December 14, 2019, 10:14:07 AM

Author Topic: The Roy Hodgson Thread  (Read 132919 times)

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Roy Hodgson Thread
« Reply #240 on: October 23, 2010, 03:32:45 PM »
Problem is, he wasn't good enough. He was a total disaster that almost cost us the point in the dying seconds of the game. Can you not see he's not good enough?
You have very polarised opinions don't you Martin? I don't class a player making one small mistake "a total disaster". Using your logic Babel and Ngog would also be total diasters as they failed to score from decent opportunities.

Besides, for the previous 89 minutes Kelly did pretty well in my eyes so no, I don't agree with you. Given his limited experience in the first team I think he's aquitted himself pretty well.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 23, 2010, 03:41:39 PM »
You have very polarised opinions don't you Martin? I don't class a player making one small mistake "a total disaster". Using your logic Babel and Ngog would also be total diasters as they failed to score from decent opportunities.

Besides, for the previous 89 minutes Kelly did pretty well in my eyes so no, I don't agree with you. Given his limited experience in the first team I think he's aquitted himself pretty well.

But it wasn't a singel mistake, it was throughout the game. Watch it again and you'll see he didn't get virtually one thing right. I remember people calling Traore a "great" fullback although anyone with a yota of understanding of this came he was hardly good enough for the Championship.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 23, 2010, 03:45:41 PM »
Tes and Dude, I'm sorry for my tone. It's just that I'm shocked by the anti-Roy discourse that managed to evolve and establish in less than quarter of a season. I actually am not sure whether I like thet guy or not, it's more breaking what I think is a holy principle I find upsetting. I was hanged to dry for not supporting the manager of LFC when I criticised Rafa and GH even though it was blatantly obvious they weren't the right way forward.

I apologise for the harsh words above.

thanks for the apology, Martin.

it's ok to have differing opinions.......the problem is when someone thinks they are the sole purveyor of truth and then lambast others views.

all that any of us express are mere personal opinions. 

e.g. I am a big steven gerrard fan (Juan isn't)......ASI doesn't rate Babel.......Juan can't stand the thought of Dalglish being our boss........Tes is a big harry redknapp fan.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 23, 2010, 03:57:05 PM »
e.g. I am a big steven gerrard fan (Juan isn't)......ASI doesn't rate Babel.......Juan can't stand the thought of Dalglish being our boss........Tes is a big harry redknapp fan.

Dude is the resident impersonator. Tom Hicks is his current favourite.  :D
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 23, 2010, 03:59:04 PM »
But it wasn't a singel mistake, it was throughout the game. Watch it again and you'll see he didn't get virtually one thing right. I remember people calling Traore a "great" fullback although anyone with a yota of understanding of this came he was hardly good enough for the Championship.

I won't be watching the game again. But if he was as bad as you say then he would have been subbed wouldn't he? I don't recognise his performance as you describe it.

I never rated Traore but he did clear off the line in the 2005 CL Final so for that I will be grateful he played.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 23, 2010, 03:59:53 PM »

Lol dude lol.

You forgot to mention my huge admiration for Hicks, why Tes feels Torres was never worth 20 million and how ASI thinks Johnson is the most under rated right back in the country.

If only everyone could be as happy with Rupert Murdoch and the cost of their Sky connection as you. You and your Sky boxes all over the house.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 23, 2010, 04:02:35 PM »
Dude is the resident impersonator. Tom Hicks is his current favourite.  :D
:D
accused of being a masochist, I often turn up at fancy dress parties in liverpool and southport, dressed as Tom Hicks.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 23, 2010, 04:02:59 PM »
thanks for the apology, Martin.

it's ok to have differing opinions.......the problem is when someone thinks they are the sole purveyor of truth and then lambast others views.

all that any of us express are mere personal opinions. 

I don't mean to represent the truth in any way. It's just that I really believe we, as fans, should stand behind the manager through the hard times as well. I ain't happy how it's panned out thus far, but right now Roy can't even try to be positive or straightforward before his word's been twisted in the media and links to what he allegedly said appear in this forum and elsewhere to ridicule him. I think that's going beyond being critical of the manager and his decision. There's another word for that and it doesn't start with "when you walk, through a storm...".  That's my truth tell me yours, or something to that effect.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 23, 2010, 04:04:19 PM »
I won't be watching the game again. But if he was as bad as you say then he would have been subbed wouldn't he? I don't recognise his performance as you describe it.

