August 22, 2018, 04:42:55 AM

Author Topic: Season 2017/18  (Read 7735 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2017/18
« Reply #150 on: January 07, 2018, 04:18:23 PM »
It was real sick bag, cringeworthy stuff at times, and Shearer's viewpoint changes according to the team or personnel involved. His ex-England team mates always get an easy ride, where as those foreigners etc.................

I'm surprised Holgate's shove on Firmino wasn't brushed over completely, after all "it's a contact sport".

Lovren and Henderson can't put their hands on a player in the box, otherwise it's a penalty, and they 'should know that'. Holgate on the other hand, can, as long as it's not overly forceful because "it's a contact sport".
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 07, 2018, 06:28:10 PM »
apart from woeful commentators (endless meaningless data and drivel), I rarely ever get pissed at coverage of a game.  But I found the BBC's coverage of this game as cringeworthy (as you refer to it).

As a public broadcaster, the BBC was well below par.  I am surprised that there has not been a lot of complaints.

I don't understand why the likes of Holgate and Rooney get an easy ride from punditry team, while Firminhio (and in many other games, Lovren) and our lads get crucified. 

I am a big believer in equality.  And I think we need to see highly paid broadcasters confronted. 

The half-time (and full-time) allegations against the Brazilian were out of order.  And the dig at the scouser on benefits was beyond contempt.  If the same was said about a foreign citizen, or a person of colour, the pundit would be finished.   I thought Murphy was better than that. 

That little punditry group are far too smug and casual.   They are far too cosy and familiar with their surroundings.  I'd break it up and bring in fresh faces.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 15, 2018, 05:36:43 PM »
Liverpool 4 City 3

fantastic result.

though we got to see the best of Liverpool and the worst of Liverpool.

if Klopp knew a damn thing about defending/balance, he would be the best in the business.

even at 4-3, in injury time, rather than send Milner and his pals into the corner to hold the ball up, he is encouraging them forward.   :o :o :o :o :o

was surprised to see Klarius start.....and as I predicted to friends here, he would make a mess-up.  Mind you, depsite SKy not mentioning it, Gomez also was woeful......again he loses diagonal balls mid-flight.  A bit of a problem if you're a defender.

But great result....9 minutes of fantastic closing down/pressing/counter attacking.  Wolrd class goals from Firminho and Salah.....and Mane's and the Ox's were darn good too!

Phil who?    Ringo has left.  The fab three march on to greater glories!

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 15, 2018, 09:14:44 PM »
Bi-polar FC.

It's the new Liverpool 4 - 3 Newcastle.

Gomez has a real problem with direction and flight of ball, and at what point in it's flight (journey) is the point at which it needs to be attacked, and make sure you are there to do it.

The Sane goal was Karius re-living Dudek's nightmare's against Forlan.

All our finishes were sublime. City's 2nd and 3rd was how it must be like as a human to play against a bar-football machine team.

Ox is finding his feet more with each game and is starting to jog memories of what he was thought to be when he first left Southampton.

Our title tilt this year has to be beating the Mancs and Chelsea to 2nd, and the Mancs in the FA Cup final.
I was going to say beating the Bitters in the final or claiming the Arsenal Cup off them, but then neither of those things are possible.  ;D

It's funny how sometimes a team loses who is regarded as their 'best' player, but then it allows others to 'grow' and fill the 'hole'. Hopefully that's going to happen for us, especially where Ox and Bobby are concerned.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 16, 2018, 12:26:09 PM »
How does Karius get to be declared no1 after the City performance?

Mignolet hasn't been consistently poor enough, yes there was there Xhaka shot, and Karius obviously much better when he's played, for there to be a change in the goalkeeping situation.

If for some reason (other than the obvious one of which keeper was signed by which manager) Klopp was thinking of making Karius no1 (because of Mignolet's error against Arsenal), then surely the City game is a huge red flag.

I'd much prefer to see Danny Ward given a shot, as he's the only unknown performer. He may turn out to be our version of Burnley's Nick Pope.

I just don't see what Karius has to offer - there's no hint of a great keeper within nearly ready to burst out and flourish.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 16, 2018, 09:56:31 PM »
I'd much prefer to see Danny Ward given a shot, as he's the only unknown performer. He may turn out to be our version of Burnley's Nick Pope.

I just don't see what Karius has to offer - there's no hint of a great keeper within nearly ready to burst out and flourish.

yes, of the two, Mignolet (for me) is much better than Klarius.

maybe Mignolet's mistake versus Arsenal, was the final straw for Klopp.   But why bite off your hand to spite your face.  Klarius is bog standard.  He is not good enough, at present, for a top club.....and may never be.   He just seems too young, too lightweight.....he never gets you out of a fix.  The City goal was so predictable.  A top keeper saves the majority of those types of shots.  But you just know that Klarius never will get you out of a hold.

