortunately overshadowed Benteke, and you can see the Mancs 'overpaying Shaw-like' the nearer the end of the window we get without them signing a 'neon star'. The ageing Schweinsteiger has slipped in almost unnoticed to top his pension up.

We've no 'overhyped' youngster. Thankfully the 'Can love-in' lasted as long as Germany's participation in the competition. If Ibe goes out on loan, for at least the first half of the season, then that takes him out of the immediate firing line of being 'Sterling's replacement', and would also give room for the likes of Markovic and Firmino, along with Lallana to help collectively 'fill the void' (if there is one), leaving Ibe with 'just' the 'job' of breaking into the team and learning his trade, rather than having a 'Sterling shaped albatross' to lug about.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 07:00:13 PM »
Yes, yes you really did. You really went there.  :-\

;D

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 10:46:24 AM »
I was thinking over the weekend and today regarding that all important word regarding our team and in fact any team - a word that Dude loves  ;D - Balance.

Thinking about balance in connection to our signings as well and I really do think we have addressed the areas which most concerned us last season.

So from what I have seen we've attempted to redress the balance issue by buying players that will fix that problem - or at least in theory having the ability to fix it.

Of course the bigger problem will be are the players going to be fighting hard for Brendan and if we don't do well in the opening months the pressure will be immense. So how they cope with that internally with the management and externally from the supporters will be key.

But I can't think of another transfer window in recent times in which we've signed players that are naturally going to balance out the team/squad.

;D

Balance is about offensive versus defensive.

Houllier was massively, and fist-through-doors-frustratingly, defensive.

Evans was a tad too much on the light-weight offensive side.

Balance was beyond tractor-like Hodgson.  And Kenny didn't have much of a clue either.

Rafa had it spot on, IMHO.  A perfect balance.

Rodgers is way too offense minded.  He's similar to Keegan.  And unfortunately, has no plan b, nor can he spot issues and fix them in live games.

We have, for the second summer running, brought in half a new team.

That in itself, tells it's own story.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 03:06:48 PM »

Rodgers is way too offense minded.  He's similar to Keegan.  And unfortunately, has no plan b, nor can he spot issues and fix them in live games.

We have, for the second summer running, brought in half a new team.

That in itself, tells it's own story.

Taggart's teams were always thought of as offensive, but Rodgers' style feels more 'gung-ho' and 'caution to the wind' rather than being on the forward foot but with the back door firmly locked and bolted behind it.

You need to have seemless transition from one to the other and back again.

Taggart's teams, and Aberdeen were the same as his Manc ones, always pushed up and compressed space behind the attack. Therefore, the opposition were always made to feel under pressure. They were either being attacked, or when they had the ball, were squeezed and compressed within their own half.

I remember thinking the same when Rafa brought his Valancia team to play us. We just always seemed to be under pressure, whether Valancia were coming forward or immediately pressurising us and limiting time and space when we had the ball.

We always seem wide open in midfield for the opposition to stroll through and get to attack the heart of the defence too easily. With a 4-3-3 we should be able to lock down the centre of the pitch and force the opposition to have to go wide, where it's easier to contain them within less space and the automatic barrier of the touchline.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 01:41:47 PM »
Taggart's teams were always thought of as offensive, but Rodgers' style feels more 'gung-ho' and 'caution to the wind' rather than being on the forward foot but with the back door firmly locked and bolted behind it.

You need to have seemless transition from one to the other and back again.

Taggart's teams, and Aberdeen were the same as his Manc ones, always pushed up and compressed space behind the attack. Therefore, the opposition were always made to feel under pressure. They were either being attacked, or when they had the ball, were squeezed and compressed within their own half.

I remember thinking the same when Rafa brought his Valancia team to play us. We just always seemed to be under pressure, whether Valancia were coming forward or immediately pressurising us and limiting time and space when we had the ball.

We always seem wide open in midfield for the opposition to stroll through and get to attack the heart of the defence too easily. With a 4-3-3 we should be able to lock down the centre of the pitch and force the opposition to have to go wide, where it's easier to contain them within less space and the automatic barrier of the touchline.

absolutely.

fergie and rafa's teams always made you feel under pressure.

it's all about balance, and a seamless transition (as you say above) between defence and attack.

Going back to our dominant era, you;d see Ian Rush defending from the front, when we did not have the ball.   Opposition never got a moment's peace.

But it's based around hard work.   I often don't see the hard work, or brain power necessary, in Rodger's sides.

It's way too easy for the opposition to stroll through our midfield. 

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 08:28:31 PM »

Has the question of balance been addressed?

NO

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 12:47:11 PM »

"Meet the New Balance, same as the old balance" - sorry Mr Townsend, you're words shouldn't be disrespected in that way. But 'blame Brendan'

'Blame Brendan' does quite fit the song as well as 'Canada'. As we've already discovered, he's (Brendan) short of a syllable.