December 07, 2019, 01:58:39 PM

Author Topic: The Roy Hodgson Thread  (Read 131891 times)

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Roy Hodgson Thread
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2010, 05:20:51 AM »
Good article by Tomkins...i think Roy has till Xmas before any decision is made...the new owner, John Henry and the rest of us will see if Roy has 'stepped up to the plate' by then (oh no! the baseball puns begin) ...
If he hasnt and we're still playing with little direction and no passion then it's a strikeout! (noooooo)

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2010, 06:51:53 AM »
Good article by Tomkins...i think Roy has till Xmas before any decision is made...the new owner, John Henry and the rest of us will see if Roy has 'stepped up to the plate' by then (oh no! the baseball puns begin) ...

;D
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2010, 11:26:03 AM »
Ed, Barticus I think if we were to lose to Everton there may not be any coming back from that for Roy.  He is certainly losing or testing fans support at the moment and I think another loss to Everton away could push a lot  of fans over the edge. Plus it looks by then the whole ownershio saga will be sorted so Roy will be hoping fans dont need their fix of protesting and turn their attentions to having him sacked  ;D.

Apparently there is a contract in Roys clause about a takeover;

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=830526&sec=england&cc=5739

ESPNsoccernet can reveal that Roy Hodgson has a specific break clause in his Liverpool contract that allows the club to replace him if there is a change in ownership of the club.

Hodgson signed the contract in the summer knowing that his future would be immediately on the agenda, without or without the 'escape clause' loaded on Liverpool's side.

However, ESPNsoccernet also understands that a pay-off is part of the same clause and Hodgson would expect to be compensated in full.

However, it can also be disclosed that the prospective new owners from the States have so far given no indication whatsoever about the future of Hodgson and the three man delegation from the owners of the Boston Red Sox parent company have yet to meet the manager. So far, though, the earlier indicators are that Hodgson will not be replaced.

The subject of Hodgson's future has not been part of the negotiations between New England Sports Venture (NESV) and chairman Martin Broughton.

A Liverpool spokesman said: "There's a commitment to the manager. They are very happy that this manager is the right person to take the club forward."

The present board appointed Hodgson, so would give him time to prove himself, but the attitude of the new owners so far unknown. However, past experiences show that new owners give the incumbent manager some time to prove himself before contemplating a change. How long that would be would depend on the results in the next few games.

An insider told ESPNsoccernet: "The new owners haven't met the manager yet, they are sure to want to sit down with him, talk to him and see if they can work with him.

"But in all the discussions it has never been raised, the issue of perhaps replacing the manager, it certainly hasn't come up in conversation."

Hodgson has welcomed news of the planned sale of the club.

"It's very positive and of course I'm delighted,'' he said. "It's been going on a long time and I know how hard the board have worked to set things up.

"I know it's not easy for them because the owners have other ideas in terms of the sale of the club and what is achievable.

"But I was delighted to hear the news and have it confirmed that it looks like it is going to go through.''

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2010, 07:26:21 PM »
So Roy's contract is so short it's only a clause. We know he was short term, strategic appointment, but poor bloke. Even O'Neill had a contract of sorts.  ;D
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2010, 07:38:09 PM »
Juan, I'd rather see who is on the board that Red Henry appoints before considering the manager's position. We need people with football knowledge as well as business savvy. If it's Purslow and someone like him then who knows who we'll end up with.

Bayern, if I've remembered correctly (so what I'm about to write is probably totally wromg), have a business board and a football board. How the two mesh and who has he final say on what, I don't know, but's an interesting concept.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2010, 07:43:02 PM »
Hey Juan, certainly the result against Everton is important......but what gets on my nerves with respect to Roy is What he says, How he says it, His general demeanour in the dugout and How the team performs....I'll back a guy if he comes out and says we defended sh*t today, it's not acceptable and then the following week there is a change....

I don't necessarily expect miracles in our current situation, but it is frustrating when it's not exactly clear what he's trying to do and i find him quite vague with respect to this...Even if he was to say I'm very confident in the team and it's only a matter of weeks before were winning games etc....What's lacking for me is passion, confidence, anger and ambition.....maybe that's the kind of guy he is.....problem is, in the meantime we're becoming a bit of a laughing stock  :-[

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2010, 07:43:51 PM »
Juan, I'd rather see who is on the board that Red Henry appoints before considering the manager's position. We need people with football knowledge as well as business savvy. If it's Purslow and someone like him then who knows who we'll end up with.