I'd bring in a top keeper in the summer, and sell both Mignolet and Klarius.  And make Danny Ward my number two (if he accepts that role).

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 23, 2018, 09:46:32 PM »
Liverpool Football Club - we beat the best and lose to the worst.

What a terrible performance. We've now lost ground again on those above us.

Why is Wijnaldum on the pitch for away games - it leaves us playing with 10 men each time.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 24, 2018, 01:35:06 AM »
yes very depressing

must be a rare record - beat the runaway leaders one week, and the next game lose to the bottom club.

klopp has no tactics......play far too compressed in opposition;s half.  Thus there's no room for speed merchants, like Mane and Salah, to make hay.

and why do we feed the ball endlessly out wide to Robertson, in the winger role, when he just passes it back again to our defenders/midfield.

we need a proper two pronged attack, and space for them to move in....in games like this.

agree re Wildnajum.....Can no better.  Keita will be an upgrade.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 25, 2018, 11:39:04 PM »
We are in desperate need of creativity from midfield. Whether Coutinho played deeper, and therefore in midfield, or one of three 'up top', he was the link between the obvious midfield (Henderson, Wijnaldum, Can etc) and the attackers.

He wasn't a winger, he wasn't a true attacker in the way that Salah, Mane and Firmino (at least how Klopp has him playing) are, or was he a true midfielder. He was the blending point between midfield and 'the attack'.

With a midfield of mainly Henderson, Can and Wijnaldum, the likes of Mane, Salah, Firmino etc (Sturridge and Ings too) are going to be devoid of service, especially against teams who don't 'come out and play' like City did.

Whether he adds a creative type midfielder this month, or he chooses to wait until the Summer and revamp midfield with at least one more quality 'all round' midfielder to go alongside Keita, something needs to happen.

It could be a long second half to the season if we have any more performances like the Swansea one, and we can't get Lallana back and hopefully firing on all cylinders, soon enough.

It's a shame about Goretzka, but we need to find an addition soon, whether he's signed in this or the next window.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 27, 2018, 10:19:33 PM »
clueless

I'd like to see Klopp gone in the summer - and a proper manager brought in.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 27, 2018, 10:48:21 PM »
At least we won the second half 1-0.  :'(

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 27, 2018, 10:49:08 PM »
Hopeless. Hapless. Clueless. Trophyless. Again.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 27, 2018, 10:56:14 PM »
It's OK Klopp laying into the defenders (again), but it happens and has happened, too many times during his tenure to be down to the players and the players alone.

How is it that so called lesser teams can defend, even though their managers have been there for less time than Klopp has been with us, and with supposedly inferior players.

When there is a problem you need to sort it. After this length of time you have to wonder why the same problem is still there, and to the same degree.

Having decided that Klarius is no1, why does he need to be rested after playing just two league games? He needs time and his defenders need time to develop an understanding. Not another change after two games.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 28, 2018, 12:58:31 PM »
It's OK Klopp laying into the defenders (again), but it happens and has happened, too many times during his tenure to be down to the players and the players alone.

After this length of time you have to wonder why the same problem is still there, and to the same degree.

Having decided that Klarius is no1, why does he need to be rested after playing just two league games?

I said many times that Van Dyke was not the solution.   Our defensive woes are not primarily personnel-based.  The primary problem is the smiley-one-dimensional-clueless-arrogant-idiot that we have sitting in the dugout.

Klopp has no idea (nor interest) in balance or game management.

In my lifetime, I have never known a side which, even when two or three goals ahead, with 15 minutes to play, will often draw or lose.

The fact this happens repeatedly, is beyond embarrassing. 

If I were the owners or in the boardroom, I would be asking some very serious questions of Klopp.  Imagine what a top manager could be doing with all the resources that Klopp has been given. 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 28, 2018, 05:38:44 PM »
I said many times that Van Dyke was not the solution.   Our defensive woes are not primarily personnel-based.  The primary problem is the smiley-one-dimensional-clueless-arrogant-idiot that we have sitting in the dugout.

Klopp has no idea (nor interest) in balance or game management.

In my lifetime, I have never known a side which, even when two or three goals ahead, with 15 minutes to play, will often draw or lose.

The fact this happens repeatedly, is beyond embarrassing. 

If I were the owners or in the boardroom, I would be asking some very serious questions of Klopp.  Imagine what a top manager could be doing with all the resources that Klopp has been given.

It's systemic. The way we play and the way we train. The entire defensive side of the game, outside of 'pressing'
does not look as though it's remotely practiced at all. The players are clueless as to how to go about any of it. The simplest basics of defending are lacking.

Also, what is the function of our midfield three? What are the supposed individual strengths of any of our midfielders and what are they supposedly adding to the sum of the way we're supposed to be playing in Klopp's mind?