June 29, 2017, 02:53:47 AM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window 2017  (Read 996 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Summer Transfer Window 2017
« on: February 18, 2017, 07:47:55 PM »
Liverpool open talks to sign £20m Mario Gotze from Borussia Dortmund this summer

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/liverpool-open-talks-sign-20m-9843932

Why? He failed at Bayern, he's failing back at Dortmund. Why do we want to take the risk that his career is on a permanent downward trajectory?

We need players who are ready to take the next step into the big time, not those going in the opposite direction. 
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window 2017
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 10:13:02 PM »
We're buying up half of the youngsters in the French league:

Deal set to be agreed: Manchester United target expected to sign for Liverpool

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/589471/Liverpool-Transfer-News-Yasser-Larouci-Deal-Agreed-Expected-Man-Utd-Gossip

Liverpool and Everton want Ballo-Touré

http://kopworld.net/lfc-news/liverpool-and-everton-want-fode-ballo-toure/23515

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 10:53:10 PM »
Exclusive: Liverpool plotting a return bid for Leicester star this summer

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/769102/Liverpool-transfer-news-Ben-Chilwell-Gareth-Southgate-England-squad

If he really is that good, or potentially that good, why hasn't  he broken into a struggling team. Surely you want your best players on the pitch. Even more so if you're fighting against relegation. Good enough is old enough.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 12:03:35 PM »

Deal set to be agreed: Manchester United target expected to sign for Liverpool

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/589471/Liverpool-Transfer-News-Yasser-Larouci-Deal-Agreed-Expected-Man-Utd-Gossip

Considering the players that have come out of the Le Havre academy over the years, it would make sense for us to develop a partnership of some kind with them. We would have early knowledge of any potential talent that might be the next to be good enough to make it, and some of our youth players could experience and benefit from spending time there. Looking at the players they've produced, they must be doing something right:

Paul Pogba, Dimitri Payet and Riyad Mahrez are the most recent, and we had Le Tallec and Sinama Pongolle from their under Houllier, and both should have arguably made more of their talents.

As we're never going to be able to outspend the Manc clubs and Chelsea, even for a vital, specific player we haven't been able to source more cheaply, we need to both produce what we need, both in terms of quantity and quality, and be the best when it comes to scouting and unearthing players who can become of the standard required. The likes of Virgil van Dijk, whilst at Groningen and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, when at St Etienne, and Kevin De Bruyne, when at Genk, show they're out there. We have to be the team that gets them and develops them, and the more we do, the greater the chance of continually getting them, as we'll be seen as the club, that a young player who's ready to make the next level, can flourish and actually go up several levels and fulfill their potential fully, at.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 12:09:43 PM »
http://metro.co.uk/2017/02/20/joe-harts-biggest-flaw-exposed-as-roma-score-all-four-goals-to-england-goalkeepers-left-hand-side-6460795/

all four goals conceded, to Hart's left hand side.

and the first came from his ex City colleague - Edin Dzeko.

poor with his feet - and poor to his left?
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 02:50:40 PM »
http://metro.co.uk/2017/02/20/joe-harts-biggest-flaw-exposed-as-roma-score-all-four-goals-to-england-goalkeepers-left-hand-side-6460795/

all four goals conceded, to Hart's left hand side.

and the first came from his ex City colleague - Edin Dzeko.

poor with his feet - and poor to his left?

If Hart had been born north of the border, he'd be derided as just another 'typical Scottish goal keeper'. Instead, he's been over hyped most of his career.

I often think the sheer level of pay in the PL deludes English players into thinking they're better than they really are. That's before you even start on the subject and effect of the English media.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 08:08:17 PM »
If Hart had been born north of the border, he'd be derided as just another 'typical Scottish goal keeper'. Instead, he's been over hyped most of his career.

I often think the sheer level of pay in the PL deludes English players into thinking they're better than they really are. That's before you even start on the subject and effect of the English media.

agreed.

hyped beyond their talent.

wages and hype that make them believe their own rubbish.

and like you say, the english media worship their own lads - like Gerrard - until one does not even recognise the individual that they have given sainthood to.

Klopp will be making a mistake, if he signs Joe Hart.   IMHO

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 11:10:39 PM »
Liverpool's Daniel Sturridge eyed for summer transfer to Paris Saint-Germain with Reds willing to listen to offers

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpools-daniel-sturridge-eyed-summer-9964150

We either play a way to get the absolute best from Studge, or we get someone who can do the endless pressing, yet still get themselves in goalscoring positions, even when we win the ball back immediately.
I'd rather Sturridge be excused from chasing down all over the pitch, and instead just close the nearest man, but then get himself perfectly placed to get into the most dangerous positions to score as soon as we regain possession. Too often he's been out of position having chased too far out of position to close players down.
We preserve his energy and his body in order to give him the best chance to be the top goalscorer we know he's capable of being, if the conditions are right.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 11:12:54 PM »
Liverpool rev up transfer chase for Alex Meret, a teenage Italian keeper dubbed 'the new Dino Zoff'

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-rev-up-transfer-chase-9966134

I hope he'd be seen as another 'one for the future', rather than be seen as the 1st team's goalkeeping answer.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 08:03:07 PM »
We'll sign one 'tier 1' player and 4 or 5 'tier 2' or 'tier 3' players and this time next year when we are in the same position again we'll wonder where it all went wrong.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 09:39:58 PM »
It's all gone south, since we sacked Rafa.

Distant are the memories of conquering Europe every other year.

And we used to have a balanced team, with a spine.   

Those were the days my friend. 

Still, as Monty Python sang - Always look on the bright side of life, as you draw your terminal breath.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 09:30:13 PM »
I hope to goodness, that we sell Emre Can in the summer, and bring in a proper a top-notch defensive midfielder.

Can, despite being only in his early 20s, looks too heavy to me - and has the turning circle, the speed of movement and thought, of a bloke ten years older.

After two or three years in England, I expect far better of him.

He's better suited in the Bundesliga or Italy.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 07:58:47 PM »
I hope to goodness, that we sell Emre Can in the summer, and bring in a proper a top-notch defensive midfielder.

Can, despite being only in his early 20s, looks too heavy to me - and has the turning circle, the speed of movement and thought, of a bloke ten years older.

After two or three years in England, I expect far better of him.

He's better suited in the Bundesliga or Italy.

Sometimes I wonder if he thinks he's better than he really is.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 09:58:57 PM »
I'd rather keep Can as back up then sell him and have to buy 2 midfielders in the summer. As we haven't funds for transfers and wages for buying to midfielders this summer.

But I do agree he has been poor. But he and Milner are adequate back ups for Henderson, Lallana, Wijnaldum and another. So I'd give him next season and if not improvement sell him in 2018.

For me Can isn't a DM he is a CM and in that role isn't as good as the aforementioned 3, but as a back up is good enough. So I'd rather spend the cash on one midfielder than split it on two midfielders.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 04:45:21 PM »
Sometimes I wonder if he thinks he's better than he really is.

good point.

Tes, it's the fact that he plays for the German national team, that always makes me pause and reconsider my view of Emre Can. 

Like, how could he be a regular for Germany, one of the world's best national teams, and yet be so poor looking a player for us.

He must have something about him.  Personally, I don't see it. 

He is a central midfielder i.e. he cannot play wide.   But he is neither a defensive nor an attacking midfielder.  So what use is he to any team.  He doesn't excel in any role.