November 18, 2018, 07:53:32 AM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window 2016  (Read 19810 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window 2016
« Reply #165 on: August 28, 2016, 08:43:46 AM »
A few sites are reporting we want Leicester's left back, 30yr old Christian Fuchs.

It's doubtful whether Leicester will want to sell so late in the window for anything but an overpriced amount.

Why has it taken 1 match of this season to realise we have a problem at left back?

It was plainly obvious by the end of last season that this was a, if not the, priority position to sort out this Summer.

For me, signing Martins Indi, and especially at this time in the window where Porto aren't looking at a premium price, is the obvious transfer.
Left back gets sorted, we'd have a 4th senior centre half if Sakho is sidelined however that happens, Milner gets freed up and at worse we'd get our money back next Summer having had an entire season to draw up a comprehensive list of targets.

Juanma, or Juan Manuel Garcia to his Mum, has signed from Barca, at 19 he's gone straight into the U-23s, and has already impressed hugely with his early appearances.
Maybe he's an option for next season, but it's this season that's the problem, already.

With Klopp being more used to the Sporting Director/DOF type setup, maybe it's about time we had a full time recruiter, who along with Klopp, but also empowered independently, identified, scouted and drew up a list of players and options required.
Michael Zorc played a massive part in the whole identification and selection process of requirements, options and targets, whilst Klopp was at Dortmund, and I'm not sure Klopp is as used to the totally immersed way 'managers' work in this country where the whole process from start to finish is concerned.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 29, 2016, 05:07:55 PM »
Liverpool closing in on international star: He'll have a medical within 48 hours

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/541315/Liverpool-pole-position-to-land-Ante-Coric-15m-Man-City-transfers-rumours-gossip-medical

Attacking/central midfielder. If it puts Coutinho under pressure and gets him performing consistently, then OK.

It just seems like Klopp is stubbornly focused on getting Hendo and Milner to each learn a new position as the season develops.
It's a massive gamble with our entire season.

Apparently not:

Liverpool transfer target cancels medical: £15m deal off

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/704997/Liverpool-Transfer-News-Dinamo-Zagreb-Ante-Coric-medical

So for the sake of our sanity and goals against column, get a left back and a defensive midfielder, then maybe Milner and Hendo can be freed up to contribute more as well. They've certainly got more chance if played in their proper positions.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 05:11:16 PM by Tes »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 29, 2016, 06:47:54 PM »
Luis Alberto: Liverpool agree to sell Spanish forward to Lazio for £4.3m

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37216075

A decent seal considering everything, a 30% sell on clause could prove useful if he's able to establish himself and improve in Serie A.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 29, 2016, 11:24:51 PM »
Mario Balotelli's Liverpool nightmare could be over following talks with Ligue 1 side

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/705061/Liverpool-Nice-Mario-Balotelli-Ligue-1-Mino-Raiola-Danny-Ings-Luis-Alberto

Nice one, Nice. (The taxi's waiting for me outside and my coat's in my other hand).  ;D

Imagine, Balotelli and Benteke, gone, in one Summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 29, 2016, 11:33:48 PM »
Thankfully we've turned down a loan request from Sunderland for Danny Ings:

Liverpool snub Premier League approach for forward: Player unavailable for loan or sale

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/705093/Liverpool-Danny-Ings-Sunderland-Jurgen-Klopp-Sale-Loan-Rodriguez-Transfer-News-Gossip-News
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 11:35:20 PM by Tes »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 29, 2016, 11:55:34 PM »
Re Klopp's comments about a left back:

"Full-back is not only a winger in the offensive situations, it's something like eight (roles) in different moments so that's a really good position for Milly."

If he expects a left back to have all those strings to his bow, it makes it even harder to understand why he seems to think £7M-£10M is the ceiling price for a full back.

A player who can both defend and attack efficiently is going to be priced accordingly.

Ricardo Rodríguez of Wolfsburg is probably the most adept at what Klopp requires from a left back.  IMHO he would be worth the investment, especially as we need width on the left, as Coutinho cuts inside when he plays there, as would Wijnaldum, and Milner can't cross as efficiently with his left.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 30, 2016, 09:16:02 PM »
International defender set for Stoke medical: Liverpool and Everton keen

BRUNO MARTINS INDI will have a medical at Stoke tomorrow morning ahead of joining the club on loan, according to reports.

But according to Sky Sports, Martins Indi will head to Staffordshire for a medical tomorrow morning ahead of a loan move with a view to a permanent switch.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/705465/Bruno-Martens-Indi-Stoke-medical-Liverpool-Everton-keen

So Sakho having been told to go out on loan, then refuses Stoke,  leaving them still needing a defender.

