September 26, 2017, 07:17:56 PM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window 2016  (Read 9354 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window 2016
« Reply #195 on: September 02, 2016, 06:57:34 PM »
Good to see you back, Ed.

I was gonna reply to Tes's detailed post.  But have not got much time, in a hurry right now.

Just wanted to say - I think Klopp is showing all the signs of being Ferguson-like.....i.e. a stickler for discipline, and enforcing his own way.......we see that with the early and determined way of his transfers - incoming and outgoing this summer.

I know Tes and me disagreed last season - Tes thought Klopp would make only a couple of new signings - whereas I thought (knowing what he did at Dortmund) that he would make wholesale changes in the summer. 

Klopp IIRC took 3 years to turn Dortmund into title contenders.  This season may come to soon for us - more like next season, or the one after. 

But being a dreamer - and watching our games - I hope we can compete this season for the title.  With no European games - we have a real advantage.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 02, 2016, 07:00:55 PM »
Balotelli and Benteke were the big ones to shift, and that incredibly has been achieved.

Hopefully we've seen the last of the Andy Carroll, Stewart Downing, Beneteke and Balotelli type transfers.

I'll reserve judgement on Wijnaldum until the end of the season, when hopefully Klopp will have had the starting 11, formations etc sorted and whoever plays what position within the midfield area will have adapted to their roles and players like Wijnaldum will be played in roles that cater to their strengths and is therefore given the best 'opportunity' to perform to the maximum.

Dirk Kuyt is a big fan of Wijnaldum.  He says he has "the lungs of a horse" which gives a good indication of how Klopp wants his midfield to work.

It may take the lad a couple of seasons to settle at this level.  But I have high hopes for him.

Like you say, Tes - awesome to see Balotelli and Benteke moved on.

I also would like to see our chief scout - the youngster Barry Hunter moved on. 

It feels like we are relying on Klopp and his German contacts, for all the great lads we are picking up in Germany and nearby.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 05, 2016, 06:09:20 PM »
I also would like to see our chief scout - the youngster Barry Hunter moved on. 

It feels like we are relying on Klopp and his German contacts, for all the great lads we are picking up in Germany and nearby.

Are we missing a trick here:

Leicester in talks with Eduardo Macia about replacing former head of recruitment Steve Walsh

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/09/05/leicester-in-talks-with-eduardo-macia-about-replacing-former-hea/

I wonder whether Klopp is giving the recruitment processes at the club a chance to prove things one way or the other.

There's an interview with him re the academy setup and staff where he says he'd rather wait and see how things are working and then make decisions, rather than come in and just change things anyway. I wonder whether he's doing that with the recruitment side too.

With a six year contract it gives him the opportunity to take whatever length of time, whether short or long, to formulate things and alter or keep as, as he sees best, but without the need to make over hasty decisions.

Like you say, Dude, there is a certain similarity with Taggart, and giving Taggart the time he needed certainly proved fruitful.

We've tried the 'throwing money at it' route, and whilst it may have been the wrong people spending it rather than the wrong method, let's see if we can do it a more organic way, with Klopp's ideas of there being no shortcut, or ultimately better way than working with your players, and developing a team by developing your players, out of which a team develops.   
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 30, 2017, 07:59:16 PM »
Sorry dude this season I think we are going to swap roles in you being the optimist and me the pessimist!!

Apart from Karius and Mane who I believe will be fantastic for us I believe just spend a load of money on either average players or weak/fragile mentality players.

Wijnaldum is average - sorry but he is. He has shown last season he has a weak mentality and if things aren't going right he won't fight for the team. Weak. That plus 11 goals (4 in one game) so really 7 goals all at home.....away from home he's a liability.

Matip - good player but really not a great player however an improvement on Skrtel and Toure so good signing.

Mane - My favourite signing because of his pace and strength but he is inconsistent so he needs to fix that.

Manninger - fulfils the role required so no problem.

Grujic - one for the future

Klavan - Another average signing but at least he is cheap.

We have failed to address our weaknesses mainly at left back and central midfield.

With this current squad I can't see no way no how we finish in the top 6. Man U, Man C, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs have superior teams. West Ham have the better player out of both teams in Payet (Coutinho will have to match Payet's consistency to take that accolade), Stoke have a decent team and the likes of Everton and Leicester will be our competitors.

We have never failed to finish outside the top 8 since we gained promotion in 1962. However I am really concerned that this is going to happen for us this upcoming season.

I was bang on the money for Mane. I still belief Karius can come good he needs a good 18-24 months though.

I was bang on about Wijnaldum.

I wan bang on about Matip, Manninger and Grujic.

I was wrong on Klavan as he worse than average. I was also wrong in thinking left back would be a weakness as Milner has been great, but we need a proper one in the summer, but I was bang on regarding the midfield.

We will probably finish 5th behind those clubs I mentioned - thankfully for us the rest of the league is crap. Which says more about us than it does anything else.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 30, 2017, 09:29:27 PM »
thankfully for us the rest of the league is crap.

So as long as they're worse than Swansea, Burnley, Bournemouth and Sunderland then fifth it is then.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.