December 13, 2019, 11:01:36 AM

Author Topic: The Roy Hodgson Thread  (Read 132735 times)

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Roy Hodgson Thread
« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2010, 06:53:24 PM »
I think Roy's had a very tough start to his Anfield career. However, calling for his head after 8 games is a real shame for any person claiming to be a Liverpool fan. I have no doubt in my mind Roy's paying the price for the downfall that startet under Rafa during his last 3 seasons where the players by each game lost confidence and autonomy. The fact remain Roy only got 7 days with the full squad to prepare for the new season. That's not a lot of time to get your ideas through. Add to this the gelling of new players, the ownership turmoil and it was plain to see no manager around would turn things around in a season, let alone 8 games. Add to all this the fixture list is the toughest I've seen us face for as long as I can remember.

I don't think we're half as bad as people are making out, Arsenal needed a once every two year error from Reina to get a point, City needed the post and the double save of the season to keep us out of the game, United depended on the goal of Berba's career to win, and against Blackpool we were denied penos Sunderland was awarded the weekend before. True, we're not clicking going forward and we do not create enough cleaar cut chances. But I really really think we've been extremly punished for mistakes made although we lack the firepower or creativity to come back once a mistake is made. That's a weakness, no denying that.

I think we'll slowly start to play better and win games. Whether it'll be enough to  towin 4th I don't know but I wouldn't dare dreaming of writing us off just yet. I probably am one of the very few that genuinely believe ROy's the right man for us. That doesn't mean I think he'll win us no. 19, it means I think he's the right man to help this club find the identity needed to win it and help stabilise the club after the dreadful management of Rafa and GH.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2010, 07:42:03 PM »
Roy might impress the media, but that doesn't a football team make, so far (apart from the standard liege game) we have seen no improvement from a man who would get the best of players...he's said a lot about giving everyone a fair shake of the dice...but doesn't act on it...

with the team we had today there's no point in defending anyway cos we can't...we were much better when we attacked today....ffs roy play babel...try pacheco...you might as well gamble cos if you dont you;re gone...
Lucas, maxi and cole were pretty woeful, and thats our midfield!

i thought roy would have until xmas...but we keep playing like that and torres will be so disillusioned that he'll be gone...he's getting no support...no playmaker in midfield...gawd its awful...we might have the possession, we might have the passing but they have to move forward as well...

the next 5 games are crucial ...2 games against Napoli who are currently 4th in serie a, blackburn, bolton and chelsea...with no improvement in the team then Roy might be gone on the day of the Chelsea game...

Nerve succeeds, Roy...

So who to have as a replacement? at least the ownership crisis is dealt with...now it's only football..

bring in guus hiddink.

..he didnt want the job in the summer with the 2 yankee swindlers because anyone with vague insight could see that it was a no go...Turkey has lost 2 games in succession now so that might add impetus to the idea...

OR....Pellegrini..

i'd be happy with either...

wittsy

« Reply #92 on: October 17, 2010, 07:50:03 PM »
I think Roy's had a very tough start to his Anfield career. However, calling for his head after 8 games is a real shame for any person claiming to be a Liverpool fan. I have no doubt in my mind Roy's paying the price for the downfall that startet under Rafa during his last 3 seasons where the players by each game lost confidence and autonomy. The fact remain Roy only got 7 days with the full squad to prepare for the new season. That's not a lot of time to get your ideas through. Add to this the gelling of new players, the ownership turmoil and it was plain to see no manager around would turn things around in a season, let alone 8 games. Add to all this the fixture list is the toughest I've seen us face for as long as I can remember.

I don't think we're half as bad as people are making out, a*senal needed a once every two year error from Reina to get a point, City needed the post and the double save of the season to keep us out of the game, United depended on the goal of Berba's career to win, and against Blackpool we were denied penos Sunderland was awarded the weekend before. True, we're not clicking going forward and we do not create enough cleaar cut chances. But I really really think we've been extremly punished for mistakes made although we lack the firepower or creativity to come back once a mistake is made. That's a weakness, no denying that.

I think we'll slowly start to play better and win games. Whether it'll be enough to  towin 4th I don't know but I wouldn't dare dreaming of writing us off just yet. I probably am one of the very few that genuinely believe ROy's the right man for us. That doesn't mean I think he'll win us no. 19, it means I think he's the right man to help this club find the identity needed to win it and help stabilise the club after the dreadful management of Rafa and GH.

I could agree with what your saying if we were say 13th - 14th and you could see a plan or style forming but there's nothing. The problem is if we stay at the bottom much longer and our players don't improve they'll start to believe that they're going down and hoping for them to lift their heads may come too late. Roy is panicing and seems out of depth, you can see this by the drivle he's started saying to the media.

JMHO Jas

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 17, 2010, 08:13:14 PM »
Hodgson's CV and pedigree offered no evidence that he was equipped for this job. Still the 'Little Englanders' in the media fell for his 'achievements' whilst forgetting the most important aspect, context.

