December 06, 2019, 08:31:55 AM

Author Topic: The Roy Hodgson Thread  (Read 131683 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: The Roy Hodgson Thread
« Reply #270 on: October 23, 2010, 11:41:57 PM »
Yet another snidey link trying to ridicule poor Roy:

Hodgson takes a pop at Rijkaard and defends his record as Rovers boss

Published 23:00 23/10/10 By Simon Mullock

Roy Hodgson has insisted he can cope with the pressure of being Liverpool boss – and has ridiculed suggestions that Frank Rijkaard should replace him at Anfield.

The Merseysiders, without a win in seven matches at home and abroad, face their manager’s former club Blackburn today ensconced in a relegation battle and with Hodgson under intense scrutiny after New England Sports Ventures’ takeover.

Rijkaard, the Dutchman who guided Barcelona to two La Liga titles and the Champions League, is being linked to Liverpool following his sacking by Galatasaray this week.

But Hodgson is not prepared to walk away from the Reds without a fight, saying: “I had two-and-a-half years of this kind of thing when I was at Inter when, every day, there would be stuff in the newspapers that someone was going to get my job.

“If I took two and a half years of that in Milan I can take two and a half years of it here.

“It ended up with my being offered a new contract by Inter when I left for Blackburn.

“The doom and gloom that surrounds us is not coming from within the club, not from me and not from the players – it’s coming from people outside who are having a field day and delighting in the fact we are having a bad time.

“Rijkaard has just been sacked from Galatasaray - he must be a great manager to have been sacked by Galatasaray! What you are talking about is Frank Rijkaard’s agent putting his name around. It is all speculation.”

Hodgson spent 18 months at Blackburn after quitting Inter in 1997, but was sacked with Rovers bottom of the table and heading for relegation.

He said: “At Blackburn, I took a team that avoided relegation by one point to the UEFA Cup when we finished sixth in the league.

“That seems somehow to be forgotten when the next season we had a lot of injury problems and found that things were not going so well. But in that first season we were being feted everywhere and I was being tipped as the next England manager, but after a poor start the following season I didn’t get a chance to follow it through.

“I am sure that if I had been given a chance to follow it through, I would have dealt with that one too. You do get bad periods and I have been lucky in having had more good ones than bad ones.

“At Blackburn, 18 months of work got judged on the last two or three months when we did poorly. But that is the business.

“So many good things have been written about me over the last two and a half years that it would be churlish of me to start complaining. But I wasn’t happy about the way my time at Blackburn was perceived.”

Skipper Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres were left behind as a weakened Liverpool team drew 0-0 in Napoli on Thursday night.

Hodgson said: “Now it is up to the players who will be fresh from not having taken part to step up to the plate.

“We have left more than two behind - there is Meireles, there is Johnson, there is Leiva; Jamie Carragher played half the game, Joe Cole only came on at the end.

“I think we won’t be taking any fatigue into the match. It doesn’t always work that way, but we won’t have that as an excuse if we don’t go on and win the game.”

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Liverpool-boss-Roy-Hodgson-has-taken-a-pop-at-Frank-Rijkaard-and-defended-his-own-record-as-Blackburn-manager-article611861.html

:o   :o   :o

Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 23, 2010, 11:48:44 PM »
roy talks too much.

and he is on the defensive re his own (and other's abilities) so early into his time at anfield.

FFS the stuff we are hearing from roy now, is the type of stuff we were hearing from houllier after 3 or 4 years in the job.

It is obvious from his comments that he will have to be sacked......he will never resign from a job it seems.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 23, 2010, 11:55:10 PM »
roy talks too much.

and he is on the defensive re his own (and other's abilities) so early into his time at anfield.

FFS the stuff we are hearing from roy now, is the type of stuff we were hearing from houllier after 3 or 4 years in the job.

It is obvious from his comments that he will have to be sacked......he will never resign from a job it seems.

It's unbelieveable, though I can't wait for him to have a go at Fat Sham if we lose and Fat Sham starts gloating.

I'm afraid the large hessian bag beckons for our dear Royston.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 24, 2010, 12:02:24 AM »
It's unbelieveable, though I can't wait for him to have a go at Fat Sham if we lose and Fat Sham starts gloating.

I'm afraid the large hessian bag beckons for our dear Royston.

yes, at this rate Roy won't make it to November, farless Christmas.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 24, 2010, 12:10:18 AM »
This again shows why Roy has to go. The club risks going back 5 years.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1323260/Fernando-Torres-Pepe-Reina-Glen-Johnson-seek-Anfield-exit.html

Liverpool stars including Pepe Reina, Fernando Torres and Glen Johnson want to quit the club in January as morale hits an all-time low.

