December 16, 2018, 01:38:51 PM

Author Topic: Brendan Rodgers Sacked  (Read 11286 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Brendan Rodgers Sacked
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2015, 10:45:48 PM »
It makes you wonder though just how much extra this has all cost over and above what it would have done in the Summer.

yes, it makes you wonder how many tens of millions we have wasted this summer (plus the wages too of the new lads).

If FSG are not careful, they will get themselves a name, in Liverpool and beyond, as being idiots.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2015, 01:30:44 AM »
If FSG are not careful, they will get themselves a name, in Liverpool and beyond, as being idiots.

So they're going up in people's estimation.  ;D
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2015, 04:38:19 PM »
Sacked Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers 'on FA shortlist to be considered for next England boss'

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/sacked-liverpool-boss-brendan-rodgers-6590891

;D

He actually might be quite good as there's no transfers and he just works with a limited group of players. It might just suit him perfectly, and if it all goes t!ts up, it's only England afterall.  ;D

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2015, 06:02:40 PM »
Klopp to be confirmed 10am tomorrow morning and a press conference on Friday.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2015, 06:33:05 PM »
So they're going up in people's estimation.  ;D

:) :) 8)
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2015, 06:36:31 PM »
Sacked Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers 'on FA shortlist to be considered for next England boss'

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/sacked-liverpool-boss-brendan-rodgers-6590891

;D

He actually might be quite good as there's no transfers and he just works with a limited group of players. It might just suit him perfectly, and if it all goes t!ts up, it's only England afterall.  ;D

;D ;D ;D

I can see it now - Rodger's England 2-0 up, World Cup Final, against Brazil.

"ok, lads, let's push on......let's put on a show, we can beat them by 5 or 6."

Having said that, Rodgers wouldn't have taken off Bobby Charlton in 1970, when 2-0 up against the Germans......by deciding to sit back, England went on to lose 2-3.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2015, 11:46:10 PM »
;D ;D ;D

I can see it now - Rodger's England 2-0 up, World Cup Final, against Brazil.

"ok, lads, let's push on......let's put on a show, we can beat them by 5 or 6."

Having said that, Rodgers wouldn't have taken off Bobby Charlton in 1970, when 2-0 up against the Germans......by deciding to sit back, England went on to lose 2-3.

He'd have taken Banks off and played 'rush goalie'.  ;D

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2015, 02:24:03 AM »
He'd have taken Banks off and played 'rush goalie'.  ;D

;D ;D ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2015, 12:23:35 PM »
Yes, it will be interesting to see if Klopp also brings Zorc, the DoF  (reports say that he is contracted to Dortmund til the summer).

This is something that I've been wondering more and more about. Having worked under such a system, it doesn't appear as though he as bothered by the committee, or a more 'collective' approach to transfers than Rodgers was.
However, it's the individual personnel that make up the committee aside of the manager that has me wondering. Will he be comfortable with the Edwards, Hunter, Fallows collective? Ayre is there as CEO, and in any case would always have a major involvement in any potential transfer, especially from any financial aspect.

Will he instead, working on a similar line, try and get FSG to acquire Zorc and recreate what was in place at Dortmund with the addition of (hopefully a new one) the chief scout, and possibly Fallows or his replacement if it's seen that a 'head of recruitment/scouting' is still/really needed.

Dortmund's set up was mainly Zorc plus Peter Krawietz who was chief scout for a long time as well as being one of Klopp's two asistants, 'the Bosnian' Zeljko Buvac, being the other. 

If Klopp is comfortable working with Zorc and trusts his recommendations, it would make more sense to bring him in in place of Fallows, appoint a better chief scout than Hunter and have a committee of Zorc, Krawietz, new chief scout drawing up the names for Klopp to consider then any nominated player goes to Ayre/Gordon who would decide if the financial aspect stacks up.

There shouldn't be a committee that can bring in players having collectively 'outvoted' the manager. Neither should a player be disallowed on the grounds of age unless we're asked to pay crazy money for someone who is 33y.o+

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2015, 01:00:53 AM »
This is something that I've been wondering more and more about. Having worked under such a system, it doesn't appear as though he was bothered by the committee, or a more 'collective' approach to transfers than Rodgers was.

However, it's the individual personnel that make up the committee aside of the manager that has me wondering. Will he be comfortable with the Edwards, Hunter, Fallows collective?

Will he instead, working on a similar line, try and get FSG to acquire Zorc and recreate what was in place at Dortmund with the addition of (hopefully a new one) the chief scout, and possibly Fallows or his replacement if it's seen that a 'head of recruitment/scouting' is still/really needed.

Dortmund's set up was mainly Zorc plus Peter Krawietz who was chief scout for a long time as well as being one of Klopp's two asistants, 'the Bosnian' Zeljko Buvac, being the other. 

If Klopp is comfortable working with Zorc and trusts his recommendations, it would make more sense to bring him in in place of Fallows, appoint a better chief scout than Hunter and have a committee of Zorc, Krawietz, new chief scout drawing up the names for Klopp to consider then any nominated player goes to Ayre/Gordon who would decide if the financial aspect stacks up.