Bayern, if I've remembered correctly (so what I'm about to write is probably totally wromg), have a business board and a football board. How the two mesh and who has he final say on what, I don't know, but's an interesting concept.

Not a bad plan, Kenny heading up the football board.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2010, 07:53:22 PM »
Hey Juan, certainly the result against Everton is important......but what gets on my nerves with respect to Roy is What he says, How he says it, His general demeanour in the dugout and How the team performs....I'll back a guy if he comes out and says we defended sh*t today, it's not acceptable and then the following week there is a change....

I don't necessarily expect miracles in our current situation, but it is frustrating when it's not exactly clear what he's trying to do and i find him quite vague with respect to this...Even if he was to say I'm very confident in the team and it's only a matter of weeks before were winning games etc....What's lacking for me is passion, confidence, anger and ambition.....maybe that's the kind of guy he is.....problem is, in the meantime we're becoming a bit of a laughing stock  :-[

I know what you mean Ed. To be honest I havent minded his off field performance, he tends to say the right thing in the right way. As you say the problem is that he doesnt really seem to change whats happening on the pitch. There are so many examples its frustrating but Roy just perseveres. Johnson at right back, Carragher centre back are to name a few that have been driving me bananas. To see Torres get balls lumped up to him against Birmingham and expected to make something out of them. Substitutions, tactics, picking players performing poorly,  up to now he seems to have shown flaws with all of them. If he continues in the same way I dont think he will last looking so misguided in every department.  Hes in the big league now, we need to be winning every game for a crack at the title. Two away wins in two years might have sufficed at Fulham but that wont work here so he needs to step up fast.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 07:54:24 PM by Juan »

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2010, 11:22:26 PM »
like Tes says, I am warming to our present board - especially Broughton. 

Broughton knew what he was dealing with (devilish toxic yanks)......he knew what had to do......and he did it.  He seems (tho let's hope a judge agrees) to have totally out-manoevered Hicks.  Indeed Hicks looks a fool.

I'd love to see someone like david dein on our board (managing director).  If BA ever ditch Broughton, I'd like to see him on the board too. 

Dalglish wanted to manage the club again and to talk to everton about a shared stadium.  I cannot agree with him on either score and thus cannot see myself ever wanting him on the board.  He needs to be our worldwide lifetime ambassador (same role as bobby charlton has with united). 

PS - I see that p.rick Ray Houghton has been shouting today also about a joint stadium with everton. 

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2010, 11:00:53 AM »
Roy is looking to be backed by the new owners. I'm sorry to say I dont see why they should back him. New owners have taken over an ailing club with an ailing team on the pitch. They wont want to ignore the fact that the team is playing so badly. Part of Roys terrible start can be put down to the takeover cloud but only a small part. If anything I think Roy needs to be saying that its up to him in the next 6 games to prove he has what it takes to manage Liverpool. And if the next six games dont see a massive improvement well then on yer bike Roy.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_6447108,00.html

Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson has called on the club's new owners to back his efforts to lift the Reds out of the relegation zone.

The Anfield outfit's protracted takeover saga was finally resolved on Friday when New England Sports Ventures (NESV) saw their £300million offer go through.

NESV, who also own the Boston Red Sox and are fronted by John W Henry, claimed power from Tom Hicks and George Gillett after courtroom battles either side of the Atlantic, although the duo are refusing to go quietly.

Attention will now turn again to events on the field, where the Reds have endured a miserable start to the season, suffering humiliating home defeats at the hands of Northampton in the Carling Cup and Blackpool in the Premier League.

The reverse at the hands of the newly-promoted Seasiders saw the Kop turn their anger towards Hodgson, with chants of 'Dalglish, Dalglish' demonstrating that some supporters were keen for Reds legend Kenny Dalglish to take the helm.

But the former Fulham boss, who only replaced Rafa Benitez at the helm in the summer, has called for everyone to pull together in a bid to lift Liverpool out of the doldrums.

The first challenge for the now NESV-owned Reds is Sunday's Merseyside derby against Everton at Goodison Park, with Hodgson warning against knee-jerk reactions should results not immediately improve.
Fresh start

Hodgson said: "I know I can turn it around but I need the patience and support to do it.

