November 24, 2017, 06:30:50 PM

Author Topic: Season 2017/18  (Read 1513 times)

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2017/18
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2017, 12:49:09 PM »
Cheers Tes. 

One thing I forgot to mention was the substitutions made by Klopp from the 80th min.  WHY?  Ok, could understand him bringing Origi on (fresh legs), but to take off Trent....and for what?  So he could get applause from the away end?  Mental decision!  Disrupted what was already disfunctional back four, and with Gomes being introduced to create further internal havoc.

As I stated earlier, only first game of the season...BUT....Klopp's supposedly to have had a good pre-season.  Team well drilled etc etc...  Well against Watford (made them look like Barca) we looked mid-table!
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2017, 07:56:34 PM »
With no further additions at best we'll finish 6th and at worst 8th or 9th.

We are light years behind both manc clubs and spurs in particular.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2017, 09:14:47 PM »
With no further additions at best we'll finish 6th

God loves an optimist (allegedly).  ;D

Can't argue with any of that, and if I did, it would be to say it won't even be that good, but I'm not, so I won't.  ;D
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2017, 05:20:21 PM »
with Keita and Van Dijk, we could have won the CL - or at least got to the final.....but finished 5th or 6th in the league.

we may still do well in the CL - Klopp is set up for playing big teams.

but we still have to get past this German side in the qualifiers.  If I were them, i would be licking my lips at set pieces.

They could score a few against us.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2017, 07:09:57 PM »
Team for tonight:

Mignolet, Alexander-Arnold, Lovren, Matip, Moreno, Henderson, Can, Wijnaldum, Salah, Mane, Firmino.

Subs: Karius, Klavan, Gomez, Milner, Grujic, Solanke, Origi.

How does Moreno get in ahead of Milner or Robertson? Normal service was resumed against Watford, and the 'pre-season' version has been safely packed away until July 2018.

Still, I suppose for Robertson, who's travelled with the squad, the delights of Hoffenheim may still be better than the City of Culture.

What was the purpose of signing a left back, only to leave us in the same position as last season and the season before?
I thought the idea this Summer was only to buy players that improved the first eleven, or did I miss the bit where that only applied to certain positions.

It makes me wonder how much Klopp knew of Robertson, and his suitability or otherwise, and whether he's gone along with a 'recommendation' from the 'recruitment committee' clowns.

I wonder how long it will take him to realise, (if he hasn't already done so) that he's no longer working with the likes of  Michael Zorc and co (or people of their standard), and if or what he will do when the reality hits him fully.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2017, 07:17:51 PM »
Absolute class: https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/liverpool-klopp-set-pieces-moreno-138200

From now on Moreno will be known by the brighter of his split personalities - Baldrick.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2017, 07:50:34 PM »
 ;D    Baldrick

re Robertson - sounds like our data scout's choice.

tonight - hope we can withstand the Germans......first half hour could be a fight.

PS - I am in Berlin tonight.  Interested when I go down now to the bar - what locals will be saying re klopp and who they support.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2017, 09:05:32 PM »
Moreno.....Gawd help us 😩😂😂. What an absolute tit.
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2017, 10:26:27 PM »
Lovren, terrible 'tackle' for the penalty, done all ends up. Well done Mignolet with the save.

It's a shame we couldn't hold out for the clean sheet, as now they'll be more likely to go for it at Anfield, than if they had two goals to get just to draw level.

Still, we're halfway there.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2017, 10:39:45 PM »

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2017, 09:48:17 AM »
God loves an optimist (allegedly).  ;D

Can't argue with any of that, and if I did, it would be to say it won't even be that good, but I'm not, so I won't.  ;D

Light years behind in our recruitment!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2017, 03:59:48 PM »
Light years behind in our recruitment!

And different planets. We're a shambles, and it comes from those at the top, who don't have the first clue, and seemingly won't hire or take advice from those that know. How the likes of Rick Parry aren't on the board as honorary members.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2017, 02:51:59 PM »
Line up for Palace:

Mignolet, Gomez, Matip, Klavan, Robertson, Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum, Mane, Firmino, Sturridge. Subs: Karius, Lovren, Flanagan, Can, Salah, Solanke, Origi.

It's a decent bench, pretty well balanced. Interesting to see that he's rested Can (rather than Hendo) and Salah.

Firmino, Sturridge and Mane up top. How's that going to work, I wonder? Do we lose something from Firmino or Sturridge if one of them has to play in a more wide position, or are we going to see an even more fluid front three?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2017, 05:21:14 PM »
3 points and a clean sheet. Benteke didn't score against us (for once).

After last weekend's debacle and the throwing away of 2 points, I'll take today's result and keeping a clean sheet, at home, shutting out Benteke etc before Wednesday's return against Hoffenheim.

A repeat of today's score, or the clean sheet part at least sees us through, definitely in the CL and hopefully in a position now (financially, at least from FSG's perspective) to get something more done before the window shuts.

Damn, this being a optimist thing is hard work, especially where we're concerned at the moment.

The thing with FSG not accepting (at least not yet) bids for Coutinho, along with our lack of signing alternatives or allegedly not having a Plan B of any sort when not being able to sign highly priced, though extremely difficult to get players, is that I hope Klopp hasn't been put in a position where it's either keep Coutinho but with no other 'significant' signings, or if we want those difference making signings then Coutinho has to be cashed in on.

Anyone else think it's odd that whilst we've gone after Keita and Van Dijk, two players that it looked difficult to successfully negotiate for from the outset, and not switching to any other targets when it started to be pretty obvious we'd not make a breakthrough, and with no reasonable signs of anyone else being in the pipeline, that's it's a case, with FSG, that 'you don't actually need to achieve, you just need to look like you're trying', or am I just being cynical. (The optimistic bit didn't last long  ;D).

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2017, 01:12:07 PM »
Anyone else think it's odd that whilst we've gone after Keita and Van Dijk, two players that it looked difficult to successfully negotiate for from the outset, and not switching to any other targets when it started to be pretty obvious we'd not make a breakthrough, and with no reasonable signs of anyone else being in the pipeline, that's it's a case, with FSG, that 'you don't actually need to achieve, you just need to look like you're trying', or am I just being cynical. (The optimistic bit didn't last long  ;D).

Not odd at all.  I think a lot of supporters including me have had that thought over the summer transfer window.  To be seen to do something rather than actually doing something feels like a good fit for FSG.