November 25, 2017, 09:28:12 AM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window 2017  (Read 4083 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window 2017
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2017, 07:16:25 PM »
Now, if we only had Jamie Vardy leading the line, then heck, opponents would need oxygen tanks to keep up with us.

;D
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2017, 07:18:13 PM »
If Chelsea or City come back in for Van Dijk, then all we need to do is follow Southampton's scouts and buy whichever centre halves they are scouting. Cut's out the middle man.  ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2017, 07:27:55 PM »
We will be held over a barrel even more now for any centre half we go for.

We need to learn to tap up properly, and how to get away with it, like all our other competitors manage to do successfully.

Maybe we are really serious about Ryan Bertrand and didn't want to upset Southampton too much by trying to buy half their back four in one Summer.  ;D

It's going to be a long Summer, as always, and we can't blame Ian Ayre this time.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2017, 07:44:57 PM »
If Southampton try for Sakho, as they did in January, then the price needs to go up by £10M for them.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2017, 09:49:38 PM »
From: Liverpool row with Southampton over Virgil van Dijk proves selling clubs will no longer be bullied

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/06/07/liverpool-row-southampton-overvirgil-van-dijk-proves-selling/

"Southampton were well aware that their player was being tapped up, but when multiple stories emerged this week that he had decided to join Liverpool, the view at St Mary’s was that enough was enough. "

Did the club stupidly brief certain journalists about Van Dijk preferring to play for Klopp, in order to make the likes of Chelsea and Man City decide not to continue their pursuit?

We need to go back to doing everything under a cast cloak of secrecy, so that anything that appears in the media is then definitely simple guesswork by journalists.

It was always going to be hard to get another player from Southampton, but to handle it this way shows contempt for a club for whom the player is registered and employed, and we have yet again been made to look amateurish, foolish and weak in our transfer dealings.

Like with those employed at the head of the scouting department, we seem to have a lightweight in Michael Edwards, who is basically a stats analyst.

FSG need to understand that in order to truly compete (when we can't go toe to toe financially), we need absolute top class people working at all levels of the recuitment side, and trying to do it on the cheap with lesser lights, will ultimately cost us more, both financially and in reputation, as this latest mess has done.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2017, 03:23:57 PM »
Like with those employed at the head of the scouting department, we seem to have a lightweight in Michael Edwards, who is basically a stats analyst.

FSG need to understand that in order to truly compete (when we can't go toe to toe financially), we need absolute top class people working at all levels of the recuitment side, and trying to do it on the cheap with lesser lights, will ultimately cost us more, both financially and in reputation, as this latest mess has done.

nail on the head.

FSG did great with the stadium.....hats off to them (and in getting Klopp).

but on every other score they have been found wanting.

their arrogance, in insisting on appointing their own personal choices, often americans, is baffling.

they are in another country, indeed another continent, involved in a sport they have zero knowledge of, and yet they think they know best.

Michael Edwards is a kid.....37 years old......far too young to be in such a senior job.

And don't start me on their scouting dept....and our chief scout.

And I am still very unclear as to this new chief executive.......sounds a lot like Ayres, i.e.  another guy who is very good at marketing/sponsorship deals.

If I were at the club, and I have said this before, I would clean out a large chunk of our senior people. 

And most of all, we need a top class, proven, chief exec.....david dein, john smith, peter robinson type.

This Van Dijk debacle is beyond embarrassing.   It makes me question whether we are an amateur or professional outfit.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2017, 10:08:29 PM »
I know we like to make a now annual purchase from Southampton, but in addition to Van Dijk (Lovren's replacement), and Ryan Bertrand, we're now being linked with Dusan Tadic (who was Lallana's replacement) and now, today, Fraser Forrester.

Everton have done rather well in picking up Davy Klaassen, who could prove to be a shrewd signing, even at £23.6M 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2017, 01:29:04 PM »

http://www.football365.com/news/roma-to-compromise-over-liverpool-fee-for-salah

"The Serie A side were previously holding out for £39million for Salah – a club-record fee for Liverpool, who now hope to ‘strike a compromise’ with the Italians.

The Daily Mail claim that the club will offer around £5m in add-ons as part of the deal, with the initial fee likely to reach around £35m.

Roma need to sell players by June 30 in order to comply with Financial Fair Play regulations, which significantly strengthens Liverpool’s hand in negotiations.
"

So we're upping our original offer of £28M to £35M plus £5M in add-ons.

If Roma need to sell to satisfy Financial Fair Play regulations (whatever that entails in reality), then we should only up our offer to £30M, plus add-ons.

Is Salah really worth a potential £40M? I'm not in the least bit convinced that he is.

Also, as he is right footed, where will he play? It seems expensive for cover/competition for Mane and we'll lose both to the African Nations Cup every two years anyway.

It seems like a huge chunk of our transfer budget, especially with at least one centre half, two left backs, and the option of a more defensively focused midfielder, surely being higher on the list of priorities.

I can see that Klopp is looking to spread goalscoring capability wider amongst any starting 11, rather than the need for a 20+ a season main striker, but our striking issues still need to be resolved anyway.
Whilst relying on a single goalscorer is risky, you do still need a forward that can be relied upon to be clinical, and the difference maker in tight games (as opposed to our main source in all games) where chances are at a premium, and unless Sturridge can stay fit, we don't have that 'reliable' source of goals in our squad either.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2017, 07:23:23 PM »
From: Liverpool and Roma continue talks over Mohamed Salah transfer

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/10919454/liverpool-and-roma-continue-talks-with-roma-over-mohamed-salah-transfer

"Liverpool are understood to have set a £35m ceiling - including add-ons - for the Egypt international, but that falls short of Roma's valuation of the player."

