January 22, 2018, 06:22:58 PM

Author Topic: January Transfer Window 2018  (Read 701 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: January Transfer Window 2018
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2018, 12:26:02 AM »
agreed.

the big money is in england.   There is only sun, and a slower pace of league in Italy (which may suit his lazy slow to football).

I would not be surprised if he ends up signing a new contract with Liverpool.  It just feels like he is playing the field.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2018, 12:39:10 AM »
Coutinho

Guillam Balague writes on Twitter: “About Coutinho. Barcelona will soon make an offer of €110+40.
“Chairman Bartomeu feels in debt to him for how hard he's trying to go to FCB.
“Their top players want him.
“LFC have changed their tone but have not put price to him.
“They will act when offer arrives. Which it will.”

I always respect Ballague and his sources.  Sounds like 150 might be enough.....tho I imagine depends upon how much up front and how much is addons. 

I'd suggest 150 upfront and no addons.  The guy is not 19 years old - he is bloddy mid-20s and a well-established regular in Brazil's front line.
To be honest, I can't figure why Coutinho leaving mid-season can be any good for the player, Liverpool or Barca.  He can have a go at the Champions League with Liverpool....and is cup-tied for Barca.  And Barca lead the Liga by some distance.  Leaving now, is a lose lose for the lad, and Liverpool.
I see mutterings too, of us trying to bring forward Keita's arrival from Leipzig, to January.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2018, 12:22:54 PM »
Coutinho

Guillam Balague writes on Twitter: “About Coutinho. Barcelona will soon make an offer of €110+40.
“Chairman Bartomeu feels in debt to him for how hard he's trying to go to FCB.
“Their top players want him.
“LFC have changed their tone but have not put price to him.
“They will act when offer arrives. Which it will.”

I always respect Ballague and his sources.  Sounds like 150 might be enough.....tho I imagine depends upon how much up front and how much is addons. 

I'd suggest 150 upfront and no addons.  The guy is not 19 years old - he is bloddy mid-20s and a well-established regular in Brazil's front line.
To be honest, I can't figure why Coutinho leaving mid-season can be any good for the player, Liverpool or Barca.  He can have a go at the Champions League with Liverpool....and is cup-tied for Barca.  And Barca lead the Liga by some distance.  Leaving now, is a lose lose for the lad, and Liverpool.
I see mutterings too, of us trying to bring forward Keita's arrival from Leipzig, to January.

I think Coutinho is worried that if he doesn't move in this window then his ship will have sailed come the Summer. From a footballing perspective, he has no chance of playing for Barca in the CL, so whilst they have more chance of winning it than us, it would be an empty victory for Coutinho, where as with us, he'd have the whole experience, medal etc.
Also, he's a guaranteed starter, bang in form and will walk into Brazil's starting eleven at the World Cup in the Summer, if he stays with us. Can the same be said if he moves to Barca?

I can understand him, especially as a South American player, wanting to play for Barca, and who wouldn't want a chance to play with Messi. As Messi is now 30, how long has he got left at the peak of his powers? 
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2018, 12:35:31 PM »
Apparently Can has signed a 5 year deal, worth £85k a week, with Juve.

I wonder if there's a release clause in that contract. Doubtful.

I'm sure we would have been fine paying him £85k, especially as Lovren is supposedly on £100k.

However, the fact he wants/wanted a release clause in our contract, hardly shows a player committed to us for the long term.

He should have been sold in Summer 2016, or last Summer. He's hardly an indispensable part of the team, and the fact that clubs are only now interested in him on a free, not even with just a year on his contract, hardly marks him out as an 'important' player for whichever team he goes to.

Can on a free, to add to the squad would be an appealing prospect for us. Would we really pay £50M to buy him? It's doubtful.

To me he's no great loss. For every great game he plays for us, there's 4 or 5 mediocre ones.

I'd rather see him left out now and play someone else. Grujic maybe. Give the shirt to players who will be here into the future. Develop the team with players that can be a part of it next season, and beyond.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2018, 12:54:56 PM »
agreed.

the big money is in england.   There is only sun, and a slower pace of league in Italy (which may suit his lazy slow to football).

I would not be surprised if he ends up signing a new contract with Liverpool.  It just feels like he is playing the field.

Can would be far better suited to Italian football. Everything about him, and everything he seems to do, just appears to be in slow motion.
Slow over the ground with or without the ball, quits tracking back once he reaches the edge of the area, slow decision making, and multiple touches.

