December 13, 2019, 04:40:16 PM

Author Topic: The Roy Hodgson Thread  (Read 132803 times)

Clem

Re: The Roy Hodgson Thread
« Reply #435 on: November 01, 2010, 02:03:31 PM »
yes, he's playing games - knock everything and everyone else, so that he can be the hero (when he takes us out of the bottom three).

he must take us for being stupid.

Totally with you, The Dude.  Now 7 away wins in his 67  premier league career...

just how DID he get this job anyway? Surely Kenny didn't suggest him as the best candidate?

Clem

« Reply #436 on: November 01, 2010, 03:45:18 PM »
I'll not say anymore about Roy, I feel we have said it all on this thread and I don't want to sound like I have a personal grudge - I don't, but I can see no style or plan or development in his approach to the way the team functions.  This was written by Balkan Reds in the post tonight, and it sums it up for me:

"I hope Henry has plans that please core Lfc supporters, because hodgson seems to believe in his own BS!

he WANTED to be "judged" after 10 league games, - the judgement is "guilty" its sad that some are conned by the media into celebrating our jump to 12th place...and that the "new Yanks" are not experienced in managing footy to see through his BS! (or the pathetic english media lobby behind him)

as a life long RED its hard to take , since the 60's , when weaned on Shanks mentality and supporting each REDS team ..encouraging any player that wears the LiverBird on their chest ..and whoever managed that team, until now, I cant enjoy it..my heart wanted a win, and as always although I want my team to play beautiful footy i'd take a scambled win..a steal like sunday

...but I cant imagine iin my head being truly "happy" whilst that man is sitting in the managers seat..

trying to avoid bias is difficult , but my feeling is that hodgson has proven that there is not one thing about him thats good for LFC (that is, the LFC i want to support) ..the "10 games" gone by, and I feel that the "success " of recent wins are more down to the team than to "tactics" ...and I dont see a strategy ..

i cant bring myself ever to want to lose , but rh is not our man, he was appointed by the "corrupt regime" ..and like that nightmare, i want it to be over and him gone, i'd rather have NO coach than someone who disgusts me as he does, and makes me not want to even look or listen to his interviews or post-match "opinions"

..oh...MY man of the match...the 12th;

....THE TRAVELLING KOP, made it sound like our home game, all the best to all of you who were part of that , you deserve much much more!"

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: November 01, 2010, 04:46:13 PM »
I'll not say anymore about Roy, I feel we have said it all on this thread and I don't want to sound like I have a personal grudge - I don't, but I can see no style or plan or development in his approach to the way the team functions.  This was written by Balkan Reds in the post tonight, and it sums it up for me:

"I hope Henry has plans that please core Lfc supporters, because hodgson seems to believe in his own BS!

he WANTED to be "judged" after 10 league games, - the judgement is "guilty" its sad that some are conned by the media into celebrating our jump to 12th place...and that the "new Yanks" are not experienced in managing footy to see through his BS! (or the pathetic english media lobby behind him)

as a life long RED its hard to take , since the 60's , when weaned on Shanks mentality and supporting each REDS team ..encouraging any player that wears the LiverBird on their chest ..and whoever managed that team, until now, I cant enjoy it..my heart wanted a win, and as always although I want my team to play beautiful footy i'd take a scambled win..a steal like sunday

...but I cant imagine iin my head being truly "happy" whilst that man is sitting in the managers seat..

trying to avoid bias is difficult , but my feeling is that hodgson has proven that there is not one thing about him thats good for LFC (that is, the LFC i want to support) ..the "10 games" gone by, and I feel that the "success " of recent wins are more down to the team than to "tactics" ...and I dont see a strategy ..

i cant bring myself ever to want to lose , but rh is not our man, he was appointed by the "corrupt regime" ..and like that nightmare, i want it to be over and him gone, i'd rather have NO coach than someone who disgusts me as he does, and makes me not want to even look or listen to his interviews or post-match "opinions"

..oh...MY man of the match...the 12th;

....THE TRAVELLING KOP, made it sound like our home game, all the best to all of you who were part of that , you deserve much much more!"

A very good summary of how a lot of Liverpool fans feel right now.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: November 01, 2010, 05:38:57 PM »

a) I wish the media was strong enough to challenge them on their views.   I find their views often bordering on being racist.

b) Then again, look at much of the media - it too, is full of little englanders.

b) means a) happens. Nail on head, as always, Dude.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: November 01, 2010, 05:45:48 PM »

So after 10 games we're 5 places lower than we finished last season. A season that has been described in many derogatory terms by media, managers and ex-pro pudits alike. A position we've only just moved into after spending a long time in the bottom three. A position we never managed to plumb the depths of in the 'Annus horribilis' of last season.

Hardly a ringing endorsement.

Offline Ageing Stick Insect

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: November 01, 2010, 05:47:16 PM »
Then again, look at much of the media - it too, is full of little englanders.
I'm curious dude. Which newspapers do you find guilty of this? Would you also include Henry Winter and Rory Smith of the Telegraph?
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: November 01, 2010, 05:54:44 PM »
I'm curious dude. Which newspapers do you find guilty of this? Would you also include Henry Winter and Rory Smith of the Telegraph?

