December 06, 2019, 08:37:51 AM

Author Topic: The Roy Hodgson Thread  (Read 131685 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: The Roy Hodgson Thread
« Reply #285 on: October 24, 2010, 01:07:51 AM »
There seems to be a lot of chatter about Gerrard, Carra and Roy aswell.

yes, I don't like this player power thing taking of.

gerrard was never the sharpest knife in the drawer............and carra's best days are behind him.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 24, 2010, 01:17:57 AM »
yes, I don't like this player power thing taking of.

gerrard was never the sharpest knife in the drawer............and carra's best days are behind him.

They seem to forget a manager never scored a hat trick, an own goal or gave a penalty away. They all need to take more responsibility, collectively and individually for what happens on the pitch.

'If only we could have a new manager............................'
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 24, 2010, 02:07:18 AM »
Straight to the point, and no messing. Get in there, Ed.

LOL, tbh, anything other than a comfortable win tomorrow would surprise me and we have a reasonably easy fixture list coming up....

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 24, 2010, 12:18:29 PM »
But the age old problem is defence.  It has needed an overhaul now for 2 or 3 years.  Carragher, despite being a great lad, just isn't up to it anymore (if he ever was).  Koncheskey isn't of the right level.  Agger is picking up way too many injuries.  We badly need a young Sami Hyppia (plus a top fullback, who ideally can get forward).
He's okay against some of the slower teams. His judgement and positional play can compensate for tiring legs. He never was the fastest anyway. Trouble is, spotting the likes of Hyppia isn't easy. You have to take chances or like City, buy proven quality. Maybe our new owners will do the latter but not until a change of manager please!

Midfield is a mess too.  Captain Marvel's kryptonite is fading fast and it is very obvious.  Roy's summer buys are struggling, especially Poulsen.  Admittedly it is a big ask to come in and immediately make an impact (new country, club, league, etc).
Do you watch England games? Stevie still has it when playing for England. But as you say, he can't do it alone but I think Meireles will get better with games but probably needs a manager with more tactical acumen. But if van de Vaart can make an immediate impression at Spurs then why can't our players? What ever happened to the new manager bounce? We never saw it which suggests he can't inspire players.

And Torres is injury prone and appears to have a poor attitude.  He needs a talking to.  He does need support.  Ngog is a good lad, but never good enough to be the key striker at anfield.
Torres seriously needs to improve his attitude. But I also feel for him as he has no support. If we play him up front alone today that will be typical of Roy's attitude.

I don't know what I want tomorrow.  I'd like to see Roy go.  But I would also hate it to be at the hands of Sam Allardyce (and at anfield).
We have to win to stay within 10 pts of 4th. Even with Roy. But he won't last. Once a CE is appointed he'll be gone in a few weeks. I just hope we choose a new manager wisely.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 24, 2010, 12:27:58 PM »
I do think Roy's days are up. I was very disheartened to learn about the reaction among the players, regardless of how understandable it is, regarding his appointment of 68-year old Kelly as coach for the first team. Roy's extremly isolated at the moment and I can't see a way  back for him now no matter how performance and results pan out. He'll only stay until Henry & Co.'s found "proper" replacement, which, by the way, rules out Rafa. We need to get the next manager right or we'll seriously run the risk of getting stuck in the relegation zone with relegation being an actual possibility.

For the sake of the club, if not Roy's, I wish supporters wouldn't have criticised him so harshly on forums and websites providing a spin for the media to create this extremly negative sprial. I'm not blaming LFC fans for the current malaise but they sure as hell has played its part to create it. Getting rid of Roy may be easy, finding a manager who's willing to run the risk of getting the same treatment he did may be tougher.

The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 24, 2010, 12:31:46 PM »
ASI, who else is there to play alongside Torres? I know Ngog is said to be a forward, problem is... well you know.

I actually think Roy's summer signings have done pretty well. True Konchesky hasn't set the world on fire but was he expected to? Meireles is a quality player we should be very happy to have lured to this club. Jovanovich is one of few players consistently showing passion and creativity. Poulsen is the worst I've seen in a red shirt in many years.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 24, 2010, 12:53:58 PM »

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 24, 2010, 12:58:08 PM »
I do think Roy's days are up. I was very disheartened to learn about the reaction among the players, regardless of how understandable it is, regarding his appointment of 68-year old Kelly as coach for the first team. Roy's extremly isolated at the moment and I can't see a way  back for him now no matter how performance and results pan out. He'll only stay until Henry & Co.'s found "proper" replacement, which, by the way, rules out Rafa. We need to get the next manager right or we'll seriously run the risk of getting stuck in the relegation zone with relegation being an actual possibility.

