December 11, 2019, 09:17:51 PM

Author Topic: The Roy Hodgson Thread  (Read 132517 times)

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Roy Hodgson Thread
« Reply #330 on: October 26, 2010, 01:57:36 PM »
I'm not in a regular habit of overly using profanities on a daily basis either at home, work or any environment for that matter. Like anyone on here an odd word here or there can stray into a post from time to time.  But sometimes when a little steam builds and builds and continues to build without knowing it eventually your top blows and to be honest that's the point I reached last night with Roy. So apologies if my language has offended you.
We all swear from time to time but I rarely if ever swear on public forums. You don't normally but it was very evident when I read your posts this morning. I'm not sure why you're so annoyed. We did win on Sunday and whilst I still want Roy to be replaced I don't feel the need to rant on about him. I'm not sure why you do. Wait until a CE has been appointed and then things will be in place for a decision to be made.

Regarding swearing in posts I just feel it adds nothing to your argument and probably detracts from points you're trying to make. Why not delay posting until you've calmed down a bit?

As far as my avatar to be honest when I saw it I thought it was humorous, it was definitely never meant to offend. As a matter of interest is it the language you dont like, the message it conveys in general?
Whatever your views on Roy I think it's disrespectful to 'tell' anyone to eff off. Maybe it's the age difference? And I still feel your edited avatar does you no credit. But that's just my opinion.
Cheers,
Ray

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 26, 2010, 02:04:31 PM »
The sorry thing about it Tes they wont be just stories. Jim himself has it on good grounds that there is a split between the players at the club as was reported in the papers. With Hodgson here I dont see Reina and Torres hanging around. They want to learn from the best, improve their careers, Roy is Mr f*cking average and always will be. So much for Shanklys aim for the sky and all that. Roy is a dud. I am now so furious that hes still here.
But Jim hasn't come back with any further news on that front so I'm wondering how accurate his source was. Why wouldn't Reina and Torres stay now that we are under new ownership? They've both shown their dedication to the club in recent months and I'm sure Reina's annoyance over the coach issue can be resolved. And with transfer funds available in Jan and next summer things could turn around very quickly. I'd be amazed if anyone asked to leave in Jan although Babel will probably be sold.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 26, 2010, 02:32:06 PM »
Juan, I know exactly how you feel mate.  I too am not happy but I think ASI is correct.  This is a public forum and god forbid we end up like other sites out there......

On a side note there is a part of the forum that Jim has made accessible to certain members "Off The Record".  I think that maybe a good place to vent frustration providing you have access of course  ;D
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 26, 2010, 02:32:23 PM »
But Jim hasn't come back with any further news on that front so I'm wondering how accurate his source was. Why wouldn't Reina and Torres stay now that we are under new ownership? They've both shown their dedication to the club in recent months and I'm sure Reina's annoyance over the coach issue can be resolved. And with transfer funds available in Jan and next summer things could turn around very quickly. I'd be amazed if anyone asked to leave in Jan although Babel will probably be sold.

I think the problem is that modern foreign players have been schooled in a very different way to the methods coaches of Hodgson's generation offer, likewise though  to a lesser extent, coaches like Mick McCarthy.
'Mr Ferguson' despite being stratospherically successful in comparison, realised this applied in some degree to himself, which was the reason he gave for bringing in Queiroz.
My worry with having Hodgson as 'the figurehead' is we may struggle to keep hold of and definately attract the sort of players we need.
This is one of the reasons why I so heavily favour Pellegrini. He has the ability to technically develop players. That I think is definately an attraction to a lot of players, more so than in the past, in addition to their chances of success within the team framework.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 26, 2010, 02:35:32 PM »
Juan, I know exactly how you feel mate.  I too am not happy but I think ASI is correct.  This is a public forum and god forbid we end up like other sites out there......

On a side note there is a part of the forum that Jim has made accessible to certain members "Off The Record".  I think that maybe a good place to vent frustration providing you have access of course  ;D

Gurdeep, there's something I keep meaning to ask. Why is the banana sad?  ;D

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 26, 2010, 02:40:34 PM »
This is one of the reasons why I so heavily favour Pellegrini. He has the ability to technically develop players. That I think is definately an attraction to a lot of players, more so than in the past, in addition to their chances of success within the team framework.

yes, pellegrini will also get a lot of respect from our present latin lads - reina, maxi, torres, etc. 

Plus, he will be well known to future buys from latin europe/america.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 26, 2010, 02:55:13 PM »
yes, pellegrini will also get a lot of respect from our present latin lads - reina, maxi, torres, etc. 

Plus, he will be well known to future buys from latin europe/america.

I think most players will be aware of his reputation and what he did with Villareal's players. Can the same be said of Halmstad '76 and '79?

