December 10, 2019, 05:57:43 AM

Author Topic: The Roy Hodgson Thread  (Read 132321 times)

Clem

Re: The Roy Hodgson Thread
« Reply #570 on: November 15, 2010, 07:52:46 PM »
Goog God Almighty, Christ on a bike- look at this stat from the Mail:

"105 away league games since 1980 with Bristol City, Blackburn, Fulham and Liverpool he has won only 13 times and managed just 35 draws"

with 3 pts per win thats 74 pts from a possible 315. omg.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: November 15, 2010, 08:29:37 PM »
We need a manager that lets our team loose. Make teams worry about us rather than us petrified of them.

I'd agree, if we had a decent defence/midfield.

but with our present lot, if we threw the kitchen sink at the opposition, we'd get hammered by a lot of teams.

with carra, konchenksy, skitrail, and the big greek lad......and no decent holding midfielder to cover that poor defence, we'd get mauled.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: November 15, 2010, 08:32:02 PM »

"105 away league games since 1980 with Bristol City, Blackburn, Fulham and Liverpool he has won only 13 times and managed just 35 draws"

even worse if you look at the past 12 years......roy has won only eight times away from home in the premiership.

scary.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: November 15, 2010, 09:03:44 PM »

Blimey!  This information must twittered to John W Henry immediately.  Snarler Gurdeep is on the case  8)
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: November 15, 2010, 09:10:30 PM »
Tweeted!
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: November 15, 2010, 11:18:03 PM »

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: November 15, 2010, 11:31:00 PM »
http://tomkinstimes.com/2010/11/roys-hodgsons-managerial-record/

Very depressing viewing.

Worse than Graham Souness, to be honest it doesn't surprise me. I'm still flabbergasted that people actually wanted him to become our manager. At no point in his career did he ever look remotely up to it.

Hopefully John Henry keeps reading Tomkins articles because Tomkins tends to speak Henrys language with his use of numbers.

Clem

« Reply #577 on: November 15, 2010, 11:51:11 PM »
Well i don't know what to make of this - why was he appointed in the first place (as in, what was the 'rationale') and did Kenny Dalglish recommend him after Purslow turned him down? This is an indictment of the man and confirmation of everything we feared - but Henry is standing behind him because he just isn't getting the right information. I think the only ay henry is going to realise what a mediocre manager we have is for the entire Kop to start singing for kenny. If we lose, or even draw, then it will be about 6 45 pm this Saturday. Will he ever hear us?

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: November 15, 2010, 11:54:13 PM »
Worse than Graham Souness, to be honest it doesn't surprise me. I'm still flabbergasted that people actually wanted him to become our manager. At no point in his career did he ever look remotely up to it.

Hopefully John Henry keeps reading Tomkins articles because Tomkins tends to speak Henrys language with his use of numbers.

TBH Juan I find it hard to believe that any liverpool fan wanted to see Roy take charge.

I remember watching the World Cup and seeing Woy on the beeb.  Gary Linekar was asking Woy about the Liverpool vacancy.  Woy was being very candid and not giving anything away. 
Just thought of him managing liverpool had my stomach churning!

I really can't see how NESV can standby him any longer.  It's pretty obvious that the majority of supporter want him out.  His position is becoming untenable day by day imho.  Plus his interviews don't help him much either.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: November 16, 2010, 12:02:16 AM »
Well i don't know what to make of this - why was he appointed in the first place (as in, what was the 'rationale') and did Kenny Dalglish recommend him after Purslow turned him down? This is an indictment of the man and confirmation of everything we feared - but Henry is standing behind him because he just isn't getting the right information. I think the only ay henry is going to realise what a mediocre manager we have is for the entire Kop to start singing for kenny. If we lose, or even draw, then it will be about 6 45 pm this Saturday. Will he ever hear us?

Keep the faith Clem.  2 down 1 to go!

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: November 16, 2010, 08:29:19 AM »
The Tomkins articles are always insightful and in the main they're bang on accurate...extremely damning for Hodgson...

but...

who to take over?

