December 10, 2019, 06:09:56 AM

Author Topic: The Roy Hodgson Thread  (Read 132324 times)

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Roy Hodgson Thread
« Reply #225 on: October 22, 2010, 09:54:55 PM »
Cheers Gurdeep!  :)

Just read Tomkins latest piece....

http://tomkinstimes.com/2010/10/end-of-an-error-why-roy-has-to-go/

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 22, 2010, 10:35:07 PM »
Cheers Gurdeep!  :)

Just read Tomkins latest piece....

http://tomkinstimes.com/2010/10/end-of-an-error-why-roy-has-to-go/

An excellent article.  Tomkins bang on the money yet again.
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 23, 2010, 12:10:22 AM »
Yeah, I respect his views and he normally backs them up with some sort of data.....

There's certainly a danger of fans blindly following notions of the "Liverpool Way" in the 21st century. David Moores is a good example of someone whose heart was maybe in the right place but got the club into a serious, serious amount of trouble by failing to understand the modern worlds of both Commerce and Football. I have respect for the traditions of our club (that's why I follow us!) but not to the point of stupidity.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 23, 2010, 12:17:55 AM »
Anfield divide! Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard lead fight to save boss Roy Hodgson from Liverpool revolt

Last updated at 10:46 PM on 22nd October 2010

Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher are at the heart of efforts to stifle growing unrest in the Liverpool dressing-room about the capabilities of under-fire manager Roy Hodgson.

Should West Ham claim at least a point against Newcastle today, Liverpool will be rock bottom of the Barclays Premier League before Blackburn's crucial visit to Anfield tomorrow.

It is understood that several Liverpool stars - including striker Fernando Torres and goalkeeper Pepe Reina - are questioning whether Hodgson has what it takes to lead the Anfield club away from the relegation zone.

However, Sportsmail has been told that captain Gerrard and central defender Carragher believe the former Fulham manager should be given time to turn things around.

Gerrard and Carragher are the two most influential players at Anfield and are understandably concerned about a season that has plunged into disarray.

It is understood that they have personally told some of their teammates that they should keep faith with Hodgson's training methods and tactics, at least until Christmas.

Hodgson felt confident enough yesterday to laugh off claims he has fallen out with Liverpool's £21million record signing Torres.

'It's sad really that we should have to put up with things like this,' he said. 'People write the most ridiculous things on these websites, like I'm having fights with Fernando Torres. Just ridiculous.

'Someone told me yesterday that they had me falling out with the rest of my staff, and then they had me resigning. I wouldn't take it too seriously, if I were you, I really wouldn't. The dressing-room, staff, everyone around the place is 100 per cent solid behind what we are trying to do.

'I am here to try to get Liverpool back to where they belong, but I can't do it overnight, when you consider what I walked into. I met the owners, and they made it clear they thought I had inherited a really bad situation but that I was the right man to put it right.

'I would agree that I am the right man to put it right. After three-and-a- half months, I haven't suddenly become someone who has lost all confidence in himself. What I have found is that I have taken on a difficult job at a club that needs a lot of sorting out, and unfortunately I haven't had a good start.

'But I had a bad start at Fulham, and we were favourites to go down with four games left. You have periods like that in your life that you have to live through. I can't say I am happy about it, but it's nothing a few victories wouldn't change.

'It wouldn't stop websites putting out ridiculous stories, but I will have to learn to live with that. It probably comes with the territory of working at Liverpool.'

Hodgson has also had to contend with reports that his job is about to be offered to Frank Rijkaard, but Sportsmail understands the former Barcelona coach is in no hurry to return to management after leaving Galatasaray on Wednesday.

Family matters are taking precedence at his home in Amsterdam, after a week that has included the death of his father and birth of his first child with his current partner, and he is unlikely to consider  another managerial post until the new year.

Blackburn counterpart Sam Allardyce tried to ease the pressure on Hodgson by telling his old foe Rafa Benitez to accept his share of the blame for Liverpool's decline.

Allardyce, who often clashed with the Spaniard, said: 'As a manager, we live in the world of perception rather than reality. I feel for Roy and he's taking the brunt of the criticism, but given time he will get it right.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1323009/Anfield-divide-Jamie-Carragher-Steven-Gerrard-lead-fight-save-boss-Roy-Hodgson-Liverpool-revolt.html

I know it's the Daily Fail, so gritters at the ready, but let's hope there isn't a grain of truth in it.

If there is, then sell Carra and Gerrard and let Martinmarx go on a free also.  ;D 
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 23, 2010, 12:25:39 AM »
If there's any religious bods in here, on Sunday morning please prayer for a win against Blackburn. I really can't cope with idea of Fat Sham winning at Anfield. We'd never hear the end of it. It would be worse than tinnitus.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 23, 2010, 12:30:33 AM »
After Liverpool's first three League games, Roy Hodgson said: "Tables are of no interest until at least 10 games have been played." After eight matches, Liverpool are second from bottom.

