February 25, 2018, 03:41:38 PM

Author Topic: Season 2017/18  (Read 3500 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2017/18
« Reply #135 on: December 18, 2017, 02:51:45 PM »
Our last two aways have been good to see us win, win by a good margin and actually beat teams 'we should be beating'. It just makes games like Everton and WBA all the more frustrating.

The goals against Bournemouth were well worked, and it was a shame about Coutinho's free kick - it deserved to go in.

How long though before Mane starts to get restless? I think we could actually use either Mane or Salah in the central position Firmino plays, and give ourselves a chance to keep Firmino as fresh as possible, whilst giving all the front four a decent amount of game time. Plus, it could help us to mix things up a bit, and give us a slightly different dimension if we've got Salah, Mane and Coutinho in, as opposed to Firmino, Salah, Coutinho or Firmino, Mane and Coutinho. We can make 4 go into 3 in this case.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 19, 2017, 10:10:48 PM »
Against park the bus team we need more guile and so we need Lallana back in fit and firing ready to go. We only need one of Mane or Salah to start in those games imo. Then when the defences are tiring we bring on either one with 20-25 mins to go.

But Lallana is crucial against parked bus teams because of he can play in tight spaces - even in his cameo at Bournemouth he found himself in a tight space and got out of it easily. We really miss him and his guile in this team.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 23, 2017, 01:01:12 AM »
I think Kevin Keegan has more managerial talent than this guy on the bench.

Every game, it's the same script.

Even at two or three nil up, he is incapable of winning games.

He said recently, that when he cannot take Liverpool any further, then he would go.  The fat lady is clearing her throat.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 23, 2017, 04:53:11 PM »
All 3 goals were dire. The first one, Gomez only needs to attack the cross and it's headed clear.
I have no idea what Mignolet was doing on the second one.
As for the third. Can, as he's done so often, tracked back, got to Ozil as he laid the ball off, and then just stopped instead of going with him. Someone needs to tell Can that he can enter our penalty area from open play when he's tracked back - he doesn't have to just stop at the edge of the area. Gomez also could have move across and taken Ozil as he ran through after laying the ball off.

The perfect example of what tracking all the way was Trent's challenge on Jose Izquierdo away at Brighton. He tracked the player all the way and was able to make that challenge. He didn't leave Izquierdo to continue his run unchecked as Can so often does. Can needs to be played played that moment over and over until it sinks in.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 23, 2017, 07:50:43 PM »
Leon Britton expects to be in charge for Liverpool and reveals his discussions with Swansea City owners

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leon-britton-expects-charge-liverpool-14077800

So who's his assistant? Is it?

Or maybe:

Or possibly the former 'miniature of sport':

There's a prize of a Simon Mignolet unlucky glove bag for anyone who can name him.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 25, 2017, 05:40:24 PM »
Happy Christmas to everyone, and let's hope for 3 points tomorrow against Swansea.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 27, 2017, 11:00:59 AM »
Happy Xmas Tes, and to your loved ones.

aye, I had similar smiles when I saw Leon Britton's name come up in the media.   ;D

Another Tory effort at hurting Liverpool. 

And another big embarrassing defeat!

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 27, 2017, 11:51:41 AM »
The second half was OK, but we need to start games with the required level of performance.

Coutinho has definitely gone up a level this season. Shame the same can't be said of Can.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 01, 2018, 12:12:22 AM »
Happy New Year to everyone.

Another hard fought three points at Burnley would wash the Leicester three points down nicely.

It was an horrendous mistake by Matip, but well done to the team that we came back to win.

Salah's out for at least two weeks, but that could give Mane a chance to regain his true form, and Lallana should see more time too.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 02, 2018, 04:57:07 PM »
Another hard fought three points at Burnley would wash the Leicester three points down nicely.

Thanks for obliging me.  ;D

Let's hope this ability to ground out results is a lasting trait.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 03, 2018, 12:23:57 AM »
It was an horrendous mistake by Matip, but well done to the team that we came back to win.

happy new year Tes, to you and your loved ones, and everyone in here.

yes, and we made a couple of similar mess-ups versus Burnley, but on this occasion got away with them.

Klopp insists on us playing cute little short passes, even in the trickiest of scenarios.....when the obvious solution is to hoof it out of the danger area.

there is very little to be gained by being cute at the back - and a big downside.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 05, 2018, 12:46:45 PM »
happy new year Tes, to you and your loved ones, and everyone in here.

yes, and we made a couple of similar mess-ups versus Burnley, but on this occasion got away with them.

Klopp insists on us playing cute little short passes, even in the trickiest of scenarios.....when the obvious solution is to hoof it out of the danger area.

there is very little to be gained by being cute at the back - and a big downside.

