September 19, 2019, 07:33:20 AM

Poll

What will be the outcome of this epic encounter at Anfield?

Liverpool win in 90mins
6 (75%)
Real Madrid win in 90 mins
0 (0%)
Extra time Liverpool win
1 (12.5%)
Extra time Real win
0 (0%)
Penalties Liverpool win
0 (0%)
Penalties Real win
0 (0%)
Abandoned due to fog/snow!!!
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Lverpool VS Real Madrid  (Read 5008 times)

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
Lverpool VS Real Madrid
« on: March 05, 2009, 05:22:32 PM »
With one of the most prestigious ever football games to be held at Anfield on the horizon, what will be the outcome?

Will it be the game that gives us belief to kick on to Rome and a possible 6th European Cup?

OR is it the end of the road for another year?

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
Re: Lverpool VS Real Madrid
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 05:35:13 PM »
And what team should Rafa play to give us the best chance of progressing?

wittsy

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 06:58:13 PM »
I can see a boring 1-1 draw. (of course the fact we go through is far from boring)

Jas

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 07:18:53 PM »
A narrow 1-0 home win. RB is a problem as neither Masch or Skrtel should play there. Carra can't either as who would partner Skrtel? Hyppia isn't in the squad is he?

Maybe one of the academy lads can come through. Not before bloody time if you ask me! Fingers crossed Torres is fit.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 10:13:07 PM »
yeah Hypia's in the squad now. he was on the bench at the bernabau

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 10:28:19 PM »
yeah Hypia's in the squad now. he was on the bench at the bernabau

In that case Carra at RB and Sami with Martin in CD. Who gets the LB slot? Insua or Aurelio? I like them both. I'd love to see Fabio get a chance in left midfield.

Will Benny play after his revelation that Rafa never congratulates his players? I don't like that aspect of his character. Everyone responds to praise. He needs to work on that but who will tell him? Or is Sammy the good cop and Rafa the bad one?
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 03:39:12 PM »
With Aurelio's crossing and creativity the left of midfield would suit him perfectly, but he had such a great game in the first leg at left back that it would be hard to change it.

With regards to Yossi, if Torres is fit its going to be a hard call whether he plays or not. He's been arguably our best player in the last few games. If Torres is fit i think Gerrard should play just behind him. With Alonso and Masch in the middle, Reira on the left, which leaves a decision on the right between Kuyt and Yossi. And I think Rafa will go for Kuyt purely based on his record in the European Cup over the last couple of years. But that would be very harsh on Benny.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 03:40:19 PM »
we should go through.

tho I worry that if Madrid do get a goal, things could get very nervy (the threat of a second madrid goal would have us biting our nails down to the quick - especially since we struggle to score goals ourselves).
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 08:28:54 PM »
Benny's out with a hamstring injury, which is a huge blow as he's been our form player recently.  Does anyone know if Darby's recovered from injury.

I guess it'll be a somewhat patched up team. Who cares if it's a drab draw, the result is everything especially with our injury problems. 
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 10:41:32 PM »
Benny's out with a hamstring injury, which is a huge blow as he's been our form player recently.  Does anyone know if Darby's recovered from injury.

Source? Nothing on the official LFC site nor on the Telegraph one. I suppose Lucas is fighting fit!  :(
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 12:17:14 PM »
Riera's suspended for tomorrow. So ASI i would do what you said previously. Move Aurelio onto the leftside of midfield and play Insua at left back.

wittsy

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 03:50:39 PM »
Aurelio did play there the first season he was over here, quite well too if I remember.

If Torres and Arbeloa are still injured the will cause us problems. I just hope that being short of a few players doesn't weaken us too much.

Jas

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 07:22:58 PM »
We should be alrite to start the game. just hope none of the back four pick up a knock, because we're running a bit thin on defenders

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 08:48:39 PM »
Source? Nothing on the official LFC site nor on the Telegraph one. I suppose Lucas is fighting fit!  :(

Yossi Benayoun is ruled out for Real showdown

March 9, 2009

James Ducker

Rafael BenÍtez, the Liverpool manager, has suffered a setback before the second leg of his team’s Champions League first knockout round tie against Real Madrid at Anfield tomorrow after Yossi Benayoun was ruled out for about a fortnight with a hamstring tear. The Israel midfield player, who scored the only goal in the 1-0 win at the Bernabéu in the first leg, suffered the injury during a training session on Friday.

However, BenÍtez is hopeful that Fernando Torres, the striker, and Álvaro Arbeloa, the right back, will overcome ankle and hamstring problems respectively. Daniel Agger, the defender, is unlikely to be fit, though.

“Fernando is improving but it’s still too soon to say if he’ll be fit,” BenÍtez said. “We now have two or three more training sessions before we have to make a decision. Arbeloa is much the same as Torres and we will try to push him harder over the next couple of days.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article5871343.ece

Both Lucas and his new haircut are apparently fighting fight. He'll be our matchwinner - source, the tea leaves from my last cuppa.  :'( 
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 05:30:11 PM »
gonna miss Benny.

I can´t imagine Torres will be at peak fitness, if he plays.

We can´t afford to defend the entire 90 mins.  Gonna make for a fascinating game.

The gound is gonna be rocking tonight. 

I am stuck here at a hot dusty humid cowboy border town. 

I will check back later and hope to find a great final score.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.