This is going well isn't it. Sakho stays at the club, and is ostracized by Klopp, leaving us a centre half short, in addition to our left back deficiency, and the solution signs for the club Sakho refused to go to on his enforced loan. 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 30, 2016, 11:40:52 PM »
It could get arguably even worse on the Sakho situation, with us losing out on a game of musical centre halves:

http://www.clickliverpool.com/sport/everton-fc/everton-fc-transfers/7630-mamadou-sakho-could-hold-the-key-to-everton-fc-transfer/

So potentially Sunderland get Sakho on loan, meaning Stoke don't and they sign Martins Indi. With Sunderland getting a centre half replacement, they allow Lamine Kone to be sold to Everton.
So everyone gets their centre half targets, except us leaving us light there too.

At this rate we'll be playing the old 2-3-5 system, due to the numbers (and lack of) across the different positions. 

"Those were the days."
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 11:47:38 PM by Tes »

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 31, 2016, 12:07:21 AM »
Sakho's departure from PSG.

some amazing similarities to now

it's deja vu, all over again

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/club/paris-saint-germain/160/blog/post/1852629/sakho-exit-from-psg-a-complicated-one
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 31, 2016, 10:03:51 AM »
Sakho's departure from PSG.

some amazing similarities to now

it's deja vu, all over again

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/club/paris-saint-germain/160/blog/post/1852629/sakho-exit-from-psg-a-complicated-one

It seems like he's got 'too comfortable' at the club, so you can understand Klopp wanting to try and 'reset' his whole mindset.
It could though leave us with a problem of having a 'spare part' around the club and being a centre half short.

Due to his age, lack of experience and the lengthy injury time he's suffered, I don't think it's too wise to 'rely' on Gomez, for either centre half or left back, this season.

If Klopp doesn't want to spend 'big' on a left back, then Martins Indi on loan, with an option to buy, would cover all bases, including keeping him after the end of the season, if there's a problem with Gomez.

Sakho has reportedly now turned down a loan move to Besiktas. This has the potential to get very messy.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 10:06:04 AM by Tes »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 31, 2016, 12:16:17 PM »
Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli having medical with Nice ahead of deadline day transfer

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3766855/Liverpool-striker-Mario-Balotelli-having-medical-Nice-ahead-deadline-day-transfer.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

The Balotelli 'saga' is almost worth an entire threadto itself.  ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 31, 2016, 02:07:53 PM »
Liverpool transfer news and rumours: Lazar Markovic to stay at Anfield?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfer-news-rumours-lazar-8740606

With Mane missing for a month in January/February at the African Cup of Nations, it wouldn't be such a bad thing having Markovic around to cover. Likewise for any injury problem Mane may have.

If Sakho is 'excluded', then whilst he may not be ideal, then Ilori would at least give us a 4th option. If he's given a chance with the U-23s then he may well improve with regular football. He also has the qualities to be a defensive midfielder. Maybe his slighter build goes against him, but he has all the other basic attributes, again if given the chance with the U-23s.

I just think we need to utilise all our playing resources, especially as we've thinned the squad down and we're running on fumes in certain defensive positions and aspects of the squad.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 31, 2016, 02:10:57 PM »
Jerome Sinclair left us last July for Watford.  He has never played a single game for them.

Now they are lending him out to second tier club Norwich City.

Well played Aidy Ward.  Football idiot. 

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/08/31/report-norwich-city-one-of-three-championship-clubs-in-talks-ove/
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 31, 2016, 02:13:37 PM »
If Klopp doesn't want to spend 'big' on a left back, then Martins Indi on loan, with an option to buy, would cover all bases, including keeping him after the end of the season, if there's a problem with Gomez.

Sakho has reportedly now turned down a loan move to Besiktas. This has the potential to get very messy.

yes, Martins Indi is a good idea.

I think Klopp has washed his hands with Sakho. 

But merely wanted to lend him out for now, til a transfer away in January or the summer.

Our boss wants a tight team unit - and people like Sakho don't measure up.

I also suspect Sturridge is in his last season at Anfield.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 31, 2016, 04:08:08 PM »
Jerome Sinclair left us last July for Watford.  He has never played a single game for them.

Now they are lending him out to second tier club Norwich City.

Well played Aidy Ward.  Football idiot. 

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/08/31/report-norwich-city-one-of-three-championship-clubs-in-talks-ove/

When they wanted him in January Quique Flores was manager. I wonder whether they signed him in between Flores leaving and Walter Mazzarri arriving.

Ward will have got his fee, and I guess that's all that matters.

It would be better if the PFA dealt with players under 21, so they can't get uprooted and have their development stunted or ruined by agents looking to move them about for their fees.