September 26, 2017, 07:02:53 PM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window 2016  (Read 9352 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window 2016
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2016, 08:02:13 PM »
I think it's more befitting of who we are as a club, that we get back to making our own 'stars', rather than signing other people's. By altering the mindset of the club and the transfer policy, I think we'll also massively lessen the risk of what we've done too much of recently, and that's by 'flavours of the month', players who are having a good season (with no previous record of such) or who have had one good season.

Since our last title our best and most influential players have been those that weren't huge names - they were either unknowns like Hyypia, or those who were just starting to possibly suggest great things like Alonso or Suarez.

When you look at the likes of City, despite their collection of names throughout the squad, not just the first eleven, they have under performed for what you would think would be the 'collective level' when you looked at all those individuals.

agreed.

if you were a City shareholder, you;d be very disappointed at the return on your transfer investments.

Suppose same with us and Everton.  Everton exist on peanuts - and yet we are only marginally better than them, results-wise in recent years.

If I ran the club, I would have the best scouting system that I could muster.  If we are to build, we need the proper people in the background - finding and bringing people through.

As you mention, we need new lads of the ilk, of Sami Hyppia.   To find gems, we need good scouts.  Any body can spend big money, on (as you say) flavours of the month.  But the gems are out there, to be brought in for much less money.  But we do not have the scouting system to find them.  imho    I hope Klopp, and his German colleagues, can help change that.

When we do spend big money, it should be the exception.  And that player should offer genuine quality, i.e. walk straight into the team - and be a true red-type player - good character, top of his game, good team player, right attitude, etc.

The big money that we have spent in recent years, has been thrown away. 

I think FSG would be wise to take note of the fan unrest - I suspect that the unrest is not merely linked to ticket prices.   Fans want the club run properly. 
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2016, 10:01:04 PM »
I think FSG would be wise to take note of the fan unrest - I suspect that the unrest is not merely linked to ticket prices.   Fans want the club run properly.

That's exactly what I thought when it was reported a quarter of the crowd left in the 77th minute. It can't just be about ticket prices, though it's a huge issue. This was an opportunity to make a point, and people took it brilliantly.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2016, 10:06:41 PM »

if you were a City shareholder, you;d be very disappointed at the return on your transfer investments.

City's collection of great players lost 2-1 at home to the team that Pochettino is putting together at Spurs.

City should have won the league for the last 3 seasons in a row. It will be interesting to see if Guardiola can cut on a wet and windy November night in Stoke.  ;D

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2016, 03:43:03 PM »
Schalke announce that we have signed a pre-contract agreement with their defender/midfielder:

24-year-old Schalke centre half Joel Matip

Great news.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2016, 04:19:38 PM »
Matip has revealed that he decided to join Liverpool as he wanted to experience something 'completely new'.

In a message to Schalke supporters, Matip has explained his reasons for rejecting a new contract with the club.

"I have always said that there is only one reason I would leave Schalke - to experience something completely new.  For that reason, I never considered a move to another Bundesliga club."

"Even though the decision wasn’t easy, I am certain that this is the right moment for me to take the next step in my career."

Seems like a good lad.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2016, 04:24:24 PM »
Meanwhile, at the other end of the decent human being spectrum.

AC Milan coach Sinisa Mihajlovic has hinted that Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli may have played his last match on loan for the Rossoneri – after a plodding two minute substitute appearance for Milan yesterday.

Milan were leading Genoa 2-0 when Balotelli was introduced for Carlos Bacca, and in that time Genoa pulled a goal back.

But even though Milan won the match 2-1 coach Mihajlovic saw enough to rap: “We should’ve scored a third goal and not risked at the end. It is also my fault, as those who don’t sacrifice themselves for the team to the 94th minute will no longer set foot on the field."

“It wasn’t just Balotelli, there were another two or three as well as him, they know who I’m talking about.”

Balotelli has made just 11 appearances for Milan this term and scored just twice.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2016, 07:45:10 PM »
That's exactly what I thought when it was reported a quarter of the crowd left in the 77th minute. It can't just be about ticket prices, though it's a huge issue. This was an opportunity to make a point, and people took it brilliantly.

agreed.

I think the natives are getting restless.   And it goes way beyond ticket prices.

FSG would be wise to up their game, and stop acting like know-it-all emperors from the laughably finest country in the world.

I would sack those who brought Ballotelli to the club.  I would sack those who had any part in the scouting and recruitment of Benteke.  The transfer committee has to be dismantled.   Maybe they can brush floors, mow grass, or clean boots. But they sure as heck can play no part in recruiting players.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2016, 11:37:33 PM »
agreed.

I think the natives are getting restless.   And it goes way beyond ticket prices.

FSG would be wise to up their game, and stop acting like know-it-all emperors from the laughably finest country in the world.

I would sack those who brought Ballotelli to the club.  I would sack those who had any part in the scouting and recruitment of Benteke.  The transfer committee has to be dismantled.   Maybe they can brush floors, mow grass, or clean boots. But they sure as heck can play no part in recruiting players.

