December 06, 2019, 12:58:50 AM

Author Topic: The Roy Hodgson Thread  (Read 131630 times)

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Roy Hodgson Thread
« Reply #375 on: October 27, 2010, 06:58:57 PM »
I don't see any problems there. We need to be smarter like a*senal are and get ourselves outside of the current football bubble. That way when it does burst we will be in the best position to hopefully take advantage and not let a*senal have it all to themselves.

Two players readily spring to mind that highlight the problem, Gary Cahill and Adam Johnson. Both players in positions we've needed strengthening. Both English, and it's not as though the limits came as a bolt out of the blue.
Cahill was let go by Villa for £5M. After his first season he was being valued at double that, now it's nearer treble that.
Johnson, contract due to run out at end of '09/'10 season. City bought him Jan 2010. Summer '09 he'd have been available. Since '07/'08 it's been obvious how talented he was. Would have been a much smarter purchase than Riera in Summer '08, or as a replacement in Summer '09 as Riera had already proved to be pretty average after a reasonable start. http://www.anfieldroad.co.uk/forum/liverpool-fc/the-rumour-post/msg7234/#msg7234   

Tes the last line of that article was added in by me just in case someone takes it up with the Telegraph

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 27, 2010, 07:00:46 PM »
I'd like to put myself forward.

Dude do you have some kind of award by your fellow peers, beer drinking contest, anything?

If so your under serious consideration.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 27, 2010, 08:09:22 PM »
He'd need a manager of the month award for serious consideration.

Di Matteo will have one of those soon.  :D
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 27, 2010, 08:15:27 PM »
Dude do you have some kind of award by your fellow peers, beer drinking contest, anything?

I've got a cycling proficiency badge. Does that count?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 27, 2010, 08:17:31 PM »
Tes the last line of that article was added in by me just in case someone takes it up with the Telegraph

And here was me thinking the standard of factual journalism had suddenly soared.

Juan, you watch, they'll update their web page and include it.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 27, 2010, 09:12:45 PM »

let's see........unlike Woy, I always get results on my travels.

and I managed a very successful 5-a-side team (player-boss).

and after a few beers, I know everything.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 27, 2010, 09:14:12 PM »
Di Matteo will have one of those soon.  :D

i knew di matteo would get mentioned again soon.    :D

just you wait til the end of the season!
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 27, 2010, 09:36:24 PM »
i knew di matteo would get mentioned again soon.    :D

just you wait til the end of the season!

LMA Manager of the Year.  ;D

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 27, 2010, 09:47:31 PM »
LMA Manager of the Year.  ;D

Schaffhausen Manager of the Century more like!  :D

(he was born there - small area in switzerland)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 28, 2010, 12:13:13 AM »
Schaffhausen Manager of the Century more like!  :D

(he was born there - small area in switzerland)

The Emmental Manager of Forver goes to Mr Diane Matteo

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 28, 2010, 01:24:52 AM »
To lose Torres would be disaster, to lose Reina unforgivable, to lose both would be an absolute disgrace.

Although for the moment its just tabloid talk it ties in with the inside info Jim had on the pair being unhappy last weekend. I couldnt blame them for not wanting to play under Roy, hes not going to take either of their careers to the next level. I cant think of one top class player that owes a debt of gratitude to Hodgson for taking them to stardom.

Get a top manager in now to prevent the inevitable exodus. You couldnt blame them when you hear Hodgson compare Carragher to Carlos Alberto. Hes off his rockers  ???  ???  ???.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Liverpool-transfer-news-Fernando-Torres-and-Pepe-Reina-are-set-use-secret-escape-clauses-to-quit-club-in-January-with-Manchester-United-Manchester-City-and-Arsenal-ready-to-pounce-article614763.html

Fernando Torres and Pepe Reina are ready to quit Liverpool in January thanks to secret escape clauses in their contracts.

The Spain internationals made the get-out agreements with their Anfield bosses in the summer when they were persuaded to stay despite the departure of Spanish boss Rafa Benitez.

Now Torres and Reina, key to Roy Hodgson’s attempts to steer the club away from the relegation zone, want out after promises of major team investment went unfulfilled.

Mirror Sport understands the pair will tell the club in December they wish to leave, with Manchester City keen on £50 million Torres and Manchester United and Arsenal pursuing £20m Reina.
Quantcast

The double whammy will devastate Liverpool fans who hoped John W Henry’s purchase of the club would bring the glory days back to Anfield.

Instead, the American has made it clear there will be no major spending in January, and with many players unhappy with the direction the club is taking under Hodgson, Torres and Reina are ready to make a move.

Torres was talked into staying in the summer when a three man delegation flew to Madrid for secret talks with with the striker’s representatives on July 14 - three days after the World Cup Final.

It is understood Torres lawyer Margarita Pilar Garay-Bret and Jose Antonio Martin were present at the meeting.

One member of the delegation remained in Madrid to speak directly with Torres before returning to Liverpool confident the Spaniard would stay.

Torres and Spanish teammate Reina - a powerful voice in the dressing room - were both poised to quit Liverpool at the time with Chelsea having tabled a £50 million bid for Torres while Arsenal had offered £20 million for Reina.

Both were upset at the lack of investment, the club’s failure to secure Champions League status and the grim reality of their Premiership title hopes.

