December 14, 2019, 02:09:57 AM

Author Topic: The Roy Hodgson Thread  (Read 132862 times)

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Roy Hodgson Thread
« Reply #345 on: October 26, 2010, 06:54:21 PM »
But Jim hasn't come back with any further news on that front so I'm wondering how accurate his source was. Why wouldn't Reina and Torres stay now that we are under new ownership? They've both shown their dedication to the club in recent months and I'm sure Reina's annoyance over the coach issue can be resolved. And with transfer funds available in Jan and next summer things could turn around very quickly. I'd be amazed if anyone asked to leave in Jan although Babel will probably be sold.

To answer your question ASI neither player might feel Roy is good enough to take this club to where they want their careers to be. I think if someone who has proven to be as loyal as Reina is questioning the manager then thats when people should stand up and take notice. Both players could also walk into any team in the world with the exception of possibly one or two.

Its not the January transfer window i would be worried about ASI, its the summer.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 26, 2010, 07:38:32 PM »
I'm not sure why you're so annoyed.

Just to touch quickly on why im now so mad at Roys mismanaging the club.

I was looking at the whole situation again and trying to figure out why was there such a fuss about Roy this year and why he was in such demand at club and International level. I accept that he was the reason for Fulhams monumental achievement of getting fulham to the Uefa Cup final. After that I was stumped. Theres nothing there for me that suggests he should even have been considered for the Liverpool role.

Then on the other hand I looked at what Benitez achieved so far in his career, the major difference between him and Roy was that Benitez had the experience of winning a Champions League, beating Barca and Real to the Spanish league, won domestic cups and even did what Roy couldnt do winning the Uefa cup.  The more and more I thought about the sheer stupidity of replacing a young successful manager with an old unsuccessful one just because of one poor season the madder I became.

In time when the whole pro - anti Benitez slant on things dies down and people look at his achievement and match them to what Roy has achieved I am sure people will wonder who was in charge to let decisions like that occur. Its nonsensical and was down to personality clashes more than anything else. We should have learned from Valencias mistake of letting Rafa go but Purslow was more than happy to to let his personal relationship with Benitez get in the way of the good of the club.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 07:40:28 PM by Juan »

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: October 26, 2010, 07:49:44 PM »
Ex-Real Madrid coach Manuel Pellegrini says Liverpool contacted him
October 26, 2010

Former Real Madrid coach Manuel Pellegrini says he has been contacted by Liverpool regarding the possibility of replacing Roy Hodgson as manager.

"I had lots of offers, some that I like. Ideally, I would like to find a club in December," Pellegrini told the Spanish press.

"Yes, Liverpool contacted me. It is a great club with many Spanish players who I already know, and it is my intention to work in the Premier League."

A poor start to the season has meant Hodgson's future has been the subject of much speculation since the takeover by NESV, even though Liverpool's new owners have backed him publicly.

Liverpool claimed only their second win of the season on Sunday against Blackburn, and lie in 18th place in the Premier League.

The plot thickens.......

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 26, 2010, 07:52:07 PM »
It was all downhill for Rafa after he broke up with Paco. It'll be very interesting to see if he'll ever win a trophy again witout him. His best bet will probably be winning Serie A this season, although that will mostly be down to the work of Mourinho.

I feel for Juan. I know exactly how you feel mate. Been there, felt that, just not after a quarter of a season. It'll be some time before you get your wishes come true. I'm confident we'll win both at Reebok and against the Chavs. In fact, and as I've constantly repeated on here, I think we'll do better this season than we did last.

Cheers Martin, although we dont really agree on too much with roy I respect where your coming from.

As always I have to disagree with you on Paco. I accept Rafa did lose out when Paco left and Rafa was probably too stubborn  to patch things up but Liverpools second place finish surely proved that Rafa could go it alone.

I think its funny when people blame previous coaches for current troubles. In fairness to Rafa he only finished 7th last year not 17th, a place above where we currently sit. So while you blame him for Roys current woe you also refuse to give him credit for the job hes doing at Inter. Benitez cant win. If Rafa was English he would be manager of the century for everything hes achieved to date.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 26, 2010, 07:53:42 PM »
Ex-Real Madrid coach Manuel Pellegrini says Liverpool contacted him
October 26, 2010

Former Real Madrid coach Manuel Pellegrini says he has been contacted by Liverpool regarding the possibility of replacing Roy Hodgson as manager.

"I had lots of offers, some that I like. Ideally, I would like to find a club in December," Pellegrini told the Spanish press.

"Yes, Liverpool contacted me. It is a great club with many Spanish players who I already know, and it is my intention to work in the Premier League."

A poor start to the season has meant Hodgson's future has been the subject of much speculation since the takeover by NESV, even though Liverpool's new owners have backed him publicly.

Liverpool claimed only their second win of the season on Sunday against Blackburn, and lie in 18th place in the Premier League.

The plot thickens.......

