December 06, 2019, 07:54:21 AM

Author Topic: The Roy Hodgson Thread  (Read 131670 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: The Roy Hodgson Thread
« Reply #210 on: October 22, 2010, 03:27:07 PM »
Is there anything Roy could do to see people like you have a change of heart? Winning Europa League and finishing 6th would deffo be quite an improvement compared to Rafa's last, if not his last 3, seasons.

do you follow much football?

since when has the europa league been worth more than tuppence?  It's up there with the league cup..

your assessment is bizarre.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 22, 2010, 03:40:45 PM »
Martin, you like the guy, you see no problems, you're convinced that everything will turn out OK come May. That's fine. We accept that's your opinion and have no problem either with the opinion or your holding of it. Some of us don't see it the same way. Where's the problem? There's no agenda. We're not blind or have boarded up our minds to anything positive that could happen for which Roy Hodgson should be granted his fair share of credit.
Take it for what it actually is, there's nothing more sinister lurking anywhere else.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 22, 2010, 05:30:32 PM »
Take it for what it actually is, there's nothing more sinister lurking anywhere else.

I am actually Rafa.  And I won't rest til I am back in charge at Anfield.

And the spaghetti isn't up to much here.  I can't wait to again get a good curried chip on Bold Street.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 22, 2010, 06:54:36 PM »
do you follow much football?

since when has the europa league been worth more than tuppence?  It's up there with the league cup..

your assessment is bizarre.

I remember back in the day on the offal when ppl heralded winning the CC as pretty much the equivalent of winning the CL, which, by their logic, was proof in itself Houllier was the right man. So forgive me for thinking winning the EL would at least count.

Tes and Dude, I'm sorry for my tone. It's just that I'm shocked by the anti-Roy discourse that managed to evolve and establish in less than quarter of a season. I actually am not sure whether I like thet guy or not, it's more breaking what I think is a holy principle I find upsetting. I was hanged to dry for not supporting the manager of LFC when I criticised Rafa and GH even though it was blatantly obvious they weren't the right way forward.

I apologise for the harsh words above.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 22, 2010, 07:27:18 PM »
Martin, I think you kindof miss the point....to begin with what fans want to see is us challenging in the league 1st, 2nd, 3rd 4th whatever....nobody expected us to win it this season...at the moment Hodgson has us in the relegation zone....one of the worlds best strikers wandering round the pitch like a zombie and no fire or ambition in our play....

On the point of Silverware, it's every Liverpool managers job to win it so yeah we want some silverware...

There's no point in lowering the bar of what it means to be Liverpool manager just because Roy's a nice old man. He needs to prove to the fans that he's the right man for the job in the NEW REALITY we find ourselves in under the current ownership, otherwise the thing to do is write off the entire season, allow the nice old man remain in charge and inevitably pick up the pieces (and repair the damage done to the club) further down the line.

Clem

« Reply #215 on: October 22, 2010, 07:49:37 PM »
Just how has Roy earned and preserved this 'nice guy' tag - and since when has it been worth shed? Was Cloughie a nice guy? He was different class as a manager - Mourhino isnt a nice guy, but he's a manager who can apply tactics and motivate players. Th most successful manager in our league is anything but a nice guy. I don't care if our gaffer is a curmudgeonly creep who openly detests the entire human race, just as long as he shows skill, nerve and at least a modicum of respect for the traditional Liverpool manager's rapport with the Kop.  Some seem to think the Liverpool Way is to blindly support a manager no matter what the performance or results of the side - that is blinkered and dangerous.  This man was appointed by Christian Purslow, with the backing of hicks and Gillet with the enthusiastic laughter of the london media. So far, he has shown he knows nothing about the Liverpool way - pressure on the ball, passion and pride in the team, pass and move, unity (and handling yourself in a dignified and respectful way)- and he needs to go. He is a symptom of the cancer we hope NESV have the courage to excise.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 22, 2010, 08:05:39 PM »
I'm shocked by the anti-Roy discourse that managed to evolve and establish in less than quarter of a season. I actually am not sure whether I like thet guy or not, it's more breaking what I think is a holy principle I find upsetting.

2nd from bottom not shocking enough???

