October 20, 2017, 02:14:22 AM

Author Topic: The Owners - an ex player's view on things.  (Read 2174 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: The Owners - an ex player's view on things.
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2016, 01:24:28 PM »
I see in the past few days, those multi-millionaire top pundits, Alan Hansen and Jaimie Carragher are saying we need to spend 200 million (Hansen) this summer...and spend 50 mllion on Reus (Carra).

Sod that.   Why don't these geniuses tell us about the market, European, S America and beyond, and tell us the names of young and upcoming talent  that would be a far cheaper and wiser bet.   Or even gems across Europe in their mid 20s, who could offer us something.

I fail to comprehend why these pundits get big money, for selling us old rope.

ANYONE could spout the nonsense they spout.

Maybe Hansen has £200M down the back of his sofa, but it may just have escaped his attention we have ground improvements to fund and we have spent more than that under Rodgers tenure, leaving us in the position of needing to spend £200M - theere's a bit of an obvious flaw in his idea.

Like you Dude, I'd be much happier seeing us go the route Klopp managed to do at Dortmund and make our own top players by buying cleverly, rather than spending huge sums on a few obvious names that might not be the perfect fit for this league.
Reus doesn't have the greatest injury record, and it's one thing we need to improve massively on.
We've bought plenty of players with poor injury records, only for them to prove why that is so, over the last 15-20 years, and getting that characteristic of our transfer dealings sorted out and improved would be a good place to start with what will hopefully be a long term allround improvement in how we do our transfer business.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2016, 10:45:01 PM »
Maybe Hansen has £200M down the back of his sofa, but it may just have escaped his attention we have ground improvements to fund and we have spent more than that under Rodgers tenure, leaving us in the position of needing to spend £200M - theere's a bit of an obvious flaw in his idea.

Like you Dude, I'd be much happier seeing us go the route Klopp managed to do at Dortmund and make our own top players by buying cleverly, rather than spending huge sums on a few obvious names that might not be the perfect fit for this league.
Reus doesn't have the greatest injury record, and it's one thing we need to improve massively on.
We've bought plenty of players with poor injury records, only for them to prove why that is so, over the last 15-20 years, and getting that characteristic of our transfer dealings sorted out and improved would be a good place to start with what will hopefully be a long term allround improvement in how we do our transfer business.

agreed, Tes.

we need to stop buying treatment room players.  Injury records on potential new players, is an area that has to be given some serious consideration.   And if we do buy someone who has had recurring injuries, and is thus a risk, then the transfer fee, and the wages we offer, have to reflect that fact.

And I think future contracts, in football, especially among top clubs, have to start being more incentive based.  A basic wage (maybe half), and the other part of the wage based on performance/success-based criteria.   And if big stars do not want to come to our club because of that, then sod them....we did not need their type anyway.

Like you, I want us to find hidden gems, that come at far cheaper prices. 

Hell, I'd love to scout Panama, and the south american market.  I would be very disappointed if I couldn't find better than Benteke and Moreno here.   

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2016, 11:11:21 PM »
Hell, I'd love to scout Panama, and the south american market.  I would be very disappointed if I couldn't find better than Benteke and Moreno here.

The biggest problem English clubs have though, in comparison to Italian, Spanish, Dutch (think Ajax) and Portuguese clubs, is that the work permit system in this country is almost draconian and getting them for young, uncapped players is extremely tough, and then there's the lack of the Latino connection which sometimes means it's very easy for South American players to get Spanish, Italian or Portuguese passports, which again allows them easier entry into those relative countries.

I don't understand the protectionism the work permit system tries to instill. If young British players could play alongside far more technical colleagues then surely it would help bring them on.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2016, 11:17:14 PM »
From: http://threeandin.com/liverpool-fsg-wrote-off-69m-invested-49m/

The accounts show owners Fenway Sports Group wrote off a £69m loan by converting it into equity, while also investing £49m in stadium expansion costs with the renovated, increased capacity Main Stand due to open for the start of next season.

There's no doubt that FSG have backed the managers where transfer spending is concerned, and getting the stadium expansion underway is also superb, but this is where it's so frustrating in that for the good things they're doing for the club we still have a third division CEO, neither of the main owners / board members are based in Liverpool, and we're still missing out on potential transfer income with the likes of Sinclair and Teixeira leaving us for nothing, meaning we miss out on both a transfer fee, and more importantly, a sell-on clause should they develop at their new clubs.
Not all players will develop into first team / squad players, sometimes not because they're not neccessarily good enough, but maybe because we're already well stocked in the position that player plays, which is why it's important we can see a potential return through a sell-on clause should they get a chance to develop through first team football elsewhere.

There's also the transfer committee issue. Have the owners learned from the past and given Klopp absolute control with certain members of the transfer committee just providing input should he require it or are they still playing a huge role in compiling names and selecting players we actually (try and) sign?

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2016, 03:14:39 PM »
The biggest problem English clubs have though, in comparison to Italian, Spanish, Dutch (think Ajax) and Portuguese clubs, is that the work permit system in this country is almost draconian and getting them for young, uncapped players is extremely tough, and then there's the lack of the Latino connection which sometimes means it's very easy for South American players to get Spanish, Italian or Portuguese passports, which again allows them easier entry into those relative countries.

I don't understand the protectionism the work permit system tries to instill. If young British players could play alongside far more technical colleagues then surely it would help bring them on.

good point.

The work permit system needs to be looked at.

As you say, it would only help our young lads, if they were working alongside such technically brilliant lads (as those from south america).

Maybe we could have some second or third division feeder club in Portugal or Spain, to buy and send young south american players to.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2016, 04:15:37 PM »
There's also the transfer committee issue. Have the owners learned from the past and given Klopp absolute control with certain members of the transfer committee just providing input should he require it or are they still playing a huge role in compiling names and selecting players we actually (try and) sign?

yes, the transfer committee has been rarely mentioned this past 6 months (apart from rodgers defending himself and bringing it up, a couple of months back).   But as a functional unit, it has not been referred to.  I wonder if it is still operational - or has it been quietly bypassed, and Klopp and his assistants are doing their own thing.

It needs to be dismantled.   And we badly need a new chief scout.
If I were the club, I would be asking who did Leicester's recruiting in the past year or two.  And the Newcastle scout, Carr, what has he been up to lately.

Arsenal have recruited the young Leicester scout, Ben Wrigglesworth.  But many claim that it was Steve Walsh (photo above) that found and brought their top players in.

If that is the case, then I would love heaven and earth, to bring him to Anfield....and make him a senior scout.....maybe chief scout.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2016, 06:20:08 PM »
Liverpool FC's owners ‘had no idea how bad the squad was when we bought the club’

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-fcs-owners-had-no-10978480

Fenway Sports Group said Fernando Torres and Pepe Reina were 'beyond their primes'

Not with the right manager and team mates they weren't.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2016, 06:27:13 PM »

Bloody Hell Walshie's aged. I remember him playing under O'Neill at Leicester.

League Cup Final 1996/97.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2016, 07:39:24 PM »
i was thinking the exact same thing.

when finding the photo above - i went and made sure this was the same steve walsh.

and he's only 51 - same age as me.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2016, 07:40:28 PM »
Liverpool FC's owners ‘had no idea how bad the squad was when we bought the club’

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-fcs-owners-had-no-10978480

Fenway Sports Group said Fernando Torres and Pepe Reina were 'beyond their primes'

Not with the right manager and team mates they weren't.

it was scandalous to treat Reina the way they did.