May 24, 2018, 09:20:44 AM

Author Topic: Season 2017/18  (Read 5628 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Season 2017/18
« Reply #165 on: January 30, 2018, 01:33:25 AM »
It's systemic. The way we play and the way we train. The entire defensive side of the game, outside of 'pressing' does not look as though it's remotely practiced at all. The players are clueless as to how to go about any of it. The simplest basics of defending are lacking.

Also, what is the function of our midfield three? What are the supposed individual strengths of any of our midfielders and what are they supposedly adding to the sum of the way we're supposed to be playing in Klopp's mind?

totally agree.

our boss is clueless.   I don't think we train much on the defensive side of things.

jumpers for goalposts - everybody push forward, is the mantra......outscore the opposition!

Little wonder he was caught on at Dortmund after 2 or 3 years.   I suspect he  must have inherited a great defence at Dortmund.   

And given that we hit a bad spell every mid season (and have many injuries), I suspect our lads are knackered by December each season.   Is it any coincidence that we have gone out of the FA Cup each season at the 4th round?
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 30, 2018, 01:05:34 PM »
And given that we hit a bad spell every mid season (and have many injuries), I suspect our lads are knackered by December each season.   Is it any coincidence that we have gone out of the FA Cup each season at the 4th round?

It's as though we simply run out of steam by mid-January. To do what Klopp asks of the players, we need a much bigger squad in order to rotate and have 11 'fresh' players to start each game throughout the entire season.

He doesn't seem to have the squad 'paced' to last an entire season.

If he doesn't want, or we can't afford a squad 'big enough', then you have to utilise what you do have in a way that allows them 'to last' an entire season.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 30, 2018, 11:40:49 PM »
A solid win. I'll take them all day against lower placed teams. It's what we should have done against Swansea and WBA.

Save the spectacular for the teams in the top7 or 8, and be solid and professional against the rest.

I hope the sheer fact that we won doesn't go to any player's head. That was the minimum requirement. No more. No less.

Let's hope Can manages to string another decent (at least, preferably better) performance together for Sunday's visit of Spurs - that will be a much bigger test.

I'm not interested in us trying to hammer Spurs in some misplaced revenge mission. I'll settle for a solid display, a clean sheet, Kane and Eriksen kept quiet and a couple of goals and build some momentum again ahead of the Porto games.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 03, 2018, 09:47:35 AM »
Let's hope Can manages to string another decent (at least, preferably better) performance together for Sunday's visit of Spurs - that will be a much bigger test.

on the topic of Can - and this applies to any player who runs his contract down. 

From today's papers.

José Mourinho says he has told Marouane Fellaini to “shut up” and accept Manchester United’s contract offer before the seriousness of the midfielder’s knee injury is diagnosed.

The manager was smiling as he recounted the conversation but behind his jokingly delivered line to Fellaini appeared to lie a serious point. Fellaini’s deal ends on 1 July and the 30-year-old wants a sizeable increase on a salary thought to be around £120,000 a week. He suffered a knee problem that limited him to seven minutes as a substitute in Wednesday’s 2-0 defeat away to Tottenham.

“I told him yesterday: ‘Sign the contract and shut up,’” said Mourinho. “I told him: ‘Don’t gamble too much. Sign the contract before you know the extent of the injury.’

I have always felt that players are playing Russian Roulette when running contracts down.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 04, 2018, 10:52:05 PM »
Another draw that feels like a defeat, especially after twice being ahead.

That's both North London rivals for the top four that we should have put some more daylight between.

The flip side (hopefully) being only 2 points ahead of Spurs (and not the 5 we could have been after today), and therefore be able to be overtaken with just one slip, is that minds will remain focused.

I think the City win showed how this squad can lose focus and concentration, and now we're out of the FA Cup, they need to do everything possible to get second. The FA Cup and top four would have been reasonable, all things considered, but now fourth, or even third, isn't good enough with no trophy likely to arrive at Anfield again this season - does anyone honestly think we can win the European Cup? 

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 05, 2018, 03:03:35 PM »
I think we can go far in Europe.   Against top teams, it's a right old scrap....and anybodys' game.

Indeed, if the football authorities can be convinced to change games to last only 45 minutes - and/or allow more substitutes to be used, we can win everything every year.   8)

We bossed the first half - and Spurs bossed the second.  Same old story, we ran out of puff.

Really disappointed about the diving.  One of their lads got booked.  And the two penalties given, were not only offside, but both were simulations.  IMHO

The linesman and ref had poor games.   I thought we were lucky to even be given a kick-off.  First half, some of their tackles were crazy....but not a card in sight.  Poor day at the office for the officials.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 18, 2018, 01:52:31 PM »
I think we can go far in Europe.   

Especially if Porto are our opposition.  ;D

A good win, but they did walk through our midfield a little too easy early on.

Great to see Mane back amongst the goals.