"All clubs need stability - managers and players as well - but that is becoming a very hard thing to find.

"I've always expected new owners and put my faith in the board to choose the right ones. From what I know of NESV and the Red Sox, they know their stuff and will be good for the club.

"This is a fresh start for the club and, hopefully, that means for me too. I was proud to come here and now I am even prouder.

"I signed for three years and it's a sad day for everyone if, after a bad start, people think the best solution is to wave a magic wand and look for someone else.

"But the prospect of having new owners doesn't greatly concern me because I knew the previous ones were not popular.

"John called me this week and said he was very much looking forward to working with me and the other people here - but there was no talk of my situation."

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2010, 11:26:42 AM »
From: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2010/10/16/fresh-start-can-give-liverpool-fc-a-head-start-says-roy-hodgson-100252-27482107/2/

“Unfortunately in most games – Arsenal being the exception – we have gone goals behind and had to catch up,” he explained. “We have ended up taking risks and thrown players forward. It would be nice one day to have something to defend rather than something to catch up on.

That sort of sums Roy's philosophy up perfectly. In his previous life, at his previous clubs/countries, that would have been an understandable outlook.

What would be even nicer was to have a lead and then build on it.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2010, 12:31:36 PM »
true, Juan and Tes.

I am not a fan of changing managers often - and certainly not mid-season.

BUT, Roy (despite being one of life's gentlemen) just isn't up to the task IMHO.

To compete at the very top, we need top personnel......and that includes in the boardroom, in the dugout and on the pitch. 

Europe's finest include: Carlo Ancelotti, Guus Hiddink, Jose Mourinho, and Rafa Benitez.

The one that may be relatively available at present is Guus Hiddinlk.....he is Turkey's manager.  But he is 64 years old in a few weeks
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2010, 09:07:38 PM »
I'm with the dude and thoroughly suspicious of RH, in my opinion the Liverpool manager should have as his number 1 ambition to win the league.....now I got to ask myself the question do I see Roy Hodgson doing that?....tbh his track record suggests that he's capable of doing certain things but, there's nothing there to suggest that he can win the Premiership??

So if in a million years I can't see him doing that then wtf is he doing as the Liverpool manager?? Anyway, I'm not suggesting he win the league this season, but what I expected was for him to have come in and DONE SOMETHING.....Currently we are in the relegation zone (8 points off the top 4) and playing absolute sh*te.

There is this idea about lowering expectations among the fans that he speaks of........i'm sorry but lowering expectations among Liverpool fans is talking about finishing 2nd in the league....that's the job (it's brutal, he has my sympathies, but that's the job!!)

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2010, 08:33:37 AM »
It will be a sad day for football if I'm sacked:  As he meets Liverpool’s new owner, Roy Hodgson admits that he fears for his future

Roy Hodgson has been in football management long enough to appreciate the fragility of his profession.

So when he heard Liverpool's new American owner John W Henry talk reassuringly yesterday of his support for the manager, he could have been forgiven for thinking that history is still against him.

For the reality is that few football managers - Manchester United's Sir Alex Ferguson being the exception - ever survive a change of club ownership

And with Liverpool languishing in the bottom three of the Premier League, 63-yearold Hodgson knows the reality is that he is on trial for his Anfield future.

When he sends his team out for a Merseyside derby of huge significance at Everton today, it will be only his eighth Premier League game in charge of since he was introduced as the successor to Rafa Benitez.

Lose and Hodgson will surely feel the fates are moving against him. 'I think it would be a sad day for football and a very sad day for Liverpool Football club if, after eight games, someone the pomp and circumstance that greeted my arrival was sacked,' said Hodgson.

'Liverpool spent a lot of money paying compensation to Fulham to bring me here. I was feted as one of the best managers around. If eight games into the season people start saying that I'm no good at all and I have to go, that would be a sad day for me and for the club

'That kind of thing isn't Liverpool's style. Liverpool down the years have always been the opposite of that. This was the club that gave Bill Shankly 15 years to build the club and then spent the next 10 years trying to ensure that the people who worked under Shankly carried his work on. I find speculation about my future insulting to both me and the club.'

