September 26, 2017, 07:16:43 PM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window 2017  (Read 2841 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window 2017
« Reply #180 on: August 30, 2017, 06:17:13 PM »
And just when it couldn't get any worse - it does.

Oxo-Chamberpot's agent is guess who - yes, one Aidy Ward. Remember him? Sterling's pet clown.

Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 30, 2017, 06:26:17 PM »
If we can't get at least one centre half then getting Krychowiak from PSG would at least bring a bit more defensive balance to the team, and possible free up Wiljnaldum to be more offensive.

Dear, oh dear.

Grzegorz Krychowiak pictured following West Brom medical

http://www.squawka.com/news/grzegorz-krychowiak-pictured-following-west-brom-medical/985916#1ZgAACmRTg2S2KLi.97

WBA. On loan.

How's that happened? Where were we. A quality addition and option to add to the squad. And for relative pennies.

And instead we're getting Aidy Ward back.

From Keita to this. Only at LFC.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 30, 2017, 07:24:20 PM »
Liverpool transfer news: Divock Origi close to Wolfsburg loan deal

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/847855/Liverpool-Transfer-News-Divock-Origi-Wolfsburg-Loan-Bundesliga

This could be a really smart move by Klopp.

Draxler made the step up there after leaving Schalke - goes to PSG
De Bruyne likewise after leaving Chelsea - Man City mainstay now
Ricardo Rodríguez - now at Milan
Edin Dzeko - Man City at the height of his powers
Mario Mandzukic - Bayern, Atletico Madrid, now Juventus

They seem to have a great effect on attacking players and they leave much better players than when they arrived. Maybe this is exactly what Origi needs.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 31, 2017, 03:27:11 PM »
Divock Origi leaves Liverpool for Wolfsburg on season-long loan

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/divock-origi-leaves-liverpool-wolfsburg-13555190

The Bundesliga outfit will pay all of his wages and a substantial loan fee of around £6million to secure the services of the Belgium international.

The ECHO understands that there is no option for the Germans to buy Origi at the end of the loan, with Klopp still viewing the frontman as part of his long-term plans.

Great deal for all involved.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 01, 2017, 09:55:56 AM »
So, that's that.

Not only did we not get Van Dijk, but surely that was on the cards from the moment we messed it up, we still didn't bother with a Plan B, even during the last week of the window, and we also sold Sakho.

So the one area that needed the most strengthening and upgrading, we've actually weakened.

Whilst Lucas last season wasn't really the answer, at least he was one more 'answer' than we now have.

Harry Maguire and Michael Keane are both better than Klavan, if not Lovren. What was wrong with strengthening the no3 choice (at the very least) whilst pursuing a new no1?

With Gomez being used as a right back, and of course we can use him as a left back, as shown when Rodgers did, we've effectively only got 3 centre halves.

I can see us being forced into a 'three' at the back, but with only one of those being a centre half, the other two will be from Gomez (possibly counts as a centre half), Clyne, Alexander-Arnold and possibly Flanno (who's the most natural defender of the four).

Beating WBA to the loan (and we could have had an option to buy) of Krychowiak (I can't believe he's actually gone WBA and on loan), would have at least given an option to strengthen the defensive aspect of the team, if not the actual back four.

The entire defensive side of the game seems to be either just an afterthought with Klopp, as it was with Rodgers, and is with Wenger and Guardiola, or he has an idealistic view of how it can be done, that doesn't seem to include the basics of tackling, marking, tracking etc, and actually having players that defend and can defend to  the same degree as our attackers attack and can attack.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 01, 2017, 10:32:14 AM »
It was probably rather naive of the club not to sell Can and get money in for him and his replacement signed, but for some reason we're still thinking and hoping he will sign a new contract.

Why is it naive? There's no certainty he will sign a new contract, and why should he?
He has the chance to go to Juve, perennial Italian champions, losing finalists in last season's CL, and absolutely nailed on to be in the CL every season.

Are we at that level yet? Can we offer the same thing? No and no.

We could have pushed Juve for £25M, not €25M, I'm sure, and used that to buy a player who will definitely then be here beyond the end of this season. We've missed our chance.
Juve may come back with less than half that amount in January, but how are we going to get an adequate replacement in January, and without adding a whole lot more to what Juve offer.

Unless we manage to get someone like Leon Goretzka from Schalke signed up on a pre contract in January, replacing Can in the same way we're likely to lose him, then already the transfer budget is being spent on replacing, rather than upgrades and additions.

Will Can make a £25M contribution to the team this season? It's debatable. Highly debatable.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 02, 2017, 12:04:10 PM »
So according to Barcelona and the Catalan press, we supposedly asked for £185M yesterday, which was Spanish deadline day.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4846396/Barcelona-Liverpool-wanted-185m-Philippe-Coutinho.html

Another 'report' claims we would sell but Coutinho could only join in January, and another I've seen stated that we wanted all the cash up front (strangely, Barca expected PSG to do that  8)).

They're also stating they bid for Lemar on Friday, but after agreeing €100M with Arsenal (only for Lemar to turn them down)on Thursday, Monaco wanted €120M on Friday. http://www.insidefutbol.com/2017/09/02/barcelona-shocked-at-price-of-arsenal-and-liverpool-target-thomas-lemar-on-spains-deadline-day/349606/

It's a huge face saving exercise for Barca's president.

It they weren't so conceited, condescending and complacent towards other clubs, they may have got their players, but they think they can dictate the fee, the terms etc and basically offer less than 2/3 of the fee upfront, and clubs will just bow down before them.

