December 06, 2019, 12:32:27 AM

Author Topic: The Roy Hodgson Thread  (Read 131623 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: The Roy Hodgson Thread
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2010, 09:18:40 AM »
'I think it would be a sad day for football and a very sad day for Liverpool Football club if, after eight games, someone the pomp and circumstance that greeted my arrival was sacked,' said Hodgson. 'Liverpool spent a lot of money paying compensation to Fulham to bring me here. I was feted as one of the best managers around. If eight games into the season people start saying that I'm no good at all and I have to go, that would be a sad day for me and for the club.'

No, the saddest part is that someone, with all due respect, thought you were worth the outlay of around £8M that it took to swap Rafa Benitez for you.

He's already become very self defensive and feels the need to react to the written media. Never a good sign that someone is handling the pressure.

We need to start playing our way out of this mess and not defending.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2010, 09:33:22 AM »
From: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/oct/17/liverpool-fans-football

"I lost five of my first six matches at Fulham. Maybe there were [lower] expectations but I remember feeling fairly depressed and suicidal. I thought Fulham were a big club."

Every time he comes out with this sort of thing makes it a bit more worrying that he really doesn't 'get it'.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2010, 11:43:04 AM »
From: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/oct/17/liverpool-fans-football

"I lost five of my first six matches at Fulham. Maybe there were [lower] expectations but I remember feeling fairly depressed and suicidal. I thought Fulham were a big club."

Every time he comes out with this sort of thing makes it a bit more worrying that he really doesn't 'get it'.

The erratic nature of his comments suggest to me that hes out of his depth. Before his arrival here I would have put Roy as being a calm collected manager that didnt rise to the media or collapse under pressure but some of the stuff he is coming out with now is nonsensical.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2010, 12:09:35 PM »
It will be a sad day for football if I'm sacked:  As he meets Liverpool’s new owner, Roy Hodgson admits that he fears for his future

It is their interest in a*senal, however, that encourages Hodgson most. He has always seen himself as an a*sene Wenger-style team builder rather than working on the Chelsea or Manchester City model of splashing the cash.

With Henry unlikely to break the British transfer record, that might be just as well.

Hodgson said: 'The good thing for me is that the new owners are logical people. I am told they have been to a*senal to see how things are done and there is no doubt they are a fantastic role model as a club.

'a*sene has been given the time and used it wisely and recruited very wisely. He doesn't go to the owner and say, "I want you to be in hock for £150million".

'I don't want people to think Hodgson has no ambition. But Wenger tries to spend wisely the money the club earns. And there is no doubt being the type of coach I am, that is what I want to do as well.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1321198/After-meeting-John-W-Henry-Liverppol-boss-Roy-Hodgson-admits-fears-future.html

Again Im not sure why Roy is comparing the way he likes to build a team to the way Wenger does. Its nonsensical. Wenger has not had much cash over the last few years which is true but there have been times when Wenger had the money to buy players, needed to buy players but didnt want to spend the money. Thats one of the reasons they havent won anything in the last number of years and personally I think its one of Wengers flaws. Its like the goal keeping situation at arsenal Wenger refuses to believe theres a problem but there clearly is.

The second reason I'm baffled by Roys comparison to Arsenal and Wenger is that even without money Wenger has a special ability to make any team and player play. I wouldnt go as far as to say Wenger doesnt need money but he would do alot better than other managers would without it. Roy doesnt have the ability to make a team play total football or at least I have never seen him display that ability previously at a club so automatically I would argue that hes more reliant on cash than Wenger. Put it this way do you think we would be languishing in 18th position if AW was in charge. I doubt it.

A club like Liverpool deserves a manager with the calibre of Ferguson, Wenger, Mourihno, Ancellotti. Unfortunately Roy doesnt not fit the bill.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2010, 02:04:30 PM »
So Torres is playing against the Toffee's.  I'm sorry but a derby to bring back a player coming back from injury?  Do me a favour!  Looks more like a desparation move rather than a tactical one.

Just hearing on 5 Live that Torres's head is down and is not in the game......
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2010, 02:16:37 PM »
Cahil scores, 1 nil to the Toffee's. 

