September 26, 2017, 07:18:44 PM

Author Topic: The Ticketing Issue  (Read 1046 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
The Ticketing Issue
« on: February 07, 2016, 11:12:07 PM »
I decided to give it it's own thread as it's both deserving in it's own right and also so we don't clog the season's thread up, as this is something that's going to be an issue going forward I think.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: The Ticketing Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 11:47:36 PM »
According to the media the board are going to 'hold talks' about it.

Whilst we've no idea to what degree and from what point of view the discussions will happen, I applaud FSG for not just sitting there on the other side of the Atlantic and thinking "stuff them, we had our entrance money, they're the only ones to miss out".

It's blown up rapidly into something bigger than just 'a domestic' between our fans and our owners. The media have latched onto it and plenty of ex pros are getting in on it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-fan-protest-it-is-time-for-customers-to-fight-back-and-be-treated-as-fans-again-a6858106.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-fan-protest-board-hold-talks-over-ticket-prices-ahead-of-more-planned-walk-outs-a6860151.html

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-owners-to-discuss-ticket-7329176

Also, it was interesting that Pepijn Lijnders didn't just answer the question in terms of the result, he actually addressed the issue head on and appeared to support the reasoning behind the demonstration.

As there were an estimated 10,000 fans involved, pretty much a quarter of our support involved, it couldn't be put down to a few disgruntled or militant fans from Spirit of Shankly and Spion Kop 1906.

Henry apparently said this 2012: "Can Liverpool as a community afford Chelsea or Arsenal prices? No,” he said.

“It is often said that for Liverpool to compete in match-day revenue with United, Arsenal and Chelsea, we need a new stadium.

“But you can see that the £50 or £60 million differences stem as much from revenue per seat as from the number of seats.

“Even if Liverpool were able to get to 60,000 seats, there would have to be an increase from £900 to £1550 in revenue per seat as well to catch Arsenal.
"

That's the whole point. We will never compete £ for £ with the Chelseas, Arsenals and possibly even Spurs on match day revenue. Likewise the Mancs. Manchester is becoming the 'capital of the North', even the country's second city.

If FSG see fans as a way of raising revenue, and they need to raise revenue and we as fans want them to have the cash for us to compete, then the revenue raised from the fan base has to be spread across the entire fan base, across the entire world, and not focused or fall disproportionately on the match going fans.

Match going fans have to be cherished. They are the voice of the entire support the world over.

Fans have always paid to support, not been paid for their support.

But being a fan is not being a customer. It's probably the only thing we hand over money for without the expectation of buying and receiving something in return as such, or at least with the same kind of expectation as with any other sort of cash outlay.

It will be interesting to see where this goes, both within our club, and if the backlash starts to spread to other clubs.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 12:10:57 AM »
Just to put a bit of context to the ticket prices - average UK full time salary is £27,600 (according to Government figures for the last complete tax year to April 2015), or £530.76 gross per week. The nett income is approximately £21,787 or £418.98 per week.

So when you factor in how incredibly high the top earners salaries are - the bosses of the FTSE 100 companies would have to work just 22 hours in a year to earn the average UK salary, plus the numerous other vocations where pay is multi lottery win sized, it's easy to see how low so many full time incomes must be for the average to get dragged down to £27,600. 

I hope that doesn't read like some 'class war' rant, I'm just trying to illustrate how large a portion of an average income a ticket for a football match now consumes.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 12:13:35 AM by Tes »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 09:59:26 PM »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 10:17:37 PM »
Compare and contrast:

Borussia Dortmund fans set to protest over Stuttgart ticket prices for German Cup clash

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3433811/Borussia-Dortmund-fans-set-protest-Stuttgart-ticket-prices-German-Cup-clash.html

Since the inception of the PL, fans have been priced out of grounds and even priced out of watching it on TV.

Do we really see a better standard of football?

Footballers may be scientifically fitter, but are they any better?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 10:47:05 PM »
I walked out of Anfield in protest because the big clubs hold fans in contempt

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/walked-out-anfield-protest-because-7334938

Clubs need to see this as more than just belly-aching by Liverpool fans.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 11:11:34 PM »
“Would you pay £77 to watch Jordan Henderson?” – Irish fan rages at Liverpool ticket prices

http://backpagefootball.com/would-you-pay-77-to-watch-jordan-henderson-irish-fan-rages-at-liverpool-ticket-prices/104618/

Brilliant interview and if the owners could see it, look beyond the language, or realise that the language displays the passion, the anger, the hurt and realise that you can not afford to lose that.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 11:16:54 PM by Tes »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 01:17:00 AM »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 10:31:04 PM »
Anyone for tennis?

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/tennis-ball-protest-dortmund-fans-angry-stuttgart-are-charging-15/

tennis balls may be the way to go.

20,000 tennis balls will be hard to sweep under the carpet, in the midst of a game.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.