December 13, 2017, 03:41:32 AM

Author Topic: FA Cup 2015/16  (Read 2869 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
FA Cup 2015/16
« on: December 07, 2015, 08:12:15 PM »
We've a trip to the ends of the earth in round 3, aka Exeter.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: FA Cup 2015/16
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 05:51:24 AM »
tis a long bike ride for the lads.

hoping we can win one of the cups this season.

and/or the Europa League. 

it would be great to get back to winning ways.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 07:05:56 PM »
Absolutely farcical!!!

The game has been moved to the Friday night at 7.55pm.

How are fans supposed to get there after work on a Friday?

How are they supposed to travel back after the game? Public transport is non-existent at that time, even if you weren't trying to get from Devon to west Lancashire.

Expecting fans to travel from the North-West to the deepest South-West for a Friday evening game is beyond madness. 

When is the FA, afterall it's their competition, going to work with TV companies, whilst actually having the fans in mind, and put a stop to this sort of fixture re-arrangement?

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 12:10:39 AM »
yes, pure farce.

I'd advise fans not to tavel.

Leave stadiums empty, and see how the TV companies hide that from their arm chair audience.

For their tv spectacle, they depend on a good atmosphere at a ground.  Deprive them of it. 

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 05:29:25 PM »
yes, pure farce.

I'd advise fans not to tavel.

Leave stadiums empty, and see how the TV companies hide that from their arm chair audience.

For their tv spectacle, they depend on a good atmosphere at a ground.  Deprive them of it.

Totally agree, Dude. They seem far more bothered that the time and day is convenient for armchair fans than it is for the travelling, match going fan.
Not only is the match going fan, the one that actually puts money into the club and the sport, but they're actually within earshot of the players to provide support.
It's about time the match going fan was given priority in all matters over the armchair fan.

If kickoff's not 'convenient' for the armchair fan then there's two easy options - find another interest that fits in with your lifestyle, or here's the best idea of the lot - RECORD IT, and then watch it at your convenience.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 06:11:36 PM »
If kickoff's not 'convenient' for the armchair fan then there's two easy options - find another interest that fits in with your lifestyle, or here's the best idea of the lot - RECORD IT, and then watch it at your convenience.

exactly, Tes.

But the tv companies will follow the money trail.  They have paid big bucks for their football contracts.

Thus, I'd advise fans not to travel......i.e.  ruin the tv spectacle, with empty stadiums and no atmosphere. 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 06:27:10 PM »
exactly, Tes.

But the tv companies will follow the money trail.  They have paid big bucks for their football contracts.

Thus, I'd advise fans not to travel......i.e.  ruin the tv spectacle, with empty stadiums and no atmosphere.

Isn't it dire when we have to think like this.

By putting the travelling fan first, they'd contribute towards a better atmosphere, which would be enjoyed by the armchair fan.

In order to appease and please the armchair fan, surely that means doing everything for the travelling fan so the atmosphere, and hence 'the product' would be the best it could be.

It seems to me they've got their thinking back to front. 

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 06:30:19 PM »
In order to appease and please the armchair fan, surely that means doing everything for the travelling fan so the atmosphere, and hence 'the product' would be the best it could be.

It seems to me they've got their thinking back to front.

exactly.

heck, with the mega-money from tv, football clubs should be letting fans in free - hell, maybe even offering free transportation too.

as you say, the tv spectacle should be maximised....not minimised.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 06:47:01 PM »
exactly.

heck, with the mega-money from tv, football clubs should be letting fans in free - hell, maybe even offering free transportation too.

as you say, the tv spectacle should be maximised....not minimised.

Also as it's a Friday evening, most armchair fans will be out on the razz and will probably record it anyway, making the idea of showing it 'live', pointless.

There's just nothing to back up that it's either a good idea or makes any kind of sense, showing a live FA Cup match on a Friday evening.

The FA Cup should take pride of place on a Saturday and Sunday. If not then make it a midweek game on the other 'football day', Wednesday, though not having fans travelling the length and breadth of the country on a Wednesday evening if possible.

The Manc / Sheffield Utd game would have been better for a Friday evening and ours on the Saturday. Where's the 'story' in the Mancs vs the Blades?
I can understand showing our match, as it's a huge potential giant killing, and in Klopp's first FA Cup tie, just not on a Friday evening.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 11:36:11 PM »
Do we go with a strong team and try and get back into winning home form ahead of the Stoke game, or do we rest players again?

