September 26, 2017, 07:16:32 PM

Author Topic: Hillsborough Inquest  (Read 1057 times)

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
Hillsborough Inquest
« on: April 25, 2016, 07:33:47 PM »
BBC news article:

"Jurors have reached a majority decision on whether the 96 victims of the Hillsborough disaster were unlawfully killed.
The jury of six women and three men had been deliberating since 6 April after hearing evidence for two years.
The forewoman said at least seven of the nine jurors had reached agreement on the unlawful killing question in a 14-section questionnaire.
The conclusions will be formally returned at 11:00 BST on Tuesday.
The jury had already reached unanimous conclusions for 13 of the questions. Question six asked whether the 96 were unlawfully killed.
Coroner Sir John Goldring said on Monday he would accept a majority decision at the hearing in Warrington, Cheshire."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36128693

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Hillsborough Inquest
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 07:38:58 PM »
Surely they've got to return an unlawful killing 'determination'.

The FA are culpable in addition to South Yorkshire police.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 04:44:01 PM »
UNLAWFULLY KILLED.

Now will any of the bounders responsible in any way, either on the day at the ground or in the organised cover up, and continued institutionalised lies and perverting of justice and the laws of this country, be punished?

Of course not. So-called reputations are valued more highly than human lives in this country.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 05:29:30 PM »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 09:25:46 PM »
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/hillsborough-shameless-smears-lies-cover-11245354#rlabs=3%20rt$category%20p$1

In the comments section right at the bottom of the page is a comment from a Burnley fan, claretjean - it reads:

On behalf of all Burnley fans I would like to congratulate the families of the 96 for keeping on until they got justice and truth for the victims. It is also a victory for all older football fans who were treated like pigs by the authorities in the 70's and 80's.

I went to the semi-final between Burnley and Newcastle at Hillsborough in the 70's.  We were in the Leppings end and the crush was frightening. Luckily the fences weren't up then so we could get over the low wall onto the pitch.

The police and others responsible now need to be prosecuted.

I hope the 96 can now RIP.

The FA are as culpable as anybody.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 09:59:34 PM »
Kenny's reaction: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03sb5t3

Now that the fans that attended that day have finally been relieved of the blame, will Kenny's part in the aftermath of the tragedy be recognised with a knighthood? Now it's been shown that this was indeed a terrible tragedy, will his actions be reappraised and seen in their true light, and not viewed as just part of the 'seige mentality of self pity city', but the actions of an incredible human being who took on an incredible load himself?

Afterall, all these ballbag senior police officers manage to get tapped on each shoulder with the sword.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 12:51:03 PM »
Great articles Tes and agreed that Kenny should get a knighthood. Can't see it happening though, as it would highlight that the establishment had covered up one of the worst tragedies in British history.
As you say, those officers should now be put on trial.
Some awesome tributes from the majority of our players...oh, apart from Owen our first international representative who's more bothered about screaming kids.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 01:16:43 PM »
Great articles Tes and agreed that Kenny should get a knighthood. Can't see it happening though, as it would highlight that the establishment had covered up one of the worst tragedies in British history.
As you say, those officers should now be put on trial.
Some awesome tributes from the majority of our players...oh, apart from Owen our first international representative who's more bothered about screaming kids.

I don't expect anything different from Owen. Owen was always solely about Owen. He's now an International Embassador for Michael Owen. How any parent can complain about another's child crying etc is truly bizarre. Children scream and cry. They always did, they do and always will, and we all did too as children.
I doubt Owen had enough personality or soul as a child to feel anything to a deep enough degree to make him cry.
Though maybe now as an adult he does when he compares 'Brand Owen' to 'Brand Beckham'.

Dalglish's part will never be properly recognised outside of Liverpool, then again, something tells me he's just fine with that.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 01:49:10 PM »
A brilliant piece from a Leeds fan:

https://roblufc.org/2016/04/26/the-hillsborough-disaster-warnings-that-werent-heeded-by-rob-atkinson/

I should have highlighted this part:

And, similarly, in 1987, when Coventry of the Midlands faced Leeds United of the North, the greater Leeds numbers found themselves packed tight in Leppings Lane, while the smaller Coventry band enjoyed the wide open spaces on the Hillsborough Kop.

So two years prior to the Hillsborough Disaster, I and thousands of others were packed into the smaller Leppings Lane End on that April the 12th of 1987.

We were jammed in like sardines on that terrace; looking up you could see fans climbing out of the back of the crowd, up over the wall and into the upper tier of the stand where space was more freely available.

Yet the FA continued to decide which end of a ground was given to which set of fans based on the direction from where they'd traveled and which direction they'd approach the ground from and not on the basis of the number of fans that needed to be housed in the relevant ends. 

So, what, the FA thought that fans would be inconvenienced, angry, what, about having to walk around a ground to gain entry from the opposite side from where they approached? They'd been prepared to travel how ever many miles to get to the ground, but wouldn't want to walk a few hundred yards to gain entry to the ground when they got there?

Nothing was learned from previous years. Our representations to the FA both after the 1988 semi final problems and again before the 1989 one, were completely ignored. Nothing was learned from the inappropriate condition of the Heysel Stadium to stage top level football, and not a crowd of 3 people and the resident pigeons.

On both occasions of the disasters that have enveloped our club, desperate representation had been made by the club, about the exact conditions and circumstances that caused the two disasters, in a more than timely manner prior to the games being staged. Both times the football authorities totally ignored what was raised by the club. 135 needless deaths resulted.

As a Liverpool fan it's impossible to ever get those thoughts out of my head, but having read those comments from fans of other clubs, and there's no doubt in my mind there will be fans of other clubs who shared the same experience, I'm just so grateful that it hadn't happened previously, but it just makes the loss of those lives even more fruitless, if that were possible.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 11:48:13 PM »
Andy Burnham's speech in HoP was breath taking.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 11:18:15 AM »
Andy Burnham's speech in HoP was breath taking.

Without getting too far into the realm of politics, he does at least come across as one of a rare breed who does truly understand things.

It's sad that the city didn't have someone like him to represent them in 1989, 1990 and 1991.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 09:22:34 PM »
Strange how this sort of thing is only now being said:

Kenny Dalglish should be knighted for role in Hillsborough aftermath, says Glasgow City Council chief

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/kenny-dalglish-should-knighted-role-7956698

The inquest verdicts have create a new bandwagon for some it would seem.

Why wasn't this said in 1989?