He's a 'betwixt and between' sort of midfielder. Not one particular type or another, and not a particularly accomplished 'all round' midfielder either. We have too many of them as it is.   

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2018, 04:31:08 PM »
We need to make a stand against the ridiculous add-on disease that has now infected transfers.

I could understand 10% of a fee, especially if it was inflated to begin with, being payable only under certain conditions.

The likes of Barcelona are now taking the p!ss where add-ons are concerned.

If they want to try and take our best player with a deal that includes add-ons then the 'base' fee needs to be at least £125M, with add-ons being such as a further £5M each time Barca wins the league, £10M if they win the CL, £5M once Coutinho has earned 10 more Brazilian caps, £5M for every 20 goals he scores for Barca, and a percentage of any fee Barca sell him for - not a percentage of anything over what they bought him from us for, but, for example, 15% of any future fee, so if he was sold for £25M, we would receive £3.75M. 

After all, they got the full fee for Neymar, and don't have to wait for add-ons or installments.

We also need to demand at least 2/3 of the 'base' fee up front, now, with the other 1/3 payable in 12 months time, with add-ons payable within 90 days.

They need to be made to put their cheque book where their mouth is.

I also think it's about time we started putting huge buyout clauses in certain players' contracts. For example Mane and Salah would be good examples. You'd probably not need to do the same for the likes of Klavan or Wijnaldum etc.
If we're forced to agree a sell-on clause with a team we buy from, then it would be a good idea also to put a buy-out fee, or at least a fee 'floor', so we could protect ourselves from losing out on too much in a future sale. Of course we can decide to sell for less than the 'floor' if it was in our interest to 'offload' the player.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2018, 04:44:50 PM »
I'd much rather see us sign Draxler than Lemar, at this point in their careers.

Mahrez might make more sense too than Lemar, being Premier League proven and starting to look like getting back to his best, where as Lemar's form has dropped right off. I'm not saying he's a one season wonder, and the loss of a number of class players from Monaco can't have helped him, but his not stepped up as you'd expect this season.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2018, 12:29:55 PM »
So he's gone. Huge positive nett spend window for FSG. Everyone's happy. Everyone that counts in modern football, that is.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2018, 01:12:47 PM »
I hope we don't make the mistake of trying to replace Coutinho with a supposed 'like for like' player.

Removing the need for so many goals to be scored, would be a help.

Getting both Salah and Mane to get their heads up, and square the ball at times to a better placed team mate, would see goals and assists increase.

The last three games, where we've only conceded the single goal, shows the real way forward. We've scored plenty of twos and threes with Coutinho in the team, yet failed to win a lot of those games.

We need to bring in more creativity from midfield - Can, Hendo, Wijnaldum, the real midfield offers insufficient creativity. We need Lallana back up to speed asap.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2018, 03:13:33 PM »
poor form losing him in January.  I think that says something about the player and his loyalties.

Big money move.   I hope we use it wisely - and not be a dummy like when we sold Torres for big money, and burnt our dosh on Andy Bloddy Carroll.

I imagine letting Phil go in this window, must mean we have someone immediately lined up to come in.   Though knowing Klopp... if needs be, he will wait for his target to become available, rather than rushing a sale for a lesser player.

IMHO Barca have bought the wrong red.  Salah is a much better player IMHO.  I'd be worried that Madrid come in for him this summer or next.

Just imagine how good Salah will be at Anfield once he gets settled in!!!   Traditionally, a player peaks after two or three years in the premiership.

I'd like us to bring in Jasper Schmeical from Leicester.  Very good keeper, knows the league, strong reassuring presence at the back, good distribution, great stopper.   I also like his colleague Mahrez.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 03:16:24 PM by the dude abides »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2018, 04:08:07 PM »
poor form losing him in January.  I think that says something about the player and his loyalties.

Big money move.   I hope we use it wisely - and not be a dummy like when we sold Torres for big money, and burnt our dosh on Andy Bloddy Carroll.

I imagine letting Phil go in this window, must mean we have someone immediately lined up to come in.   Though knowing Klopp... if needs be, he will wait for his target to become available, rather than rushing a sale for a lesser player.

IMHO Barca have bought the wrong red.  Salah is a much better player IMHO.  I'd be worried that Madrid come in for him this summer or next.

Just imagine how good Salah will be at Anfield once he gets settled in!!!   Traditionally, a player peaks after two or three years in the premiership.

