November 22, 2017, 05:11:36 AM

Author Topic: January Transfer Window 2018  (Read 214 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
January Transfer Window 2018
« on: September 06, 2017, 02:15:29 PM »
Liverpool's contract talks with Emre Can show the ongoing power struggle between players and clubs - there is more on the line for Jurgen Klopp than just the midfielder's Anfield future

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4857426/Liverpool-s-Emre-talks-player-v-club-power-battle.html

"With only 10 months left on his deal the sticking point is not over money, but a release clause. "

Offer him a lower salary with a £50M clause in, or a higher salary with a £75M clause.

The player gets to choose - easier exit and lower income, or harder exit but higher income.

The player has some sort of window to leave, whilst the club protects it's investment made in the player.

Apparently he's only on something like £35K a week (not sure how true that is, only what I've read), so £75K and a £50M clause, or £100K with a £75M clause, meaning if we're to get less for him, he gets less in wages, or if we're to get more for him, he gets more in wages.
He shares in our increased fee, likewise, he receives less if we're to have to receive less.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: January Transfer Window 2018
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 05:50:24 PM »
Also, any release clause shouldn't kick in until Summer 2019, meaning we know we have him for this and next season, and it lapses on 1st August 2019, so that we would have time to replace him during the Summer of 2019.

He could have one which could be triggered next Summer, but at 50% higher. Also, the clauses can only be triggered in Summer windows, not January ones.

Clauses can work both ways.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 07:12:32 PM »
We seem to be heavily linked with Stefan De Vrij at the moment, either a January move, or potentially a free transfer next Summer.

Why? We already have enough problems with the amount of games Matip and Lovren miss through injury, and De Vrij's injury record doesn't read like the improvement we need:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/stefan-de-vrij/verletzungen/spieler/111196

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 10:09:55 PM »
we need Rafa Benitez.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 12:13:32 PM »
Klopp considers Sturridge sale after setting striker ultimatum

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/klopp-considers-sturridge-sale-after-setting-striker-ultimatum

I doubt this would be true, but strikers, probably more than any other player, need games to develop and keep their rhythm. Sturridge not getting that, just getting the odd start and a few minutes from the bench here and there, is not helping him, and are we really set up to get the best out of him. Conversely, is his style suited to ours anymore?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 10:08:37 PM »
We seem to be heavily linked with Stefan De Vrij at the moment, either a January move, or potentially a free transfer next Summer.

Why? We already have enough problems with the amount of games Matip and Lovren miss through injury, and De Vrij's injury record doesn't read like the improvement we need:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/stefan-de-vrij/verletzungen/spieler/111196

Liverpool and Juventus target scores first goal of the season to give Lazio the lead

http://www.calciomercato.com/en/news/liverpool-and-juventus-target-scores-first-goal-of-the-season-to-52911

"Lazio, however, are now 3-1 down. De Vrij did non start the second half due to an injury.;D  ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 03:36:53 PM »
From: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool-target-another-two-defenders-while-tottenham-could-land-real-madrid-man-in-swap-deal-transfer-rumours-36165953.html

"Arsenal are interested in Le Havre defender HAROLD MOUKOUDI - but face competition from Nice, Bordeaux and Red Bull Leipzig. It's reported that the Gunners have their eye on the 19-year-old, seen as an up-and-coming star in the French youth football."

Considering that Nice, and even more so, Red Bull Leipzig have a top class record of unearthing real quality players for not lot of money, then maybe we should be in on this piece of action. I'd trust any number of clubs' scouting before I'd place any faith in our's.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 12:35:57 PM »
I see in today's media that Countinhio still wants to leave for Barca.....and that he apparently speaks regularly with Barca people. 

Not surprised.    He has looked different since the summer.  His heart doesn't seem at Liverpool.

But hey - 200 million and he's yours - tis my attitude. 
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 07:11:38 PM »
I see in today's media that Countinho still wants to leave for Barca.....and that he apparently speaks regularly with Barca people. 

Not surprised.    He has looked different since the summer.  His heart doesn't seem at Liverpool.

But hey - 200 million and he's yours - tis my attitude.

The Catalans won't get their freedom from Spain, so they're supposedly still on the hunt for Coutinho, though this is all according to the Catalan press. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go though, as there seems to be a general malaise setting in again at the club.
The problems aren't just on the pitch or in the manager's office. The whole setup is wrong. Until that changes, and we all know those I'm referring to, then all we will ever do is splutter along.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 11:34:46 AM »
this is all according to the Catalan press. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go though, as there seems to be a general malaise setting in again at the club.
The problems aren't just on the pitch or in the manager's office. The whole setup is wrong. Until that changes, and we all know those I'm referring to, then all we will ever do is splutter along.

good point - the media there were spinning yarns all summer.  It' hard to know when to believe them.

yes....our entire setup is wrong.  Klopp and balance are like oil and water.

breaks my heart that Rafa is not at Anfield.  I am still very annoyed at those who sacked him.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 05:22:44 PM »
Whether one of them is Van Dijk, or not, we need to target two centre halves, and a midfielder than is capable of giving proper protection to the two centre halves.

To be saying we need to target two centre halves and a defensively capable midfielder in the January transfer window, just goes to show what a dog's breakfast we made of the Summer window.

It's not just personnel though, it's structural aspects of the way we play that need altering too.

The structural part can be done without a single signing. You can't have both fullbacks going forward, and the midfield two pushing on also, basically leaving the centre halves on their own at the point at which possession changes hands. Surely there's a defensively savvy midfielder that can play a ten/fifteen yard pass to a team mate successfully, out there somewhere to buy.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2017, 05:21:21 PM »
Liverpool news: Jurgen Klopp must NOT be trusted to buy players in January - Steve Nicol

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/871032/Liverpool-news-Jurgen-Klopp-transfer-gossip

So Mr Nicol, who do you suggest? Michael Edwards? Barry Hunter? Dave Fallows? Aka the transfer committee, minus of course, Brendan and 'Harley' Ayre.

Herein lies the crux of the problem we've been talking about since Rodgers' second Summer.

The entire recruitment process, and by extension, whoever is therefore involved, is simply not fit for purpose. In fact our defence is more fit for it's supposed purpose.

Our recruitment has been poor by and large across the last two managers with the common thread being Edwards, Fallows and Hunter.

Dortmund's recruitment has been praised during the Klopp era, continued with Tuchul and has hardly been lambasted now Peter Bosz is at the helm. The common thread across all that time - Michael Zorc.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2017, 07:53:32 PM »
Surely after today's performance, and his season so far, Van Dijk's fee is now no more that £35M/£40M.  ;D

Do we splurge £60M/£70M (supposedly) on Van Dijk, or do we look to buy a 'partnership' for that money?

It's going to be harder in January getting quality, but if there is an option available that would upgrade on Klavan (arguably Lovren also as there's little to choose between them so far this season), do we do that?
Strengthening the squad is exactly that, even if it's an upgrade on our third best centre half - I'm not placing Gomez in any centre half pecking order as he hasn't really been seen there for us, and his performance for England in 'a three' is arguably different to what would be required in a traditional centre back 'partnership', so I'm not considering that.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 06:14:29 PM »
We won't sign anyone in January and Ings and Sturridge will both leave. One on loan and one permanently.

We may sign an under 18 player...........but no first team players. Also City will sign Van Dijk.