I never rated Traore but he did clear off the line in the 2005 CL Final so for that I will be grateful he played.

Whether he cleared it or just by accident came in the way of the ball will be cause for discussion.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 23, 2010, 04:05:24 PM »
I remember people calling Traore a "great" fullback although anyone with a yota of understanding of this came he was hardly good enough for the Championship.

Martin, you keep some strange company. Actually, you're the only one to have the person, and maybe his multiple personalities, who held that opinion.  ;)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 23, 2010, 04:06:30 PM »
You forgot to mention my huge admiration for Hicks, why Tes feels Torres was never worth 20 million and how ASI thinks Johnson is the most under rated right back in the country.

If only everyone could be as happy with Rupert Murdoch and the cost of their Sky connection as you. You and your Sky boxes all over the house.

:D  aye, ASI is big on the young lad, Johnston.

Can't beat Rupert Murdoch (well not legally anyway) and Sky.  Well worth every penny tenner.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 23, 2010, 04:08:56 PM »
I don't mean to represent the truth in any way. It's just that I really believe we, as fans, should stand behind the manager through the hard times as well.

Martin I agree with you to an extent but where I differ is that I only believe you should stand behind a manager if you believe what they are actually doing is right.

It would be wrong of us to back a manager if behind it all we dont actually believe in him or his methods. That way you would be asking us to support somebody who we believe is actually harming our club.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 23, 2010, 04:12:16 PM »
I don't mean to represent the truth in any way. It's just that I really believe we, as fans, should stand behind the manager through the hard times as well. I ain't happy how it's panned out thus far, but right now Roy can't even try to be positive or straightforward before his word's been twisted in the media and links to what he allegedly said appear in this forum and elsewhere to ridicule him. I think that's going beyond being critical of the manager and his decision. There's another word for that and it doesn't start with "when you walk, through a storm...".  That's my truth tell me yours, or something to that effect.

No one on here is ridiculing him. Disagreeing or seeing it differently, commenting on how it reflects, both on him and the club, is not ridiculing him. Seeing the events on the pitch differently to how he is seeing them (at least publicly) and commenting on those differences, is not ridiculing him.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 23, 2010, 04:18:03 PM »
But Juan, with that way of conditioning support Rafa should've recieved the same treatment Roy is now at least 3 years ago. For the last 3 years Rafa was found out, pretty much any team in the PL knew what it took to take points from Liverpool, even at Anfield. It's the double standards I think I have trouble accepting here. Rafa got chance after chance after chance to prove he wasn't taking this club forward and funnily enough he took every single opportunity handed to him for 3 years. Yet he was beyond criticism based on that one game in Istanbul. I don't known what it is but it isn't analysis based on knowledge and intellecutal honesty. Roy's been declared unfit before even being given the opportunity to prove so. Roy wasn't my first name on the list either, not even the second or third, but I think he deserves the same chance Souey, Roy, GH and Rafa got - a season to prove his failure.

When Rafa arrived at Mestalla he had nothing in his CV suggesting he'd be the first manager to lead Valencia to the title for the first time in over 30 years. Also, he started off with 4 defeats in, I think it was, his first 6 games as manager for Valencia having the Valencia fans kicking and screaming for his removal. I'm not saying the same will happen here, just that pointing to Roy's CV as evidence he'll fail is a pretty shallow and irrelevant argument from an intellectual point of view.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 04:22:32 PM by Martinmarx »

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 23, 2010, 04:20:43 PM »
No one on here is ridiculing him. Disagreeing or seeing it differently, commenting on how it reflects, both on him and the club, is not ridiculing him. Seeing the events on the pitch differently to how he is seeing them (at least publicly) and commenting on those differences, is not ridiculing him.

Do I really have to spend the next hour to cut and paste to prove you wrong or is it too much to ask you read through this thread with an open mind? There's tons of links to "quotes" that "prove" what a "failure" he is. There's quite a lot of condescending remarks you normally wouldn't find in posts claiming to comment on-pitch issues only.