November 20, 2017, 09:14:53 PM

Author Topic: Season 2017/18  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2017/18
« Reply #120 on: November 04, 2017, 05:32:43 PM »
I always took the penalties for the team I played for.

There is no divine right to score. 

Milner didn't miss his penalty. The keeper made a good save.

Milner would be my penalty taker.

Likewise.

Agreed.

Agreed.

Agreed.

I think Milner's earned the right to be our penalty taker if he's on the pitch. His record speaks for itself.

Milner's penalty would have been good enough 9/10 times, but like on numerous occasions in the match, the keeper pulled off an excellent save. 
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 04, 2017, 05:39:22 PM »
Milner's only on the bench, and with Hendo out injured Mignolet's been made captain.

I'd have left Wijnaldum on the bench as it's an away game and his return from injury (I know it was only a short period).

With Oxlade-Chamberlain starting, it looks like Can gets to sit. I'd trust Milner's discipline in that role ahead of Can's every time.

I think I'm going to file a missing player's report on Robertson at my nearest copshop.  ;D

LIVERPOOL: Mignolet, Gomez, Matip, Klavan, Moreno, Can, Wijnaldum, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Salah, Mane, Firmino.
Subs: Karius, Lovren, Alexander-Arnold, Milner, Grujic, Solanke, Sturridge.

I get the feeling Klopp doesn't think Gomez is ready for an extended run (of more than 1 game) at centre half.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 05, 2017, 02:18:09 PM »
Good win, of course, and a set of well made, well taken goals.

I know we're never going to shut out a team from creating any chances, but the defence still looked a concern. Ayew's early chance where everyone was ball watching again and Moreno had tucked in too far leaving Ayew clear.

For the goal, Gomez should have attacked and cleared the ball, though I'm not quite sure what he thought he was doing, and there were a couple of 'good' chances for The Hammers in the second half that really shouldn't have happened.

Our players appear to focus solely on the ball, rather than being aware of opposition players around them that they should be picking up. Looking at the position of the back four for Ayew's chance, it looked like they were all positioned nicely if zonely marking, but as Ayew wasn't in "anyone's zone" he wasn't picked up and had a clear chance. We have to pick up/mark players, especially once play gets into our defensive third of the pitch.
Defending no longer becomes about cutting out dangerous spaces or reducing clear lines of an effective pass once play is in or around our box. It's about stopping players from having chances, whether shots or headers.
Ultimately, players, not zones or spaces, score goals.
We're always open to a ball played from one side of the pitch to the other around and in our area, as players are lining up zonely, and not picking up opponents.
Both Ayew's chance and Lanzini's goal came from a ball starting from the opposite side of the pitch, and both were in the widest position, and neither player was effectively dealt with when the ball came to them, as our full backs (who were our widest placed players) had tucked in and were in a more zonal formation within the back line.

Gomez, to me, looked as though he was caught between 'going to his man' or staying in his zone, as the ball came across.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 05, 2017, 03:27:15 PM »
I think I'm going to file a missing player's report on Robertson at my nearest copshop.  ;D

;D

yes, the lad seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth and into a black hole.

I'd be pretty depressed if I couldn't compete with Moreno for the jersey.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 05, 2017, 03:37:55 PM »
the defence still looked a concern. Ayew's early chance where everyone was ball watching again and Moreno had tucked in too far leaving Ayew clear.

For the goal, Gomez should have attacked and cleared the ball

there were a couple of 'good' chances for The Hammers in the second half that really shouldn't have happened.

Our players appear to focus solely on the ball, rather than being aware of opposition players around them

Ultimately, players, not zones or spaces, score goals.

totally agree.

I saw the highlights last night - and was shouting at the screen, that we were "ball-watching" again for their goal.....and on other hammer chances.

Sometimes I really think that Klopp doesn't even have the basic skills, re coaching.  Pub teams try and eradicate ball-watching - so why should a big professional club be regularly caught doing it.

Ok, we hammered the bubble-blowers.....but this could have been something like a 4-6 scoreline. 

There is no future to such an ill-balanced setup.  Progress will never be made on the back of such a flawed strategy.

Any manager worth his salt, that goes ahead, then will sit back, which forces the opposition to commit players forward......THUS leaving gaps in behind for us to exploit and score more goals.

But Klopp doesn't do this.  He has one mode of operation - attack, attack, attack. 

But at least yesterday, he had Liverpool pinging the ball around at speed.  The slow possession based build-ups never work in his system.  But when we decide to stop masturbating over our possession and endless meaningless passes, and actually move the ball faster, we score goals.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 10, 2017, 06:24:58 PM »
off topic

awful penalty decision for the Swizz.   Beyond awful.

Come on N Ireland in the return leg!!

And come on the Republic v Denmark!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 18, 2017, 05:10:11 PM »
off topic

awful penalty decision for the Swizz.   Beyond awful.

Come on N Ireland in the return leg!!

And come on the Republic v Denmark!

Why would Michael O'Neill want to manage Scotland over Northern Ireland? If he'd been offered the Rangers' job, or a PL job, then I'd understand, but Scotland over his own homeland? Why?

Moyes should have put himself forward for the Scots' job and eased himself back into management. West Ham's a no win. The Hammers fans think they should play like Brazil, for some bizarre reason.

Hopefully Watford keep hold of Silva. He's too good for Neverton. I hope Rhino gets it full time and leads the charge straight to the second tier. It would be sweet seeing one of their 'legends' getting them relegated.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 18, 2017, 05:13:27 PM »
Imagine if Salah was a clinical finisher, how many goals he'd get for the season. Klopp seems to have identified a 'perfect fit' in Salah. Credit to him.

And another unsoiled piece of bedding. Can't really ask for too much more. Now let's put a run together until the  end of January at least.