So to be fair to him I'll refrain from commenting directly on Mr Hodgson until after the Bolton game.
No, actually I'll wait until after game 11 - against Chelsea. 

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 23, 2010, 01:07:14 AM »

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 23, 2010, 01:22:07 AM »
Anfield divide! Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard lead fight to save boss Roy Hodgson from Liverpool revolt

Last updated at 10:46 PM on 22nd October 2010

'I am here to try to get Liverpool back to where they belong, but I can't do it overnight, when you consider what I walked into. I met the owners, and they made it clear they thought I had inherited a really bad situation but that I was the right man to put it right.

Is he for f*cking real. He inherited a team that underachieved last season and finished 7th in the league. He added to that team and now he has them lying in 19th and he is complaining what he "walked into".

Yeah any team with Pepe Reina, Daniel Agger, Martin Skrtel, Dirk Kuyt, Steve Gerrard, Raul Meireles, Joe Cole, Fernando Torres and 10 other internationals must be a real nightmare to manage. We should be grateful to avoid relegation.

This guy is done. Mr Henry do the honorable thing and put us all out of our misery. Hes tried, hes failed just sack him now and let everyone else get on with their lives.

As I previously stated why wouldnt Carragher want Roy to stay because it means he will probably be the mainstay of our defense for the next two and a half seasons if he does.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 23, 2010, 01:25:30 AM »
An excellent article.  Tomkins bang on the money yet again.

Agreed Gurdeep I think hes said what most fans think.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 23, 2010, 07:05:09 AM »
Found this link on RAWK.  More damning evidence that Woy's methods are taking us backwards....fast!

http://timhi.wordpress.com/2010/10/22/two-derbies-two-manager/
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 23, 2010, 09:35:22 AM »
Found this link on RAWK.  More damning evidence that Woy's methods are taking us backwards....fast!

http://timhi.wordpress.com/2010/10/22/two-derbies-two-manager/

What a damning indictment of Roy's tactics. Only an imbicile would continue with them. He is surely gone if he persists with them.
Cheers,
Ray

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 23, 2010, 10:03:58 AM »
I know the BBC's football gossip column isn't the most reliable source but if these two snippets are true it shows the gulf between Manure, Chelsea et al and Liverpool...

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has been promised £60m to spend on new players before next season with Inter Milan midfielder Wesley Sneijder and Wolfsburg striker Edin Dzeko top of his wish list.

United are also battling it out with Tottenham and Arsenal to sign Bolton's £15m-rated defender Gary Cahill.

Liverpool have joined Wigan and Blackpool in the race for Auxerre's Slovenia international midfielder Valter Birsa.

So there you have it. We're competing with the likes of Wigan and Blackpool for players instead of the top 4.  >:(
Cheers,
Ray

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 23, 2010, 10:11:11 AM »
Roy's gone back to defensive mode again with this statement on team fitness...

"Jamie is a centre back and that is where I think he should be playing. I don't like having to move him to full-back but it would be wrong to put young Kelly into the team and leave someone like Kyrgiakos or Skrtel out. We need the experience."

Why is it wrong to play a lad who was good enough under Rafa to play in a CL game but not good enough against a mediocre team at home??? How do you get experience if you don't play? If Kelly was good enough on Thursday against the 4th palce team in Italy surely he's good enough against Blackburn? Arrgghh!!! :o
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 23, 2010, 03:27:24 PM »
Roy's gone back to defensive mode again with this statement on team fitness...

"Jamie is a centre back and that is where I think he should be playing. I don't like having to move him to full-back but it would be wrong to put young Kelly into the team and leave someone like Kyrgiakos or Skrtel out. We need the experience."

Why is it wrong to play a lad who was good enough under Rafa to play in a CL game but not good enough against a mediocre team at home??? How do you get experience if you don't play? If Kelly was good enough on Thursday against the 4th palce team in Italy surely he's good enough against Blackburn? Arrgghh!!! :o

Problem is, he wasn't good enough. He was a total disaster that almost cost us the point in the dying seconds of the game. Can you not see he's not good enough?
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 23, 2010, 03:32:24 PM »
I wouldn't bother with repeating myself on the subject. Martin has made his mind up and thats fair enough, reminds me of someone on here a couple of months ago  ::)

I've got no problem with someone sticking to their gun so will stick to other subjects from now on lol We can argue this out until we nearing our pension age but we'll still never agree.

Jas

There's every chance in the world we will finally agree, just not after 8 games.

The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.