For the sake of the club, if not Roy's, I wish supporters wouldn't have criticised him so harshly on forums and websites providing a spin for the media to create this extremly negative sprial. I'm not blaming LFC fans for the current malaise but they sure as hell has played its part to create it. Getting rid of Roy may be easy, finding a manager who's willing to run the risk of getting the same treatment he did may be tougher.

Welcome to the Dark side Martin.

In all seriousness Blackburn may effectively get Roy fired for a second time. I dont think it will be a case of finding another replacement, Kenny can step in until the new manager has been found. He would give the type of short term boost and lift to the team that we need at the moment.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 24, 2010, 01:25:33 PM »

::)

It took a 68yr olds appointment as a coach for the first team for you to realise that Woy is out of his f^ckin' depth (hitting head against brick wall)!
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 24, 2010, 02:29:27 PM »
ASI, who else is there to play alongside Torres? I know Ngog is said to be a forward, problem is... well you know.
Nice to see you've finally seen the light with Roy. As to your question... Babel. He was told his performances would dictate whether there was a future for him at the club. He's big and powerful with a decent shot. That's enough to cause Blackburn's defence problems and it also gives Torres a bit more room.

TEAM NEWS! Babel doesn't start. One up front.  >:( Any Liverpool manager who plays one up front at home is unworthy of the job. I doubt we will win today.

And here's a sobering thought. Even if we win 2-0 today we won't move up a single place. A 4-0 will see us overtake Blackburn on gd.  :(
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 02:34:52 PM by Ageing Stick Insect »
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 24, 2010, 02:31:38 PM »
Welcome to the Dark side Martin.

In all seriousness Blackburn may effectively get Roy fired for a second time. I dont think it will be a case of finding another replacement, Kenny can step in until the new manager has been found. He would give the type of short term boost and lift to the team that we need at the moment.

I don't buy into the Kenny solution. That's just a case of nostalgia and wishful thinking. I was just watching first half Stoke - ManU. ManU didn't play any better than we did in any of the games we lost, yet they're up 1-0  after first half. I think that gives Roy a case in saying we've had our fair share of bad luck, tho I wouldn't explain our position by pointing at bad luck, just that when things goes against you it's hard to get a result.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 24, 2010, 02:33:01 PM »
How the fork can he play that worthless piece of shed Maxi ahead of Jovanovic? Sorry Roy, but you have it coming.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 24, 2010, 02:59:27 PM »
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

:D :D :D :D

Synchronised goggle eyes. Mexican wave, pah.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 03:02:06 PM by Tes »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 24, 2010, 03:04:27 PM »
I don't buy into the Kenny solution. That's just a case of nostalgia and wishful thinking. I was just watching first half Stoke - ManU. ManU didn't play any better than we did in any of the games we lost, yet they're up 1-0  after first half. I think that gives Roy a case in saying we've had our fair share of bad luck, tho I wouldn't explain our position by pointing at bad luck, just that when things goes against you it's hard to get a result.

Agree with you re Kenny, Martin. It would be a huge mistake. Bigger than appointing Roy, IMHO.

The difference between them and us is that approach the game in a positive manner, even if there passing game doesn't always click.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 24, 2010, 03:18:46 PM »

The strength of feeling re Roy directly correlates to the depth of emotion fans have for the club. Sometimes it goes over the top, but the rationale behind it is no less valid all the same.
I guess it's down partly to frustration stemming from the last third of the '08/'09 season when we played a more progressive style, which the players appeared to believe in and enjoy, only to go back to the overly cautious, rather turgid stuff last season. Then along comes Roy, mentions playing 'pass and move' but instead we see even more defensive minded, though defensively frail, teeth tingling stuff. I think if the style of play was going through a more positive metamorphosis, which you could understand suffering from initial teething troubles, then he would probably be awarded with more patience.

He's not helped himself by being overly cautious with his purchase of Poulsen. Yes he may know the player, but that was 10 years ago at Copenhagen. He seems to be applying what was instead of what now is with the decision to buy him. Konch was a more understandable purchase. We were in dire need of a left back, there's not a huge choice and the new 'home grown' rule, I'm sure, played a huge part aswell.