February 28, 2020, 10:45:08 AM

Author Topic: Season 2016/17  (Read 140466 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2016/17
« Reply #135 on: December 17, 2016, 12:21:04 AM »
Good solid win against Boro, and good to see a clean sheet.

Lallana made up for his stupid foul against West Ham. It's small things like that, being more disciplined and focused when thinking about putting in a challenge around the area, that can make a huge difference.

I think Klopp did the right thing taking Karius out of the sniping line, and a few games watching the league closely from the bench might just teach him a few little pointers that could help him develop.

Avictory at Goodison on Monday would be a sweet early Christmas present for us all.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 19, 2016, 11:29:01 PM »
Hardly the greatest game of football we'll ever see, but when you can't blitz the opposition, sometimes you have to scrape and victory anyway you can.

It's good to see us win despite an under par performance.

And that's two clean sheets in a row, and both without Matip. That's promising.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 21, 2016, 10:38:15 PM »
vital late goal.

we needed those three points

or else the gap between us and Chelsea gets dangerously big.

Chelsea's run of wins, is title winning form.

hazard, costa and kante are key.  No injuries for them so far.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 27, 2016, 09:03:20 PM »
Showed good character coming back from the early goal, but teams are still scoring too easily against us.

We really do need to 'invest' in a top class goalkeeper. It's no coincidence that  teams that are successful in the PL tend to have a top tier goalkeeper and not one of the level of our's.

Maybe Karius could gain experience of the rough and tumble of English football by spending a season or two with the U-23s.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 31, 2016, 03:05:40 PM »
I think the lack of top quality at the back and it goal will cost us the title. Chelsea are too solid at the back so even when they play badly they can eek out a 1-0 win.

City are due a win at Anfield and they may get it.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 02, 2017, 03:56:16 PM »
half time

Sunderland 1 Liverpool 1

And over at City, they are down to ten men. 

I think Klopp will get our boys invigorated for the second half.  We need to keep the pressure on Chelsea with three points.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 02, 2017, 05:37:00 PM »
crappy performance.

three needless penalties - luckily only two were given.

Sunderland could, maybe should have nicked the win.

I would be having a serious word with a few of our lads about keeping their hands down.  Lazy lazy defending.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 02, 2017, 07:49:04 PM »
Hi folks!

Been off for a while I know. Will try to pop in more regularly from now on.

Great win against City, only to throw away whatever chance we had at the title against Sunderland. True, the better teams suffer more than poor one's from fixture congestion but just as against Bournemouth it's clear we're not even close to have a team good enough for a sustained challenge. Firmino's been utterly crap since the last break and today he was no better. Can, and I have said this on many occasions before, is a liability. Totally responsible for the non-penalty they were awarded through his poor concentration level that led to them win a throw-in. Mané's just huff and puff. Fair enough he do some fancy tricks next to the corner flag but ultimately fail, and have done so since the last break, to penetrate the box successfully.

3-4 injuries and everything we have goes out the window. That speaks volume our squad is marginally better than Hull's in terms of strength in depth no other comparisons.

What will happen now is we will lose to United, draw against Swansea and lose to Chelsea. Then we will have fallen like a stone through the table and we'll start playing catch up to reach 4th. Eventually we'll finish 5th.

I will say for the millionth time, WE NEED A QUALITY CM AND STRIKER to have any chance to play with the big boys.

Klopp's changed alot but he haven't managed to exorcist Liverpool FC's ability to beat a top team one day only to drop poins against relegation fodder the next.

It was fun as long as it lasted.

Oh, and sell Firmino NOW!
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 03, 2017, 05:16:32 AM »
What will happen now is we will lose to United, draw against Swansea and lose to Chelsea. Then we will have fallen like a stone through the table and we'll start playing catch up to reach 4th. Eventually we'll finish 5th.

Oh, and sell Firmino NOW!

Happy 2017, Martin!   ::)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 03, 2017, 09:45:02 PM »
Happy 2017, Martin!   ::)

Now Brendan's built up an unassailable lead in Scotland, he's got more time on his hands.  ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 03, 2017, 10:11:19 PM »
crappy performance.

three needless penalties - luckily only two were given.

Sunderland could, maybe should have nicked the win.

I would be having a serious word with a few of our lads about keeping their hands down.  Lazy lazy defending.

It was a mentally tired looking performance. The first penalty was one of those annoying ones where the attacker having nowhere to go, pushes the ball between two players and tries to follow it through a gap which he simply can't fit through, and as contact is made, down he goes. It's one of those 50/50 types of decisions, which some refs give and others see it for what it is.

Mane was just plain daft.

We had chances but shot too close to the keeper on too many occasions. Few of his saves were really difficult.