Because of the dithering, Pellegrini is out of the picture...a major disaster for us...malaga under pellegrini...2 straight wins...b4 pellegrini 1 win, 2 draws, 4 lost in 7....

Hiddink was approached in the summer and according to some sources , the 64 year-old former Chelsea boss, revealed: “In the summer City and Liverpool both came to me with an inquiry. But at my age I don’t want to manage a club again for seven days a week over three years.” So it looks like he's out...

Meanwhile....potential Liverpool target PSV player Afellay signs for Barca...
and todays news from the mail...is that there won't even be any buys in the january window...mail BS perhaps and at least it means Roy doesn't get to spend it...

Nerve succeeds and all that...decisions on Roy and players need to be made...

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: November 16, 2010, 09:30:45 AM »
The Tomkins articles are always insightful and in the main they're bang on accurate...extremely damning for Hodgson...

but...

who to take over?

Because of the dithering, Pellegrini is out of the picture...a major disaster for us...malaga under pellegrini...2 straight wins...b4 pellegrini 1 win, 2 draws, 4 lost in 7....

Hiddink was approached in the summer and according to some sources , the 64 year-old former Chelsea boss, revealed: “In the summer City and Liverpool both came to me with an inquiry. But at my age I don’t want to manage a club again for seven days a week over three years.” So it looks like he's out...

and todays news from the mail...is that there won't even be any buys in the january window...mail BS perhaps and at least it means Roy doesn't get to spend it...

My understanding is that Henry conducted an interview with RAWK in which he commented on the fact they did not see January as the time to look to acquire new players.  He wanted transfer business to be held during next summer - maybe enough time for them to identify a new manager???
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 09:31:53 AM by Gurdeep »

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: November 16, 2010, 12:27:14 PM »
TBH Juan I find it hard to believe that any liverpool fan wanted to see Roy take charge.

I remember watching the World Cup and seeing Woy on the beeb.  Gary Linekar was asking Woy about the Liverpool vacancy.  Woy was being very candid and not giving anything away. 
Just thought of him managing liverpool had my stomach churning!

I really can't see how NESV can standby him any longer.  It's pretty obvious that the majority of supporter want him out.  His position is becoming untenable day by day imho.  Plus his interviews don't help him much either.

To be honest I was so desperate for Roy not to get the job I wanted England to lose their last group game in the WC, Capello to get the sack and Roy to get the England job. Its the only way I could see him been taken out of the picture.

I can understand Nesvs position to be honest. Hodgson has probably been talked up by Broughton and Purslow. They have heard how the clubs crisis and current state of affairs is all down to Rafa. They dont know football yet so I think before making any huge decisions on things they know nothing about they are prepared to wait and see how Roy does for themselves.

I really really like the fact they have taken an interest and met Tomkins. His outlook on the game is purely based on numbers and as you see through the article you posted Hodgsons numbers are pretty awful, not just at Liverpool anywhere hes been. So I very much expect that its inevitable Roy will go unless the teaam makes drastic improvements. The worry for me is whether Torres and Reina will be still here when Henry makes that change.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: November 16, 2010, 12:33:05 PM »

but...

who to take over?

It really is sickening to see Pelligrini start so well, simply because it shows us what we are missing.

I know he has signed a 3 year  deal at Malaga but do you not think it would be worth investigating. Funnier things have happened and it may be Pelligrinis last chance to manage a big club  in the PL. Maybe his contract has a clause. All wishful thinking but when the time comes to hire a new manager it may well be worth investigating.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: November 16, 2010, 12:41:15 PM »

I think the fact that Kenny put himself forward for the job was a massive vote of no confidence in Roy. And when Kenny did put his name forward Roy was clear favourite. So I wouldnt say Kenny ever backed Roy as such but it was more of a case that Purslow intended to hire Roy whatever the circumstances and Kenny either had to row in behind or probably look for a job elsewhere. I dont think he got any other option but to back Roy in the end. And the fact that Kennys son came out publicly on two separate occasions pleading to give the job to his father basically saying everything Kenny couldnt shows that he thought he was best man for the job out of who they were considering.