September 26, 2017, 07:18:24 PM

Author Topic: Big clubs meet at London hotel  (Read 1359 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Big clubs meet at London hotel
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2016, 04:01:06 PM »
full story at:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/mar/23/uefa-champions-league-revamp

basically:
  • Change group stage into two mini super-leagues is under consideration
  • Two mini super leagues of 8 clubs each
  • No changes expected to be announced until next season

"The possible move to a larger group format could be seen as a first step towards a European Super League. At the start of the month senior executives from Chelsea, Manchester United, Manchester City, Arsenal and Liverpool, the Premier League’s “big five” met in London to discuss the Champions League with the American tycoon Charlie Stillitano, chairman of Relevent Sports, which organises of the close season International Champions Cup. The clubs were forced to deny there are plans for a breakaway European Super League."
"But two days later Stillitano suggested a change to the Champions League might be for it to become a closed shop. “What would Manchester United argue: did we create soccer or did Leicester create [it]?” said Stillitano. “Let’s call it the money pot created by soccer and the fandom around the world. Who has had more of an integral role, Manchester United or Leicester? It’s a wonderful, wonderful story – but you could see it from Manchester United’s point of view, too. It’s the age-old argument: US sports franchises [which do not have relegation] versus what they have in Europe.”

If the Americans want to 'buy into' European clubs financially, then they need to 'buy into' the way football is organised too. Typically though they don't want to.

There's far too little of what sport is about left in football as it is. If the CL was simply to become a closed shop, with the same teams competing each season, then I'd take no interest in that aspect of our season if we were to be in it.

What we're seeing happening with Leicester is the best thing to happen in top flight football in this country since 1990, at least on a personal level. I'd much prefer to be envious of Leicester (in a nice way) of what they've been able to achieve, than looking at Man City and Chelsea, and thinking that we'll never compete without their wealth. I imagine this season will be the intermission before normal service resumes next season, but for once, I'm not wanting to turn over the adverts in between the portions of the programme.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2016, 06:33:15 PM »
If the Americans want to 'buy into' European clubs financially, then they need to 'buy into' the way football is organised too. Typically though they don't want to.

There's far too little of what sport is about left in football as it is. If the CL was simply to become a closed shop, with the same teams competing each season, then I'd take no interest in that aspect of our season if we were to be in it.

What we're seeing happening with Leicester is the best thing to happen in top flight football in this country since 1990, at least on a personal level. I'd much prefer to be envious of Leicester (in a nice way) of what they've been able to achieve, than looking at Man City and Chelsea, and thinking that we'll never compete without their wealth. I imagine this season will be the intermission before normal service resumes next season, but for once, I'm not wanting to turn over the adverts in between the portions of the programme.

spot on.

Leicester is the best thing to happen in 25 years of Sky-hijacked football.

The yanks only ever think of money.  Sports is merely one more means to make big bucks.

We don't want their franchises, nor their closed shops.

But hey - as I have said many times.....if it goes that way, then ok.  Let the top dozen clubs in Europe, play each other 10 times each year.     Meanwhile the rest of England can go it's own way, and form once more, a proper league.  I'd go back to the old four divisions format.   Proper normal wages (200 grand a year salary would be ample for the top players in a new system)......normal ticket prices, say 5 pounds at the gate....max 10.   

My first love is football.  The love of my club comes second.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2016, 10:29:16 PM »
My first love is football.  The love of my club comes second.

Exactly. I can't see how anyone can love a football club without first loving the sport, and there's much more to the sport than any single club.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.