September 26, 2017, 07:16:54 PM

Author Topic: January Transfer Window 2017  (Read 874 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
January Transfer Window 2017
« on: September 07, 2016, 07:37:24 AM »
Liverpool scouts to watch Mahmoud Dahoud as Jurgen Klopp keeps tabs on chief target

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-scouts-watch-mahmoud-dahoud-8777631

He's reported to have a clause that comes into effect in 2017 for an £8.5M (or very close to that figure) buyout figure.

Whether it's true, who knows, or whether it's only Summer 2017, but I can see Klopp trying to get him again in January if at all possible.
I think his plan is to pair Dahoud with Can. Neither are dedicated defensive midfielders, but can defend, so I think his idea is to have two 'who can', rather than one that 'only' defends, and one would sit and the other join the attack if applicable.

I still think Can could be moulded to be a Hamann type player, if he can just get his head around the more disciplined approach and understand that a 'Hamann type' player is equally as important as a 'Gerrard type' player, both within the midfield make-up and the team.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: January Transfer Window 2017
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 12:38:24 PM »
Like you, if that release clause is correct, I see us getting him in January.

And by clearly sending scouts to this recent game, we are sending out the message to both player and club, that we want him.

Klopp is raiding Germany for gems.  And several of our acquisitions will be German nationals for many years to come I suspect.

They bring a technical excellence (and mental excellence), that I always felt was what we had, during our era of dominance.

The lad may play alongside Can.  Unsure. 

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 03:55:54 PM »
If Sakho is released, either on loan, or sold then, then it's imperative he's replaced. We can't 'make do' with Lucas filling in, and Joe Gomez's season is about re-abilitation, and ultimately being fit for pre-season 2017.
He's a young man who's body is still developing in certain ways and so a long term view needs to be taken on any expectations we have for him this season.

I would prefer Sakho to go out on loan, rather than be sold, as I think he can still be an asset once he understands what's expected from him under Klopp.

Maybe Nice could do a re-habilitation job on him for half a season.  ;D

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 05:53:37 PM »
I think Klopp's mind is made up, Tes.

The lad has had these problems before at clubs.

I think he's probably a bad influence......and he's ill-discipined on the pitch.

I'd sell.  But that's just me.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 10:36:47 PM »
I'd sell.  But that's just me.

Nah, Dude, we'll keep you. You're priceless.  ;D

Something certainly did happen at PSG for him to fall from grace after being their youngest captain to not being able to buy a minute on the pitch.
You'd hope at some time he'll mature and settle down. I'd prefer that to be with us, but if Klopp has an upgrade lined up for January, then it would be better all round.

No player really seems to be safe under Klopp, and that's exactly how it should be, and if making one or two examples gets everyone to understand what is expected of them if they want to play for this club, and that includes future signings, then I'm all for that.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 10:42:29 PM »
We're seemingly being linked with a January move for Schalke's left back, Sead Kolasinac, who played alongside Matip. He's available on a free in the Summer, so whether we get him signed up and he arrives in the Summer, or we pay a reduced fee and bring him in January, none of the reports seem sure.

It's good to see that Klopp hasn't settled for playing Milner out of position long term.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 06:34:14 PM »
We're seemingly being linked with a January move for Schalke's left back, Sead Kolasinac, who played alongside Matip. He's available on a free in the Summer, so whether we get him signed up and he arrives in the Summer, or we pay a reduced fee and bring him in January, none of the reports seem sure.

It's good to see that Klopp hasn't settled for playing Milner out of position long term.

I am very comfortable with Milner.

A world class left back has always been historically hard to find, for any club.  Like gold dust.

The new German defender, I love the way Klopp and his pals know the German market so well, and can pick these guys up for nothing, or for peanuts.

It would be a cold day in hell before Brendan Rodgers or our chief scout found such cheap gems.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 05:43:44 PM »
I am very comfortable with Milner.

He's been impressive at left back, but I'd much prefer to have a 'proper' left back, and then have the 'option' of playing Milner there.

He's not looked out of his depth defensively, all things considered, and he's surprisingly creative still, even from left back.

Top pro, cool head. Every team needs them, not every team gets them.   

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 11:07:03 PM »
We keep being linked with Schalke's Bosnian left back Sead Kolasinac, who's on a free in the Summer.

I'm not saying whether we should or shouldn't go for him, but if Klopp does decide he's an option, then I'd prefer we didn't leave it until the Summer.

Getting a left back in January would free Milner up, a give us a potential wider option to deal with Mane being away at AFCON.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 10:00:41 PM »
The media is now saying we're interested in Atalanta's Franck Kessie, a defensive midfielder, who bizarrely has scored 5 and has 2 assists in 14 Serie A matches, as well as another goal in his single Coppa Italia appearance.

But can he defend?  ;D

If we were to sign him he'd probably be off to AFCON with the Ivory Coast before he'd even get to make his debut.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/12/11/agent-of-atalanta-star-franck-kessie-set-to-visit-liverpool-amid-transfer-links-6315692/
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 10:02:07 PM by Tes »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 11:10:36 PM »
If Morgan Schneiderlin is available, as the media is suggesting, then I wouldn't be unhappy if we nabbed him.
He's exactly the sort of top class, experienced player we could do with, and I think Klopp would get him back to, or even better than, the level he consistently showed at Southampton.

Of course it won't happen, however.........................

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2016, 11:14:40 PM »
Liverpool considering ambitious January transfer bid for Arsenal’s Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/12/28/liverpool-transfer-news-arsenals-alex-oxlade-chamberlain-ambitious/.

Maybe. Whether he's actually reached his full potential, or has gone stale, at Arsenal, I don't know.
It's always interesting to wonder what Klopp could do for someone like Oxlade-Chamberlain, in the same way he seems to have got far more out of Lallana, and brought more consistency to Coutinho's performances.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 03:03:52 PM »
I very much doubt we'll be doing any business in January (for the first team anyway).

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2017, 10:27:47 PM »
I very much doubt we'll be doing any business in January (for the first team anyway).

Klopp seems to talk the window down, but after the Andy Carroll nightmare, our lack of business sometimes feel like a relief.

It would be nice to see a new face or two to freshen things up and give fresh impetus for the second half of the season though, but if in 3-4 years we look back and this was the window in which we bought a player that is a mainstay of the team, then that's just as good.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 02:11:57 PM »
We looked like a team in need of fresh legs last night.

Sead Kolasinac of Schalke would be an excellent signing at left back, freeing up Milner, that in itself would be like a new midfield signing.

Freeing up Milner would also mean we could possibly move Wijnaldum forward at times, into the position he played for Newcastle, and where he could help more to contribute to the team in Mane's absence.

Likewise, Milner's got more dynamism and a better eye for a pass than the version of Can we're seeing at the moment. He also wouldn't dwell on the ball, take too many touches and unnecessarily slow play down like Can is doing/does.

Whilst hopefully we'll see more of Gomez, I'd not be against us getting Fonte from Southampton, despite him being 33. He's experienced (something we're still short of), a great organisor (something the defence lacks without Matip) and a leader on the pitch (something we have too few of as last night showed again), and still a top defender.

A couple of low cost signings/tweaks which could provide improvement well above the relevant cost.

Sometimes it really is the right player rather than the best/better individual that brings the greatest collective improvement.

Also, neither bring egos, and would enhance, rather than disrupt, the team ethic Klopp is trying to build.