Liverpool's new owners were in no mood yesterday to heap any more pressure on their manager. Henry and Tom Werner, a Hollywood mogul who is chairman of New England Sports Ventures, lunched with Hodgson and his players when they introduced themselves at the club's Melwood training ground.

Afterwards Henry, whose ownership of the Boston Red Sox revitalised the fallen giants of American baseball, said they had assured Hodgson his position was secure

But while the Red Sox racked up two World Series in three years following NESV's takeover at Fenway Park, they did so only after the team manager had been sacked within weeks of the new owners' arrival in 2001.

Henry said yesterday: 'We talked to the players today and we talked to Roy. I think our message was simple: We're here to support you and encourage you. Our feeling is we're here to stabilise and to answer questions that might be lingering; to just come in and have the same attitude we had in Boston, which is to be smart managers and to listen.

'We had lunch with a few of them. Steven Gerrard sat next to us and he said he was happy that there was leadership here and we wanted to reassure him we would be doing what we could to improve the situation

'They seem to be optimistic. There's a great morale in the club, it's very positive. We are very encouraged. I think we have done everything we can to assure Roy that we are not here to make changes.

'We are here to build. At Boston we had a manager and a general manager in a dysfunctional situation. That is not the case here.'

Liverpool under Hodgson may not have reached the dysfunctional stage but it is undeniable that with 15 World Cup players in his squad, the manager's results have been below standard.

Of course, if Liverpool beat their old enemy today and follow up with European success in Napoli on Thursday and a triumphant return to Anfield against Blackburn next Sunday, even Hodgson's sharpest critic on the Kop might begin to turn.

Hodgson has experienced most things in football. He has even come across NESV before when they visited Fulham to look at a commercial tie-up between that club and the Boston Red Sox.

It is their interest in Arsenal, however, that encourages Hodgson most. He has always seen himself as an Arsene Wenger-style team builder rather than working on the Chelsea or Manchester City model of splashing the cash.

With Henry unlikely to break the British transfer record, that might be just as well.

Hodgson said: 'The good thing for me is that the new owners are logical people. I am told they have been to Arsenal to see how things are done and there is no doubt they are a fantastic role model as a club.

'Arsene has been given the time and used it wisely and recruited very wisely. He doesn't go to the owner and say, "I want you to be in hock for £150million".

'I don't want people to think Hodgson has no ambition. But Wenger tries to spend wisely the money the club earns. And there is no doubt being the type of coach I am, that is what I want to do as well.

'There are a lot of fans out there who believe everything was better in the past and we can get back to the old days with a flick of the fingers.

'But there is a very large body who realise we've been going in the wrong direction, it needed to be stopped and now it needs to start moving in the right direction.

'That's what I will be trying to do all the time they want me here.'

Hodgson is looking forward to a future where there will be more talk about signing new players than stopping existing ones from leaving.

He admits the pressure of being asked every week whether Fernando Torres is going to stay has even affected his own ability to see the big picture.

'I have to remind myself not to immerse myself in the subject. I start looking through a microscope at miniscule particles of dust trying to see if there is an atom there. Maybe it is just a bit of dust.'

'The cry has gone up, "What has happened to Fernando Torres?" Maybe nothing has - maybe it's just that he is not playing very well and is unhappy about it.

'We are talking football matches here, not rocket science. People make mistakes. Last season Dimitar Berbatov was regarded by fans as not playing well. Now he is.'

He talks a lot of sense does Roy. But he knows it's still no guarantee of the owners keeping him in the long term. The trial starts now.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1321198/After-meeting-John-W-Henry-Liverppol-boss-Roy-Hodgson-admits-fears-future.html

It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2010, 08:44:59 AM »
Liverpool down the years have always been the opposite of that. This was the club that gave Bill Shankly 15 years to build the club and then spent the next 10 years trying to ensure that the people who worked under Shankly carried his work on. I find speculation about my future insulting to both me and the club.'

Dear Woy,  rather than talk about how previous Liverpool regime's have supported their manager through good times and bad, would it not be better to concentrate your efforts on how to get our team out of its current predicament?  Actions speak louder than words, John 'Dubyer' Henry already made that very clear last Friday!

One final point, please don't speak about what Shankly did.  You do yourself no favours imho.  As above, let your actions speak for themselves.