I'd like us to bring in Jasper Schmeical from Leicester.  Very good keeper, knows the league, strong reassuring presence at the back, good distribution, great stopper.   I also like his colleague Mahrez.

I'd be more surprised to see us 'replace' Coutinho in this window. The whole approach from us seemed different to the Summer, and it wouldn't surprise me if there was an agreement in the Summer that if Barca offer a better deal in January, which is to our liking, then we'd let him go.

I think Klopp understands that you don't necessarily replace 'certain' players, you replace or improve on 'their effect'. A tighter defence lessens the need for Coutinho's goals and assists to be replaced in order to win matches etc.

Only when Coutinho didn't play in the front three does our midfield have real 'creativity', especially if Lallana is missing. Even then, it's been more a front four rather than Coutinho really playing in midfield.

Improving the pace, dynamism and 'real' creativity (Lallana aside) of our midfield (Can, Hendo, Wijnaldum) would help hugely.
Mane now gets the chance to play most games and rediscover his top form, and as Lallana's fitness and match touch comes back, we have two things to help fill the gap in a slightly different way.
Oxlade-Chamberlain is gradually have more impact, and as that develops, it will bring something additional.

Coutinho's a pretty unique player, hence Barca wanting him above others. We can adapt and develop, rather than try to replicate. After all, how many trophies did the 'collective' win with Coutinho in it?

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2018, 07:15:35 PM »
I think Klopp understands that you don't necessarily replace 'certain' players, you replace or improve on 'their effect'.

Only when Coutinho didn't play in the front three does our midfield have real 'creativity', especially if Lallana is missing. Even then, it's been more a front four rather than Coutinho really playing in midfield.

Improving the pace, dynamism and 'real' creativity (Lallana aside) of our midfield (Can, Hendo, Wijnaldum) would help hugely.

Mane now gets the chance to play most games and rediscover his top form, and as Lallana's fitness and match touch comes back, we have two things to help fill the gap in a slightly different way.
Oxlade-Chamberlain is gradually have more impact, and as that develops, it will bring something additional.

Coutinho's a pretty unique player, hence Barca wanting him above others. We can adapt and develop, rather than try to replicate. After all, how many trophies did the 'collective' win with Coutinho in it?

that final point, is something that I have been thinking about too.

How often has Phil ever even looked like leading us to a league title, or a cup.

Suarez was the guy who nearly hauled us to the title a few years back.  But Phil has never been in that class.

I will always remember him scoring a great dinked goal at Old Trafford the other season, to put the UEFA Cup two-legged tie to bed just before half time.  That will be my favourite moment of Phil's......as well as his great free-kicks.

As you say, it's not a case of replacing like-with-like.  Every player brings their own attributes and personality to a team. 

Like you, I would like to see creativity added to our midfield.  And also a holding midfielder too, to protect the defence......not forgetting a new keeper.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2018, 06:47:34 AM »

Emre Can to stay at Liverpool in January but 'very close' to signing Juventus deal

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/672275/Liverpool-news-Emre-Can-Juventus-transfer-news

Juventus boss Massimiliano Allegri admitted last week that he's a big fan of the German midfielder.

"We're all aware of Emre Can's qualities," he said.

Care to enlighten us as to what they are because he keeps them well hidden when he's wearing a red shirt.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2018, 07:02:00 AM »
It will work in our favour if Monaco won't sell Lemar in January.

He's not reached the heights he did last season. I realise he lost a fair few team mates in the Summer, but Monaco are still 2nd in the French league, so they've hardly crumbled.

Losing the likes of M'Bappe should see someone like Lemar step forward and take centre stage in his absence. Truly class players do that.

By waiting until the Summer, we could save ourselves wasting an awful lot of money.

Draxler is the one we should be aiming for. He's a more rounded player, able to play wide or centrally equally as affectively, and he's at the point in his career to take the big step up like Coutinho did over the last 18 months.
His chances of doing that at PSG are limited.

We could also take Kevin Trapp off PSG on loan until the end of the season, as he's a definite step up from Mignolet and Karius, or maybe take advantage of Stoke being managerless and put a bid in for Jack Butland, and see if something shakes loose there.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2018, 11:10:54 PM »
If there's once transfer that will both highlight the madness of the market and the total dearth of centre halves, it will be if Jonny Evans leaves WBA for either Chelsea or Arsenal, for anything over £10M, probably closer to £30M.

Where was the clamour for his signature when Van Gaal sold him for £6M 2 Summers ago?