September 26, 2017, 07:04:08 PM

Author Topic: January 2016 transfer window  (Read 7097 times)

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
Re: January 2016 transfer window
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2016, 02:03:09 PM »
Steven Caulker on loan until the end of the season:

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/14198343.Southampton_defender_departs_for_Liverpool/?ref=rss

He's a typical PL centre half, which is arguably something we've been missing.

What's good is that we've not 'panic bought' and landed ourselves with more potential deadwood 18 months down the line.

This is a very canny move by our  manager!  Proven premier league player (won't need time to settle), loan till summer so we don't have to buy and keep with Klopps idea of buying in the summer.  And, Caulker will play his socks off trying to instigate a move to LFC possibly!  Win win in my eyes.
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2016, 02:06:56 PM »
Jon Jo Shelvey on his way to Newcastle for circa £12M. I bet we didn't insert a sell-on clause when we sold him to Swansea, like everyone seems to do to us when we buy one of their players, unlike Arsenal:

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/633853/Arsenal-Benik-Afobe-Bournemouth-transfer

We did...according to the Daily Fail! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3395328/Liverpool-manager-Jurgen-Klopp-targets-loan-Steven-Caulker-QPR.html

It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2016, 02:09:28 PM »
This is a very canny move by our  manager!  Proven premier league player (won't need time to settle), loan till summer so we don't have to buy and keep with Klopps idea of buying in the summer.  And, Caulker will play his socks off trying to instigate a move to LFC possibly!  Win win in my eyes.

Exactly. The injuries are short term, so I'd rather the players Klopp signs are part of the long term plan. With the Euros in the Summer, Caulker will be looking to get in the Welsh squad too.

No doubt the Twitter infestation of mongs claiming to be LFC fans will be in meltdown.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2016, 02:23:20 PM »
We did...according to the Daily Fail! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3395328/Liverpool-manager-Jurgen-Klopp-targets-loan-Steven-Caulker-QPR.html

30% Wowzers!! (Though I can't do the voice). We have an alien living in the body of Ian Ayre.

If this is true, then it's brilliant, and I'll take custard with my humble pie.  ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2016, 02:31:07 PM »
Yet another reason to regret not signing Dele Alli a year ago:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3395466/Dele-Alli-signs-new-five-year-deal-Spurs-impressive-start-career-White-Hart-Lane.html

Contrast this with Sterling.

It's good to see a young player not being driven by money. £25K is still a huge sum, but not a massive leap from £10K. Somehow I don't see him having Aidy Ward as his agent.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2016, 06:45:18 PM »
It was very important for us. In our situation, four weeks ago we didn’t know we’d have a problem with centre-halves because they were all in the race.

“At the start of the season, Joe Gomez was also in the squad, so a fifth centre-half - and then the situation changed completely. Now, we’ve had to make a decision whether we wanted to get another player for the position.

“The situation is Martin Skrtel is not available for around about the next four-and-a-half weeks, five weeks. Then we have the problem with Dejan – it’s only a little muscle injury. I think he’ll be available in one to one-and-a-half weeks.

“Then you have Mama with a little knee issue – he can play, but it’s not perfect and you cannot bring him three or four times in a row throughout the season. And it’s the same for Kolo and so would mean we are always in this situation, do we have enough or not? So we thought, ‘Yes, good idea’.

“We looked for Premier League experience because in this short time, you need that experience. We looked for a good header of the ball because that’s what we need – we want to play good pressing, we want to press the opponent and so they have to play long balls. If they play long balls, you need people in the last line who can help you with headers.

“And we’ve found it with Steven Caulker. He was not in the best situation in Southampton, didn’t play too much, but this is January and we want to have the best solution for us and we are absolutely convinced that Steven is the best solution for us.

“I am looking forward to working with him. He will be here today and then we can start working, so everything is good!”

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2016, 11:23:48 PM »
It was very important for us. In our situation, four weeks ago we didn’t know we’d have a problem with centre-halves because they were all in the race.

“At the start of the season, Joe Gomez was also in the squad, so a fifth centre-half - and then the situation changed completely. Now, we’ve had to make a decision whether we wanted to get another player for the position.

“The situation is Martin Skrtel is not available for around about the next four-and-a-half weeks, five weeks. Then we have the problem with Dejan – it’s only a little muscle injury. I think he’ll be available in one to one-and-a-half weeks.

“Then you have Mama with a little knee issue – he can play, but it’s not perfect and you cannot bring him three or four times in a row throughout the season. And it’s the same for Kolo and so would mean we are always in this situation, do we have enough or not? So we thought, ‘Yes, good idea’.

“We looked for Premier League experience because in this short time, you need that experience. We looked for a good header of the ball because that’s what we need – we want to play good pressing, we want to press the opponent and so they have to play long balls. If they play long balls, you need people in the last line who can help you with headers.

“And we’ve found it with Steven Caulker. He was not in the best situation in Southampton, didn’t play too much, but this is January and we want to have the best solution for us and we are absolutely convinced that Steven is the best solution for us.

“I am looking forward to working with him. He will be here today and then we can start working, so everything is good!”

Some of the media have been trying to pass this off as Klopp and the club trying to justify Caulker signing to the fans. The muppets who are having a meltdown on Twitter and the like are not fans.

It was a sensible short term solution to a short term problem.

It's good to see Klopp not spending the club's money just because it's not his.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2016, 04:35:10 PM »
being devil's advocate for a second.

last time we played against the lad, we won IIRC   6-1 and 6-2

just saying!    :P
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2016, 06:52:08 PM »
Not looking forward to tonight. I think Arsenal will win quite comfortably. For me they are the best team in england and have the best offensive unit by far in the country. As I used to live in London for over 20 years and went to school with a lot of gunners, I hate losing to that mob.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2016, 10:50:14 PM »
As I used to live in London for over 20 years and went to school with a lot of gunners, I hate losing to that mob.

You have my heartfelt sympathies.  ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2016, 01:00:26 PM »
For some bizarre reason we are being linked with Shane Long.

Hopefully this has to be made up nonsense. If not this has the stench the transfer committee about.

Can Hunter not get a passport or something? Is he secretly on Southampton's payroll?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2016, 01:22:17 PM »
Southampton have signed Charlie Austin from QPR for £4M.

Please let's not have another Andy Carroll / Christian Benteke moment.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2016, 03:16:44 PM »
Southampton have signed Charlie Austin from QPR for £4M.

looks like Southampton are preparing to let Shane Long leave.

8 million seems very little, for Ireland's main striker.

fast, physical (he was a hurler in Ireland in his young days), decent finisher.

I think this could be an interesting piece of business, if true.

:)

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2016, 07:31:16 PM »
looks like Southampton are preparing to let Shane Long leave.

8 million seems very little, for Ireland's main striker.

fast, physical (he was a hurler in Ireland in his young days), decent finisher.

I think this could be an interesting piece of business, if true.

I still haven't got over Robbie Keane.  ;D

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2016, 10:51:44 PM »
I still haven't got over Robbie Keane.  ;D

Garth Barry was the missing piece of the Robbie jigsaw.

It would have been interesting to see what Rafa had in mind.