Torres was eventually persuaded to remain at Liverpool after three days of talks - during which the delegation described in detail plans laid out specifically by Christian Purslow, the club’s chief executive who quit last week following the sale of the club.

Torres was told the new owners - that were not identified to him - were in place and ‘days’ away from completing the Liverpool takeover.

It is claimed he was told Roy Hodgson’s appointment was a temporary measure and a big name manager was already lined up - armed with a £100 million transfer kitty offered as a ‘quick fix’ to drag the club back on terms with Manchester United, Chelsea and Manchester City.

It is understood Liverpool planned to spend £50 million in the summer with a further £50 million available in January for targets no longer chasing Champions League ambitions.

Torres and Reina reluctantly agreed to stay at Anfield - but only on condition they each had an escape clause written into their contracts.

Mirror Sport can reveal the pair are now furious at the subsequent takeover - not directly with new American owner John W Henry or New England Sports Venture - but with the management team they feel misled them over the club’s future.

Hodgson has been told there will be no marquee signings in the January transfer window leaving Torres and Reina feeling they have wasted a season.

Insiders at Anfield fear that without Champions League qualification the club will struggle to make a profit - but crucially then have nothing to offer potential big name signings.

Mirror Sport revealed on Tuesday that Reina has been targeted by Sir Alex Ferguson for a sensational switch to Manchester United - and that now could happen in January.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger will resume his quest to sign the keeper and the immediate lure of Champions League football will prove a massive draw for the World Cup winner.

Torres will have his pick of clubs - even though the ‘big’ clubs very rarely make marquee signings in January because most major players are cup tied - thanks to Liverpool’s failure to qualify for this season’s Champions League.

Representatives of Torres and Reina did not respond to attempts to contact them yesterday.

Jas_lfc

« Reply #386 on: October 28, 2010, 08:36:11 AM »
Without jumping the guns, I would like to say that we must not get rattled by a Mirror article. They are known for spouting s*** all the time, and mostly in cases where LFC is involved. I have read their stories in the past which can make your eyes bleed, and the current one is similar to those.

Whilst it will be disastrous to lose any of the two aforementioned, it is worse to fall in the trap of sensationalist journalism. There have been too many rumors doing rounds about things that are not true, and people are buying into it. One of the prime reasons that sites such as Kraptalk exist.

In a world where newspapers can publish incorrect data, like the recent sunday times article about our points table from the last 5 years, and get away with it we have to be careful what we believe. What I do believe is that Roy is nowhere near what we need. I cried foul when he came in, when he tried to sign Konchesky and things have proved exactly as the way most fans thought they would.

Clearly some of the important players look disappointed at the moment, but lets not take away the Torres fitness issue. He was stretching after scoring our second goal. He gets easily beaten for pace, which fuels another agenda of sky of late labeling him as not interested.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 08:41:40 AM by Jas_lfc »

FowlersGod

« Reply #387 on: October 28, 2010, 08:53:24 AM »
Without jumping the guns, I would like to say that we must not get rattled by a Mirror article. They are known for spouting s*** all the time, and mostly in cases where LFC is involved. I have read their stories in the past which can make your eyes bleed, and the current one is similar to those.

Whilst it will be disastrous to lose any of the two aforementioned, it is worse to fall in the trap of sensationalist journalism. There have been too many rumors doing rounds about things that are not true, and people are buying into it. One of the prime reasons that sites such as Kraptalk exist.

In a world where newspapers can publish incorrect data, like the recent sunday times article about our points table from the last 5 years, and get away with it we have to be careful what we believe. What I do believe is that Roy is nowhere near what we need. I cried foul when he came in, when he tried to sign Konchesky and things have proved exactly as the way most fans thought they would.

Clearly some of the important players look disappointed at the moment, but lets not take away the Torres fitness issue. He was stretching after scoring our second goal. He gets easily beaten for pace, which fuels another agenda of sky of late labeling him as not interested.

The only person that has some sort of idea of what LFC is about working for the Mirror is Brian Reade which suprises me the paper itself doesn't get him involved more in that side of things.

As for Sky, they had and always had an agenda against LFC after all Murdoch does own it.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 28, 2010, 12:16:56 PM »
Welcome Welcome Jas_lfc, fowlersGod.

Totally agree on the Mirror and most other tabloids for that matter, I normally wouldnt waste my breath. The Mirror post this as an exclusive but dont even provide quotes or one element of proof. The only reason I think there could be an element of truth to this story is because Jim boardman reported on the anfieldroad.com site that he had inside information to suggest the two players were in fact unhappy.

I think its conceivable Torres will probably leave in the summer unless there is a huge change of performance levels in every department of the club. Its just worrying when you hear Reina being reportedly unhappy too. He is Mr dependable and was the first to commit his future to the club in the summer.

I guess the fact that we are only 8 point off 4th after having such a disastrous start makes me feel if the right manager were brought that could galvanise the team then 4th would still be possible the fact that its so early in the year. Then maybe then players like Reina and Torres might stay. 

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 28, 2010, 03:20:03 PM »
welcome jas and fowlersgod.

the mirror is a crap paper...........there is only one thing in it worth reading, and that is brian reade's column.

as for reina and torres - I have no problem losing torres........the endless sicknote is becoming a pain in the ass. 

but reina is a diamond.  He must be kept at all costs.