December 13, 2019, 02:30:33 AM

Author Topic: The Roy Hodgson Thread  (Read 132652 times)

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
Re: The Roy Hodgson Thread
« Reply #105 on: October 17, 2010, 11:42:07 PM »
Oh sod it.......so close....just one more post needed  :o
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 17, 2010, 11:43:32 PM »
Yippee 400 hundred big one's baby.....

Outta here.....night all  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 18, 2010, 12:10:34 AM »
Congrats 'Snarler'.  ;D
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 18, 2010, 12:49:18 AM »
That doesn't mean I think he'll win us no. 19, it means I think he's the right man to help this club find the identity needed to win it and help stabilise the club after the dreadful management of Rafa and GH.

Martinmax I think its noble and all to be able to say you have faith in the manager after the horrendous start to the season we have had and I have always been an advocate for giving a manager time. In recent years from Evans to Houllier and right through to Rafa I supported each of them until the end. But looking for Roy to be replaced is not something I apologise for. As Paul Tomkins said in a recent article he didnt want Roy to get the job in the first place so why should he give him his support with everything thats gone on up to now.

I also think its noble your are defending some of the matches we've played but I'm afraid we didnt lose to the likes of Man City because of one Joe Hart save, we lost because we got battered and deserved to lose. We were tactically and technically played off the park. I dont necessarily want Roy gone because we sit 19th in the league. Were we 19th playing well and losing games through dodgy penalties or crazy red cards I could accept. But we arent playing well and we arent showing any signs of it. The players look clueless, the tactics look clueless, the manager looks clueless. The timing of his substitutions is baffling. Worst of all none of these things are getting any better.  The hope was with the takeover complete we would see a rejuvenated side free from the run off of board room bashing but that unfortunately proved not to be. Roy is a true gent and I dont want to start seeing personal abuse toward him from any section of our fans. However for me Ive seen enough to think that he doesnt cut the mustard for a top club like Liverpool and he doesnt have a single achievement in his Cv that would persuade me otherwise.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 18, 2010, 10:45:49 AM »
Fair play Juan,
We've been out-classed, out-thought and out-fought, doesn't matter the opposition! Roy promised not to bullshit us in press conferences and then we get yesterdays (not the first time) prozac -induced bullshit! Basically, things may get better (or they may not) but why we are second from bottom appears to be anyone's guess and how exactly we're going to get out of appears again to be anyone's guess.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 18, 2010, 11:30:26 AM »
Juan,  I highly appreciate your civlized tone although I do not agree with your reasoning (tho referring to the embarrassing Tomkins won't do you no favors in my eyes). This is not directed towards you Juan, but surely this is the darkest moment for LFC-supporters I've ever witnessed. Time and again under Rafa and GH we went through spells like this yet people called you everything there's a word for under the sun for criticising those managers for not being able to deliver more and better after years and millions spent. Jesus H fornicating Christ, we're 8 games into the man's career. Like Hansen correctly said today Roy inhereted a squad of mediocrity Rafa had done his best to drain of any mental strength during his last 3 seasons. He got what, 7 days with the entire squad before the season started. Then 2 international breaks where he weren't allowed to work the squad with his ideas makes which makes up almost  month. Then an extremly difficult fixture list. I'm not making up excuses but people really need to take a hard look at themselves and their "analysis" of the situation - if that's what they want to call it.

I think this "debate" on Hodgson has become a force on it's own, so to speak. I remember a year ago when Rafa lost 4, or was it 5, on the trot. Yet he continued with his tinkering, restraining of players, shifting line-up just when its clear his original gameplan was slowly coming in to furuition. It was clear he had lost it.  For 6 seaons Rafa was allowed to field weakend sides in the PL to focus on the CL without recieving critic, duringhis 6 years at charge he only managed to sign  handfu of quality player. Roy doesn't manage to turn thigs around in a fornicating afternoon and that's enough to be belittled and ridiculed. I'm not Roy's man on these boards but I feel truly ashamed at how people are reacting to what is, admittedly, a poor start to the season.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 18, 2010, 02:05:04 PM »
I'm not Roy's man on these boards but I feel truly ashamed at how people are reacting to what is, admittedly, a poor start to the season.

I have personally never called for the managers head, especially when just into their reign, and I'm pretty sure the majority of fans and people on this board are the same. 

There is no reason to feel ashamed at how people are reacting to this.  Woy is out of his depth.  There really is no other way to describe it.  The sooner we can get a manager in with proven track record the better.  If we don't do something soon then I'm afraid regardless of the recent takeover our stars or maybe that's star will leave.

ps. Welcome to the board Martin  :)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 18, 2010, 03:57:42 PM »
The difference is that Hodgson didn't have the pedigree and big club experience. His teams were always there to make up the numbers. Asking for a mistake to be rectified is common sense, not embarrassing.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 18, 2010, 04:06:38 PM »
rafa got us to 2 CL finals in 5 seasons.  Despite being financially overpowered by chelsea and man utd, rafa usually qualified easily each season for the CL.

I am pretty ashamed that people like you, martin, aren't giving him the respect he deserves.

like Hicks, you make up rubbish that rafa had a fortune to spend.......you claim that he bought badly.

on the contrary, rafa had limited funds and had to cut his cloth accordingly.