Hopefully Klopp doesn't just get the final say, but the total say in both how we recruit and also the individuals responsible and who is involved in any part of the process.

He worked closely with a sporting director at Dortmund and I have no problem if he chooses to place a similar sort of person in charge as long as he is following Klopp's instructions and requirements. Unlike in the past, because of the global nature of scouting, Klopp isn't going to be able to watch as many potential signings as managers possibly did in the past and there's a lot more to co-ordinate so he'll need assistance with that, but having a stats/numbers guy and someone from the US as part of the actual final football based decision making is ridiculous.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2016, 11:56:57 PM »
Schalke announce that we have signed a pre-contract agreement with their defender/midfielder:

24-year-old Schalke centre half Joel Matip

Great news.

Klopp seems to have had his radar firmly set on Matip since he got here, and I'd imagine, well before that too. He didn't do a bad job when bringing in Subotic and Hummels, especially as he'd brought Subotic with him from Mainz.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2016, 06:00:11 PM »
Klopp seems to have had his radar firmly set on Matip since he got here, and I'd imagine, well before that too. He didn't do a bad job when bringing in Subotic and Hummels, especially as he'd brought Subotic with him from Mainz.

agreed.

he looks like a really good acquisition.   He may take a year or two to get up to the physical challenge of the premiership....but everything else, he looks very good.

and tho a central defender, he scores goals!!!    Very good header of the ball.  Very good positional sense.

I was reading that that ratings-wise, he was rated 16th best Bundesliga player.  That is impressive.

Klopp says only 4 clubs in Germany could have afforded to buy him.

The fact the lad would not join another German club (18 years at Schawke) - and was a free at the end of his contract - and obviously knew Klopp....is an angle for Liverpool to exploit.  Klopp will know that market well, and can maybe exploit it....and for cheap money/free.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2016, 09:42:06 PM »
agreed.

he looks like a really good acquisition.   He may take a year or two to get up to the physical challenge of the premiership....but everything else, he looks very good.

and tho a central defender, he scores goals!!!    Very good header of the ball.  Very good positional sense.

I was reading that that ratings-wise, he was rated 16th best Bundesliga player.  That is impressive.

Klopp says only 4 clubs in Germany could have afforded to buy him.

The fact the lad would not join another German club (18 years at Schawke) - and was a free at the end of his contract - and obviously knew Klopp....is an angle for Liverpool to exploit.  Klopp will know that market well, and can maybe exploit it....and for cheap money/free.

He also seems like the loyal, level headed sort too, so hopefully he'll fit in well and fall in love with the club as so many ex players have done. 

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2016, 10:45:19 PM »
He also seems like the loyal, level headed sort too, so hopefully he'll fit in well and fall in love with the club as so many ex players have done.

good point.

the type of lad that understands loyalty, and will appreciate the Kop being loved by the fans.

a love affair in the offing - between him and the Kop.

Klopp will have no doubt already sold him on the club and the fans.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2016, 07:08:17 PM »
From: http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/649122/Our-man-Paul-Joyce-reveals-Jurgen-Klopp-wants-sign-sell-Liverpool-overhaul-News-Gossip

Liverpool need a new spine. When Carlo Ancelotti was sounded out to succeed Brendan Rodgers back in October, he made that very point to owners, Fenway Sports Group.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2016, 04:05:49 PM »
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/656381/Exclusive-Paul-Joyce-on-World-Cup-winner-Mario-Gotze-s-20m-move-to-Liverpool

Gotze for sub £20M? Interesting. Gotze, imho, moved at too young an age to Bayern, and if there's someone who could put his career back on track and help him realise his early potential, then Klopp has to be one of the favourites. It would have to mean someone like Lallana moving on, but then depending on the sums involved both ways, we could be acquiring Gotze for just a few £M. As I said, interesting.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2016, 06:27:30 PM »
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/656381/Exclusive-Paul-Joyce-on-World-Cup-winner-Mario-Gotze-s-20m-move-to-Liverpool

Gotze for sub £20M? Interesting. Gotze, imho, moved at too young an age to Bayern, and if there's someone who could put his career back on track and help him realise his early potential, then Klopp has to be one of the favourites. It would have to mean someone like Lallana moving on, but then depending on the sums involved both ways, we could be acquiring Gotze for just a few £M. As I said, interesting.

yes, I was blown away by the 15 to 20 million for Mario Gotze too.

the guy is technically world class - is well used to Klopp's pressing system - can score goals - whether operating as an attacking midfielder, striker, or he can even play on the wing.

lallanha has been playing well this past month - I think he is being advised by Klopp to react quicker - quicker flicks, quicker passes, being aware quicker of colleagues positions, etc.  He has definitely improved with his performances - but still no goals of note.  I am unsure if he will let him go, or not.  Lalanha would be a good squad player - someone to bring on, or fill in for injuries. 

I imagine we will be letting the other midfielder Joe Allen move on this summer.

No matter what way you look at it - bringing Gotze in, will be a major upgrade to our existing midfield/attack.