December 04, 2020, 08:49:12 PM

Author Topic: Season 2016/17  (Read 180521 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2016/17
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2016, 05:03:59 PM »
Psychology looks like it could also be a problem again this season.

They need to learn quickly not to get carried away by an Arsenal result as a Burnley result follows, by a Barca result as a Mainz follows.

They have to be as motivated for the Burnleys as for the Arsenals, as they need to understand that whilst for some teams the task is to deal with the technical skills of the better teams, there is an equally big challenge to face against the so-called lesser teams, and that's one of spirit and determination, which in turn enhances the more basic technical levels of these teams.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2016, 05:50:45 PM »
For once we couldnt even blame mignolet or moreno....everyone went missing today. Firmino and coutinho can be brilliant on their day but they don't like it up them....both found wanting and thus completely useless.
The stats laughably said Goal attempts Burnley 3 and Liverpool 23 but all of our shots were half assed and wild. I get the feeling sometimes that Sturridge, Firmino and Coutinho are just happy to have a strike and aren't particularly bothered when it doesnt hit the target.
We can't play all of our fancy dan players if we're up against a defensive team. We need some steel there.
We never seem to learn.
Shocking.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2016, 08:23:32 PM »
The likes of Ings and Origi are good options when we're going to have to win the physical battle in order to try and assert ourselves meaningfully.

It's hard to think of players to play the Firmino/Coutinho roles that also have the physicality that's sometimes required.

Why can we be so ok one game and such a mess in the following, when it seems to be a team wide thing rather than just the the smaller technical players.

Maybe we should stick with the 'harder' Uruguayans and Argentinians if we're going to recruit South Americans. They quite like a ruck.  ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2016, 10:15:49 PM »
For once we couldnt even blame mignolet or moreno....everyone went missing today. Firmino and coutinho can be brilliant on their day but they don't like it up them....both found wanting and thus completely useless.
The stats laughably said Goal attempts Burnley 3 and Liverpool 23 but all of our shots were half assed and wild. I get the feeling sometimes that Sturridge, Firmino and Coutinho are just happy to have a strike and aren't particularly bothered when it doesnt hit the target.
We can't play all of our fancy dan players if we're up against a defensive team. We need some steel there.
We never seem to learn.
Shocking.

Maybe there's a case for Coutinho and Firmino not to play in the same team against certain types of opposition.

It's another reason why Milner's wasted stuck at left back. Milner doesn't get bullied. He's used to all the physical stuff, obviously.
Milner's stats from last season - 21 goals/assists in 45 games, and Coutinho's -  19 goals/assists in 43 games.

Whilst Milner doesn't score the kind of goals Coutinho's capable of, and he's not as exciting or glamourous to watch, sometimes it's about dealing with what you're up against and what's in front of you, and just getting a job done - winning ugly beats a 2-0 embarrassment every time.

Or maybe Firmino should only be regarded as a striker against certain opposition, and get in the team or not on that merit.

Lallana always disappoints against the 'less cultured' teams.

Then there's the nature of what Burnley would be. Any newly promoted team that hasn't had a reasonable turnover of players from the previous season in the division below, is pretty much always going to be a certain way. For the most part you have to put together a certain kind of squad to achieve being one of the three best teams in the division and get out of it.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2016, 12:45:37 AM »
Next up is the League Cup tie away at Burton Albion.

Klopp needs to play his first choice back four in this game, as even though that means an extra game, that is exactly what is needed at the moment, especially for Klavan and Lovren to try and develop their partnership.

Despite the fact that Moreno is MIA half the time, it's hardly helpful for Klaven having two different left backs playing outside him in as many games. Neither is it helpful when neither are bona fide left backs.
How is Klaven supposed to develop and understanding of what his left back is going to do, when the left backs themselves barely know?

Klopp's been unlucky with Matip's pre-season injury, and possibly also Gomez's. There's every chance Lovren and Matip would have been the central defensive partnership, with possibly Gomez getting the nod ahead of Moreno.

What is worrying is that we had no game in midweek, so Klopp had a clear window of time to work on things.

Somehow he has to get our players to focus and concentrate for every match.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2016, 06:27:38 PM »
Here's this season's first bizarre suggestion. If we don't sell Ilori, and seeing as he's not going to get into the team as a central defender, how about he gets time in the U-23s and see if he can develop into a defensive midfielder.