Having made PSG pay the entire Neymar fee upfront, they've set the precedent, but think they can dictate that sort of term to a buying club, but get away with paying 2/3 of the fee, and over a period of time too (without any add-ons) when they're the buying club.   

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 02, 2017, 12:16:56 PM »
I don't think Arsenal really intended to sign Lemar when they bid £92M. I think it was firstly to price us out of a deal for Lemar, having bid so much more over our highest bid, we'd be forced to up our bid to what was probably an unacceptable level, and also in putting in a bid for Lemar, it would look as though to Sanchez they were prepared to let him have his transfer as they were trying to get a replacement to facilitate it, and to the fans, to make it look like they had ambition and whilst letting Sanchez go, they'd only done it reluctantly and with bringing in a replacement.

It will be interesting to see if either us or them go back in for Lemar in January, and if City go back in for Sanchez.

City may well go back in for Sanchez and pay a fee, rather than risk a foreign club coming to an agreement in January for a free transfer, whereas City can't get a pre-contract agreement with them being in the same country as Sanchez.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 02, 2017, 12:24:40 PM »
I think it's pretty obvious we've been played by Can and he'll go to Juve for free next Summer.

We should have cashed in and bought a replacement. We could have cashed in and got Krychowiak on loan (with or without an option to buy), giving us a dedicated defensive midfielder into the bargain. Krychowiak, whilst not being the same sort of player as Keita, would have seen us through until next Summer with Keita then arriving, and some of the Keita fee being offset by what we brought in for Can.

It's going to be hard to put up with Can and Coutinho, knowing that neither want to be here next season, and would have probably preferred to even be somewhere else this season.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 02, 2017, 12:41:57 PM »
So according to Barcelona and the Catalan press, we supposedly asked for £185M yesterday, which was Spanish deadline day.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4846396/Barcelona-Liverpool-wanted-185m-Philippe-Coutinho.html

Another 'report' claims we would sell but Coutinho could only join in January, and another I've seen stated that we wanted all the cash up front (strangely, Barca expected PSG to do that  8)).

They're also stating they bid for Lemar on Friday, but after agreeing €100M with Arsenal (only for Lemar to turn them down)on Thursday, Monaco wanted €120M on Friday. http://www.insidefutbol.com/2017/09/02/barcelona-shocked-at-price-of-arsenal-and-liverpool-target-thomas-lemar-on-spains-deadline-day/349606/

It's a huge face saving exercise for Barca's president.

It they weren't so conceited, condescending and complacent towards other clubs, they may have got their players, but they think they can dictate the fee, the terms etc and basically offer less than 2/3 of the fee upfront, and clubs will just bow down before them.

Having made PSG pay the entire Neymar fee upfront, they've set the precedent, but think they can dictate that sort of term to a buying club, but get away with paying 2/3 of the fee, and over a period of time too (without any add-ons) when they're the buying club.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/641974/Liverpool-full-146m-fee-Philippe-Coutinho-January-Barcelona-Transfer-News-Gossip

£185M all upfront, and he moves in January.

You want our player, after our window has closed, then that's the price, take it or leave.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 10, 2017, 09:55:16 AM »
Barcelona target furious with Catalan giants over inability to complete £114m+ summer swoop

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2017/09/10/barcelona-target-furious-with-catalan-giants-over-inability-to-complete-114m-summer-swoop/

"In addition, it’s claimed that he’s annoyed by the attitude of the Barca hierarchy as they ultimately failed to live up to their promises of taking him to the Nou Camp where he would be playing for the club right now.

Having convinced him that they would eventually reach a deal after visiting their offices, as per the report, Coutinho feels let down by the La Liga outfit and it now raises question marks over their ability to sign him in the future.
"

Seeing as we told them he wasn't for sale, how did he end up in a situation of 'visiting their offices', as we wouldn't have given them permission to negotiate with him?

It shows either how petty Southampton were over reporting us, or how naive and how much of a pushover we still are. Of course, that only applies if any of it is remotely true.

I'm not surprised Coutinho is p!ssed with them, as their bids of only 2/3 as the fee, and an entire 1/3 in add-ons, no matter how easy they would have been to eventually 'achieve', was pretty derisory.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 11, 2017, 10:49:38 AM »
Liverpool news: Jordan Henderson has tried to get me for five years - Oxlade-Chamberlain

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/643921/Liverpool-news-Alex-Oxlade-Chamberlain-Jordan-Henderson

"“When I was with England with Stevie (Steven Gerrard) we touched on Liverpool but Jordan [Henderson] is the one who most talked about Liverpool,” he told The Times.

“For five years, he’s kept telling me that I need to come to Liverpool because he was enjoying it so much and he feels I’d fit in, and the club would get the best out of me. This week it’s come true.”
"

Watch Wenger come out now and tell us all he was vindicated in saying Oxlade-Chamberlain was 'tapped up'.

If clubs and managers have a problem with players on international duty telling their international team mates to come and play for their club, then they're incredibly thin skinned. It's team mates talking, and it's just the personal view of an individual, not anything to do with the club, and certainly not in an official representative status.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 18, 2017, 12:07:17 PM »
Euro Paper Talk: Julian Draxler wants to leave Paris Saint-Germain

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11041810/euro-paper-talk-julian-draxler-wants-to-leave-paris-saint-germain

How to use the transfer budget best - Julian Draxler or Alex Oxlade- Chamberlain.

Hmmmmmm, tough one isn't it? Not.   :'(  :'(   :'(