December 07, 2019, 05:10:51 PM

Author Topic: The Roy Hodgson Thread  (Read 131926 times)

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
The Roy Hodgson Thread
« Reply #825 on: January 08, 2011, 02:02:52 PM »
It's a wise move by Henry to emphasis that it's a caretaker role. I can't see there being a problem from Dalglish's point of view stepping down at the season's end. As fans we've got to understand whatever sort of job he does, it's temporary a new man will be in charge when the '11/'12 season kicks off.

I only see it as a temporary appointment but what if we have a great run of results under him? Will fans want him permanently and if he tastes a bit of success will he want to step down.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Roy Hodgson Thread
« Reply #826 on: January 08, 2011, 02:15:27 PM »
I only see it as a temporary appointment but what if we have a great run of results under him? Will fans want him permanently and if he tastes a bit of success will he want to step down.
Depending on results the owners should keep an open mind on a change in the summer. It's going to be difficult for Kenny to reinvigorate a side clearing lacking talent in some parts of the field (primarily defence) but if he does get us into a European slot then he deserves plaudits.

Of course how he feels towards Damien Comelli's role will be pivotal. It's not a problem once we're out of January but long-term he may not want a job where he cannot decide on future players.
Cheers,
Ray

DeepestL0NGROD

« Reply #827 on: January 08, 2011, 02:32:02 PM »

Of course how he feels towards Damien Comelli's role will be pivotal. It's not a problem once we're out of January but long-term he may not want a job where he cannot decide on future players.
Good point. He was used to handling everything 20 years ago. But now he has separate guy doing all things transfers?

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: January 08, 2011, 04:10:36 PM »
I actually feel sorry for woy. He blatently wasn't good enough to manage a top side but he is a nice bloke and it's never nice to see anybody sacked

My sentiments exactly.

Decent bloke, decent manager and unfortunate that things had to end this way. That said its the right call but I think its only fair that we realise Roy did his best for the club and for that reason he deserves our respect.

Best of luck to Roy wherever he ends up next. Its just a pity for all parties conscerned that Purslow uprooted him from what he had going on at Fulham.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: January 08, 2011, 04:19:25 PM »

I think Kenny sees this as a move towards getting the job on a permanent basis. If he can galvanise the team for the remainder of the season and show hes still got what it takes to manage at the very highest level then I think Henry and Werner wouldnt have a problem appointing Kenny. But galvanising this team isnt going to be a given.

As for Henry and Co I think for the moment it will be a case of sounding out a younger boss who they believe can lead this team for years to come. Until they find that replcement Kenny has to do all he can in the short time hes got.

What p*sses me off is that this was the appointment that should have happened in the interim during the summer. Roy was never good enough and so many fans made that call long beofre his appointment. Its just a pity the so called football people at the club were oblivious to what everybody else seemed to know.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: January 08, 2011, 04:50:59 PM »
Dude, an article for you.....

http://tomkinstimes.com/2011/01/hodgson-gone-dalglish-returns/

thanks for the link, gurdeep.

some things in there, that I had forgotten (or never knew about).......phil neal's row, after kenny was appointed and he was ignored.  Chris Lawler's fall out with the club, etc.

what came through, was that rather than being a club where all things were rosy, all the time......there was ALWAYS major politics behind the scenes.  It's just that the club never allowed them to be aired in public.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: January 08, 2011, 05:08:56 PM »
the owners had essentially no choice.

these past 4 months, the club has been in dire straits on the pitch - thanks to the crazy antics in the boardroom last summer (sacking a good man, and appointing a lesser manager). 

with new owners, and fans baying for blood, and shouting en masse for the return of the old king - the owners had no option.   The club has changed, from the one we loved, respected and were in awe to.  And the fans have changed too.  I see a lot of Newcastle-type qualities now among fans.  And if that takes root, then I see only one direction for the club. 

phil thompson, or even roy evans, or even possibly john aldridge, would have been better choices, to lead us til May time.  But it was not to be. 