Potentially he has the tools - pace, good on the ball, times his tackles well and has a decent level of reading of the game. He's just not good enough in the air, and not quite strong enough when faced with big strikers, getting out-muscled in those important confined spaces as a central defender.

He could even be developed as a right back.

For me, he has that 'in between' body structure leaving him just too small overall to be a centre back, but I think there are other options where he could be (re)developed.

It doesn't look like any team is really interested in him (as a centre half), so why not use the U-23s to see if we can re-invent him. We may as well try, and at least attempt to utilise what we've got.

I told you it was a bizarre idea.  ;D 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2016, 04:29:03 PM »
Liverpool's Mamadou Sakho cleared of doping as WADA choose not to appeal UEFA ruling

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpools-mamadou-sakho-cleared-doping-11789157

At last, some good news regarding Sakho.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2016, 11:17:45 PM »
Reasonably comfortable victory at Burton, but at the expense of injuries to Can and Origi.

Good to see Studge get a couple of goals. Hopefully he can push on from here.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2016, 10:56:24 PM »
So after playing away at Burton (on Trent), we're going literally a stone's throw down the A38 to Derby (County) in the next round of the League Cup.

What next, a quick nip along the A52 to Nottingham (Forest) in round 4?   ;D  (That's if they're still in, of course) 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2016, 11:05:32 PM »
Studge isn't very happy (and I don't really blame him) with the position he's been played in:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/aug/24/daniel-sturridge-jurgen-klopp-centre-forward-liverpool

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-striker-sturridge-im-not-11795196

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/540515/Daniel-Sturridge-Jurgen-Klopp-wrong-position

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpools-daniel-sturridge-admits-feeling-8699158

We've got Markovic in the squad, Wijnaldum is right footed and better suited to playing a more advanced role as an 'attacker' than as a deeper lying central midfielder anyway, and even Milner if he wasn't propping up the left back slot. Why waste Sturridge's talents away from the central area in front of goal?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2016, 03:40:32 PM »
A decent point (normally would be regarded as such away to Spurs), just a bit disappointing that having held a lead again we couldn't see it out, and take the chance of taking 3 points from White Hart Lane, against a Spurs side that haven't yet hit their stride.

I think you have to be satisfied with a point away against a team that's likely to be top 5, then beat them at home, so you take 4 points compared to 1 against (what we hope will be) direct rivals, then you look to win home and away against the rest of the league.

The next two league games should take care of themselves (home against the defending champions, and away at Chelsea).

The following two are the real tests for this squad - Hull City at home and Swansea City away. Exactly the sort of matches we get a 'Burnley type' performance against.

Can we please have a left back so we don't waste Milner there, and give us the option of replacing Lallana with him. End product is what matters most and in that respect Milner v Lallana is a non contest.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2016, 11:11:16 PM »
Liverpool defender Mamadou Sakho faces being frozen out if he doesn't make Anfield loan exit

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3761731/Liverpool-defender-Mamadou-Sakho-faces-frozen-doesn-t-make-Anfield-loan-exit.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

So it wasn't to get fit and sharp after being out of action for an extended period. It seems more like Klopp wanted him out of the club whilst he decides what to do with him, and see whether he can regain the level of professionalism required.

If he doesn't go out on loan then give him a chance to prove himself at the club. If not, sell him. This way we're going to be a central defender down and his treatment could at some point affect squad morale.

I can't understand why we don't get Martins Indi, for the price Porto are asking. He would solve two problems, give Gomez a chance to fully recover and slowly come back without any pressure on him, and it's a very low risk fee. We could always look to improve on him next Summer, and no doubt would get our money back, should that situation actually arise.

The whole defensive side of our squad seems to be 'make do and patch up'.

A decent defence would have gained us a point at Burnley when the attack was having 'one of those days', and seen us leave White Hart Lane with 2 more points than we did.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2016, 11:07:08 PM »
An interesting opinion piece on Sakho:

Mamadou Sakho “needs to grow up” – Klopp finds similar problems to Ancelotti and Blanc

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2016/08/mamadou-sakho-klopp-finds-similar-problems-ancelotti-blanc/

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2016, 11:12:08 PM »
Harry Kewell on coaching: I was a great player but my destiny is to be an elite manager (inserts crying with laughter smilie)

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/705403/Harry-Kewell-Watford-Liverpool-Leeds-Premier-League-management

Harry Kewell - a legend in his own back garden.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2016, 11:40:53 PM »
wowowo.....what a big head kewell is.

in that interview, there must be a couple of hundred times where he uses the word - I

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.