Manager Roy Hodgson's job is on the line as Liverpool meet Blackburn at Anfield today looking to escape the Premier League's bottom three.

The malaise is so great behind the scenes that even victory is unlikely to persuade the big names to stay under the current regime and new owner John W Henry, who cannot be present due to illness, will watch the game at home.

Players are aghast that Hodgson has put a 68-yearold, Mike Kelly, in charge of first-team coaching. Kelly, a former keeper with Wimbledon, Birmingham and QPR from 1958 and 1976, even takes Reina through his routines, to the Spaniard's disquiet.

Johnson, who could miss the game against Blackburn with a hamstring injury, has performed poorly under Hodgson and is aware Bayern Munich and Juventus are interested.

Most worryingly for Liverpool fans, they were stunned to hear Hodgson link Torres with a move to Manchester United before Wayne Rooney signed his new contract. Torres has failed to score in the last six games - equalling his worst run for the club - and has an awkward relationship with the manager.

There is a feeling the Spaniard is not trying hard enough. Torres decided to stay in the summer after having discussions with Hodgson but he is understood to regret the decision.

Even Steven Gerrard has not been won over yet by Hodgson. The captain has mainly been deployed in a deep role but is likely to get his chance behind Torres today. Liverpool have failed to win any of their last seven games and Hodgson admits that after resting players in the 0-0 draw against Napoli in midweek, there can be no excuses against Blackburn.

Torres, Gerrard, Raul Meireles and Lucas did not travel to Italy while Jamie Carragher and Paul Konchesky were taken off early. Joe Cole, who has struggled to live up to his billing after signing from Chelsea, has admitted morale is so low at the club that any kind of victory would be welcome.

Henry planned to give Hodgson a trial until Christmas before making a decision on his future.

But things are unravelling so fast that defeat today could see them take immediate action.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 24, 2010, 12:13:07 AM »
I hope this is just Sunday paper nonsense. 'Unravelling' is definately an apt word.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 24, 2010, 12:28:54 AM »
it's the daily mail - lots of the article is just rehashing old stuff and rumour.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 24, 2010, 12:29:39 AM »
Yet another snidey link trying to ridicule poor Roy:

Hodgson takes a pop at Rijkaard and defends his record as Rovers boss

Published 23:00 23/10/10 By Simon Mullock

Roy Hodgson has insisted he can cope with the pressure of being Liverpool boss – and has ridiculed suggestions that Frank Rijkaard should replace him at Anfield.

The one thing I admired about Roy was the way he conducted himself in front of the media. Hes now quickly becoming a joke.

Nice week to have a pop at another manager when he just finished up at Gala and his father died. Twist the knife Roy.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 24, 2010, 12:31:47 AM »
The one thing I admired about Roy was the way he conducted himself in front of the media. Hes now quickly becoming a joke.

Nice week to have a pop at another manager when he just finished up at Gala and his father died. Twist the knife Roy.

Can't wait for Martin's justification. Now maybe he'll see things a little differently.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 24, 2010, 12:32:32 AM »
it's the daily mail - lots of the article is just rehashing old stuff and rumour.

Agreed but unfortunately I dont think we can take notice of the stories we like and ignore stories like this. At the moment anythings possible and I wouldnt be surprised if this story is true. Why should Torres go without another year of CL football

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 24, 2010, 12:44:47 AM »
If Red Henk didn't realise what he'd bought into, he soon will.

I fear we've still got a way to go down the slope before we start the long climb back.

"I cant help feeling while we're getting rid of Hicks and Gillett cant someone take Roy with them" - as well as still being as funny as ever it's starting to take on a rather hauntingly prophetic nature.

Still any excuse to post it.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 24, 2010, 12:48:01 AM »
Agreed but unfortunately I dont think we can take notice of the stories we like and ignore stories like this. At the moment anythings possible and I wouldnt be surprised if this story is true. Why should Torres go without another year of CL football

I'd have been happy to sell Torres last summer, Juan.

The lad is injury prone (and now seems to have an attitude).

And if I thought Gerrard and Torres were behind Rafa's departure, I'd hand the pair of them their P45's.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 24, 2010, 12:49:26 AM »
I'd have been happy to sell Torres last summer, Juan.

The lad is injury prone (and now seems to have an attitude).

And if I thought Gerrard and Torres were behind Rafa's departure, I'd hand the pair of them their P45's.

There seems to be a lot of chatter about Gerrard, Carra and Roy aswell.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 24, 2010, 12:49:51 AM »
JFC...His team should do his talking for him....the audition phase for the job is over .... we want results now!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 24, 2010, 12:51:48 AM »
JFC...His team should do his talking for him....the audition phase for the job is over .... we want results now!

Straight to the point, and no messing. Get in there, Ed.