Henry Winter can be up there with the worst of them at times. Paul McCarthy and Martin Samuel are amongst the worse and James Lawton can push them close. Entry to the witches coven on 'Hold the back page' was pretty much always mandatory.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: November 01, 2010, 06:53:02 PM »
Henry Winter can be up there with the worst of them at times. Paul McCarthy and Martin Samuel are amongst the worse and James Lawton can push them close. Entry to the witches coven on 'Hold the back page' was pretty much always mandatory.
As a regular Telegraph reader I've never thought of Winter as a 'little Englander'. Is it not allowed to criticise foreign managers? He berated Benitez in the second half of last season for his selections and politics. For the most part I agreed with him so I suppose I'm a little Englander as well.

I'm not familiar with McCarthy and Samuel. Tabloids or broadsheets?
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: November 01, 2010, 07:28:09 PM »
As a regular Telegraph reader I've never thought of Winter as a 'little Englander'. Is it not allowed to criticise foreign managers? He berated Benitez in the second half of last season for his selections and politics. For the most part I agreed with him so I suppose I'm a little Englander as well.

I'm not familiar with McCarthy and Samuel. Tabloids or broadsheets?

Criticism is criticism and it's fine if warranted but there's a readiness to criticise foreign managers, especially those who don't manage London clubs, that simply isn't there for their British counterparts. We all criticised Benitez, his tactics, selections, substitutions, over caution and transfers and it was warranted and had a basis for it.
ASI, the difference is none of us, and that definately includes you, do it with the apparent relish the hacks do. Meanwhile, their praise is more begrudging.

Tabloids or broadsheets? I don't tend to see much of a difference if you take into account there is a style difference, obviously, it's the underlying message and the basis and regularity that still comes through.

It's even worse with all things England.

FowlersGod

« Reply #444 on: November 01, 2010, 07:33:26 PM »
Rafa at the Spurs/Inter pre match press conference:

"Hodgson talking about things he doesn't understand, he needs to stop talking about flops and concentrate on his job" "Some people can't see a priest in a mountain of sugar"

Legendary!

Continued...

'I brought dalglish back to do a role, christian purslow gave him another job.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 07:36:05 PM by FowlersGod »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: November 01, 2010, 07:36:47 PM »
Rafa at the Spurs/Inter pre match press conference:

"Hodgson talking about things he doesn't understand, he needs to stop talking about flops and concentrate on his job" "Some people can't see a priest in a mountain of sugar"

Legendary!

Milk and now sugar. I think Rafa's missing a good old English cuppa.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: November 01, 2010, 07:41:00 PM »
Criticism is criticism and it's fine if warranted but there's a readiness to criticise foreign managers, especially those who don't manage London clubs, that simply isn't there for their British counterparts. We all criticised Benitez, his tactics, selections, substitutions, over caution and transfers and it was warranted and had a basis for it.
ASI, the difference is none of us, and that definately includes you, do it with the apparent relish the hacks do. Meanwhile, their praise is more begrudging.
Thanks for the clarification Tes. I'm relieved I'm not thought of in that way but I do find the term "little Englander" rather offensive not regarding football but to those of us who would rather govern our own country than the EU do it for us whilst charging us obscene amounts of money for the privilege. Those who worship Brussels have referred to me using that term and I feel like knocking their blocks off (if I was capable which I'm not).

I'll have to read the WBA and Villa reports more closely and see if I can pick up on this.

Tabloids or broadsheets? I don't tend to see much of a difference if you take into account there is a style difference, obviously, it's the underlying message and the basis and regularity that still comes through.

It's even worse with all things England.
Is it really that blatant or are you reading between the lines?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 07:42:09 PM by Ageing Stick Insect »
Cheers,
Ray

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: November 01, 2010, 07:59:28 PM »
Guys, I think we ought to show Hodgson a bit more respect!

Granted he's not my first-choice for the job (in a million years!) and thought he was close to deserving the sack 2 or 3 games ago!

To give him his dues though, he has withstood enormous pressure and got some points on the board. Fair play! Even his press conferences are improving (he just needs to spectacularly fall out with Ferguson!). Maybe, we're approaching base camp, before ascending the table? Anyway,  the point is, with the Liverpool gig there's no place to hide, so he'll be found out soon enough if the recent wins were just fortunate (Blackburn missing their centre halves etc.), but in the meantime he's getting a bit of my grudging support!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: November 01, 2010, 08:45:50 PM »
Thanks for the clarification Tes. I'm relieved I'm not thought of in that way but I do find the term "little Englander" rather offensive not regarding football but to those of us who would rather govern our own country than the EU do it for us whilst charging us obscene amounts of money for the privilege. Those who worship Brussels have referred to me using that term and I feel like knocking their blocks off (if I was capable which I'm not).

I'm 4 square behind you on that ASI. I fail to see where the benefit of it all is. Nothing should impinge on a country's sovereignty.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: November 01, 2010, 10:09:26 PM »
I'm 4 square behind you on that ASI. I fail to see where the benefit of it all is. Nothing should impinge on a country's sovereignty.
Thanks Tes. Democracy appears dead in the UK and the EU. We don't even get a referendum on whether we should stay in the communistic-style EU. I don't use that word lightly. When Ireland votes no on the Lisbon Treaty it is told that is the wrong answer and told to vote again. 15 months later it gives the 'correct' answer under pain of economic meltdown. There are only two letters difference between communism and community. Speaks volumes doesn't it?  >:( :(

And tonight it's announced we're cooperating with the French on military matters. The Duke of Wellington would be outraged.
Cheers,
Ray