Guess we'll be hearing stories from Woy about how fungus face was at the brink of losing his job etc etc etc.....
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2010, 02:45:43 PM »
Arteta scores......2-0

Woy's game is almost up.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2010, 03:33:36 PM »
Hodgson has to go. We are not improving at all. Players do not break forward when we have the ball. Passes to men stood still or with their backs to goal. No urgency at all. At at times our most forward player was Carragher on the RW. Why didn't Kelly get a chance?

I don't know what your plan is Roy. Your tactics are abysmal. I wouldn't mind if you changed things sometime but you're stuck in a rut with no Plan B. No Plan A either!

At least the new owners will have seen the extent of our problems. Time for CP to start looking for a new manager tomorrow morning.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2010, 03:37:15 PM »
ah yes, the english media demanded the head of that pesky no-good foreigner, rafa benitez.  You must remember rafa, beardy bloke, broken english, took the club to 2 European Cup finals in 5 years, and all on a shoestring budget.

bring in that english god, roy hodgson, the media hacks all demanded in unison. 

like always happens, the media are shown to know feck all about anything.

they need reminding.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

wittsy

« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2010, 04:00:32 PM »
I'd give Roy up till next weekend and if still no joy then ship him out, doesn't he have a clause to shift him within a set time after the new owners come in or something ???

He doesn't seem to have a vision or plan for the team and has no ability to charge the players up, he just sits there watching not acting.  I like the guy but not losing and winning are two different things and he tries to do the wrong one.

Jas

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2010, 04:10:15 PM »
Quote from post-match interview... "I think we can consider ourselves unlucky."  >:(

No Roy, we weren't unlucky. We never even came close to scoring until the 92nd minute and Everton, with a bit more composure, could have scored 2 more. We were never at the races. We only had so much possession towards the end because Everton sat back and defended comfortably.

Watching Blackpool v Man City now is as diffferent to our play as chalk and cheese. And I'm talking about Blackpool, not City!!  >:(
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Redman

• Settling in
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2010, 04:21:47 PM »
ah yes, the english media demanded the head of that pesky no-good foreigner, rafa benitez.  You must remember rafa, beardy bloke, broken english, took the club to 2 European Cup finals in 5 years, and all on a shoestring budget.

bring in that english god, roy hodgson, the media hacks all demanded in unison. 

like always happens, the media are shown to know feck all about anything.

they need reminding.

Spot on Dude, where are the fools that were screaming for Rafa's head at the end of last season? Disappeared up their own backsides by the look of it. Pope Pumparse now thinks that Roys appointment is inspired but that's only because he doesn't want to appear a hypocrite when screaming for Rafa to be sacked. We are in a very dire situation right now and I can see us losing 2 of the 3 up and coming matches. Folks were saying that we were 1 win off 4th place, well we're not now. I can see us being relegated this season. How many folk would have thought ManU would be relagated in the 70's? No club is too big to go down. At least Rafa had a game plan, Roy's like a fecking deer caught in the headlights, he hasn't got a clue and man am I pissed  >:(  >:(  >:(

Redman

p.s Did you or anyone else hear that fat f**kwit on SSN after the final whistle, Roy needs time, he's inherited Rafa's crap squad, Rafa's spent all the money etc etc the usual bile, I wanted to punch him in his know nothing fat face
“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.”

Nikola Tesla

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2010, 06:01:04 PM »
exactly, redman.........they all said man utd couldn't go down in 74......and years later, forest were also supposedly too good to be relegated.

it the club doesn't take action I fear we will be fighting a relegation battle.

our defence is no good........and our midfield is a joke (based around a fictional superman).  Torres is a constant sick-note and we have no backup.

bring in guus hiddink.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2010, 06:03:36 PM »
BTW here is a lovely quality version of that man utd relegation game.

great memories of brian moore, gerald sinstadt and the big match era.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjMa9Qp1ses&feature=related

buck

« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2010, 06:43:27 PM »
I never thought that Roy was up for the job, I wish I wasn't proved right.  I would give Kenny the job, he may have been out of the game for a number of years but I am sure he could do a far better job than the current manager we have.