Holy principle???  You would risk the club geting relegated or losing it's top players all on the basis of a holy principle!  Sorry but I find this attitude extremely strange.  Initially I thought your first post on the subject of Woy was quite commendable but as this topic has been discussed further I can't but help think that you have some sort of hidden agenda here. 

99.999% of supporters can see this guy is not a Liverpool manager!  I'm afraid you are that 0.001% that cannot.

I was hanged to dry for not supporting the manager of LFC when I criticised Rafa and GH even though it was blatantly obvious they weren't the right way forward.

Must have been glaringly obvious they were not the right way foward.  Especially after their respective trophy hauls.  You are taking the p**s.....I suspect you must be a toffee nose.

It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 22, 2010, 08:07:43 PM »
Great Post Clem, wish I'd written it!

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 22, 2010, 08:10:29 PM »
Martin, I think you kindof miss the point....to begin with what fans want to see is us challenging in the league 1st, 2nd, 3rd 4th whatever....nobody expected us to win it this season...at the moment Hodgson has us in the relegation zone....one of the worlds best strikers wandering round the pitch like a zombie and no fire or ambition in our play....

We obviously disagree where this club is after 12 years of mismanagement under GH and Rafa. A few cup runs were all they could muster. Laying a foundation, a spirit, an identity from which this club could reap the rewards for years on end in the PL was quite above their level. But those are values people like you will never understand, hence why you're kicking and screaming like a spoilt child less than a quarter into the season "because you had other preferences" (since fornicating when was discussing Liverpool about personal preferences). WE HAVEN'T fornicating WON IT IN 20 YEARS SO WHAT IS IT THAT GIVES US A RIGHT TO TALK ABOUT OURSELVES AS GOD GIVEN CHALLENGERS????????? Is it that hard to take on board, really? Is it? Why?

Geez, I'm getting old, don't I?

The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 22, 2010, 08:15:58 PM »
This man was appointed by Christian Purslow, with the backing of hicks and Gillet with the enthusiastic laughter of the london media. So far, he has shown he knows nothing about the Liverpool way - pressure on the ball, passion and pride in the team, pass and move, unity

Good point Clem, those were the trademarks of the way GH and Rafa had us play. It's a fornicating mystery Purslow had Rafa fired when we played such entertaining footy dropping points to the worst side in the league, getting humiliated at home against Championship fodder, looking clueless and out of ideas 6 fornicating years into that incompetent tools tenure.

You talk about the Liverpool way but wasn't even born when its meaning started to fade among glory hunting Liverpool fans. You're clueless mate. Sorry but there really is no other way to put it. What gave you away? Your pathetic reference to Mourinho.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 22, 2010, 08:39:52 PM »
Martin, I'm not going to respond to you anymore, i find your attitude to be appalling! Every fan is entitled to their opinion about the club, that's why we're fans! There's no analysis, logic or insight in your posts, sweeping generalisations that mean nothing and then all of a sudden Roy Hodgson is the answer! Well forgive me for begging to differ on that point.....maybe if we'd gotten rid of both GH & RB after a quarter of a season we wouldn't be in this (what you call) mess, kindof makes your whatever you call it "holy principle" seem as preposterous as anyone with a brain cell would be able to tell you....

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 22, 2010, 08:48:12 PM »
I'm sorry Ed I hurt your feelings. I'm sorry I stand by our manager despite a disppointing start to the season. I'm sorry it offends you to call it a holy principle to support the club's manager. I didn't mean to hurt you Ed, really I didn't.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 22, 2010, 09:06:20 PM »
I'm sorry Ed I hurt your feelings.

Goading is neither nice or clever.
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

wittsy

« Reply #223 on: October 22, 2010, 09:22:55 PM »
I wouldn't bother with repeating myself on the subject. Martin has made his mind up and thats fair enough, reminds me of someone on here a couple of months ago  ::)

I've got no problem with someone sticking to their gun so will stick to other subjects from now on lol We can argue this out until we nearing our pension age but we'll still never agree.

Jas

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 22, 2010, 09:30:09 PM »
Which reminds me of something. Anyone seen C.J lately? In fact since a certain Spaniard left.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.