Do we give him another 5 games and risk losing out on a further 15 points or do we do the right thing now?

Calling for something that isn't working to be changed is not being disloyal. It's looking at the bigger picture and the needs of the club.

The manager may not have the best group of players in the league but he has a group good enough to at least be in touch with fourth place. That's fourth from the top, not the bottom.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2010, 09:06:36 PM »
Hodgson's CV and pedigree offered no evidence that he was equipped for this job. Still the 'Little Englanders' in the media fell for his 'achievements' whilst forgetting the most important aspect, context.

Do we give him another 5 games and risk losing out on a further 15 points or do we do the right thing now?

Calling for something that isn't working to be changed is not being disloyal. It's looking at the bigger picture and the needs of the club.

The manager may not have the best group of players in the league but he has a group good enough to at least be in touch with fourth place. That's fourth from the top, not the bottom.

Abso 'effin' lutely Tes. 

I know we don't have the best of squads as compared to the Man U's/Chelsea/Arsenal of this world but feck me, the relegation zone!  I was not happy with his appointment in the first place and I'm certainly not going to be changing my mind regardless of whether he gets us out of this hole or not.

Woy's inept interview after the Man U game summed it all up for me.  There was Fungus moaning about Torres and Woy said nothing to defend him/the club.  He does'nt get what it means to be a Liverpool manager.  Wake up Woy your not at.....

1971–1972    Maidstone United Assistant Coach
1976            Carshalton Athletic
1976–1980    Halmstad
1980–1982    Bristol City
1983–1985    Örebro
1985–1990    Malmö FF
1990–1992    Neuchâtel Xamax
1992–1995    Switzerland
1995–1997    Internazionale
1997–1998    Blackburn Rovers
1999            Internazionale
1999–2000    Grasshopper
2000–2001    Copenhagen
2001            Udinese
2002–2004    United Arab Emirates
2004–2005    Viking
2006–2007    Finland
2007–2010    Fulham

...anymore.  This is Liverpool FC. 
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 17, 2010, 09:10:05 PM »
Hodgson refuses to panic

Roy Hodgson admitted after the defeat to Everton that the only way to shake off the term 'crisis' was to start winning games.

The ownership of Liverpool was finally resolved this week when New England Sports Ventures seized control from Tom Hicks and George Gillett, but there are still concerns on the pitch following a poor run.

The Reds remain in the relegation zone after going down 2-0 to Merseyside rivals Everton at Goodison Park, with Tim Cahill and Mikel Arteta scoring the decisive goals.

Hodgson is refusing to panic and saw signs of encouragement in Sunday's clash, but accepts that difficult questions will continue to be asked until results improve.

He told Sky Sports: "I don't think it is a crisis, I thought the way we played today was not the level of a team in the bottom three.

"On the other hand it is six points from eight games and that is a very poor return.

"We need to start winning to climb the table and until we do the word 'crisis' will continue to be bandied around."

The new owners were in attendance at Everton, having already given their backing to Hodgson as the right man to turn around the situation.

"It is always nice to get a vote of confidence," said Hodgson.

"Whenever you lose a couple of games in a row these days your position is going to be questioned, so the new owners making it clear they thought I was the right man to do the job, you are always very happy to hear that."

He added with a smile: "Whether that has changed after today I don't know."
Torres

Reflecting on the match itself, Hodgson was satisfied with the effort of his players despite the disappointing scoreline.

He said: "We fell behind to a deflected block which fell kindly for Cahill so

I thought at half-time we were a bit unlucky to be a goal down because we had got back into the game well.

"In the second half we did everything the team could possibly do, we played well, created chances, we limited them to very few and put them on the back foot."

Star striker Fernando Torres again drew a blank but Hodgson believes he is just low on confidence rather than suffering from a physical problem.

"I don't think he is physically unfit, I think he showed that today, he did plenty of work and we don't have any injury problems with him," said Hodgson.

"He got battered during the World Cup and mentally he is probably a bit low and he needs a goal or two to get it back. Certainly today I would have no qualms about his performance."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6450027,00.html
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 17, 2010, 09:14:58 PM »
"It is always nice to get a vote of confidence," said Hodgson.

"Whenever you lose a couple of games in a row these days your position is going to be questioned, so the new owners making it clear they thought I was the right man to do the job, you are always very happy to hear that."

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

I think the smiley's say it all!

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 17, 2010, 09:21:18 PM »
Fair result, no complaints.....I think the standout moment of the game for me was when Lucas passed it to Maxi who then laid it off to Carragher bombing up the right wing  :'(....Another unconvincing performance by RH in the post-match interview.....tbh even though it could be argued that he was at fault for both goals I thought Meireles was good today.....Ideally at some point Torres will start banging them in again....TIGHTEN UP THE DEFENCE....I'll give him another few games to get it right.....But aside from the obvious there still needs to be a few really astute football decisions made in order to stop the rot.... ::)

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 17, 2010, 09:28:52 PM »
Dear Woy,

Having just listened to your post match analysis on Sky Sports you mention that the performance of the team today was good but were unlucky to come away with nothing.

