December 11, 2019, 04:30:44 PM

Author Topic: The Roy Hodgson Thread  (Read 132465 times)

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
Re: The Roy Hodgson Thread
« Reply #390 on: October 28, 2010, 03:27:26 PM »
I think Woy may continue in his current role until the summer unless we are still rooted near the bottom of the table at Christmas.  My belief is that NESV will use the season as a learning curve and try not to make any rash decision regarding the managers position so early into their tenure.  I'm pretty sure the last thing thay want to be seen as is owners trying to destabilise the club in anyway. 

My personal feeling is that a change of manager will occur next summer and that the new man will be given the funds to bring in new players then.  My reasoning is based on the recent suggestion that NESV would not be spending money on players during this January's transfer window.  Ok, it sounds too simple but stranger things have happened!
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Jas_lfc

« Reply #391 on: October 28, 2010, 03:45:28 PM »
I think Woy may continue in his current role until the summer unless we are still rooted near the bottom of the table at Christmas.  My belief is that NESV will use the season as a learning curve and try not to make any rash decision regarding the managers position so early into their tenure.  I'm pretty sure the last thing thay want to be seen as is owners trying to destabilise the club in anyway. 

My personal feeling is that a change of manager will occur next summer and that the new man will be given the funds to bring in new players then.  My reasoning is based on the recent suggestion that NESV would not be spending money on players during this January's transfer window.  Ok, it sounds too simple but stranger things have happened!

Performances like this are unacceptable till christmas, infact they are unacceptable for the next few games. Look at what it will do to the Moral of the team. Heads will go down and most will want to leave the club. If the likes of Alonso and Mashcerano(both cosidered true to the reds cause) would want to leave after finishing 2nd in the league and playing fantastic footy. Why would the others not want to leave after playing shambles like we have? We dont want a riot here where it is hard to stop players from staying and shed load of investment is then needed to revive the club.

If this continues, he should be gone by the end of Nov. That gives the new manager a month to work with squad, find out what he needs, and get some reinforcements in January. Who says decent players are not available in Jan. IIRC, Skittle, Arbeloa, Maxi were brought in Jan. And did we not sign someone named Anelka in Jan? All these were bargain deals. A decent manager knows how to find his man.

This could provide us much needed stability by the end of the season and then hand him the transfer kitty he needs to improve the squad.

Note: Alonso and Mascherano both wanted to go after the season we finished second, Rafa blocked the transfer of Mascherano to Barcelona that season.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 28, 2010, 04:32:45 PM »
If the likes of Alonso and Mashcerano(both cosidered true to the reds cause) would want to leave after finishing 2nd in the league and playing fantastic footy. Why would the others not want to leave after playing shambles like we have?

Hear what your saying Jas (welcome to the forum btw) but Alonso never wanted to leave.  He was a true red.  Unfortunately Rafa had other idea's (Barry).  Masher, well he turned out to be a bit of mercenary in the end.  But then who could blame him or any other player (Benni) for looking at another club under H&G.
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Jas_lfc

« Reply #393 on: October 28, 2010, 05:53:09 PM »
Hear what your saying Jas (welcome to the forum btw) but Alonso never wanted to leave.  He was a true red.  Unfortunately Rafa had other idea's (Barry).  Masher, well he turned out to be a bit of mercenary in the end.  But then who could blame him or any other player (Benni) for looking at another club under H&G.

Cheers for the welcome mate..

Irrefutable, Rafa had a lot to do with Alonso leaving. But he brought him here and many more like him, so I will spare him that. Mascherano leaving had nothing to with the owners. He wanted to go to Barcelona, it sounded a dream move for him. Dont blame him because its a winner club. He will win loads with them.

Both served there time well here, and I feel we are lucky to have seen them play so regularly for so long.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: October 28, 2010, 05:58:20 PM »

My worry Gurdeep is that whilst they are 'learning' the team will continue to crumble. It's strange, now we're rid of the owners and the focus is thankfully back on the football, the feeling of being under a cloud still remains.

Welcome Jas_lfc and FowlersGod, good to see you guys on board.

