December 06, 2019, 10:53:50 PM

Author Topic: The Roy Hodgson Thread  (Read 131737 times)

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Roy Hodgson Thread
« Reply #480 on: November 05, 2010, 12:43:49 PM »
She's not bad in a 'after a few drinks' sort of way.

I'm sure shes married to Henry because she loves him dearly!!  ;D

"Thanks Money, I mean Honey".

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: November 05, 2010, 12:49:53 PM »
Pellegrini's off the market.....signed up for Malaga.

Thats a pity.

In Roy's world Malaga would probably be Liverpool's Spanish equivalent. They have had a similar start to us in the league!

If Pelegrini is off the list how about this guy;

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11833_6482940,00.html

Changing the Guard
Revista look at what the future holds for the Barca chief

Last updated: 3rd November 2010
Graham Hunter

Pep Guardiola will leave Barcelona - but not for at least another 12 months.

That was the verdict of Graham Hunter as Revista de la Liga looked at the stories linking the Barcelona boss with a move to England.

The Spanish press have reported that both Chelsea and Manchester United want the man who took the Catalan club to an unprecedented treble in his first season in charge.

With a new president, Sandro Rosell, now in situe at the Camp Nou, and his contract up at the end of the season, doubts have emerged surrounding Guardiola's future.

"I don't think it's coincidence at all that after this second meeting of the season with Sandro Rossell, a new president with whom he has got an empathy, but an edgy developing relationship, that two different papers - one a Madrid paper but with a Catalan, writer the other a Catalan paper - have run storties about Manchester United wanting him, Chelsea wanting him," Hunter told Revista.

But rather than mean the coach is about to walk out on Lionel Messi and co, Hunter believes he is merely strengthening his hand when it does come to negotiating a new deal.

That is likely to be done at the end of the year, but is not likely to be a long-term deal that will tie down a coach who has talked of a three or four-year plan for success - and is now in his third season.

"It's very traditional tactics," said Hunter.

"Pep is a clever man, he is using the power play so when he talks about renewing his contract - he's out of contract at the end of the season but the club obviously want him - when he talks about what players he might buy, what players need to be sold and how he might handle the debts, he needs a powerful hand. I think he's manipulated the media very well indeed.

"Will he stay or not? I'm not entirely clear but I trust in (Andoni) Zubizarreta who, as well as saying this week they are interested in Gareth Bale, says 'we believe we have a long-term coach in Pep Guardiola'.

"At this stage I think that means another 12 months. I think he'll probably stay, not forever, but for the short-term at least."

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: November 05, 2010, 01:02:34 PM »

Sheesh....my standards must be pretty low as I wouldn't say NO....lol
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: November 05, 2010, 01:43:53 PM »

I wouldnt need a drink to look after her for a couple of hours whilst Johns busy at the game. Your standards must be very high Tes because after a few drinks my beer goggles tell me the women in the link below is worth a go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxPZh4AnWyk

Offline Kopite999

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: November 05, 2010, 01:49:24 PM »
I'm only joking. I wouldnt touch her on a few drinks. No way. Maybe 5 and i'd start thinking about :o :o :o

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: November 05, 2010, 03:35:32 PM »
Sheesh....my standards must be pretty low as I wouldn't say NO....lol

she looks the business to me too, gurdeep!

very nice.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: November 05, 2010, 03:36:07 PM »
I wouldnt need a drink to look after her for a couple of hours whilst Johns busy at the game. Your standards must be very high Tes because after a few drinks my beer goggles tell me the women in the link below is worth a go

lolololol
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: November 05, 2010, 03:39:24 PM »
ok with pelegini off to malaga.......where do we go from here.

suggestions?

I'm still going with hetzfeld.

Juan mentions guardiola

Tes is big on Di Matteo

I'll also throw in guus  :D

what about Scolari?

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: November 05, 2010, 05:08:15 PM »
Heres something interesting. I wont paste the full articles but will give you the gist. When Comolli was signed the other day Roy suggested that he would have final say on transfers.

