December 13, 2019, 03:29:39 AM

Author Topic: The Roy Hodgson Thread  (Read 132667 times)

anfieldr0ad

Re: The Roy Hodgson Thread
« Reply #810 on: January 07, 2011, 07:47:41 PM »
Do you really think the same team and manager who lost to a very poor Blackburn can give the mancs a game at old trafford?Footballs a funny game. I hope so but I'm fearful if they get an early one. I'm going mainly for the atmosphere with nearly 10,000 redmen it should be a good one win or lose.

P.s this is a Liverpool football forum not the queens ball. We dont need grammar police on here

Torres and Gerrard always seem to turn it on against the 'big' clubs, just like Torres ripped Chelsea apart earlier in the season..He's been pretty much invisable since then.
Would love to do one over the manc twits after all the abuse we have been getting from them since our fall from grace

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: January 07, 2011, 10:29:19 PM »
Looks like he'll be in charge Sunday but gone by monday

I reckon the owners have probably given themselves time to fly in and do the dirty work on Monday. They will probably be at OT for the game.

But your right he is a gonner, just when more than if now.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: January 07, 2011, 10:33:16 PM »
I have to imagine that our owners spent yesterday (Thursday) making many phone calls.  The result being, an early call to Anfield today.

Have they a full-time boss lined up; or will they go with a caretaker.  And will they sack Roy now, or wait til after the United game on Sunday. 

I'd go with a caretaker.  And I'd do it now,  but only (now) if it was someone who knew the club well (say Phil Thompson).

Id say thats whats held things up, they dont want to be rushed into their next managerial move. Whoever is appointed next has to be for the long term and maybe some of FSG's targets wont be going anywhere until the summer at least.

Kenny and Phil would be a good call for a caretaking capacity.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: January 08, 2011, 12:08:17 AM »
Id say thats whats held things up, they dont want to be rushed into their next managerial move. Whoever is appointed next has to be for the long term and maybe some of FSG's targets wont be going anywhere until the summer at least.

Kenny and Phil would be a good call for a caretaking capacity.

I'd go with phil as caretaker.

kenny would be a problematic appointment.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
The Roy Hodgson Thread
« Reply #814 on: January 08, 2011, 11:11:36 AM »
Kennys got his wish then!! Long live the king

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: January 08, 2011, 11:48:10 AM »
Strange timing but all the best to Roy for taking on a difficult job and doing his best. Let's now see how Kenny sets up the side for tomorrow. It's going to be a long day!
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: January 08, 2011, 12:04:39 PM »
And so the saga finally comes to a head.  Agree that timing though was odd to say the least.
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: January 08, 2011, 12:07:30 PM »
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/hodgson-leaves-liverpool-fc

Liverpool FC confirmed today that manager Roy Hodgson has left the club by mutual consent.

Principal Owner John Henry commented: "We are grateful for Roy's efforts over the past six months, but both parties thought it in the best interests of the club that he stand down from his position as team manager. We wish him all the best for the future."

Roy Hodgson said: "Being asked to manage Liverpool Football Club was a great privilege. Any manager would be honoured to manage a club with such an incredible history, such embedded tradition and such an amazing set of fans. Liverpool is one of the great clubs in world football. I have, however, found the last few months some of the most challenging of my career. I am very sad not to have been able to put my stamp on the squad, to be given the time to bring new players into the club in this transfer window and to have been able to be part of the rebuilding process at Liverpool. The club has some great, world-class players, with whom it has been a pleasure to work and I wish the entire squad well for the rest of the season. I thank those with whom I have built up a close working relationship at the club for their loyalty and support during very testing times, and finally of course to the Liverpool fans, your passion and dedication to the club will see Liverpool at the top of the game once more."

Club legend Kenny Dalglish will assume control of team matters for Sunday's third round FA Cup tie against Manchester United at Old Trafford.

Henry added: "We are delighted that Kenny Dalglish has agreed to step in and manage the team for Sunday's FA Cup tie at Old Trafford and for the remainder of the season.

"Kenny was not just a legendary footballer, he was the third of our three most successful managers - three giants. We are extraordinarily fortunate and grateful that he has decided to step in during the middle of this season."

Chairman Tom Werner said: "No one who cares for this great club has been happy with the way this season has unfolded and we have examined options and considered at length what is best for us going forward. Kenny will bring considerable experience to the position and provide management and leadership for the rest of the season."
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: January 08, 2011, 12:12:21 PM »
Henry added: "We are delighted that Kenny Dalglish has agreed to step in and manage the team for Sunday's FA Cup tie at Old Trafford and for the remainder of the season.

FSG will remain steadfast in their pursuit of a more long term appointment during the summer imho so the hunt for a new manager is still on. 
The game against the Mancs really does take on a different dimension now, and not just the football, the battle between Dalglish and Fergie......can't wait!

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: January 08, 2011, 12:14:14 PM »
Will it be possible for a total change in playing style in 24 hours? Maybe play for a draw and then take them at Anfield. Utd are not the force they were a couple of years ago.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: January 08, 2011, 12:18:49 PM »

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: January 08, 2011, 12:50:05 PM »
FINALLY!!!! I just found it really difficult to be motivated under Hodgson....

Leastwise we're Liverpool again!! Fuckin' A! 

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: January 08, 2011, 01:31:41 PM »
It's done, thanks Roy but no thanks...at least you gave a decent enough leaving speech but it really was never meant to be...
At least this decision is done before the Manure game though a day earlier would have been nice...but saturday and sunday morning can be spent speaking to the players...and kenny knows the in's and out's of the team and their strengths...
was really not looking forward to the manure game tomorrow...especially with our dire track record in the fa cup against them...but my faith has been restored...
Also good that John Henry has made a point that Kenny's appointment is till the end of the season only, i was beginning to wonder about the top level decision making and the lack of it...but this is acting and not panicking...
Hicks and gillette gone and now poor old Roy who should never have been appointed in the first place...
We're back on the road to redemption...

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: January 08, 2011, 01:57:13 PM »
It's a wise move by Henry to emphasis that it's a caretaker role. I can't see there being a problem from Dalglish's point of view stepping down at the season's end. As fans we've got to understand whatever sort of job he does, it's temporary a new man will be in charge when the '11/'12 season kicks off.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
The Roy Hodgson Thread
« Reply #824 on: January 08, 2011, 01:58:05 PM »
I actually feel sorry for woy. He blatently wasn't good enough to manage a top side but he is a nice bloke and it's never nice to see anybody sacked. But it's for the best of the club.and hopefully the king will restore passion in playing for the shirt if nothing else