Sometimes there is a case to knock it long, and maybe look to win the second ball even, if the longer ball doesn't find it's intended recipient. Whilst it may seem like giving up possession easily, it's preferable to being forced into an error on the edge of your own box.
With the pace we have up front, it's a shame we don't have a keeper with ability that Reina had, to release the ball early, able to throw it long and accurately, rather than a short pass to a central defender, who can immediately be put under pressure, and with there being no midfielder who's job it is to be the quick outlet pass for either of our centre backs, when they receive a hurried pass, or an ill judged one that puts them under immediate pressure.

If you're always going to 'play out' from the back, you need a midfielder who either comes short and takes the ball off the centre halves, or who at least puts himself in a position where a quick easy pass can be made to him by the centre half, when the centre half inevitably gets closed down quickly.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 06, 2018, 12:45:51 AM »
Another ground out win with us not at our best.

Can at fault, yet again, for not tracking Sigurdsson. I wonder if he'll make it to Juve or will he stop at the edge of the Italian coast?

That peno evens up the Henderson one.

I thought Robertson dealt ok with Bolasie, and is growing into the team.

Van Dijk. Next season's new captain.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 07, 2018, 02:04:54 PM »
Liverpool star Roberto Firmino should receive a 10-game ban if guilty - Stan Collymore

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/672142/Liverpool-Roberto-Firmino-10-game-ban-Mason-Holgate-FA-Cup

So Collymore doesn't find it remotely odd that at the exact moment Holgate reacts to what was said, the ref was right there in between the two players, had been for several seconds before Holgate's reaction, and yet the ref didn't respond in any way to what Firmino said.

Surely if Firmino uses the 'n' word in the ref's hearing, and unless the ref was stone deaf, Firmino's verbal tirade was said in the ref's hearing, then the ref would have taken immediate action.

What's the betting, that Firmino being as angry as he was, and made angry in an instant, let's rip at Holgate in his native tongue of Portuguese rather than go through the mental process of trying to translate his angry outburst into English first.

And what about the violent conduct that sent Firmino needlessly over the hoardings? Will that be punished?

I hope Holgate hasn't said something that's false to try and deflect what he had done wrong in the first place.

There were also plenty of players around the two of them at the point of Holgate's reaction, yet there is no reaction from any other player, especially Everton ones.

A false accusation should be punished with the same ban as a genuine racial incident, only it should be Holgate getting the ban. A false accusation sets back the attempt to remove genuine racist incidents.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 07, 2018, 02:56:11 PM »
A false accusation should be punished with the same ban as a genuine racial incident, only it should be Holgate getting the ban. A false accusation sets back the attempt to remove genuine racist incidents.

absolutely.

I am still unclear as to how Holgate, a kid from Doncaster, is fluent in Portuguese.  This has never been explained.   And if the alleged jibe was in english, amazingly nobody else seems to have heard the N word being used.  I was reading about Holgate being lucky a few days earlier, in a dirty tackle from behind on United's Lingard......supposedly could easily have broken a leg...only being a booking.  Someone called him a nasty piece of work - a Joey Barton junior.

On a wider scale - I have to say I was very angry at the BBC coverage of the game.

Not only was the TV producer amateurish, in his/her wrong choice of camera shots (action happening, and them still on some close-up shot of something irrelevant), but also the punditry.

Shearer and his pals now have changed their tune.  A few weeks ago at the same ground, they crucified Lovren and said it was a clear penalty - you can't put your hands on the opponent in the box, was their cry.

Now some three weeks later, Shearer and his pals are adamant that "it's a contact sport" and Holgate's arms all over the Liverpool player did not constitute a penalty.  Shearer has been called out on his hypocrisy in social media since the game.

I liked the way Klopp threw this back in the face of journalists after the game.  i.e. he said that he was sorry three weeks earlier, and was clearly wrong....and unaware that hands on an opponent was an automatic penalty.  He has learned and now tonight's was clearly a penalty too.  He beat them with their own cane.

Also, the pundits never focussed on the clear foul of Matip that led to the Everton goal.

Also they were quick, at half time, to put down Firminho, referring to spitting at Holgate.  They had to row back on that one.   And it was as much as Shearer could do, as to suggest Holgate maybe could have been booked for his dangerous push on Firminho.

Rooney also should have got his marching orders in that first half.  Again, no focus on the tackles.

Of course Murphy referring to a scouser, and his crutches, being on benefits, was the usual anti-merseyside nonsense.  I'd call it racist/regionalist.

From a national public broadcaster, I felt their coverage was well below par.

I'd replace the lot of them.  They seem to be a happy little club, far too smug and limited, to be employed as pundits.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 03:03:38 PM by the dude abides »