December 19, 2018, 02:21:13 AM

Author Topic: Champions League 2017/18  (Read 2071 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Champions League 2017/18
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2017, 11:29:50 AM »
why does klopp rotate his keepers for such big games.  Madness.  A good keeper saves that free kick.

The ball was even curving back in towards him, too. His reaction was in suspended animation time. It was a good height, not particular powerful, it should have been a bread and butter save.

Individually and collectively, the back five has so much chopping and changing, it adds further to what are already inherent problems.

Where Karius is concerned, it's almost like Klopp is trying to justify his signing, and continued presence at the club. It's possibly the one position where the goalkeeper should pick himself automatically.
If he's good enough, consistent enough, his performances make him no1 until those qualifiers change standard.

Neither keeper necessarily gains us points, as they're not good enough to do that, but failing that, you can't afford to have them costing points. Karius, cost us 2 points, as did the attackers.

Sturridge, like any goalscorer, needs a run of games, it's just the nature of the thing. That volleyed attempt get's 'steered' into the corner if he's 'got his eye in' during a run of games.

Firmino's and Salah's headers were arguably met too well. Without such a firm, central connection on the middle of the forehead, the angle changes and the ball doesn't go straight, and straight at the keeper.

We're making hard work of this. The 2 games against Maribor have to yield 6 points, and the home game against Spartak has to be a win. That's the bare minimum, and then we'll probably require a win in Sevilla to win the group, and avoid a group winner in the first knockout round.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 07:14:21 PM »
Tonight's line-up:

Karius; Alexander-Arnold, Matip, Lovren, Moreno; Milner, Can, Wijnaldum; Salah, Firmino, Coutinho. Subs: Mignolet, Gomez, Klavan, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Solanke, Sturridge.

I'd have given Oxlade-Chamberlain the nod ahead of Wijnaldum, seeing as it's away from L4, and Wijnaldum has been as much use as a chocolate fireguard away from home.

Why give Gomez a 'rest' and not Moreno? Surely Robertson deserves a chance, considering how he's performed when given time and his recent performances for Scotland. It might also keep Moreno's mind focused.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2017, 11:35:30 PM »
I know the opposition's not exactly the best, but a good win is a good win.

We've now given ourselves an advantage over Spartak, with the home tie still to come, enhanced our goal difference and we're a point ahead of Sevilla.

Two clean sheets in a row. Wow.

Good to see Oxlade-Chamberlain open his account and Firmino finding the back of the net finally.

Hopefully we can now kick start our season.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2017, 04:20:58 PM »
I'd like to see Oxlade-Chamberlain given a full game on Wednesday. Possibly keep Wijnaldum in seeing as it's a home game and see if he can add to his Huddersfield goal.

So then who out of Milner, Grujic, Hendo and Can (in order of preference). I'd like to see what Grujic could do especially as neither Hendo and especially Can have exactly put many trees in danger so far this season. Then again, the same can also be said of Wijnaldum.

Surely Robertson gets a full game if only to give our first choice ( :'() left back a rest, seeing as it looks like it's his spot to lose this season and Klopp needs to pace players with the manic December/January schedule not that far off.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2017, 01:50:34 PM »
Sevilla 3 - Liverpool 3

Again Liverpool snatch a draw/defeat from the jaws of victory. We did the same in the home leg, which we somehow managed to also throw away and draw (2-2).  By this point, we should be home and hosed.  We should be sitting on top of the group, qualified as the top team. 

I am actually embarrassed for Klopp.  His ineptness at defending 2 or 3 goal leads is now becoming legendary.

Moreno is merely a symptom.  The root of the problem is Klopp and his ill-balanced sides and limited ability to game manage.  We have such a soft under-belly.  At the first signs of the opposition getting among us, it is like panic stations among a Dad's Army platoon.  I wouldn't want to be with this platoon, when the chips are down.

Our first line of defence is our attack.  Why in the second half, when we are under the cosh, is Firmino flicking balls around, when they should be sticking (and taking some pressure off our defence).   

Klopp is just not good enough.  A top manager learns and adapts to his environment. 

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2017, 06:05:54 PM »

we need a left-back for the restart.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2017, 09:50:55 PM »
Sevilla 3 - Liverpool 3

Again Liverpool snatch a draw/defeat from the jaws of victory. We did the same in the home leg, which we somehow managed to also throw away and draw (2-2).  By this point, we should be home and hosed.  We should be sitting on top of the group, qualified as the top team. 

I am actually embarrassed for Klopp.  His ineptness at defending 2 or 3 goal leads is now becoming legendary.

Moreno is merely a symptom.  The root of the problem is Klopp and his ill-balanced sides and limited ability to game manage.  We have such a soft under-belly.  At the first signs of the opposition getting among us, it is like panic stations among a Dad's Army platoon.  I wouldn't want to be with this platoon, when the chips are down.

Our first line of defence is our attack.  Why in the second half, when we are under the cosh, is Firmino flicking balls around, when they should be sticking (and taking some pressure off our defence).   

Klopp is just not good enough.  A top manager learns and adapts to his environment.

It seems like we learned nothing from the home match against them. Or the UEFA Cup final. This is the third game in which they've fallen behind yet have not lost once.
It's as though the home game never happened.

We have zero leaders on the pitch. Not a single one, that even remotely, by the biggest stretch of imagination in the history of the world, can be thought of in that way. Our players seem totally empty headed when it comes to the side of the game that can't be classed as 'outright attacking'.
They can't even keep possession in order to defend. If it's not overtly attacking then they either don't want to know or just don't know. How have these players been around the game of football for the length of time they must have been, and been around it at the level they have been, without picking up, even by accident, any aspect of the game that could be remotely labelled as defending.

Surely they didn't think they'd won the game at half time. Surely they remember that they (we've) been on the end of two Sevilla come backs in the last two seasons.

The more I try and think about it, the less I can get my head around how it can keep happening. How can a collection of human beings be so oblivious to learning and taking something from experiences they go through?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2017, 11:20:04 PM »
We find out who we play on Monday. The draw is at 11am.

The teams we could be drawn against are: Basel, Bayern Munich, Juventus, Shakhtar Donetsk, Porto or Real Madrid.

Basel and Porto are very strong at home, despite appearing as one of the weaker options, and who wants to go to the Ukrainian war zone in the middle of Winter.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2018, 11:20:04 PM »
I'm glad we've got City. There shouldn't be any complacency and we know exactly what we're up against.

I'm not bothered that we're at home in the first leg either. As long as City don't score at Anfield, then I'm not too bothered about the score. Whilst going there with a lead would be handy, the second leg basically becomes a one off game, and whilst they have an advantage of being at home, that brings with it it's own pressure and expectation. Meanwhile, we have an advantage in that we can win 1-1, 2-2 etc.
If we go to the Etihad with City having not scored at Anfield, we know City will have to come at us which may give us a chance of knicking something on the break, and if we can pinch an away goal then the game will have to open right up.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2018, 09:14:16 PM »
Klopp's going to have to come up wit a plan to make sure City can't target Trent, and leave him isolated against Sane, or even Sterling.

Right now I'd settle for 0-0, and then try and get a score draw at the Etihad.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2018, 02:28:20 PM »
Still can't believe we beat City in both legs.

I'm not really fussed who we get in the draw as all 3 teams will be tough. If we get to the final I'd prefer Bayern there, simply because we've never played them in the European Cup final before.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2018, 07:44:40 PM »
F.R.U.S.T.R.A.T.I.N.G