October 20, 2017, 02:25:09 AM

Author Topic: Season 2016/17  (Read 11000 times)

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2016/17
« Reply #225 on: March 18, 2017, 10:12:19 PM »
Another interesting, though obvious observation from Giles:

John Giles: Klopp and Guardiola wouldn't know how to put a basic defensive training drill together

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/john-giles-klopp-and-guardiola-wouldnt-know-how-to-put-a-basic-defensive-training-drill-together-35543545.html

Though maybe not as glamourous, and even seen as an inconvenience by some, a defence is as vital as an attack to a team's success. We are not Barcelona, and the PL, more than any other league is not La Liga.

One way or the other Klopp needs to sort that out. It cost us the title under Rodgers, and ultimately his job. It's why Evans' team, the best team going forward in the league at the time, were also 'barely rans'.

Yes because his Dortmund team was defensively frail...............He needs to be backed in the transfer market and he'll get what you are seeking. He brought in Matip who's been a very good signing and from August to December Milner at left back was solid. If had been given the left back he wanted then we'd have been more balanced. There is a reason he's not playing Moreno. His mistake was giving Mignolet another chance and Karius really needs another 12-18 months to really see how he develops.

But he needs backing in the transfer market. He can only teach old dogs so many tricks because no matter how much you try and polish a turd, at the end of the day a turd will always be a turd.

But I find it amusing certain people are already turning on him because trust me when I tell you this he can walk into any club in the world as manager tomorrow and I even said to Martin that when he arrived I was worried about his legacy because he can walk into any job in the world but he chose us. But as this club are so inept he is frankly our last hope of ever doing anything notably again otherwise we'll turn into Everton. I don't trust us and partly wished he went to the mancs or Barcelona or real or Bayern so his talent would match the success he'd have their. With us he can use all his talent in the world, but if we refuse to sign his No.1 target players then he can only do so much.

P.S. I also have to laugh at Dude saying we were ever balanced with Rafa as manager. We were totally negative team 'sh it on a stick football' was what it was called. If we were truly a balanced team from 2006 to 2009 we'd have won a league title. As the mancs were truly a balanced team then with defensive nous matched with attacking flair. We have defensive nous but no attacking flair - we only had Torres and Gerrard. Balanced my bottom.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 18, 2017, 10:20:33 PM »
Balanced teams in PL era:-

92 - 94 - Man Utd

97 - 98 - Arsenal

98 - 2002 - Man Utd

2000 - 2005 - Arsenal

2004 - 2008 - Chelsea

2007 - 2011 - Man Utd

2009 - 2010 - Chelsea

2013 - 2015 - Chelsea

2016 - 2017 - Chelsea

See the coincidences?

Non balanced teams:-

1992 - 1995 - Blackburn

1994 - 1998 - Liverpool

1992 - 1994 - Arsenal

1999 - 2004 - Liverpool

2004 - 2009 - Liverpool

2005 - 2017 - Arsenal

1999 - 2004 - Chelsea

2010 - 2014 - Man City

2013 - 2017 - Liverpool

2011 - 2017 - Man Utd

Spot the differences? Yes those teams won trophies but won it in the main due to individual talent and either through defensive nous or attacking flair not both. Or didn't win anything due to lacking one of the other.

So please stop the boll ocks that we were ever balanced under Rafa. If you think we were balanced then I suggest you read the definition of that it means.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 19, 2017, 04:29:47 PM »
Worship money and are bankrupt when it comes to their knowledge, understanding and even care, about football.
Fans aren't ever even an afterthought. They hype their 'product' and actually believe that the hype is reality.

absolutely.

And that's the thing about it - I have lived abroad for many years, and I just do not get the appeal of the Premiership, relative to other leagues.  The technical quality in Italy, Spain and Germany is superior.  The natural abilities of players in south america is far superior.

The premiership is a well marketed brand......scratch below the surface, and it is pretty ordinary fare.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 19, 2017, 04:38:43 PM »
He needs to be backed in the transfer market and he'll get what you are seeking.

If had been given the left back he wanted then we'd have been more balanced.

But he needs backing in the transfer market. He can only teach old dogs so many tricks because no matter how much you try and polish a turd, at the end of the day a turd will always be a turd.

If we refuse to sign his No.1 target players then he can only do so much.

I was worried about his legacy because he can walk into any job in the world but he chose us.

But as this club are so inept he is frankly our last hope of ever doing anything

I partly wished he went to the mancs or Barcelona or real or Bayern so his talent would match the success he'd have their.

P.S. I also have to laugh at Dude saying we were ever balanced with Rafa as manager. We were totally negative team 'sh it on a stick football' was what it was called.

I have not read as much tripe for a long while.

You keep going on about FSG needing to back our manager in the transfer market.  But Jurgen has repeatedly said that he has their full backing, and has never once been turned down when it comes to money and bringing new players in.

So stop telling porkies.   

Contrast that with the bloke you wanted sacked - Rafa Benitez.  In Rafa's last two seasons, he had very little funds to work with.  Indeed, in his last summer, he had a net spend of a mere ten thousand pounds. 

Jurgen needs to start from the back, and establish a good defence. 

I don't think I have ever seen a weaker spine in a Liverpool team, in my entire lifetime.

Our inability to compete and beat the lesser sides, is an embarrassment. 
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 02, 2017, 10:49:34 AM »
a very good weekend for Liverpool

We beat Everton, Chelsea lost, and United drew.

and Arsenal and City will take points off each other today.

Mind you, I thought Everton were woeful, and we were not an awful lot better.

We are still not competing for the ball, or committing to the tackle.  Against lower teams, if nothing changes, we will continue to flounder.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 06, 2017, 04:03:59 AM »
Two points thrown away.

Two awful goals conceded.

Was Klavan having a nap?  Why didn't he stop the guy turning and getting his shot off.

Awful defending.  I suspect he is, at best, a squad player.  Perhaps an upgrade will happen in the summer.

Klopp's team can only attack with heavy metal football.  It cannot defend.  It cannot see games out.  Same old, same old.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 09, 2017, 12:13:57 AM »
Stoke 1 Liverpool 2

came from a goal down, to get out of jail.

useless defending at times.

Winaldum dropped another clanger - almost gave Stoke a second.

Klopp has a lot of work to do this summer.  And I hope he doesn't see his problems as offensive.  Apart from Matip, we pretty much need a whole new defence.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 12, 2017, 06:16:45 PM »
#bedsforawayfans

what a classy touch from Dortmund and it's fans - in the midst of it's own turmoil, it thinks of others.

Warms the soul to see such thoughtfulness and kindness.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 16, 2017, 05:15:29 PM »
Six points from Stoke and WBA........points in the bag rather than games in hand all day long.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 05, 2017, 09:58:24 PM »
Nothing but a win against Southampton will do now.

I've only just got over the frustration of the Palace game, though the Watford smash n grab was welcome.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.