Jas_lfc, do/did you post on TalkLFC?
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Jas_lfc

« Reply #395 on: October 28, 2010, 06:03:03 PM »
I do post at Talklfc mate, and who are you from there? I could be guessing Ste?

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 28, 2010, 06:46:08 PM »
My worry Gurdeep is that whilst they are 'learning' the team will continue to crumble. It's strange, now we're rid of the owners and the focus is thankfully back on the football, the feeling of being under a cloud still remains.
Actually Tes, what we need are a team of Kyrgiagoses!! If half the team had the drive and determination he's shown in recent games we wouldn't be in the position we are now.

But, chin up! We're going into the Bolton game with a decent level of confidence and all the players know how vital a win is. Roy wouldn't dare to play a defensive game. There's too much riding on it and he'll be aware of that just as much as we are.
Cheers,
Ray

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 28, 2010, 06:58:57 PM »
But, chin up! We're going into the Bolton game with a decent level of confidence and all the players know how vital a win is.

wish I was as confident as you, ASI

two wins for woy, they say from his last 66 away games, cannot fill anyone with much hope.

and as for starting to play offensively - that is not Woy's style. 
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: October 28, 2010, 07:52:41 PM »
wish I was as confident as you, ASI
Is there an alternative?

two wins for woy, they say from his last 66 away games, cannot fill anyone with much hope.
and as for starting to play offensively - that is not Woy's style. 
Then that will be his undoing dude. The owners, whilst not experts on football, will be watching with interest and after a decent performance last Sunday will be expecting more of the same.

He who dares Rodney Roy.  :D
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 28, 2010, 08:54:05 PM »
I do post at Talklfc mate, and who are you from there? I could be guessing Ste?

I haven't posted on there for many years, in fact haven't looked in there for an age.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: October 28, 2010, 09:04:11 PM »
Then that will be his undoing dude. The owners, whilst not experts on football, will be watching with interest and after a decent performance last Sunday will be expecting more of the same.

I think the games against wigan and stoke in 3 or 4 games time, may well be Woy's undoing, ASI.

our next game v bolton away, will probably be a draw at best........and no surprises if chelsea hammer us at anfield.

I think the game is up for Roy.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 28, 2010, 09:34:47 PM »
Is there an alternative?

He who dares Rodney Roy.  :D

ASI, I can probably force hope, but not confidence.

It's really whether Roy can shed the skin he's worn all his career and develop a new funkier version.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 28, 2010, 10:17:22 PM »
Woy is your radio norwich type.

We need a radio 1 happening type dude.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 28, 2010, 10:18:18 PM »
I think the games against wigan and stoke in 3 or 4 games time, may well be Woy's undoing, ASI.

our next game v bolton away, will probably be a draw at best........and no surprises if chelsea hammer us at anfield.

I think the game is up for Roy.

Well not if we beat Bolton and Chelsea it won't dude. It's hard to say what would be a defining game or games. Opinion can change very quickly depending not just on results but perfomances. If it's clear that Roy is using tactics that the players are not happy with then things could go pear-shaped as soon as Sunday.

I've watched the debate about possible replacements and there isn't a clear winner. Would a foreign manager be able to get to grips with the Prem League straight away? How would he fare in a transfer market? I'm not saying Roy is good in this area but I do think it's important that a replacement is chosen carefully. And if we can't agree what chance the owners can?

As for Chelsea hammering us? Don't think it would happen. In all the time I've supported Liverpool I can never remember a hammering especially at home.
Cheers,
Ray

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 28, 2010, 10:22:55 PM »
ASI, I can probably force hope, but not confidence.

It's really whether Roy can shed the skin he's worn all his career and develop a new funkier version.

Bolton aren't the hoof team they used to be. They are playing better footie which will help us play better footie and after last weekend I am hopeful the team will retain their confidence. But I agree, it's a fine line between hope and confidence given Roy's away record.

I'd love to hear his conversations with Stevie and Jamie. If they can't convince him a win is essential no-one can and he'll be signing his own resignation letter. We have to stay within 10 pts of 4th and wait for better times. CL footie is still a possibility but only if the players believe they can go out and win especially away from home.
Cheers,
Ray