There shouldn't be a committee that can bring in players having collectively 'outvoted' the manager. Neither should a player be disallowed on the grounds of age unless we're asked to pay crazy money for someone who is 33y.o+

agreed, on all scores.

the committee is fine in principle - after all, the bootroom would have been what we pretty-much called it 30 odd years ago.

As you say, it is the actual personnel on that group, that is the problem.

Fallows, Hunter, Edwards, and Gordon need to be shown the door, or redeployed.  Maybe they can help the groundsman, or help the tea-ladies in the canteen, or summat.

Like you, I think Klopp will bring in many of his own people (beyond the two we already know today).

Whoever got the job, faces a massive job.  The Liverpool of 2015, is not the one that existed when Rafa was sacked in 2010.  We had an excellent structure in place then, with superb personnel (even if there were the usual office politics and infighting).   FSG have dismantled the structure of a top 4 club, and replaced it with something that would be good enough for Spurs or Newcastle. 

Klopp has a lot of work on his plate.   But I think he is young enough to relish it.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2015, 01:04:07 AM »

Borussia Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc  told talkSPORT: "If you look at what Jurgen Klopp did at Dortmund, he completely transformed that team from a very mediocre German side into one that beat Bayern Munich to the Bundesliga twice.

"This is a guy who is twenty years younger than Wenger who is absolutely ravenous for success with a new club."

"He loves attacking football, so Arsenal fans wouldn't be deprived of attacking football, but he would make our defence a granite-like defence."
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 01:05:21 AM by the dude abides »

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2015, 01:08:16 AM »
I enjoyed reading this article, by a German journalist, someone who knows Klopp well.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/klopp-liverpool-dont-worry-final-10224150#rlabs=20%20p$4

Everybody (of intelligence) in the football industry is raving about Klopp (including loads of highly respected people).

We may have got ourselves a gem.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2015, 03:44:59 PM »
Fallows, Hunter, Edwards, and Gordon need to be shown the door, or redeployed.  Maybe they can help the groundsman, or help the tea-ladies in the canteen, or summat.

But I don't like my tea looking like or tasting like coffee, and we'd probably end up with the second penalty area on the halfway line, and the centre circle in front of the Kop or Anfield Road ends. Or maybe the technical areas in front of the nets, and the penalty areas in front of the dugouts.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2015, 04:02:03 PM »
Whoever got the job, faces a massive job.  The Liverpool of 2015, is not the one that existed when Rafa was sacked in 2010.  We had an excellent structure in place then, with superb personnel (even if there were the usual office politics and infighting).   FSG have dismantled the structure of a top 4 club, and replaced it with something that would be good enough for Spurs or Newcastle. 

When you look at the quality of the academy staff then and now, it's heartbreaking. Rafa knew what a good academy looked like after being at Real. Klopp seems like the sort who isn't interested in legacies as a way of feeding his ego and therefore changing everything for the sake of. If it works, he'll leave well alone. He won't dilute his time mending something that isn't broken.

I doubt he can re-poach Borrell from City, but we could have more success getting Malcolm Elias back from Fulham.

Dortmund produced some good players through their academy and bought in other good youngsters and turned them into stars. Hopefully Klopp can replicate that here. This is one of the reasons I favour a (insert any name here) technical director / DoF / whatever, but as an assistant to the manager, who gets on and puts the manager's ideas and instructions into action, like the re-building of the academy, coaches and scouts and also assembling a scouting network, starting with a new chief scout, from the bottom up for the first team squad. These things are now hugely complicated and involved and it would be far better to have someone sorting this out, though carrying out the manager's wishes and instructions, not doing it or being responsible for it independently of the manager. It leaves the manager more free time to concentrate on the first team, but there will still be a lot of input and time required by the manager working through things with his 'assistant' anyway, but it takes the time of the putting 'into operation' away from the manager.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2015, 05:22:49 PM »
Disagree with you both. Our academy is far more healthier than what it was between 2010 to 2015.

In Alex Inglethorpe we have the most highly thought of academy director in england. That is not my belief but the belief of two people who are involved in academies one in england and the other in France - I don't know them directly but someone I do know does.

Borrell wasn't a big loss imo. Look at the players brought through to us during his time here. 99% were not good enough. Elias has hardly pulled up trees since leaving us.

When Rafa came here in 2004 he stated it would take 10 years to get the academy right and he was spot on.

The group of players that Borrell brought through:- Pacheco, Ayala, Dalla Valle, Eccleston, Suso, Insua, Palletta, Plessis, Amoo, Wilson, Barragan, El Zhar, Leto and Mique Roque.

Only Mique Roque, Palleta and Suso are plying their trade in the top division of a big league. None apart from Suso and Insua made an impression for us.

Whereas now the academy is arguably very strong. We now have quality players who I expect to make our squad on a regular basis. In the likes of Chirivella, Randall Rossiter, Canos, Wilson, Kent, Brannagan, Ibe, Sinclair, Ojo, Teixeira and others.

I think you need to do your homework on this really. It is one area that we have strengthened over the past 5 years.

The 2015 batch of academy players are 100000000% times more likely to be a LFC player than the group that came before them.

Now I don't expect all the names I mentioned to come through for us because it doesn't it hardly ever works like that. However I expect 3-4 players to be regulars in the squad.

One name I want you to remember is Ryan Kent who can play on either wing and would suit a Klopp formation and team down to a tee.