I know I shouldn't but here's an extract of Roy's Wiki page. I'm not laughing at Roy, but rather the language used on the page:

Hodgson has also coached many notable club sides, including Malmö FF, Bristol City, Viking FK, Halmstads BK, Maidstone United, Internazionale, Blackburn Rovers, Grasshopper, Copenhagen, Udinese, Fulham, and now Liverpool F.C..

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 26, 2010, 03:08:05 PM »
Hodgson has also coached many notable club sides, including Malmö FF, Bristol City, Viking FK, Halmstads BK, Maidstone United, Internazionale, Blackburn Rovers, Grasshopper, Copenhagen, Udinese, Fulham, and now Liverpool F.C..

oh I know - and to think we sacked rafa benitez (one of the world's finest managers) for someone of this pedigree.

*shaking head*
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 26, 2010, 03:25:28 PM »
oh I know - and to think we sacked rafa benitez (one of the world's finest managers) for someone of this pedigree.

*shaking head*

Dude, he was without doubt an excellent Euro tactician but he wasn't the best of judges when it came to buying players but he was far too political which is why he was dispensed with - right or wrong.

We all remember the great European nights but there were some dreadful league performances and his decision to replace Torres at Birmingham last season (4 days ahead of a Euro game) when we were losing and needed the points showed he predominantly favoured Europe over the Premier League.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 26, 2010, 03:34:21 PM »
Dude, he was without doubt an excellent Euro tactician but he wasn't the best of judges when it came to buying players but he was far too political which is why he was dispensed with - right or wrong.

We all remember the great European nights but there were some dreadful league performances and his decision to replace Torres at Birmingham last season (4 days ahead of a Euro game) when we were losing and needed the points showed he predominantly favoured Europe over the Premier League.

along with his sidekick, Paco, he was among europe's top 3 or 4 coaches, asi

and we sacked him for woy........incredible, absolutely incredible.

but I do agree with you re him being way way too political........someone needed to sit down with him and tell him the liverpool way (don't wash dirty laundry in public).

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 26, 2010, 03:59:57 PM »
Gurdeep, there's something I keep meaning to ask. Why is the banana sad?  ;D

Can be open to interpretation my friend.....the one I'm currently using is Broughton and Hicks  :P :P :P
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 26, 2010, 04:57:43 PM »
along with his sidekick, Paco, he was among europe's top 3 or 4 coaches, asi

and we sacked him for woy........incredible, absolutely incredible.
He was but don't you think he lost something after paco left?

but I do agree with you re him being way way too political........someone needed to sit down with him and tell him the liverpool way (don't wash dirty laundry in public).
For a man who tried to absorb all things Liverpudlian he certainly got that very wrong. But I'm sure there are things that went on which we will only learn about when the autobiographies come out.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 26, 2010, 05:59:25 PM »

It was all downhill for Rafa after he broke up with Paco. It'll be very interesting to see if he'll ever win a trophy again witout him. His best bet will probably be winning Serie A this season, although that will mostly be down to the work of Mourinho.

I feel for Juan. I know exactly how you feel mate. Been there, felt that, just not after a quarter of a season. It'll be some time before you get your wishes come true. I'm confident we'll win both at Reebok and against the Chavs. In fact, and as I've constantly repeated on here, I think we'll do better this season than we did last.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 26, 2010, 06:02:55 PM »
For a man who tried to absorb all things Liverpudlian he certainly got that very wrong. But I'm sure there are things that went on which we will only learn about when the autobiographies come out.

yes, I think he was a double act, along with Paco.   I have my suspicion that he is now a shadow of what he was (now without his sidekick).

the problem with player autobiographies, is that 99 percent of players have not got the first idea about football mgt.   Plus, they spin a different yarn when it suits. 

e.g. look at kieron dyer's spin on working with sir bobby robson http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/columnists/brian-mcnally/Brian-McNally-column-Why-I-wont-forgive-hypocrite-Kieron-Dyer-for-his-role-in-Bobby-Robsons-Newcastle-demise-article611255.html

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 26, 2010, 06:49:53 PM »
Whatever your views on Roy I think it's disrespectful to 'tell' anyone to eff off.

That is true ASI it is disrespectful and although the way I said it wasnt by the most appropriate means my opinion on Roy hasnt changed and nor can I see it changing.

Maybe I am picking up the disrespectful traits from Roy himself  ;D, firstly his rant at the scandanavian media and then his rant at Rijjkard. Anyway I never realised the will to have him ousted was so strong, the link below is an article to do with Roys rant towards the journalist but thats not the point of posting the link. Mid way down on the site there was a poll done on whether people wanted Roy to stay or go. 2,892 voters in total, 2,315 wanted him to go, 175 wanted to give him more time, 59 voters saw him as the future. Marting did you vote 59 times?  ;D

http://lfcglobe.com/hodgson-attacks-norwegian-journalist-following-everton-defeat/5782/