What we desperately need - and I am surprised that we have not already got one - is a top notch chief executive.  With this temporary appointment, we have a window in which to find a top executive.  THAT man will then have a major say in who gets the manager's job in June.

I wish Kenny well.  Along with Graeme Souness, he was my favourite Liverpool player of all-time (well, MY lifetime).  He is a good man.  He knows the club inside out.   I just hope that we don't spend the rest of the season in the bottom third (with a fear of getting dragged into a relegation fight), or even mid table.  The man deserves a better send-off than that. We do not want to see the king have to go into exile. 

I wish Roy well.  But he was never the man for the Anfield hotseat.  And I thought he talked far far too much - an english david o'leary.  He kept talking himslef into trouble.  And it was always someone else's fault.  Fans are not stupid.  And Roy didn't give them that respect. 

I am looking at a glass that is half-full.  We have seen the back of the toxic twins.  We lost a good man (Rafa) during that final battle.  But we have our club back again.  It has one of the largest fanbases in the world.  And unlike all the other top clubs, we have essentially no debt.  With a top chief executive and manager in place, the future can be bright.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

anfieldr0ad

« Reply #832 on: January 08, 2011, 05:18:02 PM »
Please tell me Sammy Lee has gone too!

Offline thisisanfield

• Just starting out
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: January 08, 2011, 05:40:53 PM »
Great News! Next game at Anfield will be so electric, Thanks John Henry for making the move without stabbing Roy in the back. And Thanks Roy for (finally) having the decency to leave with your head held high as an honest man.
Your football style was not wanted here and could never be accepted, West Ham might need you.
Let's get behind Kenny and you never know working with Comoli might pay off, if Kenny does a good job he must be considered to stay.  This was a good  solution under the circumstances hopefully it will prove to be the best solution. YNWA

DeepestL0NGROD

« Reply #834 on: January 08, 2011, 11:07:04 PM »
Please tell me Sammy Lee has gone too!
Whats wrong with Sammy?

anfieldr0ad

« Reply #835 on: January 08, 2011, 11:22:10 PM »
Whats wrong with Sammy?

Whats right about Sammy?

Sacked at Bolton, Rafa sacked with him as assistant, Roy sacked with him as assistant, why does he still get to stay?, usually the manager and assistant go but he's out lasted them both, altho he offers nothing?
Would like to see someone who the players will listen to.

DeepestL0NGROD

« Reply #836 on: January 08, 2011, 11:36:31 PM »
Whats right about Sammy?

Sacked at Bolton, Rafa sacked with him as assistant, Roy sacked with him as assistant, why does he still get to stay?, usually the manager and assistant go but he's out lasted them both, altho he offers nothing?
I reckon there is a lot of backroom stuff he does at Liverpool that we don't know about.

anfieldr0ad

« Reply #837 on: January 09, 2011, 12:16:01 AM »
I reckon there is a lot of backroom stuff he does at Liverpool that we don't know about.

errrmm.. OK! i doubt it, I'd like to see someone stronger who the players respect in his place. We'll see tho.

Offline Jim B

• Just me
  • Administrator
  • A regular
    • View Profile
    • Anfield Road
« Reply #838 on: January 09, 2011, 07:30:52 AM »
Whats right about Sammy?

Who told you Rafa sacked him? Who told you Roy sacked him? Is there any need for this spite from you? That's all I see in anything you post.

Something Kenny said last night you could do with heeding: "Everybody has to pull in the same direction. There's no point not being a unified unit. If we pull in different directions we won't get anywhere."

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: January 09, 2011, 09:37:44 AM »
It's being reported this morning that Roy was dismissed by e-mail. If that is the case then I'm sorry, but that is a shoddy way to sack the manager of Liverpool Football Club. What a contrast to the dignified way Gerard Houllier was dismissed when David Moores and Rick Parry ran the club. It's not a pleasant thing to happen but there are ways of treating people and that just wasn't right.

Was it beyond the capabilities of the owners to fly over and do it face-to-face and then take in the game today?
Cheers,
Ray