That looks like its an article replicated from a story with his agent last week. Maybe Pelligrini is just making hes not forgotten. He would be the man to take us places.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: October 26, 2010, 08:28:46 PM »
Can be open to interpretation my friend.....the one I'm currently using is Broughton and Hicks  :P :P :P

Broughton and Hicks 'spooning'?   *shudders* *shudders again* *vomits*   :D

At last Broughton is top banana. Hicks is the horribly brown, over-ripe kind.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 08:30:15 PM by Tes »
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 26, 2010, 08:51:36 PM »
along with his sidekick, Paco, he was among europe's top 3 or 4 coaches, asi

and we sacked him for woy........incredible, absolutely incredible.

but I do agree with you re him being way way too political........someone needed to sit down with him and tell him the liverpool way (don't wash dirty laundry in public).

He was but don't you think he lost something after paco left?

It was all downhill for Rafa after he broke up with Paco. It'll be very interesting to see if he'll ever win a trophy again witout him. His best bet will probably be winning Serie A this season, although that will mostly be down to the work of Mourinho.

Pedantic Pete says: Pako Ayestaran was his assistant.  Paco Herrera was the head scout and assistant coach.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 26, 2010, 08:53:10 PM »
some research

Pelligini

Honours as a Manager

Universidad Católica, Copa Interamericana: 1994, Copa Chile: 1995

LDU Quito, Serie A: 1999

San Lorenzo, Primera División: 2001 Clausura, Copa Mercosur: 2001

River Plate, Primera División: 2003 Clausura

Villarreal, UEFA Intertoto Cup: 2004

hmmmm, he hasn't exactly won much.  11 years since anything of note - and that was in south america......and in these past 10 years in europe, all he has won is the intertoto cup (in 2004)

I am reviewing my decision and am going back to Hiddink (for the anfield hotseat).

FOR IMMEDIATE PRESS RELEASE: LIVERPOOL BOARD (Lord Tes & Sir Rupert Dude) SPLIT ON MANAGER CHOICE
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 26, 2010, 08:54:54 PM »
Pedantic Pete says: Pako Ayestaran was his assistant.  Paco Herrera was the head scout and assistant coach.

PAKO sounds right.  I mix them all up and use both PAKO and PACO to cover my tracks. 
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 26, 2010, 09:05:16 PM »
I was looking at the whole situation again and trying to figure out why was there such a fuss about Roy this year and why he was in such demand at club and International level. I accept that he was the reason for Fulhams monumental achievement of getting fulham to the Uefa Cup final. After that I was stumped. Theres nothing there for me that suggests he should even have been considered for the Liverpool role.

Simple, Juan. The media. The media in this country are so desperate for an English manager to be successful, that they build up any 'success', blow it out of all proportion and conveniently do away with any form of context.

Roy was successful for Fulham. Fulham were successful for Fulham. The know nothings then simply think that can be translated into the same at a much bigger club.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 26, 2010, 09:07:03 PM »
PAKO sounds right.  I mix them all up and use both PAKO and PACO to cover my tracks.

From now on he'll simply be known as 'Packo'.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 26, 2010, 09:09:26 PM »
From now on he'll simply be known as 'Packo'.

:D

Packo Punch, our Spanish top agent

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 26, 2010, 09:12:18 PM »
Simple, Juan. The media. The media in this country are so desperate for an English manager to be successful, that they build up any 'success', blow it out of all proportion and conveniently do away with any form of context.

Roy was successful for Fulham. Fulham were successful for Fulham. The know nothings then simply think that can be translated into the same at a much bigger club.

Its a shame Tes. When you decide to replace someone like Rafa who achieved what he achieved you dont do it lightly. You ensure whoever is to take his place has all the attributes to be a marked improvement. The board missed their opportunity and the crisis has now moved away from the boardroom and back onto the pitch. Why cant both be run in harmony?

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 26, 2010, 09:21:59 PM »
Its a shame Tes. When you decide to replace someone like Rafa who achieved what he achieved you dont do it lightly. You ensure whoever is to take his place has all the attributes to be a marked improvement. The board missed their opportunity and the crisis has now moved away from the boardroom and back onto the pitch. Why cant both be run in harmony?

big well-performing clubs that have consistency, have top expertise in the boardroom, Juan.

we have not had that these past 20 years.

moores and parry did real well to bring in Benitez.  But apart from Benitez, what top manager have our board appointed since Bob Paisley 36 years ago.

oh for a peter robinson and john smith on the board.

this is why I would love to see someone like david dein at anfield.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 26, 2010, 09:29:02 PM »
big well-performing clubs that have consistency, have top expertise in the boardroom, Juan.

we have not had that these past 20 years.

moores and parry did real well to bring in Benitez.  But apart from Benitez, what top manager have our board appointed since Bob Paisley 36 years ago.

oh for a peter robinson and john smith on the board.

this is why I would love to see someone like david dein at anfield.

David Dein would be the man. Its a possibility but not probable.