Now for a little perspective. How many times have we finished in the top four over the last 6 seasons?
Are we really expecting to go from 8th to even challenging for the title having spent £what? overall in the Summer?
I'd rather we made the sort of progress that can be built on further next season, than jump from 8th to an unexpected title win, only to drop back to struggling to finish top four next season.

The squad is coming together nicely, in that the players brought in actually fit the template, rather than just collecting players and trying to make something from them. Even without European football, we can't build a quality squad that also has sufficient depth in just one Summer window.

Can is now starting to irritate me. He's not progressing. He still lacks concentration and focus for the entire 90 minutes, which is needed in the PL, despite this being his third season. He still lacks discipline and requires far too many touches.
Hendo has adapted well to his new role, so is now a real miss, and if Lucas leaves, then a proper central midfielder has to move up the list of priorities.

I think we can still pick out 5 or even 6 positions that still need strengthening, either with a first choice or further depth, but I'd rather we didn't see too many additions, even if it's possible to get the required quality, in January.

It will be interesting to see if Klopp thinks he needs to bring in a player with pace to replace Mane's absence or whether he looks at filling a more longer term need within the team.

I think we could do with 1 or 2 if possible this window, just to freshen things up and maybe given one or two players a bit of a break.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 08, 2017, 03:38:46 PM »
Klopp may have many strengths. Creating a winning mentality isn't one of them. The lack of urgency and sheer desperation in 2nd half is a testament this highly embarrassing result is good enough in the eyes of the German.

We've become such a small club even League 2 sides are confident of getting a result by parking the bus knowing full well our players aren't good enough to dismantle it.

I really cannot see us get anything from this season especially as our manager invest time and energy at keeping players like Stewart at the club. Why?

So now a pointless re-play at the end of the world awaits because our young players seem so fukcin comfortable just being comfortable.

Woodburn I like though. Great talent who should be piissed off watching the worthless and highly overrated Ojo get a full 90.

Again this feeling is back any team can get a point against us. Dread to think what the mancs will do to us a week from now.

I love Klopp but on the back of today's disjointed and gutless performance I question his ability to instill a winning mentality at the club.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 03:40:28 PM by Martinmarx »
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 09, 2017, 04:17:35 PM »
I don't think he had much choice in doing what he did. With a League Cup semi-final coming up he had to prioritise that at this stage over the FA Cup.

The squad doesn't have the depth of quality yet so he's only got a core group of players that he can use throughout the league season, and with injuries, that gets depleted further.

Of course it would be great to put out a team made up mainly of very young players and for them to be accomplished enough in every way to deal with the likes of Plymouth, but it's highly unlikely that can happen.

Whilst young players obviously play within a team, it's as much about individual development as it is about developing a solid team unit within the age group, so when you have a group of young players, plus a sprinkling of first teamers, you'll get the disjointed functioning that we saw yesterday.

The replay may be unhelpful in terms of the distance to travel and it's timing within the season, sandwiched between 2 league games and the League Cup semi final legs, but if the young players are given further experience of 'proper, meaningful' football, it may prove vital in their development.

They weren't outplayed, embarrassed or beaten. Klopp may have to juggle his players more between the replay on Wednesday 18th January and the Swansea game on the Saturday (21st January), but at kick off yesterday, he had to be looking at making sure we had the best group of players available for the first leg away at Southampton on Wednesday and then the huge away game at the Mancs on Sunday.

If he'd play a strong team and we'd picked up injuries to add to the absences we already have, and had have been left with depleted resources for the next two games, then meltdown would have ensued.

We want to go one better in this season's League Cup, but we have to get there first, and the Mancs are on a roll at the moment, but stealing an away win would put some daylight between us and them, and be a further three points nearer securing a top three finish.

We don't have the cash to buy success and Klopp doesn't work that way, and when you see the overall under-performances over the last few seasons of expensively assembled, big name squads, I'm much happier with organic development and building success that way. I also think it gives us the chance of success being more sustainable too.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 15, 2017, 09:36:21 AM »
I thought Wednesday's selection was a bit odd. Lallana's best form has been where he's played all season, and Wijnaldum played further forward for Newcastle, with more goals, assists and chances created.
Then there's Lucas, who's position surely is as a central player, and Can, who doesn't have the skill set to play that central role yet.

Therefore, I don't understand why we didn't go with a midfield three of Lallana (right), Lucas (central and Can (left), and move Wijnaldum forward onto the left of the attack. That would have had all 4 players playing in arguably their most natural and strongest positions.
Moving Wijnaldum would have meant Firmino switching to the right, but he did that pretty much anyway when Coutinho came on.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 15, 2017, 09:39:11 AM »
Today's game is going to have to go right against form for us to get anything from it. They're unbeaten in 15, and finding ways of winning games they weren't earlier in the season, and we've not even managed to score in the last two games.

I'd settle for a draw, and normally I'd say 0-0, but that would mean three games without a goal, which is not good.