I am mystified as to why you slag Rafa, and are fully behind Roy.

Rafa has his faults - but he is one of europe's finest managers........Roy on the otherhand has nothing on his CV that would suggest greatness.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

wittsy

« Reply #114 on: October 18, 2010, 04:50:59 PM »
There's a reason why Rafa, GH, etc weren't in so much trouble, thats because they had a plan and they showed that they were trying to fix the problem. Rafa had already proven he knew what he was doing as had GH etc, Roy has never proven anything apart from being an average manager. You can give faith and backing to people who show it will be rewarded.

Forget goal differense... we are joint last. We are showing signs of collapse and are looking like the worst team in the league. The manager is looking vacant and talking bum vomit to the media and the team is begging for guidance....... Roy will not give us that.

I like Roy but would only give him 2 more league games, otherwise we may be stuck at the bottom until it's too late to get out..

JMHO

Jas

subsy

« Reply #115 on: October 18, 2010, 05:26:41 PM »
Spot on wittsy...

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 18, 2010, 06:33:57 PM »
I don't buy into the "he got us to 2 CL finals" argument as a means of declaring Roy unfit to manage Liverpool. That's just not an honest way of arguing no matter how you look at it. From day one Rafa had his sights set on the CL. Not once during his 6 years in charge were PL his top priority. Also, throughout his reign at Anfield he was more afraid of losing a game than not winning it. He never truly took on board what it takes to challenge for the PL. You'll now SCREAM at me and point to the 2008/09 season. I'm not even gonna bother explaining how that season alone showed his total failure as PL manager, that ManU time and again handed us the title only for us to draw at home against the likes of Fulham and West Ham and Hull away or lose to a Boro side destined for relegation.  The truth of the matter is, and as Fergie correctly foresaw, we played well and utterly above our genuine level that season. I'd go as far as saying with Moyes we'd walked the title that season.

But no, he had 2 great runs in the CL. Lets forget he during his 6 years and tens and tens of millions spent on crap players failed massively to instill that mentality that saw us go on winning streaks regurarly. We were as inconsistent his final season as we were during his first. We looked as dire and out of ideas in his final season we did during his first. And we were further away from the title positionwise in his final season than we were in his first season. True, he took us to 2 CL finals, but as far as the league goes I'm sorry to have to say he was a f***ing disaster apart from a 3 month spell in the spring of 2009.

And I'm not even gonna mention GH's infamous 14 games without a win streak after having (ALSO) spent years and 10's of millions on crap (worst since the battle of Hastings, God damn). And Roy is called into question after 8 games. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Both GH and Rafa were allowed more than enough time to prove their ineptitude as PL managers, why can't Roy be given at least a quarter of that time? Because you lot are disappointed wiser men than you realised rafa was slowly dragging this club into dismay? He's gone and he'll never come back, thank God.

It's incredible really people do not see the damage done to this club for over a decade by GH and Rafa. Even more incredible is the fact people somehow think it'll be fixed inside 8 games with 2 international breaks, new manager, players and the hardest fixture list since John Holmes took up his acting career.

Again, I do not think Roy will ever win us the title. But then again, the title is at least 3-4 years away even if God himself would descend with Shanks and Sir Bob to his assistance. But I am confindent that Roy, if given time, will leave a foundation for a coming manager to benefit from. Of that I am sure. I just think the criticism is so without nuances, fairness or validity and it that respect I am ashamed to read some of the stuff on here and elsewhere.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 06:38:52 PM by Martinmarx »
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 18, 2010, 06:41:54 PM »
on the contrary, rafa had limited funds and had to cut his cloth accordingly.

Like the nearly 40 millions he spent on an injury prone and unproven Italian and a right-back when the impressive Ngog and Voronin were our back ups to Torres? Not even Fergie would get that much to spend on such poor players. He outspent Fergie big big time his last 3 years in charge. But just like GH he had a thing for phony maths.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 18, 2010, 06:44:36 PM »
Quote from: Martinmarx on Today at 06:33:57 PM  <blockquote>I do not think Roy will ever win us the title.

But I am confident that Roy, if given time, will leave a foundation for a coming manager to benefit from. Of that I am sure. </blockquote>

so you cr.ap all over rafa and houllier, despite the trophies they won at Liverpool...........and laud Roy, despite admitting that you don't foresee Roy ever bringing the title to Anfield.

Bizarely, despite not imagining Roy ever winning the title for us, you claim that the manager after Roy will benefit from his tenure.

I am sorta pretty confused at your reasoning.

TBH  I am starting to wonder if you are a troll.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 06:45:41 PM by the dude abides »
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 18, 2010, 06:48:51 PM »
  Quote from: Martinmarx on Today at 06:41:54 PM  <blockquote>Like the nearly 40 millions he spent on an injury prone and unproven Italian and a right-back when the impressive Ngog and Voronin were our back ups to Torres? Not even Fergie would get that much to spend on such poor players. </blockquote>

Juan Sebastián Verón

PS - if you think Ngog and Veronin are Liverpool quality, then you truly are a troll.