September 19, 2019, 10:07:04 PM

Poll

Is it now time to put the European Cup as the no.1 priority?

Yes
1 (12.5%)
No
1 (12.5%)
I'll decide after the nxt couple of league games
1 (12.5%)
We're LFC and should be going for both
5 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: EURO CUP Vs LEAGUE  (Read 2177 times)

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
EURO CUP Vs LEAGUE
« on: February 26, 2009, 11:52:47 AM »
With the league slipping furthur and furthur away and Torres unlikely to be fit for the Boro and Sunderland games, is it now time to give the European Cup priority? Our most likely chance of silverware

Or should we go all out for the league at the expense of Europe?

Or is the squad big/good enough to do both?

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: EURO CUP Vs LEAGUE
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 02:38:05 PM »
Kopite, the game at old trafford will determine how we prioritise things.

If we don't win there, then I think we will adjust our focus slightly.

Mind, we can't abandon the league - we want to at least finish in second spot - and the others are too close for us to take our eye totally off the ball.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 05:10:06 PM »
I think at this stage in the season if we prioritise for one competition we will probably end up losing both. If we were to sacrifice the league and if league performances start to slide then I would be afraid that less focused league mentality could spread into Champs league performances. Best keep the players focused on both fronts.

Plus its still too early to concede to United. An unexpected United loss in the league could really heat things up.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 11:04:18 AM »
There's 18 games left in our season. Let's prioritise the next game between now and the 18th and see where that leaves us after the 18th one has been played.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 05:49:34 PM »
Rafa and the players have made me change my mind. Champions League everytime. We do Madrid, not Middlesborough. We do Barcelona, not Bolton. San Siro, not Stoke.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 12:35:53 AM »
never cared for the premiership anyway
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 11:02:55 AM »
I got offered a ticket for the boro game on friday. But declined after going to Stoke and Wigan, and a sixth sense that this would happen! We now need to fight for second and forget about trying to win it. Unfortunately i think the Sunderland game is going to be as frustrating. The pressures well and truly got to us. Lets hope we learn enough from this season to take us up a gear or two next year.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 11:21:13 AM »
agreed, kopite.

to be honest, I think we will struggle to even finish second.

our form since December has been very poor.

I suspect we will be fighting off Villa for that third spot.

With United now walking it - they can start to focus on the CL.  We however will have to keep our focus, on trying to maintain an automatic CL qualifying place.

Sadly, as happens every season, United go on one of these long winning runs after Xmas......and everyone else gets lost in their dust.

wittsy

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 11:56:27 AM »
This situation has been growing more apparent over the last few weeks. We haven't got the stamina to last a season and stress has crippled us. We still need one or two players with a real desire to win at all costs, yes we do win games without Gerrard and Torres but sometimes we need just something more when the team aren't firing on full cylinders.

Why has it been so long till Zhar has had a crack in the firsts, he's capable of unsettling defenders and causing all kinds of trouble up front, he should have already had a crack in the team it's too late now and it'll take him a few games to get to full speed. Also we have Voronin who is scoring at will over in Germany, we have only one striker who scores goals and he constantly injured, when Keane was sold should he have been recalled?

CL games are different, we ALWAYS lift our game and you'd never bet against us who ever the opposition are. Does this possibly point to a problem with our mentality at the club?

Jas

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 12:06:33 PM »
Although its dissapointing to now be out of the race(although not mathematically impossible), its made a nice change to be ruled out at the beginning of March rather than in November/ December. Yes its sad to see us wimper recently but its a step in the right direction. Just hope Rafa's given a new contract and some money to buy quality and not squad players, so he can keep on improving the club. I have no doubt that under Rafa we will win the league. But he needs the best tools to be able to do so, and that means new owners quick, not long negotiations over the summer that will impact on our ability to get new players in

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 07:34:47 PM »
We're in a strange situation now. Competing with Chelsea for 2nd whilst at the same time in a fight with Villa to avoid finishing 4th and therefore a tough Champions League qualifying round, against a much better team than we've prevously had to face, next season when the new rules come in.

Rafa needs to learn and learn fast. 1-1S, 0-0s in the right combination see you through the CL group stages all the way to the final. In the Premier League, they kill you. Only our second defeat yesterday, which is a good record, but it was the hammer blow it needn't have been without all the draws.

We need to start matches the same way we play when we're a goal down, just a touch more controlled maybe ie both full backs can't go forward at the same time. Get the lead and continue in the same vein until we get the second, then we can look to 'control' games. We need more pace in the time, better movement of players around the man in posession, giving him options and creating space, pulling the opposition around and undoing their defensive shape.
And then there's set pieces, both our's and the opposition's. We need to be more inventive from our set pieces. They could prove to be an important goal scoring opportunity against the 'park the bus' teams, so they need to be made full use of.

Finally, there's the reserves. If they are not going to be used to give 1st team squad members pitch team and experience, either to regain fitness after injury or development time for such as Lucas, Babbel as the reserves have traditionally been used, but instead to be used for players that are too old for the academy but not quite at the level to be a regular first team player or squad member who can be expected to play 25+ games per season, then they need to be trusted and used to fill in occassionally when we have an injury crisis in a certain position, like yesterday, otherwise what's the point of them being at the club?