I'd certainly like to see Danny Ward get the nod for both the Exeter and Stoke games. I have no faith in Mignolet and Bogdan and their abilities to deal with anything put into the box, and I think Tisdale will have Exeter doing just that.

Do we play Firmino, Lallana and Ibe and try to get them firing as a trio, or give Benteke a chance to play himself into some form.

If we choose to go with Brad Smith, as I think we will to give Moreno a rest, then I'd play Benteke, and get Smith to keep popping those crosses, that he's capable of, into the box, and tell Benteke to make sure he's in there to get on the end of them.

Midfield, as usual, is the tough one. Our midfield is so vanilla it's hard to know who to play and who to rest and if any of it makes the slightest difference anyway. 

I just hope we don't see Enrique playing centre half again. Maybe we should risk Sakho and help him play himself further into form.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 03:23:09 PM »
If Flanno is available I'd like to see him play some part in today's game.  I don't have a lot of faith in Moreno (can't defend).  Having said that, I don't have faith in the majority of our squad  ;D
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 10:49:09 PM »
I didn't see the game.

But by all accounts, the youngsters played very well tonight.

On a decent pitch, more technical players can play at a higher level.

Great for the confidence of the young lads.

And we advance to the 4th round, and a home tie v West Ham. 

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 11:01:55 PM »
I didn't see the game.

But by all accounts, the youngsters played very well tonight.

On a decent pitch, more technical players can play at a higher level.

Great for the confidence of the young lads.

And we advance to the 4th round, and a home tie v West Ham.

Correct Dude.  The kids did well and performed admirably.  Could still improve in the decision making process but that will come with time as they progress (hopefully).  One stand out performer who ran his socks off was Joe Allen.  Yes I'm aware of the opposition but nonetheless he had a good game and pressed well.  The only disappointment imho was Benteke.  He simply did not show the correct aptitude, hunger or desire for me.  When he should of run into the box he didn't, he just laboured around looking sluggish and not interested.  He really only came to life right at the end where he assisted in the third goal and then when clean on through, fluffed his opportunity by taking the ball too far past the keeper.

Best bit of the night for me was seeing Jon Flanno playing again.  I think if he keeps himself fit, Kloppo will play the lad.  Personally I think we need an injection of some local scouse lads back in the team.  Too many players on our books who don't know what it means to wear the shirt!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 11:03:56 PM by Gurdeep »
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 12:00:46 AM »
If nothing else, Joe Allen showed what a good pro he is and what an example to those young players he had around him, in direct contrast to Beneteke.

Brad Smith did well for the opening goal actually reaching Beneteke's terrible return ball, and was great to see a young player playing with his head up and picking out a pass rather than just playing across the face of the goal.

Hopefully if he can keep developing and Flanno (great to see him back) can suffer no long term problems, then maybe the full back positions don't look quite so weak as they did at the start of the season.

Hopefully the club can get the younger players who are out of contract in the Summer to all sign up and give themselves a couple of years under Klopp. They need to look at the bigger picture, look at Klopp's record of developing players, his willingness to give them this game even though we weren't in quite a state injury wise as the first game and the fact he's held back so far in the window, not panic bought and is willing to give young players a real try.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 01:09:08 PM »
Could still improve in the decision making process but that will come with time as they progress (hopefully).  One stand out performer who ran his socks off was Joe Allen. 

Best bit of the night for me was seeing Jon Flanno playing again.  I think if he keeps himself fit, Kloppo will play the lad.  Personally I think we need an injection of some local scouse lads back in the team.  Too many players on our books who don't know what it means to wear the shirt!

yes Gurdeep, like you and Tes say, it's great to see Flanno back again.

Agreed - there are 2 or 3 players who IMHO are not putting in the required work.

e.g. I look at a big lad like Beneke.   Coming off the bench (especially), he should be running himself ragged in those 20 minutes he comes on in most of our games.     Any time I came on as a sub, I loved playing against tired defenders. 

I know Klopp today says Benteke has a future at Anfield.  But I cannot see it myself.  Unless he makes the tea.  The most expensive tea lady in history.

Klopp is a miracle worker, if he can make Joe Allen score goals in successive games.  Are there no ends to the magic our boss can do.   :D