Here is a quote from Shankly, read it, break it down into smaller words.....do whatever, but please, please, please understand it.

“If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing.”

YNWA

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 17, 2010, 10:21:18 PM »
Dear Woy,

Having just listened to your post match analysis on Sky Sports you mention that the performance of the team today was good but were unlucky to come away with nothing.

Here is a quote from Shankly, read it, break it down into smaller words.....do whatever, but please, please, please understand it.

“If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing.”

YNWA

"............but, but when I was at Fulham................."

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 17, 2010, 10:38:32 PM »
Turkey have no games until 29 March 2011. Ring Hiddink / Turkish FA tomorrow morning and see how he/they feel. The decline has to be stopped before the players lose all confidence. It's like being in quicksand. The more you struggle the faster you get sucked down.

The board must be decisive. Jim B is also calling time on Roy. In 45 years of supporting Liverpool I've never known such a desperate time.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 17, 2010, 11:23:37 PM »
Roy Hodgson hails best Liverpool performance of the season (after crushing derby defeat in front of new owners)

Roy Hodgson left himself open to ridicule by describing Liverpool's dispiriting 2-0 derby defeat to Everton at Goodison Park as 'our best performance of the season'.

The former Fulham boss delivered his bizarre claim after making the worst start to a Liverpool managerial career - one win and three draws from eight games - since George Patterson in 1928.

Liverpool's new American owners John W Henry and Tom Werner watched from the stands after originally saying they would wait for a home match.

But only goal difference keeps them above bottom club West Ham in the Barclays Premier League.

Hodgson insisted: 'That was as good as we have played all season, and I have no qualms with the performance whatsoever. I only hope fair-minded people will see it the same way.

'It's just unfortunate that such a good game of football, a real credit to the Premier League, will revolve round the fact that Liverpool did not win.

'It was a sterling effort by the players, especially after Everton's second goal went in. Pressure builds up, of course, but we will cope with that.'

Liverpool have endured their worst start to a season since 1953-54, when they were relegated, and they remain rooted at the lower reaches of the table.

Hodgson, asked if the top four was out of reach, added: 'There are 30 games to go, 90 points to play for, so we'd have to start doing something special I suppose.

'But I don't know I would write that off necessarily.

'What it would take is a really good run on the spin but I thought there were signs in the game today that the quality of football was there.

'Who knows, we could get those four or five wins on the spin - that is what it is going to take.'

Liverpool have now not won in six matches in all competitions and Hodgson admitted, with only one league victory this season, the pressure was mounting.

'We have taken six points from eight games and every game we don't win the pressure builds even more and that will affect people's confidence in the long run,' he said.

'The pressure mounts but I'm not trying to use that as an excuse.'

Liverpool were watched by new owner Henry, whose New England Sports Ventures completed a £300million buy-out this week.

Unfortunately the players could not match the performance of their legal team, who successfully prevented former owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett blocking the sale.

'The dream was we would come here on the back of new owners and win the game but there is no point in attempting to analyse dreams,' Hodgson said.

'This would have been the ideal opportunity to turn things around on the back of the positive entry of the new owners and to get a result here would have been Utopia.'

Everton manager David Moyes was delighted just to end a run of three successive league derby defeats.

'The smile's not come off my face. It's been a long time. I'm really disappointed I've not been able to win more derbies,' he said.

'We play against a really good football club but it's not been because of a lack of effort.

'In the past we've probably lacked the quality to match Liverpool. I don't think we do now.

'We've got players of real quality who could play for the big clubs.

'Whoever scored the first goal was going to be really important and I think we always looked more likely in the first 20-25 minutes.

'I was delighted to get in front because both teams have not been scoring that freely.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1321329/Roy-Hodgson-Everton-defeat-best-Ive-seen-Liverpool-season.html

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 17, 2010, 11:28:41 PM »
Normally you get these self preserving, desperate statements at the end of a manager's reign (when he knows the end is nigh).

Royston, do the honourable thing.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 17, 2010, 11:37:58 PM »
'our best performance of the season'.

Mind if have a 'toke' on whatever your smoking Woy?

Hodgson insisted: 'That was as good as we have played all season, and I have no qualms with the performance whatsoever. I only hope fair-minded people will see it the same way.

Hmmm, fair-minded people.  Let me ebay that......

'It's just unfortunate that such a good game of football, a real credit to the Premier League, will revolve round the fact that Liverpool did not win.

Guy's your a credit to the PL, no really. 

'It was a sterling effort by the players, especially after Everton's second goal went in. Pressure builds up, of course, but we will cope with that.'

Can't knock the players for effort hey Woy.  Just give em' hug.......go on, you know you want to  ;D

'There are 30 games to go, 90 points to play for, so we'd have to start doing something special I suppose.

Yeah, feckit.....suppose so.....YAWN  ::) ::) ::)

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 17, 2010, 11:41:14 PM »
I don't usually post this much in a day but my blood is boiling and I want blood  :P