I just hope our players don't react to this win like they did to the Man City one.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 25, 2018, 05:28:34 PM »
clueless

I'd like to see Klopp gone in the summer - and a proper manager brought in.

Behave...........

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 26, 2018, 07:39:52 PM »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 26, 2018, 07:45:55 PM »
Considering the carnage in the aftermath of the City win, the professional performance against West Ham, after the hype fuelling win in Porto, hopefully shows a new maturity amongst the squad.

The Porto win was great but we have to ensure we finish the tie properly (no careless 3-3s etc), and then make it count against who ever we draw next.

This is where we seem to have constantly fallen down over the last few years, by not making a notable result the beginning of sustained progress.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 02, 2018, 07:29:05 PM »
The tie is already finished. We should rest the front 3 for the mancs the following weekend.

I agree we need to remain professional but it would be foolish imo to start our best XI.

Indeed top 4 is still far from guaranteed so we need to keep the momentum going. Everyone is fit and focused though so I am confident.

I think this weekend could be huge if we beat newcastle and city beat chelsea then the gap will be 7 points. Meaning there needs to be a 3 game swing for Chelsea to overcome us (2 if they beat us 2nd last game of the season). But if Rafa does us a job on us and Chelsea nick a result then it could stay a 4 or even just 1 point gap, meaning they only need a one game swing and they have us at the bridge.

Personally I think us and spurs will join both manc clubs in the top 4. I think we are the better team than Chelsea and will probably finish 3rd or 4th.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 05, 2018, 12:10:34 AM »
The tie is already finished. We should rest the front 3 for the mancs the following weekend.

I agree we need to remain professional but it would be foolish imo to start our best XI.

Indeed top 4 is still far from guaranteed so we need to keep the momentum going. Everyone is fit and focused though so I am confident.

I think this weekend could be huge if we beat newcastle and city beat chelsea then the gap will be 7 points. Meaning there needs to be a 3 game swing for Chelsea to overcome us (2 if they beat us 2nd last game of the season). But if Rafa does us a job on us and Chelsea nick a result then it could stay a 4 or even just 1 point gap, meaning they only need a one game swing and they have us at the bridge.

Personally I think us and spurs will join both manc clubs in the top 4. I think we are the better team than Chelsea and will probably finish 3rd or 4th.

Both the West Ham game and the Newcastle one have shown a new maturity to the side. Firstly, with West Ham, we didn't let the great result against Porto affect us like the Swansea and WBA games after we beat City, and against Newcastle, we remained patient, moved the ball swiftly and got a result against a team that came to defend and be hard to break down.

Hats off to Karius. He's showed a marked improvement recently. Long may it continue.

I agree with your Top Four, unless one of us 3 (excluding City) suddenly implode, and an equally sized change happens at Chelsea.

The Manc game is bigger than usual. Steal a win, and 2nd is in our own hands.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 12, 2018, 01:14:36 PM »
Tactically frustrating, yet again. Trent, young as he is, has been found wanting, out of position, on numerous times this season, and yet he still keeps making the same mistakes. What work is being done on the training ground to eliminate these mistakes?

Why were we set up the way we were to deal with Lukaku? Either we play Van Dijk up against him, and have Matip as the 'spare man', or if we're going to leave Van Dijk spare, then Klavan has to have the job of man marking Lukaku, as he out of the three (him, Lovren and Matip) is less likely to get man handled in the way Lovren was, and does get.

We were far too open first half and especially for the goals. Simple long balls, knock-ons etc. Why are we still struggling with them? When Lukaku drops deeper for a flick on, if we have Can (the strongest in the air of the midfielders) drop in in front of Lukaku, with Lovren in behind, it makes it harder for Lukaku to have a clear sight of the flight of balls knocked forward in the air.

With the second goal, Trent has to stay out wide on his man, with Can dropping into the space that Trent had got sucked into. Trent needs to show Rashford down the outside, rather than let him cut in, and if he fails to do that, then Can is there in the space that either Rashford will make for, or if he lays the ball off inside, that space is the area the recipient of the lay off will make for.

Whilst it would have been nice to win, we needed to make sure that the Mancs didn't extend their points lead over us. That was the prime objective on Saturday.

Mourinho understands that sometimes you have to stiffle the game, sometimes settling for avoiding defeat, as part of the bigger picture, and how any individual game fits into it. Yet again, a Mourinho team playing against us, looks far better drilled, more practised, more accomplished, and we look naive.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 18, 2018, 11:21:48 PM »
A comfortable enough win, but I'm still not convinced by us defensively. It feel more by luck than design that we kept a clean sheet.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 20, 2018, 07:48:32 PM »
Indeed I share that feeling. Hopefully this season will develop TAA and Gomez further and there is Clyne to come.

Unless one of Lovren or Matip leaves though I doubt we'll be targeting a centre back. I think we'll be concentrating on a Mignolet replacement and a No.6 for the midfield. Plus a Coutinho replacement.