£28M was a fair offer that doubled Roma's money after one season.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2017, 08:55:41 PM »
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is now being linked by every media outlet with a £61M move to us:

« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 08:57:58 PM by Tes »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2017, 08:56:55 PM »
Apparently Aubameyang is a huge fan of Red Dwarf, with his favourite character being The Cat:

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2017, 11:22:06 AM »
Of all the wide attackers we're being linked with, Salah (Roma), Gelson Martins (Sporting Lisbon), Douglas Costa (Bayern) and Thomas Lemar (Monaco), it's definitely the latter I'd rather we signed.

Firstly, with his age and transfer fee (especially), we'd get far better value, with his rumoured fee to be around £10M+ less than the other three.

Secondly, he's left footed, unlike Salah, so we'd have natural balance to Mane on the other side.

Thirdly, being French, any international tournaments he may play in for his country runs in sequence with the PL season, unlike Salah, who we'd lose alongside Mane every two years to the AFCON.

Lemar also has Champions League experience which is great for one so young.

He's also the youngest, meaning Klopp has more of an opportunity to 'mould' him.

Salah - age 25 - 15 goals, 13 assists - fee circa £35M - £40M
Gelson Martins - age 22 - 6 goals, 14 assists - fee circa £40M
Douglas Costa - age 26 - 4 goals, 6 assists - fee circa £35M
Thomas Lemar - age 21 - 9 goals, 11 assists - fee circa £25M

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2017, 06:11:50 PM »
Salah is a superb signing. Stop thinking of the player you saw at Chelsea and think his numbers and performances in the last 18 months.

He is even faster than Mane - FASTER!!!!!!!!!

He will play on the left side of the attack cutting in with Mane cutting in from the other side and they can alternate sides too which would also surprise defences.

Unless we sell Sturridge we are not after another striker.

I too like Lemar but he'd cost a lot more than £25m. I also get your point that both would be going to AFCON but we'll likely get another wide player next summer and also have the likes of Kent, Woodburn, Solanke etc that could cover us.

Salah is/was Klopp's Number 2 signing this summer. Keita is his first but that ain't happening.

Shame Klopp's other targets in Keita and Van Dijk are off the table. With those 3 and a left back and Salah I'm certain we'd have won the league.

Now I have my doubts we'll reach top 4.  But Salah is an excellent signing never the less. 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2017, 10:30:21 PM »
Stop thinking of the player you saw at Chelsea and think his numbers and performances in the last 18 months.

Thanks for that. I had no idea I was thinking that.  ;D

He will play on the left side of the attack cutting in with Mane cutting in from the other side and they can alternate sides too which would also surprise defences.

The point you make about Salah 'cutting in' was more to do with my liking for Lemar, as was having no need to cover for the AFCON absence of two players, as we're hoping both Mane and AN Other would be integral parts of the team by the AFCON of 2019.

Salah is left footed, but has predominantly played on the right cutting in, which he is less likely to do if played on the left as you suggest, hence a left footer, who plays on the left - Lemar.

Mane's right footed, so for them to both cut in, they'd have to switch sides, which is more likely to suit Salah, than Mane. That issue doesn't arise with Lemar.

Kent may be off to Bournemouth, especially if their £6M offer is genuine, but I'd add Harry Wilson and Sheyi Ojo to Woodburn. Solanke's an interesting one. He could prove to be a real shrewd buy, and will possibly lessen the need for an outright striking replacement should Sturridge go.

It would be nice to think we'll add at least one wide player to help soften the absences of our two AFCON absentees (Lemar would only leave one replacement required), but I'll wait until I see more evidence before hoping that would be the case.

Salah's time at Chelsea is irrelevant. As was suggested at the time, it was more a case of Mourinho stopping us getting him, than Mourinho actually wanting him to be a part of the 1st team in the same way he would have been with us.
He was hardly likely to displace Hazard or Willian, or even Schurle in Mourinho's thinking.
On that basis his time at Chelsea is no indicator of what he might do for us.

It'll be interesting to see how he fits in alongside Mane and if there is a compromise required from either player in terms of their most effective position. 

If I'm honest I don't think we'd necessarily target another striker if we did sell Sturridge. I think by targetting goalscoring wide players, who can play centrally at times, Klopp seems to be moving away from reliance on strikers as the goal supplier.

So. Gomez. Does he stay or go out on loan?

And what is your grapevine telling you about another centre half? Shirley that has to be a priority, no matter what happens to Gomez.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2017, 10:36:51 PM »
Liverpool Look To Solve Left-back Issues With £11.4m Brazilian Defender

http://thekoptimes.com/2017/06/21/liverpool-look-to-solve-left-back-issues-with-11-4m-brazilian-defender/

"Is Zeca the right man for Liverpool?

What we need is someone who knows the Premier League very well and can step up from day one. Zeca might be talented but playing in the Premier League is a different challenge when compared to South American football and simply relying on him to turn things around in the left-back spot is a little too much to ask for.

Zeca could be a decent number two to have in the side as we aim to get a better player into the side.
"

Gael Clichy - vast PL experience. Multiple PL winner. Huge CL experience. Not likely to prove a long term barrier to Zeca getting in the 1st team. Free transfer, allowing funds to be spent elsewhere.