This is a quote from Roy from an article in the guardian;

Asked whether he retained the final say on signings, the manager replied: "I do, yes. We will have to wait and see, I suppose, but there is no reason for me not to believe that. I would be very surprised if managers and coaches of the class of Martin Jol and Juande Ramos just took players totally on somebody else's recommendation. It won't happen here. I don't think so anyway.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/nov/04/roy-hodgson-liverpool-damien-comolli-appointment

Although there are no quotes from Henry to confirm so the article below suggests Roy will need to go Comolli to give the final say on a transfer. I suppose we will find out for sure in time.

http://sport.virginmedia.com/football/article/2010/11/05/hodgson_surprised_by_comolli_deal_henry

Henrys quotes do suggest Roy will get a chance to turn things around so it is looking like Roys sticking around for a while. Heres one quote from Henry to back that up.

The model really requires people of certain personalities for it to work and Roy and Damien are two personalities who will mesh well together."

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: November 05, 2010, 07:46:19 PM »
Interesting article;

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2010/1105/1224282783086.html

No guarantees for Hodgson from Henry

Soccer: Liverpool owner John W Henry declined to give any guarantees about under-fire manager Roy Hodgson's long-term future but said there were no immediate plans for change.

The American, who took over the Premier League club last month, was similarly non-committal about plans for a new ground, saying it could take another two years before the Merseyside club decided whether to build a new stadium or expand Anfield.

Asked if Hodgson, under pressure after a poor start to the season, was the right man for the job, Henry said: "He certainly is at this point. I can't make any promises about the future for anything in the organisation because two months ago I didn't know that much about English football."

Henry, whose New England Sports Ventures (NESV) also owns baseball's Boston Red Sox, added: "We tend to stay with our managers and our general managers. Roy didn't build this team so I think he has been unfairly criticised this year.

"I think it is my role at this point to support him in every way, to make sure he has the resources to accomplish what he wants to accomplish. There is no change that is imminent."

He promised investment in the squad but did not give any clue as to how much money Hodgson, at Anfield since July, might have to spend in the next transfer window. Decisions on buying players would be taken collectively by the manager, new director of football strategy Damien Comolli and the board, Henry said.

"We need to invest in this team," he said, adding that Liverpool were well placed to compete financially with the top clubs but needed "to work on the football side".

"Our long term objectives are to be able to compete with Arsenal, Manchester United and Chelsea. We have to be able to be competitive with them at the top of the league every year," he said.

"In order to do that we have to build a long-term strategy, you can't do things for the short term. Some things were done before we came in that were stop gaps for the short term, we've got to change that."

Clem

« Reply #490 on: November 05, 2010, 08:35:34 PM »
the more they all say, the less it sounds like my club anymore, the less it feels like liverpool.

JohnnyH

« Reply #491 on: November 05, 2010, 09:15:20 PM »
Hodgson is here until June at the very least.  Get used to it.  Although Henry didn't give a long term backing, he very clearly said Hodgson deserves to be allowed to create a team and see from there.  That means he gets the January transfer and, at the very least, the second half of the season to see how they play.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: November 06, 2010, 12:31:44 AM »
the more they all say, the less it sounds like my club anymore, the less it feels like liverpool.

Couldn't agree more.

And who are NESV turning to for football advice?  Where did they get Comolli whatever his name is from??? Who told them that hiring this guy would be a good move?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: November 06, 2010, 01:12:36 AM »

She's a whole brewery's worth, at least. Chastity is more appealing than that 'not so' wee Scots lassie.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: November 06, 2010, 01:17:58 AM »
Couldn't agree more.

And who are NESV turning to for football advice?  Where did they get Comolli whatever his name is from??? Who told them that hiring this guy would be a good move?

Billy Beane, the general manager of the Oakland A's baseball team. These Americans really need to 'get out more'. Forget what they know as far as 'sports' are concerned and learn about European, including English, football from Europeans.   
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.