November 25, 2017, 09:12:49 AM

Author Topic: FA Cup 2015/16  (Read 2702 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: FA Cup 2015/16
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2016, 07:23:05 PM »
:)

look at Leicester - just over 20 million spent putting that rag bag together.

And they annihilate us and City - who have spent over ten times as much (on transfers, nevermind the wages). 

I was laughing today, when reading Lineker saying that Arsenal have nicked the wrong Leicester scout....he says Steve Walsh has been Leicester's main guy.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/feb/09/arsenal-wrong-scout-leicester-gary-lineker

If FSG were smart, they'd sack our chief scout, and sign Steve Walsh.  Even they paid him a massive wage, they'd save  fortune in transfer fees.

And regarding Spurs.  I have massive respect for their boss.  Spurs are playing very very impressive technical football.   If Man Utd are smart, they will go for the Spurs boss in the summer.

Hell, if we had been smart these past 3 or 4 years, we'd have not brought in three Southampton players, and instead signed the Saints manager.

It was Steve Walsh that scouted Vardy, and persuaded Nigel Pearson not to sell him to Sheffield Wednesday for a few £100k last season.

Steve Walsh certainly has any eye for a player. The current Leicester squad is down to him in no small way.

I bet he's a whizz at jigsaws too.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2016, 07:32:04 PM »
Over the two games against West Ham, the young players have shown themselves able to handle it. The two results in the Cup have been better than what the senior players achieved in the 2 league games and the overall performances were better too.

I'd like to see them given more game time and performances like the two West Ham games keeping them in contention on merit. So called seniority hasn't served us so well in the league anyway this season.

The Villa game would be a great start. There's no problem with complacency or likewise not turning up and putting in the effort, and the youngsters' desire to perform could help match the Villa players if they decide this weekend is the time they start really fighting and scrapping for survival. 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2016, 10:39:25 PM »
It may now be an irrelevance for us this season, but here's what I regard as a terrific piece about the FA Cup:

FA Cup replays are key to the magic, vital for smaller clubs, and must be kept on, says Danny Higginbotham

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/fa-league-cups/fa-cup-replays-are-key-to-the-magic-vital-for-smaller-clubs-and-must-be-kept-on-says-danny-a6884701.html

I'd even go as far as to say I hate the idea of penalties at the end of a replay. I used to love second and even third replays, as teams truly earned their place in the next round in what still is the oldest and best cup competition in the world.
It's great to see teams earn replays and players have a chance to play at the likes of Anfield and Old Toilet, and have a memory like that forever from their football career.

The more money that comes into the PL, the more it erodes football's soul and in some cases the football soul of certain types of fans of the bigger clubs..